Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys, something really upsetting just occurred to me. I'm watching the footage released today, & something just jumped out. The officer tells BL (direct quotes here, but I recently broke my quote button being to vigorous in cleaning my keyboard. & some extraneous info skipped over, indicated by my insertion of [...] ):

LE: She's going to have a court date online, in a week or two, she's going to have to show up for court date online & have to answer....

BL: [...] it was a little squabble, I'm sorry that it had to get so public... So, I just want to get the checklist of things we gotta do to get rid of it.

LE: Well, she'll get a paper with the court date...

BL: How do we get rid of it? [makes a cut sign & laughs]

LE: Well the court date has to be attended [...] From there, she can ask to speak to the prosecutor. The prosecutor might be contacting you. & say hey man, like, I know she's a 11o pounds soaking wet, & you're a big strong guy...

Now, speculation on my part here: This could have presented an enormous amount of stress for them/him in the following days & weeks... whether she would have ever intended to do this we don't know, BUT he could have been terrified that she could have used that moment to provide more context to the event or even say more about their history & how he'd been treating her... He could have absolutely been losing it about this court date approaching.

A week or two means potentially in the range of Aug 19-Aug 26. Did it occur while he was away? But would he really not want to know what she said? Did she stay in the hotel in order to have a good internet connection to attend the court date? That may not have been a firm estimation from LE at all. For all we know, her court date could have been scheduled for sometime after Aug 26...

I wonder if we will find out if a) this court date happened, or b) was about to happen, before she was killed.

This information changed some things for me... I feel like it could perhaps almost speak to a potential motive...

JMO.
Feeling really heavy & going to take a break from the board for the rest of the night, but interested as ever in your thoughts.
They chose not to charge her, as I understand, so no, no court date, just a request to stay away from each other for the night, Brian at hotel and Gabby with van. They knew this before they left. Again, this is my understanding after watching it all too many times.

Sometimes there is no scream. When Frazee beat Kelsey to death, no one heard her scream and Frazee told his cohort that all Kelsey said was "please stop".
Patrick Frazee trial: 'Please stop,' Kelsey Berreth pleaded as she was beaten to death, says witness
We expect that someone would scream, but they don't always make much noise. One of the largest hurdles with women who are assaulted is that they often won't scream and it leaves them with incredible amounts of guilt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../23/why-many-rape-victims-dont-fight-or-yell/

It's quite possible that Gabby froze and didn't make any noise.
You can't scream if someone is choking you. jmo

She may not have. But you sound as though you have some certainty that she didn't speak to any parent. What leads you to that conclusion? The lack of public description of the call by her parents?
I am not certain that Gabby didn't call any of her parents.
She may well have done.
It's just that her family have shared their interactions with her but no one has ever brought up that particular call.
jmho

this whole time ive been thinking that brian didn't want her meeting up with rose bc it was doing something on her own / taking time away from him, but just occurred to me that with things escalating between them as they likely were that he may have been worried time with a friend would mean she might tell rose what was going on and get encouragement to leave and he couldn't let that happen

jmo
I just somehow get the feeling Brian didn't like Rose--maybe because of her lifestyle and it's possible effect on Gabby? Hearing Gabby mention to the police on the video that Brian didn't think she was going to be able to do her blog--I wondered if the context of that had to do with distractions from Rose being there. Who knows...

He might have stopped over at a motel once or twice, too. After all, it's roughly 60 hours from 11pm 29th (rumored gas station sighting at Jackson Hole) to 10:30am Sept 1st (confirmed plate reading near NP). Plenty of time to stop over on the way home if 36 hours is the straight driving time.

Okay. So if GP was arrested she would go to jail, and BL would leave in the van. Neither were arrested and GP left in the van, and BL got a room. Right? I'm not from Utah or Wyoming, and I don't know DV processes and that's why I'm asking. What would have been better? Everyone is saying LE didn't handle it right, so what should they have done differently? Could their actions or mishandling cause what happened to GP later?
Not everybody is saying that.
You asked what they could have done and I provided you with the latest information, linked several times already.
I don't believe it would necessarily have changed the outcome unless the seriousness of a felony record would have caused her to stop and think.

She would have returned to him immediately is my opinion.
It may have broken a chain in the co-dependency link or it may not.
We can only speculate.

You guys, something really upsetting just occurred to me. I'm watching the footage released today, & something just jumped out. The officer tells BL (direct quotes here, but I recently broke my quote button being to vigorous in cleaning my keyboard. & some extraneous info skipped over, indicated by my insertion of [...] ):

LE: She's going to have a court date online, in a week or two, she's going to have to show up for court date online & have to answer....

BL: [...] it was a little squabble, I'm sorry that it had to get so public... So, I just want to get the checklist of things we gotta do to get rid of it.

LE: Well the court date has to be attended [...] From there, she can ask to speak to the prosecutor. The prosecutor might be contacting you. & say hey man, like, I know she's a 11o pounds soaking wet, & you're a big strong guy...

Now, speculation on my part here: This could have presented an enormous amount of stress for them/him in the following days & weeks... whether she would have ever intended to do this we don't know, BUT he could have been terrified that she could have used that moment to provide more context to the event or even say more about their history & how he'd been treating her... He could have absolutely been losing it about this court date approaching.

A week or two means potentially in the range of Aug 19-Aug 26. Did it occur while he was away? But would he really not want to know what she said? Did she stay in the hotel in order to have a good internet connection to attend the court date? That may not have been a firm estimation from LE at all. For all we know, her court date could have been scheduled for sometime after Aug 26... at which time we have very little evidence of her being alive (only the restaurant encounter iirc).

I wonder if we will find out if a) this court date happened, or b) was about to happen, before she was killed.

This information changed some things for me... I feel like it could perhaps almost speak to a potential motive...

JMO.
Feeling really heavy & going to take a break from the board for the rest of the night, but interested as ever in your thoughts.
Yeah, this whole part was left out of the first release.

Okay. So if GP was arrested she would go to jail, and BL would leave in the van. Neither were arrested and GP left in the van, and BL got a room. Right? I'm not from Utah or Wyoming, and I don't know DV processes and that's why I'm asking. What would have been better? Everyone is saying LE didn't handle it right, so what should they have done differently? Could their actions or mishandling cause what happened to GP later?
Only BL caused this. There is a small chance that they could have prevented it by calling in an advocate to help, but even then it was probably unlikely to have changed the outcome.

I just somehow get the feeling Brian didn't like Rose--maybe because of her lifestyle and it's possible effect on Gabby? Hearing Gabby mention to the police on the video that Brian didn't think she was going to be able to do her blog--I wondered if the context of that had to do with distractions from Rose being there. Who knows...

Rose wasn't there. What are you talking about? All reports are of a man and a woman at the Moonflower coop.

Brian says "I gave her time" in the Moab stop. It seems pretty clear from both of their testimonies that he wanted her to stop working on her website and to go to the Arches for water and a hike. They both bring up working there from 9-3pm. Time spent there seemed to be in contention. Add in the part where he admits to pushing her food around on the plate.

There is no indication that Rose was 'distracting' her from her Van Life work. In fact, it would appear that Brian was the one not being supportive of her work ethic.

Sometimes there is no scream. When Frazee beat Kelsey to death, no one heard her scream and Frazee told his cohort that all Kelsey said was "please stop".
Patrick Frazee trial: 'Please stop,' Kelsey Berreth pleaded as she was beaten to death, says witness
We expect that someone would scream, but they don't always make much noise. One of the largest hurdles with women who are assaulted is that they often won't scream and it leaves them with incredible amounts of guilt.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news.../23/why-many-rape-victims-dont-fight-or-yell/

It's quite possible that Gabby froze and didn't make any noise.
True.
Also possible she didn't see it coming.
An attack from behind etc..

https://twitter.com/WFLAJB/status/1444074868463575056?s=20

J.B. Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
4h

To all on this thread, yes I’ve seen the transcript, but I want to hear/see the full, unedited interview Cassie Laundrie did with
@GMA
. I think it’s important to gain a full understanding of that exchange about not hearing from #BrianLaundrie.

https://twitter.com/WFLAJB/status/1444073673133019137?s=20

J.B. Biunno
@WFLAJB

·
4h

On Cassie Laundrie: The public deserves to hear the full, unedited interview she did with
@GMA
. Hoping that
@ABC
releases it to clear up any possible contextual murkiness surrounding what she meant by “I haven’t been able to talk to him.”

…..
Personally, I agree.

I am not certain that Gabby didn't call any of her parents.
She may well have done.
It's just that her family have shared their interactions with her but no one has ever brought up that particular call.
jmho

To be fair, it may not be something that Gabby's parents want to speak of. Their daughter almost getting arrested, the violence of the moment. The amount of police that arrived at the scene.
They seem to be classy people who want to stay above the fray. Preserve the good of their daughter's memory and image. Not speak of the dark moments. As is their choice.

A week or two means potentially in the range of Aug 19-Aug 26. Did it occur while he was away? But would he really not want to know what she said? Did she stay in the hotel in order to have a good internet connection to attend the court date? That may not have been a firm estimation from LE at all. For all we know, her court date could have been scheduled for sometime after Aug 26... at which time we have very little evidence of her being alive (only the restaurant encounter iirc).

JMO.
It could very well be the reason for the fight

Was there a pending court date or was all that changed when they opted not to charge her?
Editing this for important correction! Other WSers explained that as Gabby wasn't charged, there would be no pending court date. I had misunderstood how this all worked, & I'm sorry to have misunderstood & shared misinformation!

Last edited:

JMO.
It's so interesting how people see the same things so differently! I honestly thought Brian was concerned about Gabby having a record...that his comments reflected how to avoid it--for her sake and for her future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan