Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to correct you on this, nowhere has it said it's for the use of Gabby's card, simply the unauthorised use of a card.

Small point: the relevant statute's wording is "knowing" "use of an unauthorized access device" with "intent to defraud."

So it's the knowing use of a lost/stolen/etc. device, with the intent to defraud (~steal).

"Unauthorized access device" is defined in the statute as an access device (card, PIN, etc.) that is (among other things) lost, stolen, expired, canceled, etc.

18 USC 1029(a)(2) is the statutory reference; definitions are in 1029(e).

I didn't realise there was a distinct difference between "planned" and "premeditated".
My understanding is it turns to premeditated when a decision is made to harm them.
Premeditation
Someone premeditates a crime by considering it before committing it. Premeditation requires that the defendant think out the act, no matter how quickly—it can be as simple deciding to pick up a hammer that is lying nearby and to use it as a weapon.

What is premeditated and deliberate conduct?

My understanding is it turns to premeditated when a decision is made to harm them.
Premeditation
Someone premeditates a crime by considering it before committing it. Premeditation requires that the defendant think out the act, no matter how quickly—it can be as simple deciding to pick up a hammer that is lying nearby and to use it as a weapon.

What is premeditated and deliberate conduct?
MOO, there is no concrete definition of what constitutes premeditation. It is (IMO) one the most debated legal theories and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. One thing that has surfaced as a more universal acknowledgement, however, is that premeditation does not require advanced planning but rather, may be formed in seconds. MOO. Not fact.

Aren't F-150s the bigger ones of the lineup? Or do they come in different sizes? Just thinking that if I'm hard up for cash (bc who knows when I can earn some more), I'm going to try to buy the cheapest clunker I think will get me to where I think I want to go.

I'm also thinking that if I'm so out of my mind (for whatever reason) that I'm asking strangers in NC/TN (wherever they were) at night for back roads directions to a place 2500 miles away bc I believe my dead girlfriend that I've recently spoken to is there, and there's a literal bounty on my head, how likely is it I've chosen and managed to find and acquire a vehicle to purchase on the down-low?

Yes, he could have stolen it, though absent (afaik) a sketchy legal history, he knows how to hot-wire a car? Or lucked into finding (and dared to risk being sighted/caught) one with the keys in it?
BBM. RE: the part I bolded. The F150 is the smaller truck in the F-Series. You’ve also got the F-250 & F-350.

ETA: @nocommoncents already answered this part. But I will add - & I posted another comment about this, too, but to hopefully answer you…these are common first trucks for 16 year old guys. When they get older, they sell them. So you can find them ranging from new & super expensive, to used & relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Or if his conscience is eating him alive. MOO
Or he truly believes that's all that happened.
Not trying to give this guy a hall pass of any sort, but I truly think he will be declared incompetent to stand trial. From various bits of info that is emerging, it sounds like he has been unwell for awhile. Likely GP and the parents held him together, until they couldn't any more.

All amateur opinion and speculation

Seems like a very plausible scenario. It's too bad BL didn't learn to leave her keys and phone with Gabby and take a walk to cool down.
There was no need to take her phone/keys to cause her to panic unless that was the point to make her panic.
Seems like they both thought that the other one was going to ditch them with the phone and van which were their respective lifelines. So both wanted to either be in the van w a phone or have custody of the keys. Both extremely insecure. No trust. He in particular had her in fear every time there was an argument. He could run home to his parents. She only had a home there if he wanted her there. Her home WAS the van........and everything she needed was in it, including all of her work product/equipment. But she depended on him to be the driver. He could take off whenever he wanted, she was responsible for the vehicle...she couldn't just ditch it. What a mess. jmo

I agree that it was probably a lack of options, but I could most likely go a block from my house and see at least 3 or 4 white Ford F150s. Imo
True, but if he were making a conscious effort to blend in, wouldn't he have tried to fake an accent? That would be the first thing that would stand out to me.

Yes, he could have stolen it,
In the mountains there are vacation cabins with vehicles parked there for part time use. If he found a vacant cabin with a truck, he maybe could take it without the owners knowing until their next visit. The more wealthy people might have security cameras or motion detectors, but if it was an older F150, ...

I like your comment. However - he did not seem awkward or inarticulate at the Moab stop, and that would seem to be a very high-stress situation, at least before he could see that he was not being looked at as the potential aggressor.
I'm not sure how you're able to make that determination.

Also, words and behavior can be misinterpreted. I've personally witnessed this a lot with law enforcement, and I'm seeing it in people's attempts to analyze what little we know about Brian.

I'm not suggesting that my understanding of him is correct. But as I've stated before, we interpret through a lens, and there isn't just one. There are differing perspectives, and even if someone is a respected professional, bias can be a problem.

It's my opinion that bias is skewing some of our understanding of Brian.

MOO, there is no concrete definition of what constitutes premeditation. It is (IMO) one the most debated legal theories and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. One thing that has surfaced as a more universal acknowledgement, however, is that premeditation does not require advanced planning but rather, may be formed in seconds. MOO. Not fact.
Yes, spouse walks in on SO cheating, grabs a gun and kills them, not planned but premeditated in that a decision was made in those few seconds to kill them. The circumstance might mitigate the severity of the charges/sentence.

It's not the bigger of the line-up (there's 250, 350, etc) but it would be bigger than a Ranger. I think that's what you're asking. It would be the most inconspicuous option, color and all, but I'd be more inclined to believe it was choice made by a lack of options.

Yeah, got it. I think I once actually vaguely looked up their lineup (or meant to) bc I assumed that higher number would equal bigger truck, and it didn't seem to be the case. If I ever started trying to figure it out, it was so far down my list of "random things I'm curious about" I definitely never finished. :)

There's something wrong here. No one has responded. Not local PD, not FBI? That would be a mistake in MOO. Because if it was him I'd think he's now long gone. MOO

I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not really. Maybe it's because they're wading through reams of reports, who knows, but I first found Websleuths while looking for information on the killing of Lori Heimer, who lived nearby. In that case, a number of us in the rural area reported seeing a man dressed all in black who had been camping/sleeping? along a rural road near her home for more than a week before she was murdered. Like my neighbors, I called both the Sheriff and the KBI. No one ever called back. Other neighbors who reported the same thing were never called back and no one ever did a sketch. That case appears to have gone cold, but local LE would not share info with anyone else.

It can be discouraging and frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members