Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s puzzling me this also, I don’t think the price of the storage unit would have exceeded the price of the airline ticket BL had to buy to go home and help his dad move their stuff out of, in the middle of their trip!

I also can’t imagine the dad would offer to let them move their stuff into his house to save them the money on a storage unit, but make him spend the money to fly home to help him move the stuff. BL and GP were living at BLs parents, even though they planned this few months road trip, it seems odd to pack up their stuff to lock it in a storage unit, rather than to just leave it in the bedroom. It merely doesn’t make no sense IMO.

Last edited:
Reading these reports bothered me a lot. The boyfriend is totally controlling the dialogue here and has painted Gabby as having a mental problem. LE just took him at his word and with the exception of making them stay in separate places, did nothing to find out just WHY were they fighting over the phone in the first place. Since she was so distraught LE decided to speak with the male and then just mark it up to exactly what he had to say. I've been in a situation like this and was treated the very same way and it resulted in my children being kidnapped by their father, because he could control the narrative. This really bothers me. JMO
So sorry that happened to you, @lonetraveler ! :(

ITA with the blame shifting.
It paints a troublesome picture of the bf.
MOO.

Why cant they arrest him for the van? How do they know it is not stolen or he had permission to drive it to FL? Can they arrest him put him in jail and run him through the ringer on it?

I guess it would be obvious that using the van was shared, but in a pinch would he have to prove that, in other words, here is our agreement on the van?

Just some thoughts, IMO.

If so, his attorney needs to state that. The more silence and stonewalling, the more BL looks as though he has a lot to hide.

There is nothing he can say that will assuage the suspicious. I would hope he is doing what he can to help find her, but none of us here will know. How he looks is the least of his concerns.

My point about Uber is that Uber requires a destination. Can’t go to BLM land with no address.

or to Salt Lake City. Uber does have some kind of RT service (starting from SLC and going where ever a person wants - it's very expensive.

But it's against Uber ToS for a driver to pick up someone without a verifiable destination - and BLM dispersed camping does not have addresses.

I know it is wrong to speculate about their mental health, both of them, because we don't know them and this is confidential information.

However, the police report is public info with some redactions, and apparently GP and BL both reported their self-diagnoses to the police. We don't know at this point if their diagnoses were medically valid, if they just conjured up these diagnoses so the police would not arrest them, or anything in-between.

What we DO know as a fact is that Gabby said she was afraid he’d drive away and was desperate enough to climb through the driver’s window and over BL to get back into the van.

So, avoiding any diagnosis that comes to mind (which are several), I’ll just say again that what appears to be a blissful love affair of two free-spirited people was anything but that. If their van life, yoga mindset and carefree existence was how they planned to make a living online, these personal problems certainly would put a halt to that.

Could the potential of not gaining followers and subscribers be a catalyst for disaster? Who knows? Brian does! Speak, Brian!!!

I believe @SuziQ mentioned that a lot of young people hitchhike in Moab, sometimes with strangers. It’s also possible that GP and BL separated and she went off to hitchhike and met a bad end that way. That happened to high school friends of mine (Mitch and Bonnie, still missing since 1973, there’s a WS forum about them). It’s possible but not what I believe happened. That’s because BRIAN needs to SAY SOMETHING! Even if she hitchhiked with someone evil, he can still tell her family where he was last with her, and he should be drowning in tears that she’s missing. JMO

So. you're saying she never made it to Salt Lake City, where Brian then flew to FL and she had dinner sent to her hotel room by her dad (on the 21st, I believe).

So the dad was somehow made to think she was in a hotel room (and there was indeed a power outage in a sector of SLC on Aug 20-21) but she was without her van and hitchhiked there?

If so, she did not go missing after hitchhiking from Moab to SLC - as she arrives in SLC. And there's a picture of her in Ogden, posted on her Insta.

This, my friend. This. No shame at all. People I love deeply struggle with bipolar disorder. I give nothing but credit to anyone

One of my best friends committed suicide three years ago. She was joyful, talented, and one of the smartest women I've ever known. She also had Bipolar II Disorder.

I feel your entire post so deeply. Thank you. ♥️
I'm so sorry for your loss.

The stigma and misunderstanding surrounding mental health is so detrimental to those affected, some of which is evidenced on this thread. There shouldn't be shame surrounding someone talking about their mental health.

Reading these reports bothered me a lot. The boyfriend is totally controlling the dialogue here and has painted Gabby as having a mental problem. LE just took him at his word and with the exception of making them stay in separate places, did nothing to find out just WHY were they fighting over the phone in the first place. Since she was so distraught LE decided to speak with the male and then just mark it up to exactly what he had to say. I've been in a situation like this and was treated the very same way and it resulted in my children being kidnapped by their father, because he could control the narrative. This really bothers me. JMO
That's not true. She was crying uncontrollably but the officer did note down what she said and also noted that what they both said was consistent with each other (and the 3rd witness), aside from whether she actually hit him to get his attention and how/why the vehicle hit the curb and the officer was the one who mentioned her confused and emotional state. Gabby admitted that she thinks she suffers from certain mental health issues, that did not only come from Brian. He said hers is more "advanced" but that doesn't indicate that he's trying to control any kind of narrative.

It’s puzzling me this also, I don’t think the price of the storage unit would have exceeded the price of the airline ticket BL had to buy to go home and help his dad move their stuff out of, in the middle of their trip!

I also can’t imagine the dad would offer to let them move their stuff into his house to save them the money on a storage unit, but make him spend the money to fly home to help him move the stuff. It merely doesn’t make no sense IMO.

Could have been an excuse for some time away from each other, especially after the domestic dispute.

Thanks for your replies folks. I wasn't;t sure if you could sequester phone records without probable cause under US privacy laws. Seems vital at this stage with his lips firmly closed by a dodgy lawyer (sorry I went a bit Brit there).

Why cant they arrest him for the van? How do they know it is not stolen or he had permission to drive it to FL? Can they arrest him put him in jail and run him through the ringer on it?

I guess it would be obvious that using the van was shared, but in a pinch would he have to prove that, in other words, here is our agreement on the van?

Just some thoughts, IMO.

They are waiting. Don't worry. IMO

Just thinking here but maybe he called mom crying that she had broken up with him and they decided to remove her things. However, I'm thinking it was more than that. I think his parents know exactly what has occurred and they are circling the wagons around their son. JMO

JMO I get the feeling this isn't the first time. OK BL calls parents about a fight and then there is a haste to move her stuff out.

If the state has enough evidence that he has harmed or killed Gabby, they can arrest him. He may never talk. He doesn't have to. There was only circumstantial evidence in many murder cases. Scott Peterson is one example.

Does anyone think it's possible that she could literally be ANYWHERE in the US? Could they have headed back to Florida together upon leaving the hotel on the 24th? Could a fight have happened somewhere along the way? What a nightmare this must be for her parents.

Another good example of young men never talking to authorities is the Lauren Spierer case. She has never been found. Lauren Spierer went missing 10 years ago today | WBIW

As someone noted upthread, around August 26, BL's insta is very different - shows him wandering around, eating melons, with the camera apparently propped somewhere or on a very short tripod. Or at least, it did have that (can't find it now). It definitely looked like it could be Wyoming in the background.

I am not ready to ponder whether anyone moved her body - I am trying to hope that someone saw her somewhere between Grand Teton and where ever the van is on the days that BL was a solo actor in the videos.

It would also seem to me that if BL was in fact driving around with a body in the van, there will be some evidence.

Looks like his Insta is now private. I bet someone here took a screenshot, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper