Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
my opinion is he is a virtue signalling fraud and poser and wanted to appear to be the hero, the martyr...oh take me, arrest me...fist bump...I'm parched and dehydrated but no thank you, I don't drink from plastic bottles
Yeah. I've generally tried to stay away from this topic, but I must admit that his insistence to no bottled water because of the plastic really stood out to me. Firstly, how is he getting enough water living the vanlife without drinking from plastic bottles? Is he purifying? Is he refilling his stainless steel water bottle or camelback at every stop? What about for cooking, washing, or personal hygiene?

His insistence seemed more like him projecting a specific persona, like someone trying too hard. But sorry, Earthers can be mean, too.

I don't know...regarding Moab, it has never crossed my mind that he should have went to jail in Moab, but I perceived his behavior to be skittish. But, there was nothing that they could conclude to him needing to be thrown in jail that i could see. It was a tough call, that's really all i'm saying. A lot of self reflection is probably going on in their minds. If he went to jail do I think it would have changed things? No I do not, unless she decided to go home to her folks.
Because if she passed away a few weeks later, there were probably a lot of tenuous moments in that period.
So, I think (IMO) she could have had some more support in that 97 minutes or so, and if it was my daughter, I'd hope LE would make sure she was safe too. I didn't feel that. But we are not privy to what the female ranger said, but a lot of care was getting him to a safe place.
Where I live, if LE respond to a DV call, someone is getting arrested; most especially if they detect any marks on either party.

Is this case, I think LE separated them for a cooling off period. GP went back to him. Not much they could do about that. This is vey often how DV cases end up. Sadly.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree, but it's important to keep in mind that the emotional and psychological effects of DV are damaging in and of themselves, irrespective of the presence or severity of physical injury.

Agree. The emotional and psychological effects usually go a long with or prior to physical abuse. Can't tell you how many books I have read on the subject. The Battered Women's Syndrome by Lenore Walker was revolutionary when written. But, now we acknowledge it can go both ways.

LE are stuck in the middle trying to navigate how to keep us from killing each other....not an easy job.

And a 100 lb girl slaps a guy doesn't usually get a 911.'
But guy doing that to a girl does.... My clue #1.
This must have caught a lot of attention and severe in nature.
GP couldn't articulate in detail what happened ...was the one almost arrested .. seems like both would be based on eyewitnesses. Both had minor marks.

Even if GP had expressed what had just happened in great detail.....I doubt LE would have change their decision. No Arrests . Separation. Didn't rise to be considered Criminal. I get it. Sadly.:(
Not sure I agree.. The police should not have acted how they did. But initially, the officer secured the situation so he couldn't flee (keys outside on the hood). Had Gabby said he slapped her (she didn't) I have no doubt they would have booked him. A review of the situation is warranted because this is sadly typical of DV interactions. How do you know he was the aggressor if everyone is telling you he wasn't? It's a slippery slope to just treat them all like it's male beating female even if that's true the majority of the time. In this case I think the behavior of LE was bad, but ultimately didn't factor into the decision to not hold him. Had she accused him of anything I bet they would have.

Yeah. I've generally tried to stay away from this topic, but I must admit that his insistence to no bottled water because of the plastic really stood out to me. Firstly, how is he getting enough water living the vanlife without drinking from plastic bottles? Is he purifying? Is he refilling his stainless steel water bottle or camelback at every stop? What about for cooking, washing, or personal hygiene?

His insistence seemed more like him projecting a specific persona, like someone trying too hard. But sorry, Earthers can be mean, too.
As a whole, we need more mindfulness like this, but I too found it obsessive given the circumstances.

A guy currently on the run and suspected of murder will never get bond. He'll be in jail until trial, IMO. I don't see any way he gets bail, and a judge would likely deny it entirely.

This is what I think too. I don't think that bail would even be touted as a serious option for him!

If they find him then I imagine there will be other charges added. At the moment the credit card fraud was likely just the quickest way to secure an arrest warrant.

Like, "We can't QUITE get him on that yet, but we know it's just a matter of time and us waiting on X, Y and Z results, so what CAN we get him on quickly whilst the other more serious charges are in progress!?"

Kind of an "Al Capone tax evasion" moment kinda thing...

MOO

I’m wondering if anyone asked her about how safe she felt. I know every time I go to the doctors office I get asked, “do you feel safe at home?”

That's awesome of your doctor's office. In Georgia a lot of public restrooms, like in a park, will have posters inside the doors of the bathroom stalls, that have numbers on them for women to call police if they are victims of sex trafficking or sexual abuse. Knowing these things can occur on the road, and women are often allowed to stop and use public bathrooms even if they are being controlled by a man. I wish Gabby had seen a poster like that in a public bathroom. Restaurants often have them too.

Like many here, I keep going back to that bodycam footage. A number of things stand out to me:
BL:
- his demeanour at the start of the footage - tentative and apologetic, concerned at what GP has revealed about his conduct. He kind of mutters "sorry about that" - a very strange guy is my gut feeling.
- the way he stands when he gets out of the van - like a child caught with his hands in the cookie jar - <modsnip - speculating about a disorder without a dx> He is acting guilty IMO.
- his mirth and relief when being told he is the victim in the matter. He radiates and is as gobsmacked as the rest of us viewing the footage.
- kind of evasive about the scratches/gouges on his face - starts rambling about a phone and keys.
- his belittling of GP demonstrates his complete lack of empathy.
GP:
- this young lady is absolutely broken - inconsolable. Her dreams of the idyllic van life have been shattered. Duped by an illusion pushed by social media. She loves this guy, who is likely incapable of loving her back.
- Not cut out for what she is undertaking - she says "I'm the girl who never goes outside" straight off the bat in her YT video.

