Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spread Creek doesn't require a backcountry permit - but there are certainly both kinds of bears there. I've only seen grizzles a handful of times in my life, and one of those was near Colter Bay. That same grizzly attacked and killed a man while we were there. We saw two more not far from Colter Bay (mom and cub, we were in our car, thankfully).

The van would be perfect for a stay at Spread Creek (we slept in the back of our 4Runner, with two dogs - very crowded, but preferable to sleeping outside in grizzly country). When I was a kid, a grizzly ripped open a tent at the Yellowstone Canyon campground and dragged a woman out (didn't hurt her too badly, there was a lot of screaming and many people came, bear left the scene). The woman was not obeying park rules about food in the tent, though.

The area has two kinds of bears (both larger than California bears, but one is the same species as the California bears - who are very unlikely to attack anyone, I think we have 4 deaths over 100 years here).

I'm guessing if you stay in van in a dispersed camping area... no permits
are permits needed for when BL said he spent 3 days camping upwards of Colter Bay area?

I'm wonder why GP's mom is dismissing the TikTok video. Seeing him on the 29th gives him a minimum of 2 full days (30th, 31st) and 2 partial days (29th/1st) to get to Florida. I've done 13 hour drives with my two young kids by myself in one day. A guy in his 20's running on adrenaline can certainly drive 35 hours in 2+ days. MOO
It's possible the family has access to other info that we don't have yet (more phone pings, maybe?) that narrow the timeline of when the van left Grand Teton.

I'm wonder why GP's mom is dismissing the TikTok video. Seeing him on the 29th gives him a minimum of 2 full days (30th, 31st) and 2 partial days (29th/1st) to get to Florida. I've done 13 hour drives with my two young kids by myself in one day. A guy in his 20's running on adrenaline can certainly drive 35 hours in 2+ days. MOO
I took a trip to Arizona from Alabama this year with my son. Minus the time we spent trying to replace a broken windshield (happened 2 hours into our trip), the trip was 23 hours. I only slept two hours to do the drive, so within a day we'd gotten that far. I used to iron-man all my road trips when I was young. Almost 3 days to get from WY/CO to FL is totally doable.

The only reason why I think so is because of his rush to get back to the van was so great he was willing to pay $2oo to get there and it was only 10 minutes away.Why else would he be in such a rush to get back to the van?

MOO, I think the $200 thing could be more of an offer he knew would be refused. Or even that when he got somewhere he would just say he didn't actually have $200, but thanks for the ride. The way he talked to the cops he looks like a practiced smoozer/manipulator.

I used FlightRadar24 the other night to capture that curious circular flight route east of Jenny Lake, WY. That flight returned to Jackson Hole Airport at dusk. I've been checking off and on since and haven't seen any more 'search' type flights. Sometimes it's impossible to track search flights because search/police aircraft/helicopters remain invisible to FlightRadar24. That certainly seems to be the case for the LB search in Florida. Wonder if anyone else is able to track?
I'm not currently seeing any helicopters in the area, yet they said helicopters were being used today in WY.

No. Been discussed at length.

The open door is easily seen. imo

I just rewatched it again and noticed the red trailer off to the left at approx 1:07 and a dark pick-up truck off to the left at about 1:12. Both of these vehicles appear on the left, like Gabby's van, and appear prior to the people coming upon Gabby's van. Not sure if these were discussed but wonder if anyone has tried to get in touch with owners of those other vehicles because they were really pretty close to Gabby's.

Maybe they saw them? Or one of them??

Hate to ask the obvious but, why the hell are these young people fascinated by hiding out in the woods in the first place? I get the desire for a van trip/ camping / hiking experience (unless it involved other motives.)

Then BL just decides to go back into the woods / swamp to “take a hike”??

Spread Creek doesn't require a backcountry permit - but there are certainly both kinds of bears there. I've only seen grizzles a handful of times in my life, and one of those was near Colter Bay. That same grizzly attacked and killed a man while we were there. We saw two more not far from Colter Bay (mom and cub, we were in our car, thankfully).

The van would be perfect for a stay at Spread Creek (we slept in the back of our 4Runner, with two dogs - very crowded, but preferable to sleeping outside in grizzly country). When I was a kid, a grizzly ripped open a tent at the Yellowstone Canyon campground and dragged a woman out (didn't hurt her too badly, there was a lot of screaming and many people came, bear left the scene). The woman was not obeying park rules about food in the tent, though.

The area has two kinds of bears (both larger than California bears, but one is the same species as the California bears - who are very unlikely to attack anyone, I think we have 4 deaths over 100 years here).

I'm guessing if you stay in van in a dispersed camping area... no permits
are permits needed for when BL said he spent 3 days camping upwards of Colter Bay area?
If its is....do the park ranger keep track or stay locations of permit holders?

The difficult thing about small vehicle camping is that one space has to constantly be converted for different uses (sleeping, traveling, lounging, cooking, eating, etc.) So supplies and personal items laundry, bedding, etc. are constantly being moved around… with really no significant permanent storage areas. Tracking in a mess of dirt is constant.

It is easier with one person, or if staying at paved “resort” campsites ($$$) with shower / restroom facilities and restaurants nearby... but it is really hard on a couple, especially camping in the rough with little money.

It would be easier if the van was basically just used as storage and they always slept in a tent… but that doesn’t work while moving between campsites, or sleeping at Walmarts and rest stations etc.
It really helps to have a nice big "roof" cover for the picnic table, I've found. Then, you can just leave bins on top of the table or on the benches.

GP's parents attempted to file a missing persons report and were told it hadn't been long enough ( 2 or 3 days?). I would assume the same rules would apply to the L family, too.

Who told them that and where did that information come from? There is no waiting period in Utah, Florida or New York.

Gabby parent’s reported her missing around 11 days after she was last heard from from what I read. But they were still probably trying to figure out what was going on.

At this point, the Laundries would know there is a crisis and a crowd outside their door baying for blood. So if their son went missing one would think they would be quick to report.

The only reason I can see is that she doesn't believe one can drive that van 2300 miles in 72-84 hours
It's possible. This is at 50 miles ph. Plus you have a lot of adrenaline going on.
Time = distancespeed = 2300mi50mph
=2300/50 = 46 hours
= 46 hours
= 46:00:00 (hh:mm:ss)
Edit to add: plus adrenaline
By coolconversion.com

For some reason they really want to impress that the mustang was at the reserve. (family does). If they drove it back on Tuesday, worried about his life, why wait until Friday to call the PD, and Saturday to mention the Mustang? Seems to me they are trying to drag it out as much as possible to keep the cops busy. Sure they could have left another car for him. Or at some other entrance to the reserve where he would know to go to get out, with a handy car waiting, or car/driver.

If I were a parent and my kid was going through this, there's no way I would let him go wander around a swamp, or alternatively, drive him to a swamp with a full back pack to wander around for the day. If they let him go, or if they drove him (my suspicion), it was to do something specific--meet up with someone, pick up another mode of transportation or something. He had a big backpack. He was going somewhere. They probably thought they would hear of confirmation of his arrival within some reasonable time frame. By Friday, they either hadnt heard from him or his liaison may have let them know he hadnt arrived. OR, alternatively, they took him someplace completely different and the swamp is to give the LE something to do while he gets away, although that seems to be a lot more planning intensive than the parents have shown themselves to be capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member