Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I follow this case, the more I'm starting to think that the reason the Law Enforcement hasn't issued a warning to the public about a potential danger, the reason the parents aren't on the news pleading for his return, and the reason they keep scouring the same area is that a suicide note was left, the parents are actually cooperating, and the suspect is deceased.

*edited for clarification*

The above is just pure speculation on my part. Apologies for any confusion for facts.

Last edited:
I think most logical people on a jury would see right through most of these potential "defenses".

'I blacked out when I was murdering her' does not seem like an actual defense. It would still be murder. I don't care if he blacked out during or after. I just do not care what his state of mind was when he murdered her, if he did, because unless he is deemed legally "insane" he's still 100% at fault for her death.

I'm not a lawyer so IMO.
A post upthread states our Victim GP would stay at her friend Rose's home when BL was "hearing voices" and having an "episode". So, he may very well have some legit mental illness. However, *if* he does, and chose to stop taking his meds, that will not bode well. He may end up in some county facility for the criminally insane. Either way, *if* he is guilty and convicted, he will likely spend at least 10 or more years incarcerated in one form or another. Given what we know about his volatility and that we have a dead young woman, I'd say the sooner he is apprehended, the better.

In addition, I will reiterate what I posted a few threads back. *If* his parents know where he is, they better darn well bring him in immediately. Otherwise, they might have to live with what happens if he resists arrest when captured. LE will not pussyfoot around when they find this guy, knowing that he is seemingly unstable.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I’m not saying that isn’t suspicious! But from their point of view that van was theirs (gabby and Brian’s) they both worked on it, put time into it, drove it and lived in it. It was also registered to the Laundrie’s home, no? Yes the title was in her name technically but I’m sure people who knew them saw it as theirs. And who knows what crazy story he told his parents! “She broke up with me again and ran off with a guy! She’s awful! She hurt me so badly! Now i have this stupid van and i don’t know what to do!” I’m not saying it’s believable, the truth, makes sense, none of that. But it could have happened. We DONT KNOW.

Why is this so difficult? The van was legally in her name. Doesn't matter what address it was registered to, doesn't matter what BL considered it. If the title was in her name it was her property, and him taking it without her permission would have been auto theft. Plain and simple. No debate there at all. That's what having a vehicle title means. They were not married. He had no legal right to any of her property. Engagement is not a legal status.

(Gabby's mother told the DailyMail long ago and much cited in previous threads that they were not engaged. They seemed to go from being engaged to not being engaged on any given day, but it's not a legal status. I can say I'm engaged to anyone but it gives me no legal rights to their stuff whatsoever.)

Fake texts are an attempt by a killer to buy time- to throw off LE/family into thinking that the victim willingly went somewhere to be off by themselves alone. In his case, it did seem to work for a few days/weeks. There was a young businessman in Southern California by the name of Chris Smith. He was murdered by his business partner Ed Shin. Shin texted Smith's family for months/years leading them to believe that the victim was off sailing around the world.

THIS is why I am not convinced he is in the Wilderness. He had already had ideas of how to "buy time". He could have told his parents from a phone call, they said "come home and we will work it out".

And then they worked out an escape plan with a "Goose chase scheme" for the Reserve. A third party could have rented a car for him to escape, and the camping trip was a way to get him to that car.

I know everyone is convinced LE is there with a purpose, and maybe they do have some real leads............

but I am not convinced.

I was just thinking.. that a potentially smart move (moreso than helping him try to hide IMO) if the parents knew anything at all during the alleged camping trip, would be to stash him away in a mental health facility or something for "treatment". So when/if he becomes a suspect, he is already being treated for "insanity" and they can blame everything on that. Thoughts? Am I just totally ignorant about how an insanity plea might work? And would a facility have to disclose that he is there? Sorry if this has been brought up before! I know the potential of Gabby secretly going to one was floated in the earliest threads but if it were my kid and I was callous enough to act how they have been, that's what I'd think of doing.
No, it doesn’t work like that. Psychiatric hospitals aren’t like hotels—you can’t easily just “check in”. You’d need to be evaluated by mental health professionals to be admitted, not to mention the complicated issue of health insurance. Many such places are really overbooked now anyway. Throughout the pandemic there has been a shortage of beds and waiting list for people in crisis.

I tend to take a wait and see approach to all the sightings that get reported in the media during missing persons cases, and this is why:

I followed the Mollie Tibbetts case from the beginning. During the search, all sort of people appeared in the media with reports that they had seen Mollie jogging the night she disappeared. People in online forums were coming up with all kinds of improbable jogging paths to account for all the sightings. Then, during the trial, the one and only eyewitness called to testify that they had seen Mollie jogging that night was someone I had not heard of before who, as far as I know, had never told her story in the media.

I am not saying all the other eyewitness reports were wrong, or that they were just trying to "get their 15 minutes." I am sure people genuinely think they see things, but they confuse the details. (Or, of course, some of the other reports could have been accurate but just not as important to the case as the witness who was called). It's just that the Tibbetts case illustrated to me very clearly that what we see in the media is not necessarily what the police see, and a lot of it is just noise.

I thought for sure they would release manner of death today,hopefully tomorrow they will!!

That offer of 200 bucks is very bizarre, driver declined but thought it was weird, too. I can't think of a reason he would offer that, unless she misunderstood the amount. jmo
It could be a thing that he believed he was much further away from Gabby's vehicle than he thought he was... I can't imagine how he thought he got there but it was reported he behaved largely normally as a passenger.

Agreed. It is very difficult to put these two things together. I was getting the impression that Gabby was murdered on 26th August. Especially after the sighting of BL driving alone, and acting confused and 'weirdly'.
Not to mention, that restaurant is over 30 minutes away and I think the girl on TikTok (or someone said) it didn't go anywhere the entire time.

It was Gabby's van, registered in her name. Her next of kin will claim it and do what they want with it when it becomes available. No idea what the discrepancy is about, BL isn't coming forward to start a civil claim for that van.

Is there a link for the restaurant employee(s) that claim there was an issue with BL?

From the images I saw, that van has a partition separating the front and back so I would say it would be unusual for someone to ride in the back with no windows.
If you look at
Date of death Sept. 19th??? Is this real???
Long story, but my brother's body was discovered and remained unidentified for 5 months. His official date of death was the date he was identified by my mom's DNA.

The Merry Piglets incident on 8/27 really did it for me. I believe he killed her later that day. Fits with the timeline of the witnesses who saw the van later that day, and the strange text re: Stan.

The timeline of her death is shrinking, getting smaller and smaller. She was still alive on the 27th of August around lunchtime. I imagine they had a whopper of a fight after the restaurant incident.

IMO that's when he put his hands on her for the final time. Driving the van to the location where witnesses saw it and web cam'ed it is probably where she died that day.

The more I follow this case, the more I'm starting to think that the reason the Law Enforcement hasn't issued a warning to the public about a potential danger, the reason the parents aren't on the news pleading for his return, and the reason they keep scouring the same area is that a suicide note was left, the parents are actually cooperating, and the suspect is deceased.
Suicide note? Did I miss something in the hour and a half that I’d been gone?

Sigh. Around here, you have to have hard evidence. Yes circumstantial evidence is included but if there is a plausible alternate scenario or explanation, case is thrown out. Doesn’t even go to court.
There is no string motive here. That they had an on again, off again relationship? Happens a lot. DV incident? It’s on tape and despite all the reviews, LE did not determine it serious enough to charge. Restaurant rage? Happens a lot. It’s difficult to get DV convictions without documented charges of a history.
If coroner could not place time of death, anyone could have killed her. She could have met someone and gone off. They could have broken up and she disappeared while he stalked off so he just took van. I can come up with too many scenarios where someone else did it.
Do I think he did it? Yes. But his silence and parents getting an attorney which are huge red flags are not permitted to be used against him. That’s a huge advantage his Defence team will have—that no one has said anything, him or his parents. Though now that this is a murder case, his parents may have to cough up so info that they did not have to when it was just a missing persons case. I’m not sure whether the 5th will cover their unwillingness to talk. I don’t think it will

It doesn't feel like we're reading about the same case. Domestic violence murders happen all the time. Again, two people with a history of domestic violence visit a sparse camping area. Their van is recorded on video. An eye witness sees Brian in the truck. One member of the couple is found murdered 200m from the van. Instead of getting help, calling police, or telling anyone, the other member of the couple flees to Florida and then into the wilderness. That is consciousness of guilt evidence.

LE will likely put their phones together, proving they were together during her last communications. Her last "proof of life" (via a Snapchat or perhaps a private text) will be when they are together during the time the van is at the campsite where she was found.

I don't see the plausible alternate theory. In any intruder situation you would think the man in the relationship would at the very least run to the nearest other camper and get help for his girlfriend. That's the reasonable response to someone harming your love.

I don't think one juror will listen to the prosecutor's evidence and say "Yes, I would have done exactly what BL did. Sounds reasonable to me."

Like Rio said, the prosecution does not have to eliminate every possible suggestion. Just every reasonable one.

That offer of 200 bucks is very bizarre, driver declined but thought it was weird, too. I can't think of a reason he would offer that, unless she misunderstood the amount. jmo

The only reason that I can think of is that he wanted to be remembered as being elsewhere (far away from Gabby's remains) at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968