I'm not a police basher, but they really failed here - I noticed a female officer? Why wasn't she helping GP - the males were quick to build rapport with BL? That GP was a terrified victim of DV was staring them in the face - and they missed it? I'd wager those scratches on BL's face were from a previous strangling episode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where I live, if LE respond to a DV call, someone is getting arrested; most especially if they detect any marks on either party.

Is this case, I think LE separated them for a cooling off period. GP went back to him. Not much they could do about that. This is vey often how DV cases end up. Sadly.

That's actually supposed to be the case in Utah as well. I imagine that will be part of the feedback they get.

Does anyone have any opinions on why LE/FBI has not given any updates whatsoever as to why they are so confident BL is in Carlton Reserve?

For argument’s sake on this, let’s assume the worst and operate as if BL killed GP. Could that not be seen as him being a danger to the public? I can’t recall a case where absolutely no follow up came from LE asking for information on whereabouts of a wanted individual.

There has got to be some massively significant reason why they are acting so sure about BL’s whereabouts, no?

Just some things I noted from the police bodycam videos -no breathalyzer or field sobriety test for Brian the driver, no request to search the van. Officers note Brian seems excessively "hyper" and seem to ask Brian in a few different ways if he is on medication or substances. I didn't see any follow up on these issues. Doing 45 in a 15 zone and jumping a curb (intentionally trying to crash??) seem worthy of follow up and citation. Brian also seemed unduly concerned when officers wanted to go in the van to get Gabby's cell phone.

Just my opinion and conjecture.

IMO, physical analysis of Brian was constant on the part of the officers; and there are ways to tell if someone is on drugs (size of pupils etc.). He wasn’t getting a pass from LE on these possibilities.

The FBI is 100% not going to confirm. The best you can get is the restaurant saying they were there by name and the patrons that shared the experience.

Which has happened; including its being in the media, and media actually has a fairly high threshold for these false flags, to the point where when one occurs, anyone following the case knows it’s irresponsible nonsense (the random woman claiming she had seen ‘someone who looked like’ Lori Vallow’s daughter Tylee and somehow got CBS to entertain this as a long-form segment, long after it has since been proven she was deceased); plus, the witnessing couple have posted a copy of their dated receipt from the restaurant online.

It’s not like the restaurant is retroactively guessing, and the more likely that both agree, the more likely both are to be right.

the restaurant would have ample footage to search and re-search by now, in order to compare the voices and body language of people they thought they saw, which has been posted online from Gabby’s journey; and by both accounts it was a memorable enough exchange that the restaurant is willing to agree they saw them.

Not sure I agree.. The police should not have acted how they did. But initially, the officer secured the situation so he couldn't flee (keys outside on the hood). Had Gabby said he slapped her (she didn't) I have no doubt they would have booked him. A review of the situation is warranted because this is sadly typical of DV interactions. How do you know he was the aggressor if everyone is telling you he wasn't? It's a slippery slope to just treat them all like it's male beating female even if that's true the majority of the time. In this case I think the behavior of LE was bad, but ultimately didn't factor into the decision to not hold him. Had she accused him of anything I bet they would have.
What I found concerning was when two of the officers were discussing who should be charged and how to proceed, one officer said "well as long as he doesn't admit to hitting her, we have to assume that she's the initial aggressor". I don't know if that officer realizes how often the original aggressor fails to admit that they started it or even that they assaulted at all. And in addition, how many times the victim will take the blame and omit that that the aggressor assaulted them. It's like a bullying situation, more often than not the kid being bullied won't say anything or will take the blame to appease the bully.

hypothetical translation of Laundrie family/Bertolino statements:
"he left home without his wallet and phone" --> he has a backpack full of cash and food and has a few burner phones. And there's a stash of supplies out there somewhere to keep him fed and comfy.

"Brian is missing and we're concerned he might hurt himself." --> our attorney said to say this because we want to get ahead of the eventual accusation that we knowingly harbored him and helped him escape

this is all hypothetical and conjecture.

Agreed. I don't trust anything from the Dirty Laundries at this point. It's another red herring. MOO.

BL was IMO very controlling! reasons:

1. He had NO JOB. He also as far as I'm aware was not a college graduate. Knowing Gabby was trying to start a career for herself as a blogger/influencer and knowing she'd be great at it, made him feel inadequate as a "man."
2. He was 23 and already balding, which from guys I know, it's an extremely sensitive topic to guys, a huge insecurity. He knew his GF was objectively more attractive than him, so he has to keep her "down" to make her feel inferior to him. For example, I think at one point in the body cam footage, I heard BL say to the cops, something about her being a "blonde blue-eyed 23 year old," etc.

In my opinion, BL felt very inadequate, and felt like if Gabby had any success for herself, then she would LEAVE him.

Women who are abused cry all the time. It's not because he was mean to the staff. She cried because BL is MEAN. She was living in a tinderbox. All.The.Time. Call this speculation if you want to, but that's how it is.
Not all.
Many never cry
Eventually they don't talk think or feel either!
Gabby WAS crying, she seemed to be breaking, fracturing at that point in time.
But they reconciled after that, were seen in the MP restaurant on 27th...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpacerCat