Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those officers made a determination of the primary aggressor in a potential DV situation based upon reasonable observation. BL had injuries to his face and arm consistent with the story *both* parties told wherein GP also admitted to striking BL. They did this after initially separating GP from BL and placing her in an air-conditioned, shaded vehicle while they told BL to sit on the curb in the sun, so clearly they initially assumed that the male was the primary aggressor prior to either party making a statement. What else would you have had them do, exactly? Arrest the man by default in every potential male-female DV situation, regardless of evidence? The bias, projection and wild speculation in these threads is beyond the pale at this point. Obligatory MOO.
No, I would have expected them to listen to the 911 call when the first caller said that he was slapping and chasing her or even the second caller who said he took her phone from her and locked her out of HER van.
I would also have not had that male officer be so pally with him and talk about his experience with a toxic woman and laugh when BL called GP crazy. Disgraceful. And all his cases of DV investigation should be looked at, light of this. MOO.

I thought the attorney was a family friend?

That's my understanding too but you will still want to establish an attorney-client relationship even if the payment requested is zero. An engagement letter establishes an attorney-client relationship (where communications will be covered by privilege) and outlines the other terms and conditions of representation.

When I do pro bono work I still send all of those clients my standard engagement letter but state the fee is waived.

It's totally possible he did not do any of this but I think any lawyer would do it to protect themselves and make sure the matter would be covered by their malpractice insurance.

I can go along with most of that, but I can't imagine anyone, not even the most protective helicopter parent, could stay silent if they thought she might be missing and he could help locate her. The only sympathy I can dredge up for the Laundries, and it ain't much, is if after they got the text from GP's mom BL told his parents that he killed her, and knowing nothing they could do now could prevent that, they went into protective mode for their son. Still reprehensible, but not as bad if they thought she might be lost and in danger but did nothing.

I am a mom to two young men, and every time I tried put myself in BL’s parents’ shoes and try to understand their actions, my brain would break. One neuron short of a synapse break. But this scenario does have some explanatory value for me. Moo.

The land is 10000 SF, which is actually quite small. The house is very modest.
It's a nice house, very typical 3bed/2bath single story SWFL home. You can look it up on Zillow for more info. The street and house number are in many MSM photos. I haven't looked at their floor plan, but the value is around 300k now that real estate prices have picked up. I lived in the county south (Lee) for 15 years so I'm familiar with the area. That neighbor lady across the street outside under that canopy cracks me up, everyone else shouting, bullhorns, taking videos, and she just watches the show from her yard.
If you have stayed in that part of the country longer than a vacation, you know that no one in their right mind would hide in that park/preserve, I get physically uncomfortable thinking about it. I feel bad for every single person doing that search on the ground. It's miserable this time of year. And the searchers with all that heavy gear, really hard job - I have so much respect.

I don't believe that park ranger said anything like that to her. They were still believing or wanting to believe that she was the aggressor. I think that she is doing some cya. MOO.
The female park ranger actually said in an interview that she said that to Gabby. I don't see any reason to disbelieve her. Article is linked earlier in the thread.

Something I have been wondering that you might be able to help me with? I'm not sure if we know who the attorney was retained for? Like is it Brian specifically?
With the canceled presser after FBI contact, I was wondering if somehow it might indicate that the parents retained the lawyer and now there's potentially a conflict because they realize they might need their own lawyer, separate from his, if they're afraid of potential charges of their own (obstruction, aiding/abetting/what have you)? Is this a ridiculous reach of speculation?

I think it's a good question because it does feel intuitively wrong but we have no idea. It sounded like he represented all three in his earlier statements. I think there's a strong argument that representing both Brian and his parents would be a conflict of interest because their legal interests may cross at some point in the case. That's generally the standard for conflicts of interest. What you would tell the parents as solely their attorney would be different if you had to consider your other client, Brian's, interest as well. So I do think they should have separate representation.

That's my understanding too but you will still want to establish an attorney-client relationship even if the payment requested is zero. An engagement letter establishes an attorney-client relationship (where communications will be covered by privilege) and outlines the other terms and conditions of representation.

When I do pro bono work I still send all of those clients my standard engagement letter but state the fee is waived.

It's totally possible he did not do any of this but I think any lawyer would do it to protect themselves and make sure the matter would be covered by their malpractice insurance.
Makes sense, thanks for the info. IANAL after all.

Thanks, kitty. So, IMO if she never referred to him as Stan, then that’s probably not how he is listed in her phone either. JMO.
I think he could well have been listed as Stan, he'd been calling Gabby's number, apparently and Gabby or somebody using her phone texted her mother about his calls. So whoever it was that sent that text knew the relationship between Gabby's mother and Stan.
It wouldn't be likely that a stranger would know where to refer those calls.

Very good question! Ok the Laundries hired this guy, how far does this go?, does it cover their son? Ongoing contractual changes or what? I saw that Oviedo posted possible fees.

We are not likely to see it, but it would be interesting to know what the Lauandries have hired the lawyer for.

LE actually preferred to give the hotel room to Gabby, & one of the officers called a supervisor to get permission to do so. His request to his supervisor to give her the room, not B, was turned down because G was the "suspect," or primary aggressor. This is said outright in the bodycam footage. There was no agenda to give her the van to escape; the agenda was to separate the two for one night.

Just my 2 cents…

FACTS
- Gabby was given the van at that time of the DV stop, minus BL… she could have left him at that time. LE did it that way to give her an out of the relationship with her van.
- LE handled BL the way they did because it was an interview tactic, nothing more.. no bromance..etc. Experience talking here.
- LE cannot force anyone to leave their partner, they can only make suggestions to help, which they did. It’s up to the 2 parties what they do after the police leave a scene. LE have zero control over that. Even if one or more is arrested in the incident.
- There is no factual, court based, jail records of BL being a woman abuser, only personal opinions of this. Nor is there of GP. We really don’t know who provoked who or what the interior dynamics of their relationship were. Projecting only promotes rumors.

In order to draw BL out, the public is going to have to lessen the “hate speech” so he has a reason to come out of hiding….

If the whole world said you were a woman beater that is a *** coward that murdered your girlfriend would you come out of hiding? Probably not… the FBI needs to find this guy alive to bring Gabby justice… if that means bringing the rumor mill down for her parents to get peace, then let’s do it! Let’s focus on the facts that can help FIND BL!

We are here to try to help, not gossip IMO.

Bringing over from the media thread:

SEP 20, 2021
Brian Laundrie search shifts, warrant served on parents’ home day after Gabby Petito’s body likely found
"We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.”

"Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in Gabby’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him."
bbm
Good for him !
Gabby's family loved her and are fighting so hard for justice.

The cruelty with which they've been treated is unfathomable.
Gabby (and by extension, the Petito's and Schmidt's) is the only victim.

The lawyers saying "May Gabby rest in peace" is not enough.
Not nearly.
Gabby Petito's death is homicide and her cause of death is pending, autopsy confirms | Daily Mail Online

• Steven Bertoloni, lawyer for the Laundrie family, said on Tuesday: 'May she rest in peace'
Gabby's family needs to hear : "We (Brian's parents and grandparents if they're involved in concealing him) are looking for Brian and understand that he is a person of interest; and when we find him we will be happy to bring him in to the police station for questioning. That's the least we can do for the lovely young lady who was engaged to Brian and lived with us for two years !"

To the Laundrie family : It's long past time to make an honorable choice, that should have happened when Brian returned home on 9/1 (as you said he did) without his fiance'. However, today you can change that and show compassion to Gabby's family by bringing Brian in -- if you know where he is ! He is still officially a poi so all LE want to do is talk to him and nothing else.

Imo.

I wonder if the argument over the phone had to do with her working all day on her YouTube channel. Apparently BL wanted to go hiking that day. Gabby indicated to the officers that he thought she "couldn't do it," and they had been arguing for the last two days.

Whatever the case, it seems obvious that he was trying to control her. He kept telling officers that he tried to get Gabby to take a walk to cool off, but we don't know if that's true since nobody heard him say that. Imo
Gabby told the officers that too.

I'd argue that a lot of these theories about him not being involved, aren't rooted in reality. That's just not how people behave.

They don't run across the country in their loved one's vehicle, not contact law enforcement if something innocent happened, not report them missing, not respond to the family, not tell law enforcement when and where they last saw them, and run off and hide.

Innocent people might do that in bad movies, but it's unprecedented in real life.

This is all consciousness of guilt.
I have noticed that most of these post stills trying to not blame him, are scenarios where GP has brought something on herself. Like met someone and decided to run off with them and leave all her possessions or she may have started a fight and he went too far. Or someone else killed her and he was scared that he would be blamed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HubCitySleuth