Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or am I missing the point of continuing to search this swamp? If it's 75% just watery swamp, it's not conducive to BL hiding out in this type of condition.

He would be on dry land (imo) he's not a fish or water animal. Unless they are looking for a body possibly?
Maybe searching the swamp is a public distraction from places being searched simultaneously? /JMO

I didn't say that personally, and no, it's not blaming for her death. It's stating a fact. And these types of things are stated in many cases. If this hadn't happened, or if so and so did or did not do this...that thing wouldn't have happened. You've been around here long enough to know that pointing these things out is what goes on in most cases. Hindsight always happens. It will never not. The truth is, if they had done more, she probably would be alive. It's not blaming to point it out.
I agree with what you're saying about the 'if this... then that' stuff. But where does it end. Why not say if she didn't ask him to join her in her dream, such and such wouldn't have happened. It has virtually no end.

If it was an accident, can you explain how it happened 600 feet from their van and someone buried her? If it was an accident, would any normal person in the US simply bury their fiancée near a creek in the Bridger-Teton NF and then drive that person's van back home?

I think we'll find that there are no explanations for her cause of death other than homicide - which the coroner has already said. I understand that you're disagreeing with the coroner, just trying to understand why.

When we know cause of death, we'll know more - and I do believe they have ample forensic evidence, but are waiting for all pathology and toxicology reports to come back, as is SOP.

Was she buried? I don't think that has been released.

That's using the phone's GPS to report its position.

You can triangulate a cellphone position from relative cellphone tower signal strength but it's not as accurate as that.
I wish I understood this technology better. If a phone has their location off, does that prevent GPS tracking? Do they then need to rely on (less accurate) towers?

You've got to understand, training is one thing, but acting within the bounds of the law is sometimes something else altogether. Police could know in their gut, 100% without question that a party is in a dangerous situation, but if the laws of the state do not permit them to do anything meaningful, then the training then becomes unimpactful. Keep in mind, they're job is to enforce the laws, not serve as marital counselors.

The training for police should make them aware of the dangers of DV situations, the threats either party is facing, and doing what they can to separate and/or diffuse the conflict.

Real meaningful change is going to come through the laws. I'm not a big fan of just trying to separate them for the night. Personally, I think it should be legislated, that if police are called for a DV situation, there should be a mandatory, 72 hour temporary restraining order on both parties. Keeping them separate and giving parties time to settle and think logically about the situation might lead to fewer people going right back into toxic situations.
Interesting. So a 72 hour separation would work where a 8-12 hour separation would not.

I'm not so sure about that. JMO.

I read a few articles that Gabby's parent didn't contact BL parents until the 10th. Its been made out that BL's parents ignored her parents for at least a week or more before her being reported missing. Does anyone have any confirmation of when her parents started asking questions of BL's parents and sister?

I could be wrong, but I thought the interaction on the 10th was in person in Florida so they could have been reaching out via phone for the week prior

This might be dumb but if he was in there with a phone would he be really easy to find? Or would the 'ping' encompass a huge area, & be hard to localize?
It's probably hard to pinpoint the "ping" because everything north of there is wilderness for miles, so no towers there for a good triangulation. Even the reporters are having trouble with their own devices, signal very sparse.

As a fortunate PTSD survivor from long-term severe and threatening domestic abuse, in forms of the psychological classic double bind of abuse-apologize used by psychopaths and sociopaths, I can only pray that Gabby didn't suffer terribly during her dying hours.

Praying any pain was swiftly extinguished as she clearly alreasy suffered mental anguish w PTSD due to the constant negativity from Bs frequent outbursts.

Gabby told officers he stressed her out. I believe her.

#LiveAndLetLive

I believe it just gives a general area. I'm sure that there are various towers in the area that the phone would be pinging off. Maybe why they are now moving to the East side of the Reserve. JMO

With my work, we often work with vendors' that use location services to track shipments. IF location services are allowed for the application, we can often track them to within 3 feet or so. Without specific location services on, they'd fall back to the typical "triangulation" pings. with these, depending on where towers are located, we'd get accuracy within 25-30 feet in most city locations. I'd guess being out in the middle of nowhere, that accuracy would deteriorate a little further.

Great defense for BL if it ever comes to that.
The Moab police should have known! If only they had done their job and read my mind!!
I don’t believe all of this blame Moab really has anything to do with this case.

Pointing out potential deficiencies in LE's handling of a situation does not equate to a total shift of blame for the death of someone whose DV situation ended - rather soon after their interaction - poorly.

It's speculation whether assessing the situation differently and not treating an abuser like a victim, and the reverse, would absolutely have prevented her death. Of course.

But that is not the same as saying that perhaps different actions by LE could have. Or that this situation perhaps suggests that there are some systemic issues with how LE handles and treats DV.

And it is not the same as saying that perhaps different actions by LE might not have potentially emboldened a gaslighting abuser and further diminished a codependent, gaslit victim.

And it is not the same as saying that perhaps different actions by LE might have provided more time with a shaky victim and thus support to educate her on DV* and potentially get her real help, to call her parents, or otherwise to leave him.

No, all of that possible outcome is not LEO's responsibility to ensure, but that doesn't mean it is impossible for them to be more effective.

*do you know how many victims of DV are ignorant of what is abuse, or in denial? Nevermind her age, hopes & dreams about this trip/their life together, and the impact of a separation on her mentally.

I do realize this is slightly off topic re: Gabby, but I saw this article today and it's heartbreaking how many missing person cases (1) don't get the level of attention they ALL deserve, and (2) go unsolved into perpetuity. Sad. We need to do better for all.

Nearly 700 Indigenous women have gone missing where Gabby Petito was found | cbs8.com

I agree but I truly don’t think it’s a race thing in this situation like some people are making it out to be. I think it’s because there is such a trail on social media from these two that lead up to her death. Had any BIPOC person gone missing and had the extensive social media trail and van life chronology everyone would be trying to figure it out too. I think that’s what is so unbelievable about this case. The public and the authorities have all this information and insight into the couples whereabouts and interests and lives in general most would assume it would be easier to piece together. Just goes to show social media is an illusion.

Some people blush on their arms when they're upset, someone with an anxiety issue would be prone to crying, sometimes females cry as a manipulative action when cornered, etc. I think they're trained as well as they can be, but had they known the details about the 911 call, they would have proceeded differently. I do think a few questions should have been asked, but with so many departments operating at low capacity, and calls coming in and trying to make split second decisions, it's a hard situation. Maybe the officers do need more training. Maybe there is a need for more officers. Maybe they need to change how they deal with cases of DV. All these maybe's are why they're investigating.

The officers knew the reason for the call. The male was the aggressor. Gabby literally showed LE how he grabbed her and left marks. She also had a scratch on her face. And yet LE only took pictures of the aggressors injuries. Do you realize that you are allowed to fight back when an aggressor physically harms you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans