Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #42

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to post this in Robert's thread too, but I thought I'd post it here since they mention Gabby ❤️

Teton County Search and Rescue
3h ·
We have issued the following news release about today's missing person search up on Teton Pass:
September 28, 2021
For immediate release:
Jackson, Wyo. — Teton County Search & Rescue conducted a search for Robert ‘Bob’ Lowery at the base of Teton Pass, Wyo., on Tuesday, Sept. 28. After four hours of searching on foot, a team with a search dog located a body fitting Lowery’s description on a steep, timbered slope. Lowery, a 46-year-old man from Houston, hadn’t been seen since August 20. Cause of death is currently unknown. The family has been notified as authorities wait for verification.
On the search were 25 volunteers, along with three dog teams from the region, including from Jackson Hole Search Dogs and another from Driggs, Idaho.
An investigation into Lowery’s whereabouts had been ongoing within the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, but new clues recently surfaced that prompted the SAR callout.
The widespread news coverage of the Gabby Petito search helped bring light to Lowery’s case, and resulted in at least two members of the public calling local authorities this past weekend with new information about his possible last seen point. The new information put Lowery on the Black Canyon Trail, wearing a black baseball cap with a gold P, and carrying a black duffle bag with the Nike logo.
Given this new information, TCSAR initiated a response. The volunteers split into seven teams and combed the thick timbered area surrounding Black Canyon, a popular hiking and mountain biking trail in the summer. At about 1 p.m., a dog team located a body and black Nike duffle bag significantly off trail on a steep, wooded slope. Volunteers spent Tuesday afternoon recovering the body from the mountainside. Collectively, the search teams hiked more than 75 miles and covered 22,500 feet in elevation.
TCSAR offers its gratitude to all those who helped in the search, and sends its most sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.

I find it amusing that he chose Yosemite as opposed to Yellowstone, as if well heck they both start with a "Y". It's like my daughter a few years ago confusing Sweden and Switzerland because they both started with Sw.
Hmm... It shows me that his intention was that she was never going to meet the girl where she had hoped to.
So much so, that he didn't even bother to give the correct location. Had he said Yellowstone, but the friend arrived and couldn't make contact, Gabby's parents would say, she texted us from Yosemite.
It was definitely to confuse her family and probably the girl who was supposed to meet her at Yellowstone too.
He was trying to buy himself time, imo
MOO

Brian Laundrie’s mother stayed at campground identified by bounty hunter

LIVE Updates

Family say they still haven’t received Gabby Petito’s remains or possessions left in Florida

The family of Gabby Petito haven’t received her remains, which are in Wyoming, or her possessions, which are in Florida, her stepfather, Jim Schmidt, said at a family news conference.

It was not immediately clear if Ms Petito’s belongings in Florida were currently in the care of the Laundrie family or police, who have searched the missing man’s residence and taken away evidence.

A spokesman for the North Port, Florida police told The Independent after the press conference that he was not certain where the victim’s belongings were and was “unaware of any items of hers from inside the home,” positing that the couple could have rented a storage unit.

$50,000 reward being offered for Brian Laundrie arrest
Entrepreneur Sean Whalen told Fox News on Tuesday he is offering a $50,000 reward for information leads to the arrest of Brian Laundrie.

What Gabby Petito’s parents are likely experiencing behind the scenes
Gabby Petito’s family was thrust into the national spotlight as the public interest in her disappearance and death grew.

Matthew Searle has worked with thousands of families who have experienced similar tragedies and shared his perspective with The Independent

ICYMI: Couple claims they saw Brian Laundrie drinking alone at a bar drinking and “angry at the world"
A couple claims they saw Brian Laundrie drinking at a bar in Montana, alone and “angry at the world.”

The couple claims they got into an argument with Mr Laundrie over politics while they were at the bar.

Dog the Bounty Hunter reportedly setting up base in central Florida
Dog the Bounty Hunter, real name Duane Chapman, has joined the search for Brian Laundrie and has reportedly set up a base of operations in central Florida.

Mr Chapman pointed to a campground at Fort DeSoto as a possible location of interest in the search, and it was later confirmed that Mr Laundrie and his family did camp at the location between 6 September and 8 September.

Gabby Petito memorial in Florida still growing
A memorial for Gabby Petito on the lawn of North Port, Florida’s City Hall is still growing.

Mourners are leaving stuffed animals, cards, and other items to remember Ms Petito at the site.

Dog the Bounty Hunter’s team denies rumours that Brian Laundrie has contacted them
Duane Chapman, aka Dog the Bounty Hunter, has denied rumours circulating that he has been in contact with Brian Laundrie.

Social media users have been spreading false information suggesting Mr Laundrie reached out to Mr Chapman and agreed to turn himself in. Those claims are false.

Laundrie family attorney confirms that Brian Laundrie was on September camping trip with his mother
Texts from Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino confirm that Brian Laundrie accompanied his mother on a camping trip to Fort DeSoto between 6 September and 8 September.

Mr Bertolino also said Mr Laundrie returned home with his mother after that trip.

Aerial photos show no signs of police search in Carlton Reserve
Aerial photos from a news helicopter show there were next to no police at the Carlton Reserve searching for Brian Laundrie.

Police searched for Mr Laundrie for more than a week after he disappeared from his North Port home. It is unclear where police are currently focusing their search.

Pinella County Parks Department says records requests concerning Fort DeSoto campground must go through the FBI

The Pinella County Parks Department told reporters that any further public records requests dealing with the Fort DeSoto campgrounds where Brian Laundrie’s mother visited between 6 September and 8 September must be directed to the FBI.

Confirmation there are cameras at Fort DeSoto campgrounds
A reporter confirmed that there are cameras that monitor the Fort DeSoto campgrounds where Brian Laundrie’s mother stayed between 6 September and 8 September.

The Pinellas County Parks Department confirmed that Roberta Laundrie checked into the campground on 6 September and left on 8 September, three days before Ms Petito was reported missing.

Question. This has probably been answered, but it would be so far back there’s no way I could go digging for it lol. In Gabby’s YouTube video she posted, that wasn’t all from this last trip was it? I know some of what I saw looked like California, but I can’t be 100% sure. I didn’t know if it was from this most recent trip they took, or was it compiled footage from several trips? I probably at one point knew the answer to this, but I’m slowly losing my mind with this case & can’t remember for the life of me. Haha!

Gabby Petito’s father praises TikTok as family hold press conference

The father of Gabby Petito has said he believes that other missing people should get the same attention his daughter did.

Speaking about the wave of interest and publicity that Gabby Petito’s case received, Joseph Petito thanked those on social media who contributed to efforts to find her, and stressed that other missing people should be treated the same way.

At a press conference on Tuesday, Mr Petito said: “Social media has been amazing. I’d like to thank everyone for that, it was very helpful in bringing our daughter home.” He later added: “This awareness should continue for everyone.”

I agree with gingersnap. My love for my child is conditional: you murder someone, you face the consequences. I don't believe in this unconditional love garbage.
Unconditional love doesn't mean letting your child get away with things. In fact, you can love and forgive your own child while realizing they have to be responsible for their actions and face up to things, or even go to jail. Helping a child avoid consequences and blame others every time creates a bully or even a sociopath. That's a twisted form of parental love, in my opinion.

I wonder though, if once he had done the deed, whether he was strangely calm, like a lot of killers are.
I can imagine him driving home all serenely, classical music playing, gently puffing on a cigarette, and acting like it's all OK.
Because in his mind, it is all OK.
It's everyone else who is wrong.

This is how I see it as well. The drive home reminds me of Willard talking about Chef and Kurtz in Apocalypse Now

“Never get out of the boat. Absolutely {removed} right. Unless you’re going all the way. Kurtz got off the boat. He split from the whole {removed}’ program.

BL got off the boat and he ain't never getting back in

Somebody pulled all the criminal incidents or contact with law enforcement for that family, and these reports came back. So the report somehow involves either the dad, the mom, or Brian or all three. I don't know what it is because it's redacted, but it happened at an address down the street from the reserve.
That intersection (Balboa & Delmar) is actually 4.4 miles from the entrance to Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park, and another 5.5 miles to the Laundrie's house. So not really close to either.

I find it amusing that he chose Yosemite as opposed to Yellowstone, as if well heck they both start with a "Y". It's like my daughter a few years ago confusing Sweden and Switzerland because they both started with Sw.
I will put my hand up in the air and admit that I always get Yosemite and Yellowstone kind of mixed up in my mind and I've definitely done it with this case. Oh, and as a little kid I thought it was YOZE-mite Sam.

I'm going to post this in Robert's thread too, but I thought I'd post it here since they mention Gabby ❤️

Teton County Search and Rescue
3h ·
We have issued the following news release about today's missing person search up on Teton Pass:
September 28, 2021
For immediate release:
Jackson, Wyo. — Teton County Search & Rescue conducted a search for Robert ‘Bob’ Lowery at the base of Teton Pass, Wyo., on Tuesday, Sept. 28. After four hours of searching on foot, a team with a search dog located a body fitting Lowery’s description on a steep, timbered slope. Lowery, a 46-year-old man from Houston, hadn’t been seen since August 20. Cause of death is currently unknown. The family has been notified as authorities wait for verification.
On the search were 25 volunteers, along with three dog teams from the region, including from Jackson Hole Search Dogs and another from Driggs, Idaho.
An investigation into Lowery’s whereabouts had been ongoing within the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, but new clues recently surfaced that prompted the SAR callout.
The widespread news coverage of the Gabby Petito search helped bring light to Lowery’s case, and resulted in at least two members of the public calling local authorities this past weekend with new information about his possible last seen point. The new information put Lowery on the Black Canyon Trail, wearing a black baseball cap with a gold P, and carrying a black duffle bag with the Nike logo.
Given this new information, TCSAR initiated a response. The volunteers split into seven teams and combed the thick timbered area surrounding Black Canyon, a popular hiking and mountain biking trail in the summer. At about 1 p.m., a dog team located a body and black Nike duffle bag significantly off trail on a steep, wooded slope. Volunteers spent Tuesday afternoon recovering the body from the mountainside. Collectively, the search teams hiked more than 75 miles and covered 22,500 feet in elevation.
TCSAR offers its gratitude to all those who helped in the search, and sends its most sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.

