Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested in hearing what the officers could have done to change the trajectory. When I think about it I can't envision what they could have done that would have stopped GP and BL from reuniting.

Well there was one thing. One of the male officers went up to Gabby towards the end of the body cam video and put words in her mouth. Something like, what should I tell him ... that you love him and look forward to seeing him tomorrow ? .... and she just looked miserable and nodded. {Edited to add - she also mentioned the phone charger after that, but the first part of that was not her own words]

Then the cop went over to BL and repeated those same words to him, "She has a message for you - she loves you and she looks forward to seeing you tomorrow" - but those were not HER words. Those were the COP's words. Maybe if he had let her actually talk and use her own words, they might not have actually reunited the next day. She maybe could have called her Mom an hour later, and maybe her Mom would have said "Things have gone too far, come home!" But after that message from the cop to BL, it was determined what would happen.

I was shocked that the cop actually put words in her mouth like that. Like he was dealing with a little girl who didn't have her own valid opinion.

Last edited:
I think what many are failing to see is the information on the 911 call was completely ignored as evidenced in the body cam and police report. If anything that info tells us in hindsight that this call was handled incorrectly. LE was required by law to make an arrest or issue a citation. They didn't even do that correctly.

Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female
@SuziQ thank you for bringing this out. And I agree with you.

I think the package most likely contained a hairbrush or razor - hair is a good source of DNA. I don't think finger prints since these are more likely found in physical sites - cars and buildings. and LE don't need any confirmation that he was in the camper van or the family home.

A further point about whether he has taken his own life. It might depend on whether he has access to any social media or news outlets (less likely if he is in a wild reserve or park, and depending on whether the family did leave stores, a burner phone or other supplies in pre-arranged locations on their family 'camping' weekend ready for his disappearance).

BL's parents reported that he went missing on the 14th - telling LE this on the 17th. It wasn't until the 19th (I think) that the Bethune family video emerged and her body was found. So its perfectly possible that BL has no idea of these developments. I think if he does know then he is more likely to have taken his own life. That doesn't rule out the fact that he could have done so anyway through the realisation of the enormity of what he'd done to Gabby extinguishing her life and running his. But its an interesting thought that he really might not know what LE and the world now knows - that her body has been found and that there are now warrants out for his arrest.

JMO

Last edited:
never heard the word bond...just the instructions to go in the AM and put it all to bed.
Book him for speeding and talk to him about hitting women, disregarding all his talk of her craziness, her little blog, her disobedience to him etc, all that nonsense, and concentrate on the issues of law violation... even in Moab, or where ever the slapping round took place, it cannot be a city statute that a bloke can whop a woman a few times , and casually drive away, surely>>??
”book him”… for speeding. You mean as in arrest him and send to a holding center or prison? Really? Wow. Is that even an option for a moving violation like speeding - 45 in a 15.

Hypothetically, if they had followed the law. Someone might be in jail and in need of bond money. And in having to get bond money from a possible parental figure, said parental figure might just insist on separation. There is no downplaying an arrest to a parent, but it is possible it was downplayed in the back of the police cruiser if it was mentioned at all.

It seems to me if they arrested him for the earlier report of hitting her they would have to arrest her for hitting him (he definitely had injuries). BL said he didn't want her arrested. GP said it was just a bad morning so I'm assuming she wouldn't press charges either. So, in the end, the officers probably would have decided to just separate them for the night as they did. I guess the male officers could have warned both of them about toxic relationships like the female officer did but I'm not sure that would have had much impact on their decision to reunite. IMO.

Police say the search at the reserve is continuing by air. They need water levels to drop in some areas. Many of the trails are very flooded I noticed when I was out there.

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1442263028020490245?s=21
Unfortunately, the water levels will not drop for at least 2-3 months. This is the rainy season here. The Myakka River is 8' over it's banks just like it is every year. A friend owns 15 acres right on the Myakka River on River Rd. That plane that was circling north of the Carlton Preserve today was over that area of Myakka City. Him and his buddies clear debris with chain saws each spring. Here is his trail cam from a few years ago. The black on the bottom of the trees is the water level.

upload_2021-9-26_19-28-16.png

Sarasota, FL Weather Alerts - The Weather Channel | Weather.com

The Flood Warning continues for the Myakka River At Myakka River State Park. Until further notice. At 9:00 AM EDT Sunday the stage was 8.2 feet. Flood stage is 7.0 feet. Minor flooding is occurring and minor flooding is forecast. Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending at 9:00 AM EDT Sunday was 8.2 feet. Forecast...The river is expected to rise to a crest of 8.2 feet this afternoon. Impact...At 8.0 feet, The main road at Myakka State Park floods. Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 8.2 feet on 10/02/1949.

Well there was one thing. One of the male officers went up to Gabby towards the end of the body cam video and put words in her mouth. Something like, what should I tell him ... that you love him and look forward to seeing him tomorrow ? .... and she just looked miserable and nodded. Then the cop went over to BL and repeated those same words to him, "She has a message for you - she loves you and she looks forward to seeing you tomorrow" - but those were not HER words. Those were the COP's words. Maybe if he had let her actually talk and use her own words, they might not have actually reunited the next day. She maybe could have called her Mom an hour later, and maybe her Mom would have said "Things have gone too far, come home!" But after that message from the cop to BL, it was determined what would happen.

I was shocked that the cop actually put words in her mouth like that. Like he was dealing with a little girl who didn't have her own valid opinion.
Well, he did think it was amusing when BL called her crazy. Disgraceful.

I’ve seen it posted many times about concern with LE’s response to BL regarding his own personal life with HIS wife. Am I the only one who sees that as a ruse to, possibly, extract a confession from BL?

”book him”… for speeding. You mean as in arrest him and send to a holding center or prison? Really? Wow. Is that even an option for a moving violation like speeding - 45 in a 15.
I don't know about Utah. In my state, 30 mph over the speed-limit is punishable by up to 60 days in jail.

They have had possession of GP since 9/18. They have had the van since 9/11, I believe. Plenty long enough to ask for additional DNA samples to me. And the urgency to go and get them on Sunday morning? I can't imagine what it could be for now! I have to think crime scene or some tox result.

Joseph Petito, Gabby's father, called his daughter "the most amazing person I've ever met."

"I want you to take a look at these pictures, and I want you to be inspired by Gabby," Petito said at the service. "If there’s a trip you guys want to take, take it now. Do it now while you have the time. If there is a relationship you’re in that might not be the best thing for you, leave it now."
Gabby Petito case: FBI visits Brian Laundrie's family's home, asks for items to help with 'DNA matching'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE