Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Family is exempt from what? Can you please cite this statute? I mean, are you saying that in the state of Florida you can aid and abet felony murder and/or be an accessory to felony murder after the fact and it's legal if you're related to the person?

prosecution for accessory after the fact.

Sorry I was under the impression it was clser nearby from another forum. Im just saying if they cannot determine time of death, it may be an uphill battle to prove beyond reasonable doubt. Not to mention forums such as these and the insanity on twitter. There is a very good case of bias jury and mistrial. If I was his lawyer, I would be printing this exact forums answers and submitting as evidence bias

It's 485.6 miles away. And besides that, they stayed quite a long time in Salt Lake City (at least Gabby), in between those destinations.

Just my opinion, of course, but there doesn't seem to be any 'reasonable' alternatives being offered up, in terms of who else could have killed her. Brian and Gabby were practically joined at the hip. They were having major relationship troubles in public. Her body was found quite close to where her white van was parked at spread Creek.

He returned to Florida without her, while in possession of that same van, her personal effects, phone and apparently her debit cards which he used fraudulently on the way home.

Possibly...However, and this is strictly my opinion, I don't think he is in the Reserve. I think he is long gone. Smart tactic at this point (again, just my opinion) would be to find something to arrest one or both of his parents...get them into custody and interrogate/break them. They know a LOT more than they are saying at this point.

Agree 100%. It's hard to think that they didn't find anything they could use to put pressure on the parents after everything they took out of the home. I believe if the parents think they'll be prosecuted for aiding/abetting/covering up a federal crime or lying to agents about his whereabouts they will fold -- that is the best and maybe only chance of finding him. I suspect he is already in Mexico, the Caribbean or Cuba though.

True. But he could claim he took her cards and left her because they had a fight, and when he left her she was alive. That would be theft at the most, right? MOO
that would still be a felony
The funeral is set for this weekend though. I can’t imagine they’d have one without her being there in some capacity. /JMO
They changed that as of yesterday according to Brian Entin

It was pretty stupid for him to leave the body where he did, which to me makes me think it was not premeditated. He essentially has a car that could move a body anywhere in the country. The only sightings of him seem to be in Wyoming and him entering Florida. He could have been alot more careful and made it alot harder. He also could have gone straight to Mexico rather than return home. Which makes me think, he is not some mastermind escapee and probably just in the reserve like they think, and probably not found cause of pure luck, or an animal got him

Yeah, I agree, but depends on if he can prove if it was joint or majority was his money. I get it was in her name and so was the van, but if he can prove he was the only one who used the card, or he regularly did or that there were 2 cards and he possessed one, and he made deposits in it, he could beyond reasonable doubt show that its not a smoking gun that it seems. Yes, he would get done for fraud, no doubt about that. But murder? They need a lot more.

In my eyes, the card indicates guilt. But also, I travelled the middle east with my best friend. Her card we used day to day, and mine left in the hotel safe. I deposit cash into her card, and used it freely. Seems odd, but if she went missing and I showed how this is how we managed our money, they would need more to get me on murder

It doesn't matter if it was his money. His name was not on the account and he did not have a PIN. If he deposited money into her savings account, it's her money. These statutes are meant to protect banks from paying out money to unauthorized users and then having to also reimburse the owner-in-fact when they claim unauthorized access. So it's a crime to use someone else's bank card, account number, or PIN.

Ashley Banfield on her show last night talked to People magazine investigator..they had off and on relationship during high school. She was a sophomore and he was a junior. Lots of drama and off and on. Her family didn’t care for their relationship and was against the van life trip

What I don't understand is why people are only just coming forward NOW about it.

Does that not seem suspicious to you!? This case has been making the news worldwide for 2 weeks now.

It just seems slightly odd to me that someone would only just recall that they picked up BL at the time this all happened..

JMO

This is possible and I can assume this person has been traveling herself and not linking up with social media, msm, or reading newspapers.

While we've been following this story since the beginning, we can't imagine some people aren't or didn't even know this was happening. It seems now that this story is nearly impossible to avoid hearing about people are starting to realize they had this connection BL or BL and Gabby.

I hope BL is found alive to answer for all he has done.

I know, but in WY is a misdemeanor even if the initial crime is a felony and you are related. In FL, close family is exempt, and most of the time prosecutors only use it as a tool to get someone to testify. They wont waste the resources.

I'm certain that someone posted yesterday that the parent/child law in FL does not include murder. I know that is not the current charge, but I think we can expect that to be forthcoming.

Good Morning WS Buds!
My theory continues to evolve. He killed her and left her out in the open to be done away by animals. In order to distance himself from the crime scene, he straps on his backpack and concocts his "I've been hiking along the 'Snake River For Days' story. First happy campers he meets, he offers them $200 for a 10 mile ride to Jackson to establish an alibi. He thinks better of hitching back home, because he's scared her body and the van will be discovered by campers near Spread Creek, the cops will be notified and he'll be picked up on the road 400 miles away with his thumb sticking out.

He bolts from the campers' van at Jackson to clean up and find a ride back to the crime scene. He finds a ride, gets himself dropped of near where the van is located and walks back to the crime scene where he picks up Gabby's van and hauls *advertiser censored** back to Florida.

True. But he could claim he took her cards and left her because they had a fight, and when he left her she was alive. That would be theft at the most, right? MOO

Abandoning someone with their van, credit cards, and phone to call for help is a crime, if it's NOT it certainly should be! Because it looks like robbery to me. They get into a fight even possibly break up he abandons her in a State Park without means to drive/leave, money or a phone should be at least robbery/theft.

Not sure anyone would have underground places in Florida, where the water table is high.

I was surprised that they didn't bring in dogs trained to detect 'concealed persons', which seem to be common on the southern border.

Quick stop in this morning to say Happy Friday! And we keep debating how he could change his look and blend in right now. I just saw a guy walking on the side of a highway wearing a do-rag on his head and a face mask. On a bridge over a swamp and probably 400 cars have passed him without giving him a second look. And I couldn’t begin to describe him even with a second look. (But I could pull him off my dash cam but BL ain’t in my neck of the woods for sure.:p)
LE would be very busy here checking out BL look alikes.

It was pretty stupid for him to leave the body where he did, which to me makes me think it was not premeditated. He essentially has a car that could move a body anywhere in the country. The only sightings of him seem to be in Wyoming and him entering Florida. He could have been alot more careful and made it alot harder. He also could have gone straight to Mexico rather than return home. Which makes me think, he is not some mastermind escapee and probably just in the reserve like they think, and probably not found cause of pure luck, or an animal got him
Not really stupid, Gabby would never have been seen from the other side of the creek where they campers are

The funeral is set for this weekend though. I can’t imagine they’d have one without her being there in some capacity. /JMO
I'm pretty sure it was announced as a memorial service, wasn't it?
A funeral service occurs with the body present and has four main parts: the visitation, funeral, committal, and reception. In contrast, a memorial service contains much of the same structure although the deceased's body is not present at the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro