Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The GP foundation is looking like a great thing, but I believe DV awareness and police procedural response changes will be the biggest positive outcomes of her death. I hope her foundation pushes advancement on that front too.

NEW: “To my knowledge Cassie went for a day.”
Laundrie family attorney says Brian’s sister Cassie was at the campground last month – despite Cassie saying in an earlier interview she hasn’t spoken to Brian since he returned to Florida.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443965282553368587?s=21

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie’s sister was at the campground with rest of the family, attorney says | NewsNation Now

That answers one thing for me -- why they searched the reserve so thoroughly -- they have surveillance video of BL entering. It's also interesting how his sister lives on the north side of the reserve and it seems she forgot to mention she spent a day with her family at the campground.

In many DV situations where one's child is the person at a risk, fathers are not told the details until there's a plan of action. Fathers often react differently than mothers.

IME, when a person begins to think about leaving a DV situation or deteriorating relationship with a controlling partner, that person has to be very careful about who they tell and even then, it's dangerous. It's true that if a woman's father shows up (armed or not) to extricate her, that sometimes works - but in general, that father is likely to get into trouble if he's worked up. Perhaps Gabby's dad has some health issues and even if not, I know my blood pressure would go up if I learned my daughter were in this situation. I would want to do something but it is the adult daughter who has to get a plan together. All I know is that many women tell their mothers, and the mothers promise to keep things a secret until it's safer.

I don't think it has to do with "closeness," but more with the need for absolute secrecy in leaving a situation with intimate partner violence. .

SBM I agree with all of this. It's extremely common that female victims of domestic abuse do not disclose to fathers or brothers because they are scared of how they will respond out of "protectiveness". They don't want their father or brother to go after their partner and land in jail. It's also not uncommon for mothers to block a father or brother from finding out what's going on. "Don't tell your dad/brother, he'll lose it and that's the last thing we'll need."

I have talked with fathers who seriously regretted making casual comments like "If a guy ever harms you, I'll kill them." because it ultimately resulted in their daughters feeling like they couldn't turn to them when they found themselves in that situation. Something for dads to think about. Assure your daughters that you will be there for them AND that you won't react in a way that will cause more harm.

I have read all the info, and repeatedly watched the videos. I know what the 1st witness said. I also know that GP, BL, and the second witness all said the opposite. I'm just saying that there seems to be a running theme that BL abused her, and I just do not see the evidence of that. I'm not saying its not the case, I just don't see it. I would also venture a guess that if not for the eventual outcome, most others wouldn't either. It's a lot of speculation.

I guess I am one of the few people that actually believe what Gabby said to the police:

LE: why are you fighting?
"he stresses me out"
"he told me to calm down"
"did he slap you?"
"no".....what she said is that he grabbed my face and scratched her cheek...after she hit him first.

DV victims DO NOT always lie to LE, many times they are the ones that make the call. LE believed they were both telling the truth. Brian admitted they both got physical.

And Brian said after LE asked him how he got hit in the head... 'she got me with her phone'....so maybe that is why he was trying to get it from her.

And I see no evidence that he was going to drive off without her. He wanted to separate in order for both of them to calm down.
I dont know how she got killed. I truly hope he does not commit suicide and tells her parents the truth about what happened. Did he lose his temper and then lose control?

No friends or family have come forward to indicated there was a history of physical violence.

I wish LE would release the results of the autopsy...but I don't think they will till there is a trial....if there is a trial....

Do the park employees actually have to See all three people registering, or is it one person goes into the office and fills out the paperwork. That person can put down any amount of people staying in the camp site and the employee does not verify it? So maybe mom filled out registration paperwork and said 3 people, but only 2 people actually were there.
We camp fairly often. We are always required to list the number of people but only my husband goes to check in. No one has ever come by our site to verify the number of people actually there.

True. But really to risk losing your kids over this in case she did have a hand in this? Is that worth it?
jmo

I would be really surprised if she lied to the FBI. They make it clear that if you lie to them, it is a felony and they are not shy about charging it. I think she either lied to the press to get them to leave her house or this lawyer is mistaken as to when she actually saw her parents. Maybe they went camping in August.

18 USC 1001 covers false statements if anyone is interested. 18 U.S. Code § 1001 - Statements or entries generally

I guess it is possible that Cassie went camping and didn't see Brian. Would that mean that he had left before then if so? And how would he have left? Car, foot or kayak? OR did anyone else go with Cassie and BL meet up with them and leave?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

yes, but per her own admission, she was hitting him. they would have had to arrest her as well. I understand DV completely.

No, as the vehicle was shared. They were engaged, and per GP he normally would say, lets take a walk apart. It looks as though he may have been trying to de-escalate the situation. That sounds like the right thing to do as apposed to continuing an argument. It sounds like everyone is twisting legal ownership into the issue.
I don't think taking the keys from someone and locking them out of their van is a way to de-escalate an argument. It seems that Brian's way of dealing with stress is walking away to avoid dealing with the situation. He slapped her, then proceeded to hit her as they ran up and down the sidewalk, according to a witness. Then he jumped in the van and locked her out. I don't think he tried to get her to calm down at all.

If they argued at home and he locked her out of the house I would feel the same way. It sounds more like avoidance behavior to me. Imo

This case gets more twists and turns daily! I feel Brian is alive and eventually he will be found. Too many members of the general public are aware of him!
Cassie Laundrie specifically said she had not talked to Brian since he returned to Florida. This interview took place after the family camping trip.

"Brian Laundrie's sister Cassie Laundrie breaks silence on Gabby Petito case | ABC Exclusive - ABC7 New York" ABC Exclusive: Full interview with Brian Laundrie's sister on Gabby Petito

I'm honestly beginning to think the attorney is purposefully providing misinformation to the press. He went from basically making no statements to almost openly communicating, at least on a limited number of subjects, and you can look at the screenshots posted through various reporters' Twitter accounts and see that the responses aren't always copy-and-paste responses. Maybe he realizes that providing contradictory statements is a better way to keep the media off the real story.

I’m sorry but I think he is just that dumb.

True. But really to risk losing your kids over this in case she did have a hand in this? Is that worth it?
jmo

We have zero knowledge of what she actually shared with LE. Perhaps she has been truthful with them all along.

I would imagine, especially since she has kids and might want to keep the media circus at bay, it would be easier to say "I haven't seen him" as a general public statement. She is under no obligation to be truthful to the media or the general public.

Of couse, now the lawyer has thrown her into the media circus....

MOO.

Exactly. Him locking her out continues to escalate the situation, just because he says it's to calm her down doesn't make it less aggressive. She's in an unknown area, all her stuff is in the car, he has everything including her phone and people are like "yeah, he's taking the high road here, asking her to take a timeout is fine." The context is everything, and the context here is GP being put in a horrible situation by BL. The high road for him would be to give her the keys and her phone and walk away. She was chasing him around because he took those things. She wasn't trying to stop him from leaving, just leaving with her property. There's no excusing his behavior on that one, IMO.

His behavior regarding the keys/controlling the vehicle is one more way of trivializing and disempowering her. Who is he to decide what is best for her, forcing it on her, taking her belongings to tell her that her emotions are wrong, she's crazy, she's out of control, she needs him to get her in control of herself.

People: that is emotional abuse. A person may come to you weak or strong, but if you belittle, diminish, gaslight, control their physical movement, threaten to leave them alone and unsafe, imperial their safety, or undermine their mental state, you are abusing that person.

That answers one thing for me -- why they searched the reserve so thoroughly -- they have surveillance video of BL entering. It's also interesting how his sister lives on the north side of the reserve and it seems she forgot to mention she spent a day with her family at the campground.
*campground at Fort De Soto, not the reserve

Has there been any update from Dog the Bounty Hunter? He seems to have been very quiet for today and yesterday. I looked at his twitter and there doesn't seem to be much there.
I'm just curious, has he dealt with a case that the FBI was involved in before? I know he's been high profile, but the feds are a whole other ballgame. Maybe he has experience with them too, but if not, maybe he's seeing a side to the FBI he wasn't expecting and is going to back away quietly.

BL has had a lifetime of camping and hiking.
Snipped for focus.
NB that experience is according to him. All indications are he's actually had very little. In the photo of him in a backpack, he hasn't even done it up correctly. Every one knows since toddlerhood that when you put on a belt, the buckle goes in the middle in front of your belly. BL missed even that basic lesson, and it's made the whole thing is askew.
So, he might quack like a duck, but he doesn't walk like a duck, or look like a duck. So, no duck.

PS I would venture to bet that there is no WSer on this thread who would put a belt buckle just any old how. If I handed you a pack, you would automatically put the buckle in front of your belly in pretty much the correct location. 'Cos that's where you put belts. So, give yourselves credit and realize just how out of range of "experienced" this guy is.

And I'll bet BL's never been alone, either, and I don't mean just in the backcountry. He needed his mom to get him out of his fix with GP. He's going to handle being by himself in the wilderness? Snort!

His behavior regarding the keys/controlling the vehicle is one more way of trivializing and disempowering her. Who is he to decide what is best for her, forcing it on her, taking her belongings to tell her that her emotions are wrong, she's crazy, she's out of control, she needs him to get her in control of herself.

People: that is emotional abuse. A person may come to you weak or strong, but if you belittle, diminish, gaslight, control their physical movement, threaten to leave them alone and unsafe, imperial their safety, or undermine their mental state, you are abusing that person.

I’m so glad this case is highlighting this fact for the entire world to see and understand.

IMO it matters a lot, legally, that it was in her name. In regards to the 911 calls, he was trying to take it from her. Also when he turns up in FL in possession of a missing woman van.
And, from my understanding, this wouldn't be considered his domicile, but a vehicle he's using on a trip or vacation.

This is exactly right. One way of interpreting it is that he was trying to make off with her van and belongings, including everything she'd been working on.

I suspect another threat to Gabby was that it would destroy the dream of the Van Life blog/influencer thing she had been working so hard towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95