Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a very good theory. My thinking too. The one thing I keep going back to though is him mentioning Gabby at all to the people who picked him up. If he was setting up an alibi that would show he wasn’t there then why leave with the van and go home and say nothing?
Two scenarios….
1. He left after a fight and came back and she was dead.
2. He killed her and panicked. Left to clean up and set an alibi for not being there.
In both of those the scenarios the logical thing would be to call the police. He can say he wasn’t there when it happened.
But he throws away any chance of that when he leaves. He knows he has been seen by these people. And he knows he mentioned Gabby to them. It doesn’t make any sense to even bring her up if he was just going to take off with the van and drive home. MOO is that if he was planning to do that he would not have said anything at all to the people who picked him up.
But then again…a lot of this case doesn’t make sense.
Another possibility is that BL set up his alibi with the hike, planning to return to the van, "discover" GP dead, call 911... but then was afraid to follow through with calling 911, fearing being arrested, etc., so he just went into fear mode and drove straight home.

Every one keeps giving Brian the benefit of the doubt that he is in his right mind and making rational decisions. IMO, if Rose was indeed telling the truth that Brian hears voices, and that Gabby had stayed at her place several times to escape Brian, IMO Brian could be suffering delusions and not thinking or acting like a normal rational person would, which is why nothing makes sense to rational Websluthers IMOIMO :)

Interesting the person Gabby was meant to meet up with was Rose in Yellow Stone ! hmm

Every one keeps giving Brian the benefit of the doubt that he is in his right mind and making rational decisions. IMO, if Rose was indeed telling the truth that Brian hears voices, and that Gabby had stayed at her place several times to escape Brian, IMO Brian could be suffering delusions and not thinking or acting like a normal rational person would, which is why nothing makes sense to rational Websluthers IMOIMO :)
He isn't so psychotic/delusional that he can't formulate a plan or know he's guilty and in trouble. He steals her cards and drives home, and has the sense to trust his parents about hiring a lawyer. His plan just wasn't a very good plan (kind of like Laci Peterson's husband disposing of her body not far from where he happened to have a boat, and concocting a stupid story about going fishing on a holiday when they would have been prepping for having the family over, telling his mistress that he was having the first holiday without his wife before she was even dead, and then calling the self-same mistress from the car on the night of Laci's candlelight vigil, saying he was in Paris, apparently irrationally believing that she would not see the news coverage of his wife's disappearance).

I don't think his actions can all be chalked up to being psychotic or hearing voices (especially since people who are schizophrenic/delusional are rarely violent) as much as they can be chalked up to being not very bright, and worse, underestimating the intelligence of other people. MOO as a person with expertise in the brain/psychology/cognition and who has studied schizophrenia.

Last edited:
Another possibility is that BL set up his alibi with the hike, planning to return to the van, "discover" GP dead, call 911... but then was afraid to follow through with calling 911, fearing being arrested, etc., so he just went into fear mode and drove straight home.
I believe a slight variant of this. MOO

Do you have to attest to anything when you report a missing person? Can I just call up your local PD and say "Hey, ThoughtFox is missing, or so I've heard..."?

you have to file a report- I googled "missing persons in FL" to see if there is a time requirement for adults, and there is not per se.

When can you report a missing person in Florida?
Any person having knowledge may submit a missing endangered person report to the clearinghouse concerning a child or adult younger than 26 years of age whose whereabouts is unknown, regardless of the circumstances, subsequent to reporting such child or adult missing to the appropriate law enforcement agency within the ...

Chapter 937 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

BL is under 26, so even in a more protected group, but I imagine LE asks the reporter some questions about why the reporter considers the person to be missing. BL had been traveling and had one or more vehicles at his disposal. If you read the law, after certain periods of time, LE is supposed to get finger prints and dental records and load them into a missing persons data base.

Or.....he had mentally prepared himself to "arrive" on the scene, story in hand, after LE was already present. But then he returned to....nothing. No activity. No discovery. Now what? He can't just sit there and do nothing, so he just says the heck with it and drives home to FL. jmo

I want to hope it's true but I have to agree with you.

Like I said... if true.

Here's my source.
It was posted in WS Thread #22 Page #24 Post #464:

In this live video from Sept 21st, the policing expert on the ground says he has a source that says her remains were not disturbed by wildlife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwA7pQgvFM&t=1s
Thanks— I’m sure then that it must be true, as they’re the ones who have professional experience dealing with these incidents.

I personally think that the attorney wasn’t aware that BL wasn’t home with them until the day that he informed LE that the Laundries wanted to speak to them about BL and it came out that he was gone. I think the parents kept that bit to themselves for days and then let it slip and the attorney was like look you need to report him missing, if nothing else but for damage control. MOO.
Sorry jumping off your post.

That's just reminded me of something!

Didn't the attorney say he spoke with his client (Brian) on the 14th?

A reminder of what his lawyer stated:

"Many people are wondering why Mr. Laundrie would not make a statement or speak with law enforcement in the face of Ms. Petito's absence," the attorney representing the Laundrie family, Steven P. Bertolino, said in a statement last week. "In my experience, intimate partners are often the first person law enforcement focuses their attention on in cases like this, and the warning that 'any statement will be used against you' is true, regardless of whether my client had anything to do with Ms. Petito's disappearance. As such, on the advice of counsel, Mr. Laundrie is not speaking on this matter."

Gabby Petito case: FBI agents search Brian Laundrie's Florida home, seize his Mustang

(published 9/20/21 and says "last week," so the advice not to speak was given as early as 9/13?)
bbm
Good points !
Wonder if there was a flurry of calls amongst BL, his parents, and their lawyer ?
It'd be interesting to see the phone records and texts around that time !
MOO.

He isn't so psychotic/delusional that he can't formulate a plan or know he's guilty and in trouble. He steals her cards and drives home, and has the sense to trust his parents about hiring a lawyer. His plan just wasn't a very good plan (kind of like Laci Peterson's husband disposing of her body not far from where he happened to have a boat, and concocting a stupid story about going fishing on a holiday when they would have been prepping for having the family over, telling his mistress that he was having the first holiday without his wife before she was even dead, and then calling the self-same mistress from the car on the night of Laci's candlelight vigil, saying he was in Paris, apparently irrationally believing that she would not see the news coverage of his wife's disappearance). I don't think his actions can all be chalked up to being irrational or psychotic or hearing voices (especially since people who are schizophrenic/delusional are rarely violent) as much as they can be chalked up to being not very bright.
A million likes for this. And consider Scott's escape plan: Phony IDs supplied by relatives, money stash, business attire, and a nifty new blonde hairdo and beard. The kind of a runner people who don't usually run think is a shrewd move. MO

Hmmm. I'm wondering when the police started accepting every word coming from a fugitive's handlers as gospel. Must have begun when the LA PD believed Robert Shapiro was going to deliver OJ to them. I am amazed at the avalanche of curiosity not displayed from day one of this case by LE. It all seems a day late and a dollar short. MOO

right!! The police were at a severe disadvantage from the jump because the family had a lawyer. And I’m sure the police assumed everything the attorney was saying was credible, but for all we know the attorney didn’t know BL was gone either. I highly suspect that BL was never even there the day the police first came knocking, and the police just had to believe he was. It’s so sad.

But did they even have the ability to compel him to show his face, assuming he was at the Laundrie house the day Gabby was reported missing? He had an attorney and the family told the police to speak to him. The police really had their hands tied from the start. But either way, if he was already gone from the house the police wouldn’t be able to keep track of him anyway, and that is what I think happened. They believed his attorney that he was in the home (and I question if the attorney even realized he was gone or not, I kinda think the parents lied to the attorney too). The police were at a disadvantage from the start because the Laundries all had time to plan whatever happened that led to BL getting out of town.

Right. BL was a POI with an attorney. What could they do until there was a warrant to arrest him? As far as surveillance, why would they? Someone with an attorney doesn't appear to be someone who is going to flee, do they? Besides, how often do police engage in surveillance anyway?

So this is exactly the question -- why weren't the Laundrie parents the ones required to report this instead of the attorney? Their attorney had some type of communication with Brian on the 13th but he hadn't personally seen Brian (in how long?) to say for himself when Brian went missing. He could only pass on what the parents had said. (Ignore for now that bit about his parents not knowing just when he left either...)

100% THIS

Personally, I think SB inserting himself in key 1st person moments, such as this, as well as texting media, is all but intentionally forcing LE & everyone else to just accept his 3rd party words as facts.
And by the looks of it... LE appears to have fallen into a fair amount of nothing-burger rabbit holes because of this 3rd party tactic... thus far.

The only thing SB is accomplishing by doing this, imo, is creating a schitload of hearsay situations.
jmo

I was just thinking about the money that was offered to the tiktok woman from a suspected BL for hitchhiking, is there a town in between where GP was found and where they apparently picked him up? So he could withdraw cash, and maybe this is what the warrant is about?Having $200 is a lot of cash (to me anyway) to be carrying around and offering to someone. All my opinion.

I did n
Different airlines have different policies regarding the quantity of ammunition allowed, but every time I've flown with a firearm (ranging from handguns to shotguns to rifles) I have taken my own ammunition with me.

Edit: Looks like CharlestonGal and I are on the same page wrt this topic.
Maybe it is the airline. I do know that they have never been allowed to travel with ammo, they always purchase it when they get there and even the small amounts that are left over at the end of the shoot they give that away to locals are people not flying.
Without doing any meaningful research, my first inclination would be that maybe that team departs or travels through an airport in a city or state with more restrictive regulations regarding ammunition, or that maybe the local club members have simply agreed to that policy to reduce risk. I'd be interested to know if you remember to ask why. Thanks for your perspective!
Hubby is at a shoot, not here to ask. I looked at United Airlines, who he usually flies with, policy is ammo allowed if under 11 pounds, must be a weight issue. They can shoot a few cases at a 3 day shoot.

100% THIS

Personally, I think SB inserting himself in key 1st person moments, such as this, as well as texting media, is all but intentionally forcing LE & everyone else to just accept his 3rd party words as facts.
And by the looks of it... LE appears to have fallen into a fair amount of nothing-burger rabbit holes because of this 3rd party tactic... thus far.

The only thing SB is accomplishing by doing this, imo, is creating a schitload of hearsay situations.
jmo
Bingo! And a million likes for this one! MOOing.

I personally think that the attorney wasn’t aware that BL wasn’t home with them until the day that he informed LE that the Laundries wanted to speak to them about BL and it came out that he was gone. I think the parents kept that bit to themselves for days and then let it slip and the attorney was like look you need to report him missing, if nothing else but for damage control. MOO.
bbm
Yes !
THIS ^^^

Very likely; IMO.
Makes sense as to why BL was said to have gone for the hike and not returned, but not 'missing' as in 'gone and no one knows where or why' ?
MOO.

This is what Gabby's mum had to say in an MSM interview.

.........Schmidt told DailyMail.com that she's now questioning everything and looking at things through a new lens.

'Maybe the relationship wasn't what I thought,' she said.

She said she can't understand why neither Brian nor his parents have reached out to her in the aftermath of her daughter's disappearance.

'It's a very mysterious situation. We don't understand why he's doing this. Everybody's assuming the worst and thinking he's guilty of this. But I don't want to believe that. I want to believe she's just in need of help out there and that everybody needs to keep searching.'

Schmidt described how Brian's parents had been warm and welcoming to Gabby during their relationship. She recalled a time when his mother even knitted her future daughter-in-law gifts for Christmas.

'She loved her like a daughter,' Schmidt said. 'As far as I knew they were all very caring and treated her like one of the family. His mom was so excited about the engagement.'

Boyfriend of missing Gabby Petito returned to Florida alone 10 DAYS before she was reported missing | Daily Mail Online

This is what Gabby's dad had to say about Brian on Dr Phil.

Dr. Phil
How well did you know him, and what was he like?

Gabby's dad
I'd met him a bunch of times, you know. I'd never liked any of Gabby's boyfriend's, let's be real. I've never actually called any of her boyfriends by their real name, ever. I've always made up names for them, to be honest with you.

Dr. Phil
What was your name for Brian?

Gabby's dad
Brianna.

Dr. Phil
Why that?

Gabby's dad
Why not? I always tried to use the female version of the boyfriend's names. Just to intimidate them a little bit.

Dr. Phil
How did he respond?

Gabby's dad
They laughed. As the years progressed I think she prepared them for when they met me.
Brian was always respectful you know? I can't say he wasn't.

Dr. Phil
What kind of relationship did they have, how would you describe it?

Gabby's dad
There's no red flags that stuck out. Nothing that popped in my head that this boy, you know is not a good boy. If there were I would've discouraged going on the trip........

Dr. Phil
Did you ever witness them fighting?

Gabby's dad
No.

Dr. Phil
Did she ever talk to them about fighting?

Gabby's dad
No..............

Dr. Phil
Were you aware of the engagement and did you go along with it, were you ok with it?

Gabby's dad
Yeah, yeah. Listen you know, at the end of the day if my daughter's going to be happy and she loves you and you love her, which from what I saw, I'm okay. That's all I care about and you know that's it, my daughter's happiness.

I still see some stuff here as a little "off" I don't know how to pick out parts of a post to quote so I'll just say nothing i see said here is a huge endorsement for either BL or the relationship. Mom says the L's were "warm and welcoming' That sounds a beginning with the welcoming word but the relationship was long so who knows in later times how she was? NS remembers "one time" when RL knitted GP something for Christmas. One time . Mom says RL was so excited about the engagement. She doesn't say "when I spoke to her she was so excited about the engagement" so that leads me to think that she was retelling what Gabby told her. Dad basically says well, I didn't hate him and if that was her choice ok. I thank you for posting that as I hadn't had a chance to see the Dr Phil things as life's been a bit hectic lately. My gut still tells me there wasn't lot of warm and fuzzy going on with these families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member