Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a silly question, but maybe you or someone familiar with the area might know. From where the van was spotted and Gabby’s body found, would Brian have been able to physically cross the Snake River at any point in order to get to where we was supposedly picked up by the TikToker?
I think someone else determined earlier that the only way to get to Colter Bay from there was by the road -- that there aren't really any trails that would lead in that direction. That definitely seems to be the case from what I can tell on Google Maps.

The body found in AL is not that of BL.

Body found near Tillman's Corner Walmart

Thank you for that info. I had been wondering. Do you know if the person that said police viewed their cameras footage from that area and said Brian was on the footage, has that been confirmed it was him? It just seems too strange if he was indeed there and now they have a dead person there as well. I really hope it doesn’t become a serial killer situation.

Destroying

Destroying the pins will not destroy the data, a standard drive format will not destroy the data, taking a magnet to the drive will not destroy the data. Your average computer user isn't going to know how to PERMANENTLY destroy a drive so that nothing can be recovered. Source: My career is in IT Security.

Will writing zero's completely erase it?
I'm a semi pro gamer and always write zero's to free up as much space on my raid 0 drives before a format.

it is possible LE did not want to disclose the real date or content of the last text, so they put out a red herring. For example, if Brian had ever been interviewed, he may have said something contrary like "yeah i know she texted her mom on the 30th..." when LE knows the phone was already dead by then.

This was not today's. Today's hasn't been released yet. This one was just released and "we" are waiting on today's.
Thank you, I was thinking the SW was for external hard drive and all electronics in the van. They had these in their possession but needed a warrant to search the files.

Could discovered information have lead to the SW today?

Moo...

You're right. Either there's a mistake in the search warrant or a mistake in what Gabby's family's attorney said.

""No service in Yosemite," read the last text from Petito's phone to her mom, Nichole Schmidt, on August 30, attorney Richard Stafford confirmed."
Gabby Petito's mother says her last text said there was 'no service in Yosemite' - but she doesn't believe it was from her daughter

I think I understand what happened. They're saying that the text on August 27 was "odd" and the first indication to Gabby's mom that something wasn't right - either it wasn't her, or she's having some type of mental episode. Keep in mind that they are requesting this search warrant under the law that pertains to missing people, not violent crime. So LE wants to show there's evidence that GP could be having some type of mental health crisis to get access to these electronic records. The text on the 30th may not have been her but her mom didn't object to the content of it. Know what I mean?

"Yosemite"? Why would they say that? They were going to Yellowstone.

Exactly!

"The text message sent from her daughter’s phone on 30 August said: “No service in Yosemite”. Yosemite, in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains, is 800 miles from her last known location in Wyoming. Ms Schmidt told the Daily Mail she was certain the text was faked and suspected her Mr Laundrie may have sent it to intentionally mislead the family."

Everything we know about the mysterious disappearance of Gabby Petito

I don't understand what would be meant by a "hard drive". A box thingy with data? A thingy without the box that you installed inside the computer? Wasn't that like, 30-40 years ago? I thought we were onto thumb drives or Cloud? Or are some folks using "hard drive" to refer to a Windows PC?

As others have already stated it could mean external hard drive. But, I wanted to mention that it wouldn't be wise for people on the road to rely on cloud storage, it requires an internet connection that they will not often have available.

So the lawyer for the Brian Laundrie family will hold a presser from long island, ny tomorrow. I'm not sure why the lawyer picked that location since Brian's family lives in FL. And don't understand why the presser at this point since I'd guess most questions won't be answered.

Brian Laundrie's family will release statement on Tuesday

Let's see if there's a big banner advertising his law firm with a link to his website and phone number.

I am going to apologize ahead of time because they am going to use this post to reply to all the replies I've gotten, mist in the previous thread.

You are right there was wrong on both sides in the argument. She might have been provoked which is one of the reasons they didn't arrest her.

My post wasn't about whether or not I thought they had toxic relationship, it was about, with the facts known at the time and three different ENT people's statements, what should the cops had done differently? For example, arrest her, arrest him, arrest them both. Or like crimedawg said, follow her to her campsite to be sure of her safety.

Concerning how the cop talked to BL. That would look bad if it was friends hanging out on the corner, but as an interrogation method I thank he did a brilliant job. If he had come on strong or "in a professional manner" BL would have clammed up or taken a more defensive posture in his statements. The LE loosened him up and then kept popping up with non-sequenter qu still s to surprise him into honest answers. And the LE did ask him about the slapping the incident multiple times in that method and each time BL indicated (smoothly in that practiced of art manner) that he was just pushing her away when she was slapping at him. I actually thought he tried not to state that she was slapping at him to protect her from legal repercussions.

And about GP hitting BL. I sometimes wonder if we are all watching the same video. She clearly states she slapped him at the moonflower incident. He had marks all over his face (as she might have as well). She clearly said she hit his arm which made him swerve. And another time she said she was hitting him to tell him he was being pulled over. I didnt think there was any question about how much she was hitting him I thought the question was why and if she was doing it in self defense.

And yes I think he was emotionally abusing her. That's morally wrong, but not supporting her YouTube dream or telling her to calm down isn't illegal in the same way as threatening her life might be
I could say more but that would be pointless. Minds are made up here and the hey aren't changing. But I will reask the question. No matter how the investigation went how should the stop ended. Her arr ever, him arrested both arrested or just like it was

Many suggestions have now been made about what else could be done.

Why weren't the officers working to be relatable to Gabby as well?

They were trying to de-escalate only, having determined that this was just a volatile young couple including a dramatic, draining girl and her boyfriend who lost patience with her but was doing the best he could given "crazy chick"...that is the only explanation for ignoring the following in the context of a physical, violent interaction reported and witnessed by several people including LE:
  • Both of them have visible scratches and redness. red flag
  • Both admit to having put hands on the other. red flag
  • He downplays what he did even while admitting it red flag
  • She throws herself under the bus - not just for the physical violence, but also how it was her fault that he got mad at her. [clear sign of warped thinking, and not contradicted by him, confirming a strange dynamic] red flag
  • She was seen hanging out of the van window (or whatever - that he locked her out). (iirc) red flag
  • She stated she was scared he was going to drive off without her. red flag
  • Based on general knowledge about reasonable safety concerns for a young woman (a small one, too, clearly not from there), you know that it is reasonable to be afraid of being left alone in that position. And as above, he has already locked her out/threatened to leave her behind. So this is a guy who has deliberately behaved in a way to frighten his girlfriend, both emotionally and physically. From this, you are looking at a guy who would choose to make his girlfriend afraid for her safety. red flag
  • He drove very fast in a place he didn't know, while having a physical fight. (dangerous behavior) red flag

But LE decided to ignore all of those flags, as well as basic information about domestic violence, including common behaviors of abusers and victims.

LE approaches to DV can make a huge difference. If this were a couple residing in a town, historical police records that are accurate can support arrest/incarceration, ideally before a death. Better and more intense support and encouragement could be offered to victims, especially repeat victims. Sussing the real story and offering support to the real victim can be enough to prompt a victim to leave/seek help. Time in jail for an abuser can flip on a lightbulb about how far the relationship has fallen away from normal or healthy.

I don't want my LE to shrug their shoulders when it comes to violence, especially the kind of violence that, more than any other kind, thrives behind closed doors. It requires a harder look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jnmeep