Thanks for sharing and prayers to his family for they can now know that he will be home with them. In a couple weeks mountain snow will arrive and J Hole may not be green again until late April early May.

I may be really slow, but your comment just startled me into a realization. Maybe he was not just trying to forestall her parents' concern so that it would it would take longer to find her body, as I've been assuming all along. Maybe he was setting up his story.

His story, at the time he sent the text, was going to be:

- We fought and I needed some space.
- She stayed at the van doing her little website.
- I went to the Snake River to camp for a few days by myself (see, there are witnesses who gave me a ride).
- When I got back, she and the van were gone.
- Oh? Her parents got a text from Yosemite? I guess that's where she went.

Maybe he thought he'd ditch the van someplace? And then the plan started to unravel when he realized how hard it would be to get around without the van and as getting back to FL by hitchhiking or flying would be difficult?

Could that be right? Seems off?

A) We got in an argument, I took off, hitchhiked to blow off steam. She was gone when I returned, she hasn't been returning my calls. I don't know what her family is going off about, she isn't returning my calls either.

B) She came at me with a small boulder at my head while I was lying down and a fight ensued, I didn't try to.

C) I was off minding my own business, I returned to find her body and thought nobody would believe me, I panicked and ran.

I do think BL convinced himself that she would never be found or that by the time she was, there’d be no evidence left, imho. But for a person who read true crime, he sure didn’t seem to be thinking about things like debit card transactions, traffic cameras, and cell phone pings. He may have bought himself some time, keeping GP’s parents and Rose at bay, but it was never going to last long, imo. He left too many clues, as we have seen.
I wonder if he used the bank cards thinking it would appear SHE was alive making purchases? That's probably been discussed here, but it has never occurred to me until I read your post.

Not classical music. That Spotify playlist with the badger decomposing. MOO.

There are indeed many areas in Yosemite with no cell service, e.g. campgrounds in the high country. I have recently camped there and told my friends and family that there was no service beforehand. They thought I just make this up but you can really go off the grid there. That said, I don't believe at all that this text was true in any regard.
And there are many civilized places that you can go in and around Yosemite to get to cell service to make contact with family. If Gabby truely had gone to Yosemite, all she had to do was to drive into the Village, the Lodge or the Ahwanee Hotel to use their wifi.

Question. This has probably been answered, but it would be so far back there’s no way I could go digging for it lol. In Gabby’s YouTube video she posted, that wasn’t all from this last trip was it? I know some of what I saw looked like California, but I can’t be 100% sure. I didn’t know if it was from this most recent trip they took, or was it compiled footage from several trips? I probably at one point knew the answer to this, but I’m slowly losing my mind with this case & can’t remember for the life of me. Haha!
I feel your pain! As best I recall, we learned from one of her family members that this was footage compiled from both the present and previous trips. Hth.

Brian Laundrie update: Attorney for Gabby Petito's family skeptical that fiancé's family will help FBI search - CNN

An attorney for Gabby Petito's family expressed skepticism Tuesday that the parents of her fiancé Brian Laundrie would help in the FBI's ongoing search for him.

"The Laundrie's did not help us find Gabby. They're sure not going to help us find Brian," family attorney Richard Stafford said. "For Brian, we're asking you to turn yourself in to the FBI or the nearest law enforcement agency."

Speaking at a news conference alongside Petito's parents and stepparents, Stafford said the FBI had asked them not to discuss the relationship between the families. He said they were confident the FBI would thoroughly investigate the case and get justice for Petito.

Of course, it’s just that some suggest he’s not in the swamp because he ‘wouldn’t know how to survive’ or is ‘probably dead because he needs granola’ and what not. I’m just saying that all signs, for me anyway, point to him being able to survive for a good bit on his own.

Edited for grammar.
I misunderstood your post. I am sorry. I agree with you.

I'm not sure. She and Brian did take a cross country trip to California.

I don’t know for sure, but my impression was that some of it was from their last road trip.

I have the feeling that Brian has achieved Brian Nirvana...a special place where only he resides. A special place where nobody gets in his way, nobody complicates his vision or obstructs his path, nobody puts a drag on his brand of freedom. He tried sharing himself with other humans, but they failed to deliver the level of devotion he feels he deserves. It takes a lot of effort and concentration to become one with rocks, trees, melons used for bowls and nature as a whole. It takes a lot of effort AND a dependable place to crash when financing his world subtracts from his enjoyment of it. He believes the internet (according to his blog) "melts your mind" and he posts this philosophy on social media. He pairs up with the happiest blogger this side of heaven. Great philosophy. Great decisions. The world of Brian. Now, this paragon of independence, has rid himself of all subtraction from himself and emerged fully realized as the perfectly liberated Brian - except for attachment to his lawyer, his parents and whoever is keeping him in melons and veggies.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member