Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
thats so odd because I literally heard him answer a question from Elieen Lehpamer at the 17:15 mark ...where he states he couldn't confirm if it was manual strangulation or with a ligature...so why did he say that to Anderson Cooper?
There was a FOIA request for the report which states it. Once the cat was out of the bag...

You know, one thing I would really like to know, outside of the most obvious, is: When BL showed up on the 1st, did CL and RL expect him to return to Wyoming at some point after, or did they know he would be staying for some undetermined amount of time?

At any time between 9/1 and 9/13, did they question the length of his stay or how much longer he would be staying?

I think the criticisms of SB's statements come from the fact that he's trying to represent three clients. While he could likely adequately represent both CL and RL with no obvious conflicts, throwing BL into the mix adds in some complications. Separate counsel could make a statement on behalf of CL & RL that could possibly help take some of the pressure and media off of them without compromising any defense BL may have. However, SB continuously makes attempts to release statements on behalf of RL & CL that are pointed enough to address whatever point he's addressing but vague enough not to imply anything about BL. I think separate counsel for the parties would at least allow more definitive statements to be made and possibly clear up some of the speculation around the parents involvement.

I feel sorry for them, too. (I know this is not a popular opinion to have, but I mean it in the most humane, empathetic, sort of way..) Also, I would bet that their attorney told them to not say a word, nor make any type of gestures whatsoever to anyone, PERIOD. As anything they say and or do might implicate them or be used against them, and or Brian, in the case. I'm sure it's very difficult in that situation, with people constantly screaming and yelling things at you constantly outside your house and everywhere you go, not to at least flip them the bird. I know I would.

I might have a bit of empathy for them if their behavior from the very first had not been cold and calculating. They acted like someone they didn’t know was missing and then found deceased. No response to Gabby’s family. No kind words whatsoever, just garbage statements from an attorney.

If they didn’t believe their son had harmed Gabby they might have shown more compassion. But the fact that they wouldn’t disclose any information at all, while letting her van sit in their driveway, shows what type of people they are.

I have absolutely no compassion for these people.

MOO

What information did he give in the media interview that was not provided in the press conference? I agree that he confirmed her death was committed by a human but I think that was inferred in the press conference earlier.

I did listen to the official press conference. I thought Dr Blue was asked if the killer used his hands or an object and he said he wasn't allowed to say. After talking to Cooper, and his mention of thumbs I think we have more info than we did from the press conference. I also do not remember him using the word "throttle" during his press conference. My memory could be faulty but I searched Thread #61, the thread that was active during the press conference, and no one posting ever used that word either when reacting to the PC. Seems somebody would have if Blue had said it.

I don't think he released super-secret info. But if it was ok to release, why didn't he during the press conference he controlled? Why go on a cable news show to do it? And why do a show like that at all?
JMO

Quotes RSBM

If worried sick or fearful that his son was suicidal --it's doubtful he'd crack so much as a grin.

I imagine ChL was nervous when out there with the FBI agent. (I would be.) Maybe the agent was kidding around a bit to lighten the tension. People smile and laugh at funerals to cope. We can't tell from one photograph whether he's worried about his son's well-being, IMO.

BL's family was criticized for having tall grass

People can be ridiculous.

I have not seen or heard anyone talk about BL

I think there was an article quoting an old alleged-friend mentioned here from The Sun (tabloid), but I haven't read it. I don't want to link a tabloid, but it should be easy to find (?).

Last edited:
Doesn’t work like that at all unfortunately. Perhaps look up why people stay and don’t tell others what’s happening.

So true. There are books, dissertations, articles galore about how hard it is to leave a dv situation.

One is simply "guilt",=---- that the victim feels they did the screwing up. That only he or she can "fix' it.

I am certain I would be the first person my daughter would call if she too fed up or considering leaving him, but she had built up this trip and endeavor to all who knew her... It would be very hard to give it all up just because of a bunch of spats.... She would still hide it from the very people who cheered her on.... for a while.

of course I am being facetious in regards to 'spats'.... but I could easily see her believing that when the fights started...

