Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I’ve been wanting to bring this up. A few years ago I was seriously considering van life, (although I was planning to use savings, not trying to monetize it). During this time I joined a ton of van life groups online to learn how to do the build-out, ask questions about elements of van life that concerned me, etc. and I just can’t imagine anyone could do it without the support of these communities. I’d be really interested in seeing if folks here could sleuth out Reddit accounts for GP or BL by looking for posts that seem to fit what we know about them in the vandweller subreddit. I strongly believe Reddit can reveal a lot about someone, especially because not only can you see their posts but also their viewing history. If GP had Reddit I wonder if she would be posting for a advice about van life straining their relationship?

Last edited:
Thing about Brian is that we know absolutely nothing about his character, integrity level or even reputation.
It is almost impossible to wager a ghost of a guess about what his plans or likely actions might be.
I wonder sometimes if he follows news of himself.
I have no clue as to whether he is alive or not.
This one is a blank. Utterly blank.

Hi everyone - took a few days off. May today be the day.

Also, listening to this 911 phone call...it sounds very scripted and he even got the last name wrong, though. I'm not buying it.

Many and many a thread ago, a poster mentioned the book The Cold Vanish, which I took from the library and just finished.

The focus of the book is about searching for missing people in America’s National Parks and National Forests and the absolute nightmare of finding people in the wild. These are primarily people who vanished due to unknown disaster and how SAR tries to find them. These are victims who are not running from the police and are usually dead. (Like finding Gabby, though these are generally adventurous types who met with accident, not murder). However, there is a portion of the book about criminals who are fugitives and have for years eluded LE in National Parks.

One of them, Troy James Knapp, was known as the Mountain Man and eluded LE for 7 years in the Utah wilderness. He was wanted for breaking into unoccupied cabins for years and he was a true survivalist.

The reasons I mention this as on topic are 1) there are a lot more ways to hide and survive than I had realized and 2) he was caught because one day, a father and son were hunting for shedded elk horns, met the Mountain Man, and he told them who he was. They notified authorities and he was caught after a manhunt.

Therefore, I still believe that Mr.Davis may in fact have seen BL. Sometimes these fugitives will blurt out something after all their efforts to remain hidden, though I’m sure that’s the minority.

I do also still believe Mr. Davis may be utterly mistaken, but I don’t believe he’s lying. Not everyone is like us here in WS, trying to absorb every detail, but instead with just a general knowledge of what’s in the news. Therefore I think the mistake of Brian’s last name is plausible.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
This article was published on Sept. 17th and references her mother's comments on Wednesday, which would have been Sept. 15th. Gabby Petito's mom Nichole Schmidt slams Brian Laundrie's sister over interview | Daily Mail Online

The article says:
"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.

'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'"

The body cam footage was not released until the next day, Sept. 16th. At the time her mother said that, all that was available was the police report, which emphasized (and caused a lot of comment about) GP's "mental health issues". There was also a lot of talk about the couple in Moab that was murdered and whether the two cases were linked.

So the way I read her mother's quote was that she was saying, essentially, "all of this talk about my daughter's supposed mental health issues, and all this talk of a connection between her case and the couple that disappeared from Moab is just distracting from our goal, which is to find Gabby. She didn't have a mental breakdown, she had a fight with her boyfriend after traveling in close quarters. We know that she made it to Grand Teton, so whatever happened in Moab is not going to help us find her in Wyoming."

I doubt her mother thinks that the incident in Moab is no big deal after having seen the body cam footage and after her daughter's body was discovered, and after other stories of his behavior have come to light. But at the time of the interview, she wanted the focus elsewhere.

MOO.
And her statements here do not tell us that she knew of it in advance. MOO The existence that there was an incident and report was made public prior to this with the body cam footage being released 9/16/2021. New bodycam video shows emotional Gabby Petito after reported fight with fiancé in Utah

I’m purely speculating since I’m obviously not that operator, but she may have known who he was talking about because this case has made headlines. She should have questioned him on the name. He sounded sorta shaken up too so I believe him. I just wanna know where BL got this truck if it was him.
He definitely sounds shaken up. That’s why I’m not being too hard on him with the name thing. I just wish she would have questioned him more. He definitely was sure enough about it that you could tell he was expecting a little more urgency when they were getting off the phone. All JMO.

Anyone kind of at the point where they think LE and FBI know where BL is for sure and they are just waiting until they compile enough charges before they arrest him? Why else would they not be calling eyewitnesses back, seemingly uninterested in the details…unless they knew where he was? I know the right to a speedy trial in Wyoming has been discussed before but I’m thinking this is exactly why the searches are scaled back. I think initially they may have been looking for evidence from cellphone pings etc.?

Rule 48 - Dismissal; speedy trial, Wyo. R. Prac. & P. 48 | Casetext Search + Citator
I think they do know where he is. I think they are watching from afar and undercover cops are all over him. C’mon guys, this is the FBI leading a national manhunt. The world is watching. Think about it. They aren’t gonna be able to just drive up on him. I’ve been around hunters my entire life. They need him captured alive with Public Safety their #1 concern. Their ducks are swimming around waiting to line up in a row. Red tape is a necessary evil but it’s gotta flow. Once he’s captured, they want that warrant for Gabby’s murder ready to capitalize upon the day. They want him sitting in a courtroom full of Gabrielle’s family and friends.

Which leaks? Truly curious. I think the FBI has been pretty tight lipped. And I think it's partly because if they believe BL is still alive, they do not want him to know what they are doing, what trails they are following.

Right now there seem to be two possibilities: He's dead in the swamp area (hence their search warrant for bio materials from the toilet of the camper, IMO...to get accurate DNA, which may not have been available from items already given) OR he's on the run.

I'd say that given what they have shown of their hand, FBI thinks he's dead in the swamp. If it's like other fugitive cases, they know it will take a different sort of longterm effort to find him.

Boy did I say that wrong....I did mean if they wanted to keep it in the news....did not mean to say there had been leaks. But, maybe the ex-fbi on cable news that said he was no a danger to others, might be a leak.

I agree the "flew home to clean storage locker" storys sounds bogus. But we really don't have any evidence that GP's stuff isn't at the L's home except for the following report that appeared in multiple outlets

"A North Port police spokesperson told the outlet that he was “not certain” where Gabby’s belongings were and was “unaware of any items of hers from inside the home”

Gabby's family haven't received her remains & her 'stuff is in Brian's home'

As I said, those words appeared in several stories besides those in The Sun. But we've seen inaccuracies from bad reporting gain a life of their own before. So I don't think that report should be taken to mean her stuff isn't at the house. "Not certain" can be taken to mean (to me) the spokesperson had absolutely no idea where her stuff was. None. Probably had not even given it any real thought. And who knows what the rest of the quote means. It could mean the spokesperson was unaware of any items taken from the house as evidence that belonged to GP. And that would hardly be surprising.

Personally I find it hard to believe nothing in that crammed garage belongs to GP. I guess it could be stuff from when the Laundries moved there from the condo. But they've had the house on the market since then so that seems unlikely. One thing I don't think happened is that the parents helped BL methodically throw all her stuff away before he flew back to Utah. Just don't believe it.

So far as the L's not returning GP's stuff to her family. ..Shipping it back while she was still a missing person? Bad idea. Immediately shipping it back as soon as her body was found? Even worse.

JMO

I find the statement you bring from that article peculiar. It says to me that they didn't even go in the house when Gabby was a missing person, identify where she lived in that house to even see if she could be sitting in her room!

It's very odd that there is a missing and now dead person, but the police never identified her things in the home where she lived. VERY odd.

I don't know what's going on with Gabby's things or how much things she even had. I wonder how much stuff can a 22 year old accumulate who moved already from New York to North Carolina (right?) and then to FL to live with another family. Seems like if she had furniture, from living in NC, she would have already gotten rid of that after living two years with the Laundries. But I don't know how long people generally rent storage units for.

I can understand in general that the police don't know whose stuff is whose -- like is that frying pan over there the Laundries' or is it Gabby's? You know? But otherwise, it seems the police should have gone in that home and identified where exactly Gabby resided within the home.

I’ll be the first to hold up my arm and say WRONG if he’s found wandering around someplace. But I truly think he is warm and cozy in a cabin or apartment or small house or any place out of the elements, and I think his parents arranged it. With a bit of help with an ID and since he can’t be running there to take him supplies. Nearly everything can be delivered so I doubt he need to go out much. My guess is he’s watching all this unfold on television.

jmo

At this point, I think Dog is causing more distractions than leads.

Agree. Wasn't he hours away from catching him a few days ago? IMO, he has not produced any real leads yet. I like the man and greatly respect his work, but he was convinced BL was on an island off of Fort De Soto Park, yet didn't provide any evidence to show he'd even been there other than a Monster can and some sandals that could belong to almost anyone.

Meanwhile, there have been alleged sightings of him along the AP Trail. I think Dog got it wrong initially.

MOO.

I think they do know where he is. I think they are watching from afar and undercover cops are all over him. C’mon guys, this is the FBI leading a national manhunt. The world is watching. Think about it. They aren’t gonna be able to just drive up on him. I’ve been around hunters my entire life. They need him captured alive with Public Safety their #1 concern. Their ducks are swimming around waiting to line up in a row. Red tape is a necessary evil but it’s gotta flow. Once he’s captured, they want that warrant for Gabby’s murder ready to capitalize upon the day. They want him sitting in a courtroom full of Gabrielle’s family and friends.

I gotta agree with you here.

Alabama attorney claims FBI don’t want Laundrie in custody yet

FBI may KNOW where Laundrie is but are holding off snaring him, lawyer claims

JMO, but to state flat-out that LE knows where Laundrie is is this guy wanting his 15 mins. I call hogwash.

“The police do not have enough evidence to convict [Brian] of murder,” he claims. “They went and got fraud charges to try to buy them some time and get the public off of their back.”

They only need probable cause for an arrest warrant, not "enough evidence to convict". It's up to the DA to decide whether there's enough evidence to proceed to trial. Our legal experts may correct me on this, but it is my distinct understanding that double jeopardy does not apply if the DA chooses not to proceed, or if charges are dropped before trial. It only applies if the accused is tried and found NG.

Sure they want BL in custody, and at least with just the fraud charge, there's a hope he may decide to give up and then they have him in custody while the murder investigation continues. If he's bailed on the fraud charge, at least they know where he is and can keep eyes on him from that point on. On the other hand, if he thinks he's wanted for murder, he probably won't give himself up and may successfully seek refuge in a country that won't extradite based on him facing the death penalty.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member