Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #56

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right! Gabby's bank information is listed on her Missing Person report. Hence, LEO have known of her banking data since September 11.
Do you have a link to a copy of the MP report? When this was posted a few threads ago I tried to find it and couldn't. Thanks!

My theory is that, if Brian didn't do it, he didn't know she was dead and thought she took off. That's why I was interested in how far away Gabby's body was from the van and how hard it was to find her. I think the only possible explanation for this other than he killed her is that he thought she left, for whatever reason, didn't come back, didn't answer her phone, etc. So he waited for a couple of days, looked around and didn't find her, and decided she wasn't coming back. jmo

I believe in what he’s capable of off the trail....in private.
That would be murder.

MOO

This would make Brian the most unluckiest person in the entire USA. Maybe in the Northern Hemisphere. Here he goes, poor Brian, off on a trip with his girlfriend.... at some stage in this adventure, Brian starts to publicly make a rabid, ridiculous fool of himself, slapping Gabby, locking Gabby out of the van, chasing her down the street, so bad a stranger called the cops on him.

Then, you wouldn't believe the bad luck, he loses his temper again in public at a restaurant, screaming and lunging at the women staff, going in and out to scream and screech 6 times... seen by people in the restaurant..

and a matter of hours after that, and we have to imagine this bit. .. this is where his unlucky really ramps up, a casual killer is roaming, right at their campsite, and chooses Gabby, and murders her right there in front of Brian, because it's near where the van was parked, so Brian, silly silly boy, knowing Gabby is dead, nothing he can do about it , decides to give the stranger killer a pass , and steal Gabby's bankcard and van and go home to mumanddad!....

WHO.... now stay with me here, we are nearly done..., WHO LOSE BRIAN!....

I couldn't make this stuff up. Even me.

As Dr Phil might say: "I just think common sense isn't common enough". :D ;)

I'm not getting why a code word would be needed in this case. Can you elaborate?
Gabby didn't call her grandfather Stan. So either Brian sent that text, or it could have been Gabby trying to warn her mother that she was in danger. In either elementary or middle school, I established a code word with my daughter should she ever be abducted.

But is it probable? We have eye witness and camera footage sightings around 26th, 27th, and the 29th. None of which included other people being seen in the presence of either Gabby, Brian or the van.

LE has the external hard drive. Whether or not there is still any videos/photos on it is another question. But if there is anything like meeting other people on it then LE can question those people and sort that question out.

Or they just met up with some folks along the way, which is incredibly normal when travelling cross country and ended up in a bad situation. It isn't nearly as dramatic as your story, but it IS possible. MOO!
Dramatic would be throwing into the mix some entirely fictitious creatures who invisibly accompanied Gabby and Brian on the journey..... without a vid clip ever being taken of them, Gabby recording her journey and all that.. that is the definition of dramatic license.

Brian Laundrie likely fled Florida with help, missing persons experts say

But Laundrie is likely to have fled the state and may have had help, experts in missing persons cases said.

"It seems unlikely that he's still in that reserve. They did not find any trace of him so far. It's been weeks," said former FBI agent Bryanna Fox, an associate professor of criminology at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

Laundrie, 23, of North Port, Florida, may have had financial or transportation assistance eluding authorities, Fox said, adding that if someone picked him up hitchhiking or if he boarded a bus, witnesses probably would have gone to police or the media.

"The idea that nothing has been said reinforces to me that he was likely getting help," Fox said. "Obviously, that person would have to be very loyal and very close to him ... to not compromise his identity."

Thomas Lauth, a private investigator in Indianapolis who specializes in missing persons cases, said Thursday that he agreed with the theory that Laundrie left his home state and is likely to have had help.

"I have never thought he would stay in Florida very long," Lauth said. "I believe he had some outside resources available to him early on, but those outside resources have likely cut him off because he's a fugitive."

Laundrie has the skill set to vanish in the wilderness, Lauth said.

"He's been a savvy traveler for many years. When I say 'savvy,' he's able to live off the land, and he knows how to travel alone and lightly," Lauth said.

A misstep by Laundrie or a critical clue uncovered by the FBI is likely to lead to his being found, Fox said.

"He has to get lucky all the time for him not to get caught," she said. "They only have to get lucky once. In the end, there's a good chance law enforcement will either find him or learn what happened to him sooner than later."

But is it probable? We have eye witness and camera footage sightings around 26th, 27th, and the 29th. None of which included other people being seen in the presence of either Gabby, Brian or the van.
Considering there have seemingly been less than the amount of people who can be counted on two hands (MOO!!!) that knew ANY of these people and families over the course of their entire lives willing or allowed to speak publicly, yeah, I think it is probable we wouldn't find more in the woods coming out publicly. That WOULD be strange. MOO!!!

Yes, massively more data: the actual content of text messages, potentially precise and continuous location data without having to go through the data providers and fishing for tower locations, a complete record of calls sent and received, usually a google search history eg "how to get away with murder", "how to kill your girlfriend", etc. Photos and video not posted online, and other data depending on the person's apps eg in one actual case, a diary of the murderous partner's thoughts about the ups and downs of the relationship, in another case, a fitness app that revealed the time of death and the victim's heart rate and movements prior to their death.

True there are some things. But as understand it, with iCloud, they would have the text content, any photos/videos taken with the phone, notes taken on notepad, since these things are backed up to icloud. A Google subpoena would cover search history.

This doesn't really matter, it only occurred to me because I saw somewhere people speculating that they were searching the reserve to find a phone, and I wondered if they would really use so many resources when they wouldn't necessarily need the phones anyway.

All MOO

Last edited:
Yes, I asked an innocent question about this earlier and was told we were not to talk about this issue.
I think that was about people trying to make anagrams out of Stan's name, just like the SBTC message in the Jon Benet Ramsey case. Different scenario.

If I was on the jury I would believe the panic leading to fleeing argument *only* if BL had a history of being accused of things that he wasn't guilty of, and running was the only thing he'd done. Maybe then it could make sense in his case to flee. But when the woman he loves most in the world is lying there dead and he takes her van and uses her credit cards to go get a lawyer in Florida, and then disappears for 2+ weeks, it doesn't look good for him.

Nothing about his actions, not just the running part, but then the disappearing part, indicate "potentially innocent" to me. It would be stunning to me if he's ever determined by a jury to be innocent of murder, given nearly all of his actions after August 30-31. It's not as simple as running, it's everything he's done. He's also probably destroyed evidence and stolen numerous things. Her phone. Her van. The tent. etc.

IMO
It seems to me there HAD to be an antecedent to this stuff in BL's past. I'm thinking the reason for the trip back to FL from SLC was to address the antecedent, i.e. in court. It has to be an event/behavior that was expunged, since no one's dug up evidence of prior LE encounters.

I have been following this case since the beginning, but have never weighed in until now.

From the first day this broke open, the entire case has just been ODD. There are just so many things that don't make sense. Specifically, the actions taken by BL and the subsequently seemingly strange behaviors of RL and CL. I am happy to see a number of theories surfacing in which BL might be innocent. Do I think he's innocent? Likely not...Occam's razor and all that. And yet, the possibility is there as none of us really KNOW anything beyond the scant (and ever-changing) facts available in the MSM, so if everything in theory and conjecture, then we should consider all of the possibilities.

Some of the oddest facts actually make more sense in the context of BL's innocence. For instance, if they had set up camp on the 27th and then had an argument or something and BL decided to take off on a solo hike, then he would likely take only a tarp since the tent was already set up for GP. So that would make sense that maybe he was off doing his own thing and that maybe someone else came along with nefarious intent.

Assuming he returns and finds no sign of her...waits around for a day or so and she doesn't come back...or maybe even happens upon her body and assumes he will be the prime suspect, he then decides to take the van and go home. Is that what most any of us would do in similar circumstances? I don't think so, and yet, none of us really KNOW what we will do in any given situation until we are faced with it. I'll spare the personal examples, but I know this to be true and I expect many others here do, as well.

The DeSoto camping trip also makes more sense if you assume the parents didn't have any clue what had really happened until after her family reported her missing and the police got involved. It also makes more sense if BL didn't know what had actually happened to GP. Of course, he could have been in denial or he could have been thinking he was getting away with it and gloating, but I think MOST people who had just committed a murder (specifically an unplanned one, which would make the most sense also given the other facts) would be doing anything but going on family camping trips. Then again, acting normal is probably one of the best ways to cover, and if her discovery would have taken a little longer...

But again, then it doesn't make sense to take the van. He was willing to hitchhike, so why not hitchhike home or to an airport or bus station? It would have been easy to do so and then claim later that they had argued and decided to go their separate ways and that he had left. It would be very hard to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was the perpetrator.

I mean, honestly, if he did kill GP, then every action he took afterwards makes no sense whatsoever. If he didn't then it does make sense that he might have started freaking out about going towards...say...Jackson, and change his mind and want to go back to check on her. He could have started feeling guilty about leaving her alone in the wilderness and decided to go back. And then we come back in a circle to how one should react in such a situation when they've returned and can find no sign of their former beloved.

And then there's the Carlon Reserve:

If you're going to head out, on foot, to elude authorities, why would you drive your car to a place that would give them a starting point? Especially considering that as the crow flies, the reserve is only about 4 miles from the house. If you're about to spend unknown numbers of days living off the land and hoofing it to do so, why wouldn't you just walk into the reserve? You wouldn't have to go all the way to the main parking lot to go in, either.

You might have to cross a canal or two, but it wouldn't be impossible. If you're braving the elements in Florida, then you should have the wherewithal to get across a canal. I'd much rather chance a gator than live out there with the bugs. Gah! I lived in North Port and Port Charlotte long ago and while it has changed and grown a lot since I was there, I'm willing to bet the bugs haven't changed.

I've just typed up many of the factors I think could point to his innocence, and which make the available facts seem to better fit the puzzle; yet, I think the likeliest scenario is that he did it and ran, and the Mustang was a false flag designed to extend his already considerable head start. Whether his parents are complicit or not, I can't speculate, but I feel fairly confident they had no idea of the true picture until the 10th or 11th, and probably not even really until after GP was discovered.
Welcome and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us. Very helpful! Moo!

Gabby didn't call her grandfather Stan. So either Brian sent that text, or it could have been Gabby trying to warn her mother that she was in danger. In either elementary or middle school, I established a code word with my daughter should she ever be abducted.
But her mother didn't remember there was a code word and just said 'Stan?, why are you calling your grandpa 'Stan'? ...

Brian Laundrie likely fled Florida with help along the way, experts say

Authorities returned Thursday to the sprawling Florida wildlife refuge where they have been searching for Brian Laundrie, who is wanted for questioning in the disappearance of his fiancée, Gabby Petito, whose death was ruled a homicide.

But Laundrie is likely to have fled the state and may have had help, experts in missing persons cases said.

"It seems unlikely that he's still in that reserve. They did not find any trace of him so far. It's been weeks," said former FBI agent Bryanna Fox, an associate professor of criminology at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

Laundrie, 23, of North Port, Florida, may have had financial or transportation assistance eluding authorities, Fox said, adding that if someone picked him up hitchhiking or if he boarded a bus, witnesses probably would have gone to police or the media.

"The idea that nothing has been said reinforces to me that he was likely getting help," Fox said. "Obviously, that person would have to be very loyal and very close to him ... to not compromise his identity."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89