Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #45

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GP (successfully) reported missing 11 September
BL last seen (per his parents) 14 September
BL named "POI" 15 September
BL federal arrest warrant issued 23 September

I know we all know this timeline. But I summarize it because I simply cannot believe that on 30 September 2021 THE FBI CONTINUES TO "COLLECT SAMPLES."

They've been to the house at LEAST three times. They've had WEEKS! WHAT AREN'T THEY MANAGING TO GET THAT THEY HAVE TO KEEP "GOING BACK FOR" and what can we expect the integrity of these items to be at this stage in the game?

IMO, I am concerned this is police work "on the fly" without a real mission focus and/or plan, because this is not an ideal way to collect ANYTHING. Welcome thoughts and challenges.
It's quite odd.
Brian Entin tweeted earlier that the cctv footage from the campsite was only requested by FBI AFTER Dog went there...
Kinda weirdy...
I'm a tad uneasy.

GP (successfully) reported missing 11 September
BL last seen (per his parents) 14 September
BL named "POI" 15 September
BL federal arrest warrant issued 23 September

I know we all know this timeline. But I summarize it because I simply cannot believe that on 30 September 2021 THE FBI CONTINUES TO "COLLECT SAMPLES."

They've been to the house at LEAST three times. They've had WEEKS! WHAT AREN'T THEY MANAGING TO GET THAT THEY HAVE TO KEEP "GOING BACK FOR" and what can we expect the integrity of these items to be at this stage in the game?

IMO, I am concerned this is police work "on the fly" without a real mission focus and/or plan, because this is not an ideal way to collect ANYTHING. Welcome thoughts and challenges.
This is the FBI. There is no more experienced law enforcement agency in the world. There is a method to their madness.

Evidence is analyzed, new information comes to light, and the investigation proceeds within the confines of the law.

The FBI didn't suddenly forget how to do their jobs. I don't understand how one can possibly look at what is going on, and conclude that's the case.

We don't know what they know. Not yet.

The video released tonight is new. I just watched the whole thing. It's from the perspective of the bearded cop. It changed a few things that I thought about the situation.

I think the bearded cop was actually the better of the two, which is something I didn't realize. The problem is that he went into the situation with the wrong set of assumptions, and didn't give weight to the 911 call that said he was hitting her. The worst thing about the encounter is that he couldn't stop himself from running his mouth. He had an opportunity to do some real listening. A couple times he asked her questions and then just rolled right over her when she went to elaborate. A few times she looked off to the side, it looked very much like she was trying to decide whether to tell the truth. But he didn't give it the space to unfold.

What he did have right was that putting GP in jail was a terrible idea, and it was kind of him to do the research to see if there was a way to get out of it. (and no, I don't think putting her in jail and reinforcing that she was the problem would have served her. I do not think it would have saved her life. I think it would have emboldened BL even more).

The other thing that we saw in the video for the first time is her reaction when he said that instead of jail, he might be able to separate the two for the night. She was clearly terrified and didn't really realize the gravity of the situation and how close she was to being arrested, booked, and having a permanent record. She sputtered, "but we're a team, we can't be separated, can I pay a ticket for the curb, for speeding? I'll pay any ticket," while sobbing. She sounded really, really scared about being alone for the night in the van.

Imo, putting her in jail should never had been an option because she was the victim. What a nice guy for not arresting a victim.

So they don't have bodycams? I thought it was discussed aways back that she interviewed Gabby...could be wrong, Anyway, apparently Moab PD decides what to release and when so I'm just curious as to why there is no interview w/ the 2nd witness.
Just to fill you in: Melissa Hulls is a Park Ranger, and the Park Service has at this time denied an FOI for her body cam. There are links in the thread about this if you search “hulls” in the search bar! She does have body cam footage but it isn’t released yet and is separate from Moab PD.

Last edited:
has anyone read the book BL was reading on the trip in the desert areas: Annihilation?
I have. It's a really intriguing sci-fi story.

Honestly, I don't think you can glean anything from this reading choice. It's a popular book with strong female characters and environmentalist themes. I know there's a description going around about how it's about "women who go missing," but frankly, it's about as much about "women going missing" as the movie Aliens is.

So they don't have bodycams? I thought it was discussed aways back that she interviewed Gabby...could be wrong, Anyway, apparently Moab PD decides what to release and when so I'm just curious as to why there is no interview w/ the 2nd witness.

I don't know if they have bodycams. If they do, I would think it would be up to the park service (or whichever group they work for) to determine, not Moab PD. Imo.

You might be right. But there are reports that her did drive past their home and saw the van. And reports that police were called that day. So he may have driven there, even if it was hours away. I'd drive endless hours to try and find my daughter.
Agreed. Can't really say more about that, except it is curious.

This is the FBI. There is no more experienced law enforcement agency in the world. There is a method to their madness.

Evidence is analyzed, new information comes to light, and the investigation proceeds within the confines of the law.

The FBI didn't suddenly forget how to do their jobs. I don't understand how one can possibly look at what is going on, and conclude that's the case.

I believe they're aware of so much more, and I trust that they're doing their job. I do not, however, agree with the way Moab and North Port Police Departments handled the situations.

Yes and it makes me want to vomit.

I can't bear to watch the whole thing but of course TV coverage plays clips of it and he looks so happy and relaxed and she looks so distraught and miserable and grrrrrrrrrrrr
It’s disgusting. He is the ultimate abuser. Watching that video breaks my heart for GP and her family.

I get what you are saying, and I hear you. I have federal government experience myself. Which is why I find it so shocking that the FBI continues to return to the home, the "target," knowing full well that every time they do, they set off a journalistic firestorm (and increase tensions amongst the public). They also expose agents to the media, which is undesirable. The government stresses a philosophy of "getting away from the X," or the area of "action," so as to minimize risk. This is not happening with these repeat collection visits.

Which is why I am so shocked at what I am seeing, and querying for information anyone might be able to add to give context to this patchwork approach. If they need to keep getting specialized warrants to collect certain items, for example, then I'd love to learn more about this and welcome any public evidence that could support it.

This is speculation, but an educated guess at the least--- I think that her family had been calling BL and his parents and his sister, asking for news about Gabby because they couldn't reach her. They tried for over a week and finally Gabby's dad drove over to their home---and saw the van.

At that point he had to be very angry and confused that no one was answering their phones.

Gabby's mom first contacted Mrs. Laundrie and Brian about Gabby via text message on 9/10.

• Schmidt tells DailyMail.com that on September 10 she texted Brian and his mother Roberta trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied
  • 'I knew something was wrong,' Schmidt said. 'I felt something was off and I needed to get her reported missing immediately
Mother of missing Gabby Petito says boyfriend and his family IGNORED her desperate texts | Daily Mail Online

I don't think he intended to kill her, but that doesn't make it an accident. If they were walking on a narrow trail and he tripped and knocked her down a cliff, that would be accident. Grabbing her throat until she dies is not an accident.

I'd guess probably second-degree murder, maybe manslaughter. Not sure what degrees of culpability Wyoming has. But definitely not an accident.
Your reply to ringbearer triggered a possibility for me. I agree with you that it wasn't an accident. I believe he realized he was losing control over Gabby and began raging at her. Then he lost self control and it spiraled to her death. But the new thought is that, should he be alive, captured, and have to answer ~ His answer will be that he pushed her (remember that's the first thing he said in the first released body cam video) and that she 'accidentally' fell died. As in, he didn't mean to kill her ~ it was an accident. To be clear, this is not what I believe happened but it is what I imagine would be his claim.

I get what you are saying, and I hear you. I have federal government experience myself. Which is why I find it so shocking that the FBI continues to return to the home, the "target," knowing full well that every time they do, they set off a journalistic firestorm (and increase tensions amongst the public). They also expose agents to the media, which is undesirable. The government stresses a philosophy of "getting away from the X," or the area of "action," so as to minimize risk. This is not happening with these repeat collection visits.

Which is why I am so shocked at what I am seeing, and querying for information anyone might be able to add to give context to this patchwork approach. If they need to keep getting specialized warrants to collect certain items, for example, then I'd love to learn more about this and welcome any public evidence that could support it.
It is possible that the DNA samples from
original clothing given to LE for missing Brian search did not match with sample they took a couple of days ago or some other anomaly has occurred with samples.

After watching the 2nd body cam I am even more enraged at anyone who characterized Gabby as “hysterical” in their articles. Nothing of the like. She was a little flustered but well spoken. Got more upset reasonably as she was characterized as the aggressor and the one in trouble for the incident. She was overwhelmed, and upset, naturally, and at other times very calm. I don’t like the term hysterical for that interaction.
Yeah, I was surprised when I saw the video since before it was released Gabby was described as "hysterical." In the report the officer wrote Gabby had gone into a "manic state" in the van, and that her statement was "inconsistent" to what Brian said, "further suggesting her confused and emotional state."

It was if he believed everything Brian told him and nothing Gabby said.

Unless he was suggesting she was the victim, I don't see why he wrote, "At no time during my investigation did Gabrielle stop crying, breathing heavily, or compose a sentence without needing to wipe away tears, wipe her nose, or rub her knees with her hands."

Your reply to ringbearer triggered a possibility for me. I agree with you that it wasn't an accident. I believe he realized he was losing control over Gabby and began raging at her. Then he lost self control and it spiraled to her death. But the new thought is that, should he be alive, captured, and have to answer ~ His answer will be that he pushed her (remember that's the first thing he said in the first released body cam video) and that she 'accidentally' fell died. As in, he didn't mean to kill her ~ it was an accident. To be clear, this is not what I believe happened but it is what I imagine would be his claim.

Hm, I suppose that is a possibility. Depending on the cause of death, of course.

I just decided in my own opinion, that they GP and BL were not real campers. Water alone does not work for dehydration or stress even heat caused stuff. You can dehydrate so fast its not funny on the road and hiking. You need some salt, sugar etc. And alway carry juices and water etc. Tragic. Sorry I have a fixation on this new body footage released. Also at age 22 I would have fought like heck to get my stuff back if I felt I was being abandoned in a town in Utah. I would still to this day although I have a broader horizon and would be calmer. I think also in my own opinion that the homicide declaration could be due to no other underlying conditions found during autopsy. Could change even? Don’t know if an official death certificate has yet to be released? JMO food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay