Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be super helpful if we knew his typical behaviour in a stressful situation. Did he sometimes take off for a few days? Then come back, more subdued, with his tail between his legs.

This could be something that sparked his parents concern. Because I am not seeing why they bothered to reveal he is missing at all, if they are not concerned for his life.

I would imagine that the police know. It is just that we don't know.

Good thinking.
The basis of your thought is correct, what did he do in past stressful situations? That would be his filter and behavior and could offer some insight. A parents filter would be elevated to concern and protect as this isn’t a typical stressful situation. He is a POI in his girlfriends missing persons case. He didn’t go over his credit card limit, get a speeding ticket, etc.
Concern would have kicked in the very night he didn’t come home IMO. How did they expect him to get home if they picked up the car? Why take the car if they thought he was fine at that point and would drive it back in a few days?
Spitballing thoughts…

I was kind of hoping the "who is the abuser" conversation died when we re-opened the thread but since it hasn't I'm going to bring this forward with some more comments.

IMO the totality of the evidence we have shows they were both being abusive to each other.

THEY BOTH put marks on each other.
ONE officer determined that Gabby was the “primary aggressor”. I’m super supportive of LE in most instances However, IMO that officer made a bad call in calling Gabby the aggressor because NO ONE ever asked Gabby when the injury to her face occurred so a timeline isn't clearly established. That officer did not contribute to the police report and the officers that did contribute state it was a mental health episode and not domestic violence. Everyone here is talking about looking at this incident with a bias from their own lives without considering that officer that determined that Gabby was the primary aggressor stated that his ex wife and him had these issues and he himself could have been biased.

Transcribed from body cam video
9:04
Officer: "Did he hit you"
GP : "He liked grabbed me" (puts hands to face grabbing to demonstrate)
Officer: “Don't worry, be honest”
GP: “He like .. he like this .... (puts hands on face grabbing again) He didn't like hit me (makes punching motion) (inaudible)
Officer: Did he slap your face or what?”
GP: “He like grabbed (inaudible) it cut me here ... (strokes left cheek) ... I can feel it now ... *starts crying* (see photo - this mark is exactly where she's touching her face)”

12:24
Officer: “This officer noticed you have marks on your face”
BL : “ I put marks on her too “

21:08
Officer giving witness statement : He said he never saw the male strike the female. He saw the male trying to lock her out of the vehicle ..... he hung her backpack on the back probably so she'd have her *expletive* ... the witness is saying I never saw him hit her I saw him shove her he couldn't say if it was an aggression against her or a defense against her.

From Police Report :
Officer Eric Pratt : "It wasn't clear, but I believe it was reported the male had been observed to have assaulted the female" "It appears this incident is more accurately categorized as a mental health break than a domestic assault"

Officer Robbins:
Christoper stated that Brian got into the van, he saw what appeared to him as Gabby hitting Brian in the arm and then climbing through the driver side window as if Brian had locked her out and she was trying to find a way in.

Brian said Gabby thinking he was going to leave her in Moab without a ride , went to slap him. As Gabby started to swing Brian pushed her away to avoid the slap. But she still caught his face leaving some visible scratches.

After evaluating the totality of the circumstances I do NOT believe the situation escalated to the level of domestic assault as much as that of a mental health crisis .

They did BOTH have their own cell phones in case of emergency.

————
We also have witness testimony that BL was controlling to Gabby. Including limiting her friends, taking her ID and limiting her activities (Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online)

And we KNOW that BL left her somewhere, returned to FL alone and is now on the run.

YES!! All.of.this.

Can we please drop the differences of agreement on this topic and focus on evidence that could be pertinent to finding GP?! Please?

What is not inconsequential, and I believe was the point of the discussion, is that he deprived her of her ability to travel, take shelter, cook, etc. And the fact that it was actually her own vehicle makes it all the more heinous.
This. Exactly this.
It speaks to his character and state of mind.
He denies her control of her own personal space/possessions and removes her autonomy over her own life. It's an abusive powerplay and disrespectful.
He then further degrades her by telling her she is incapable of handling her SM business.

Last edited:
That’s when I knew as well. And knew almost without a doubt that he had been gaslighting her all day long. Because she was working, for 5-6 hours in the coffee shop. And he was …. Not working.

At this point I’m so fed up with him and his parents that I wish if authorities find his body deep in the reserve that they would just report him dead and leave him there. Let his parents figure out how to find and retrieve his body.

Perfectly said!

Looking at the timeline, I want to know what proof there is that he flew home and she was in a hotel august 17-23. Where does that info originate? When was she last seen? August 30th FaceTime with mom? I wonder how she was acting. Who has seen him since August 29th (hitchhiking encounter.)

What if by the aug 12th interaction with cops he already had her under abduction? That could account for their behavior and her desperation but vocal affirmation of him. What if she was being kidnapped? By him? Weird, I know. No reason for the cops to have been psychic, so no reason for them to see anything but the lovers quarrel they both claim. She wants to survive and is too shocked to talk.

I still am not sure if he ever went back to Florida. He easily could have bribed someone to drive the van back. He may have hightailed it and hitchhiked to anywhere by now.

It would be super helpful if we knew his typical behaviour in a stressful situation. Did he sometimes take off for a few days? Then come back a day or two later, more subdued, with his tail between his legs.

This could be something that sparked his parents concern. Because I am not seeing why they bothered to reveal he is missing at all, if they are not concerned for his life.

I would imagine that the police know. It is just that we don't know.

It is possible that the parents are concerned for his safety after seeing the crowd/mob of people outside their home.

My time table has him leaving morning of 30th with 3 full days of driving to be there 9/1...its doable for a 23 year old.
since BL was trying to get to the van on the 29th.... your guess is spot on...sometime the PM night of the 29th to the 30th... the van on the 25th at Jenny Lake make me feel she was there or north of there after the 25th to the 29th. if he had the back country permit its appeared they could have parked overnight at Jenny lake parking lot also. So between Jenny Lake and Spread creek should be checked and up to colter Bay... how far could they venture on foot together?

Good thinking.
The basis of your thought is correct, what did he do in past stressful situations? That would be his filter and behavior and could offer some insight. A parents filter would be elevated to concern and protect as this isn’t a typical stressful situation. He is a POI in his girlfriends missing persons case. He didn’t go over his credit card limit, get a speeding ticket, etc.
Concern would have kicked in the very night he didn’t come home IMO. How did they expect him to get home if they picked up the car? Why take the car if they thought he was fine at that point and would drive it back in a few days?
Spitballing thoughts…

The only thing I can think of re: the car, is that he has done this before and left the car unattended where it has been in jeopardy of interference/vandalism/theft. And he has still made his way home, when he was ready.

Perhaps it is his mum's car, and he was not given permission to take it. And maybe is not insured to drive it under her policy.
Perhaps they thought he would call them for a ride home, when he was ready.

A lot of this two-day delay could be based on his past behaviour.

Because why not give him a two-week (or however long) 'headstart', if that is what they were doing?

IMO after 20+ days, if GL is already dead, they are only searching for bones which is gonna be tough to find. I wonder whether there are advanced devices capable of searching for bones just be scanning from a helicopter

I think we can mostly safely say that everything we "know" about BL's whereabouts and actions since about 8/25 has to be prefaced with the words, "His parents say..." right? His parents say he drove back on 9/1, his parents say he was in their home ever since, his parents say he took a hike at the Reserve and that's the last they saw of him, etc. Do we actually know any of that from any source other than his parents?

I agree. IMO. the reason they are using so many resources to find BL is because they think he may do himself in. If that happens, Gabby's location may never be known.
He still hasn't been charged with a crime that I know of, so they are not hunting a fugitive and once/if they fine him, he still doesn't have to talk to them.
He’s going to take answers to his grave. If LE was that worried about him how did they let him slip away in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member