Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This varies state to state, & this is just for informational purposes with how it is where I live for comparison. I know in Alabama, where I live, if there’s a DV situation, & the cops get called…if one person has physical injuries & the other doesn’t - the person without the injuries gets arrested. This happened to my friend. Her boyfriend had hit her thru a jacket, pulled her hair, yanked on the steering wheel while driving, etc. She is the one that called the cops. She left the house in handcuffs bc he had one scratch above his eyebrow where she had to get him away from the steering wheel. She had no visible marks on her. & that is what the cops told us. It made me so mad. The “visible mark” rule might not be the same everywhere…but that is how it is here.
Sure, but they both had visible marks here. Even if they took them both to jail I think they would have linked up later. I guess my point is this traffic stop was not a catalyst in any way. Yes the police handled it poorly in retrospect but I don't see any way that different outcomes from it save her life.

This varies state to state, & this is just for informational purposes with how it is where I live for comparison. I know in Alabama, where I live, if there’s a DV situation, & the cops get called…if one person has physical injuries & the other doesn’t - the person without the injuries gets arrested. This happened to my friend. Her boyfriend had hit her thru a jacket, pulled her hair, yanked on the steering wheel while driving, etc. She is the one that called the cops. She left the house in handcuffs bc he had one scratch above his eyebrow where she had to get him away from the steering wheel. She had no visible marks on her. It made me so mad. The “visible mark” rule might not be the same everywhere…but that is how it is here.

Same here in CA. And if both have marks that look recent and each accuses the other, they both go to jail.

I'm not surprised she was crying. It's mentally and emotionally exhausting walking on eggshells all the time.

We can see BL had a pattern of taking GP's things from her. He took her driver's license from her. He took her car keys from her. He took her phone from her. He took her car from her (and ultimately her life IMO). That's abuse. I'd cry too.

BL disparaged GP's abilities and her dreams. I'd cry too.

According to the friend, BL prevented GP from going out with friends and restricted her time out of the house because he was jealous. That's isolation and abuse.

I believe perhaps a social worker should accompany the LE in these situations. They could discuss the "Power and Control Wheel" and go from there.

This homicide was not intended. If he wanted to be rid of her, he could have just broken up with her and moved on -- they hadn't even gotten married yet. Her mother said they had already suspended their engagement (per Daily Mail). He is not a mastermind, or an expert at living in the wilderness; but, he is a young man in good shape. I'm older, and in much worse shape, but the little backpacking experience I've had would buy me a month at least to live in the wilderness. Those who say he will come out eventually are right -- if he's alive -- but it will be weeks, not days.
I agree it likely wasn't preplanned. But I don't think it was an accident.

I didn't state any of the things you seem to be assuming/responding to. Specifically, the bolded (my bolding) above.
Police need evidence to make arrests. That aside, the totality of the situation could well have been:

1. Are you willing to testify against "L"?

2. Do you want to leave with "L"?

If the victim's answers to number one was "no", and the anwers to question two was "yes", then there is nothing the police can do.

If the answer to question one was "no" and the answer to question two was "no", the police could offer a variety of assistance:

- Maybe arrest "L" for further questioning. "G" gets her stuff when he is gone. If the car is L's- tow it. Getting cars out of tow lots is often "complex" (personal experience, operators love racking up fees). "L" might not be going anywhere for two days.

- Refer "G" to a shelter.

- Or, give her a bus pass and a ride to the station.

- If the bus has come and gone and she has no money, give her a room (I am working on setting up a church funded program that would give vulnerable women two nights in a hotel upon police referral). "G" is then taken to the bus station in the morning.

All the above is possible, but..... "G" needs to answer "no" to question two.

Last edited:
They can't really do or say much if he isn't. He isn't a child. For all we know they could have been imploring him to talk and thats why he fled on the 14th. Not defending them. Just reserving judgement till we know the full story and the actual timeline
You could be right, I was wrong when I though it was days that Gabby’s parents were trying to contact them. From the 11th on, this case exploded in a way that could not be anticipated.

A rage incident? Not intended, but completely one person's fault?
I think it's too simple to say "he would have just broken up with her" clearly they were under the impression that fighting for one another was showing their love for one another. "Love is hard" and all that BS we believe as young people. I imagine they fought and he snapped. He was already furious after the restaurant incident, she may have embarrassed him by not backing him up, maybe she decided to call it quits and he snapped. Crime of passion and all that. I don't think he intended to do it, but that doesn't mean he didn't, and he's going to be hard-pressed to argue that after a federal manhunt. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grandma great