I feel very sorry them. In no world should a frenzied mob be entitled to terrorize a family. The street should be blocked off and intruders arrested. This is not okay. I'm disappointed in how this is being handled.
I'm sorry for the harassment that they are enduring, but I think that they know that they can end it by cooperating with investigators, which they refuse to do. And they need better counsel. SB is not advising in their best interest. Someone knows that BL is alive....they may not know where he is exactly, but that he is alive. JMO
First of all they should have given him a ticket for speeding, reckless driving, and seriously considered a felony arrest for evading the law in a vehicle. That gets young men shot or killed, sometimes, in city locales. All of those violations were brushed off in a bro moment and never referred to again.
Well doncha know it was all her fault! Didn't the cop ask her (or him) if she stepped on the accelerator? Assuming of course, that SHE was causing him to speed. GRRRR jmo

Immediate family members are usually told in advance of coroner's report. MOO
Her family was definitely told, that news was released before the press conference. But... the immediate family members of... the probable murderer? I have a hard time believing that the Laundries were told the outcome of the autopsy before the public. As his attorney points out, he is "only" a person of interest, so the information is not relevant to a defense (yet).

I think the coward is alive and not in the woods. Someone is housing and feeding him. I hope they are giving him drinks in plastic bottles.

I expect him to be 20 lbs or more overweight when they do find him. He's probably playing video games, eating Cheetos. I think the whole I don't drink out of plastic bottles was just virtue signaling.

What information did he give in the media interview that was not provided in the press conference? I agree that he confirmed her death was committed by a human but I think that was inferred in the press conference earlier.
In the press conference he said he couldn't confirm if it was manual or with a ligature. Its at the 17:15 mark....asked by Elieen Lehpamer . Its rather odd he said manual to CNN

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I'm in and out of the threads and virtually impossible for me to keep up. If apprehended, would Brian be inclined to use a defense relating to accidental death during passion. How would one determine an accidental death in this manner versus intent to actually cause harm? Is there a difference in terminology between suffocation and strangulation and can forensics differentiate between the two?

Yes, there is a difference between strangulation and suffocation/asphyxiation. Strangulation involves constricting airflow and blood flow by compression of arteries and windpipe. Suffocation simply cuts off access to air (by putting something over the nose and mouth so that air is unavailable).

An accidental strangulation would be where someone is putting up Christmas lights, somehow wraps the light cord around their neck and falls off their roof. I've never heard of it happening - but we used to see kids stick their heads through window blind cord loops and manage to get stuck and strangle. I believe those looped cords are no longer made. People asphyxiate themselves by doing things like trying to go down a chimney.

Crimes of passion are not "accidents." It's either an accident OR a crime of passion (let's face it, that "passion" mostly means "rage"). People who are raging are still responsible for their harm to others, it's not an accident.

Juries may get into nuances, but many a jury has determined that a strangulation takes too long to accomplish to be strictly impulsive. I think people can see it both ways (couple is fighting and raging at each other, putting hands on each other, one of them goes too far). If the jury is mostly WSers, it will likely not be ruled a crime of passion. A crime of passion is typically something like: Person sees someone sexually molesting their child and immediately goes into an unstoppable attempt to beat the crap out of that person, resulting in the person's death. It's up to the jury to decide if it was a reasonable reaction (many jurors will say, Yup, that was reasonable and understandable).

Their behavior tells me that they know he's alive. Unless they are really unfeeling people who do not care if their child is dead or alive...JMO
CL mowing the lawn flanked by reporters is one of the most bizarre scenes I’ve witnessed yet. He was literally cutting the grass around the memorial set up in their front yard, completely unmoved. What on earth is going on with these people?

Her family was definitely told, that news was released before the press conference. But... the immediate family members of... the probable murderer? I have a hard time believing that the Laundries were told the outcome of the autopsy before the public. As his attorney points out, he is "only" a person of interest, so the information is not relevant to a defense (yet).
I would be so angry if I learned that the BL family was given any "courtesy" heads up on the autopsy. Because of so many reasons I won't go into, as it would completely fill a whole page of the thread.

I'm curious to see just how many of you think BL is still alive. To see how split this group is on dead/alive

I think he is alive, and not outside.

If he is dead it is because he overestimated his outdoor survival abilities and succumbed to the elements or a snake bite or something. But I really don’t think he is outside, don’t think he is outside at all, and I think he will not kill himself. (The only way I think he’d kill himself is if LE starts closing in and are there to arrest him, probably suicide by cop).

Yes - that indicates the hyoid bone was broken. IME, one of the reasons strangulation is such a common form of DV (even if not unto death), is that the strangler wants to immediately silence the victim. The hyoid bone and its cartilage (breaking/ripping either is a sign of strangulation) are next to the voice box and the strangler grabs the neck with their thumbs just above the voicebox (larynx). Problem is, if they let go, the victim naturally starts screaming or yelling. This is not the most efficient method of strangling someone as MMA fans will point out, but the average person doesn't know how to efficiently strangle someone and there's no evidence that Brian was into MMA.

Boa constrictors are not native to Bridger-Teton NP, either. Bears do not strangle (or have opposable thumbs with which to do so). We don't know the full details of the report, but it's possible, even likely, that there was damage to the cervical vertebrae from the other fingers.

Biological anthropologists have written quite a few articles about adrenalin and hands (if people go into the "fight" mode of flight or fight, the adrenalin and the nerves in the hand and wrists are highly activated). In anger management and behavioral therapy for people who violently act out, learning to keep the hands relaxed and to step away (flight, not fight) are key ingredients. Many people in anger management classes say that their hands took on a life of their own and "just did" what they did, they don't remember any conscious decision to hit/slap their partner or their child. Therapy focuses on mindfulness, deep breathing, hand relaxation, posture relaxation, amidst various stressful stimuli. Such people are often told to avoid all triggers (if social anxiety is an issue, then either get medication to treat it, or avoid social situations as much as possible).

Rods... you ALWAYS have such factual detail to answer our questions.

Do you think there is any way he could be hidden in some institution somewhere --- in a way that the institution nor the lawyer would be breaking the law?

With utmost respect to the designer, it is very unattractive in my opinion.

I think this bench design feels cold, because it's just pure metal so far. Perhaps the final design will be better. I think a green-space with a pretty bench, flowers, maybe a fountain or bird bath, would make an ideal memorial space.

In hindsight, it seems impossible to regard Gabby as "the aggressor," but at the time, given what various witnesses had said and, more importantly, visible injuries, Brian had more injuries than Gabby. The one officer tries to get Gabby to talk about her facial injury (I am not sure she knows she had it or that it was a visible scratch). The Ranger tries to tell Gabby that her relationship is not healthy (they. can all see it). But police have to look at physical facts and listen to the admissions of the detainees. Brian had scratches, and Gabby says she made those scratches and that she initiated physical contact. In fact, she admits to two different incidents - one in Moab, and then again just as they are being pulled over - she punches him in the arm.

I am one of those who believes we can see a thumbprint bruise on the back right side of Gabby's neck when she is in the sand dunes. It's not visible when her hair is down (she was wearing a pony tail there). Might have been another version of "face shmooshing".

What I really want to know from the Laundrie parents (and never will know) is just how often Brian had meltdowns at home. Was he capable of self soothing if he could walk out to the preserve for hours or be by himself in his room? Was it generally understood that Gabby needed to stay at a friend's house when the relationship seemed to be causing meltdowns? How long had he been doing the meltdown thing? Had he ever been violent in other ways?

excellent post. Agree with all of this. Would be wonderful if someone familiar with BL would share the answers to these questions to authorities. Although I doubt anyone is. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia