Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

One question for you; what scenarios can you come up with as to why BL would actually run and parents/BL get lawyer involved if at least one of the 3 didn't know that something even slightly illegal happened in at least some way.

I think there are at least a few that I can conjure within the facts and alleged info we have available.

The thought behind my post and why I posed the question was to see if others had thoughts as well. If so, I would like to consider those, as well. Not sleuthing actual people, but theories about how others "could be" involved. Truly just curious. And MOO.

I believe BL was in control of Gabby, but what I don't understand is, why then did he up and leave her behind and fly home to Fla.? That seems very odd for someone that was controlling another person. Gabby would have been free to do whatever she wanted and wouldn't that have driven BL sheer crazy?
Interesting point, I hadn’t thought of that before. That does seem odd.

She was planning to meet up with a friend. If he thought she did that earlier than planned because of their fighting, then it might make sense. He could say she forgot her card and he discovered it during the drive home. We don't know what happened to her phone.
They were supposed to meet in Yellowstone, but that never happened. The friend says GP never called her, so she did not go to Yellowstone. So in my opinion that friend has little or nothing to do with GP's disappearance, and has never been named a person of interest by police so far. BL believing the two women might be together seems illogical when GP's body was found so close to where the van was parked. A phone call to her friend would have cleared the whole thing up, but BL did not make such a call, to our knowledge. JMOO

Until it gets too dark. You could stretch this to a couple of days - but I think the longer he hikes - the less likely it will be believeable. What we need is witnesses of him travelling to that other place (forgive me, it is really late here), being in that other place - to firm out the timeline. This alternative would i think only work if the hike was a day hike.

miranda baker, the first person who reported giving him a ride when he was hitchhiking, claimed that he said he had been camping away from his fiancee for multiple days while she was supposedly working on their SM at the van...

Woman Claims She Picked Up Brian Laundrie While He Was Hitchhiking in Wyoming in Viral TikTok Videos

I'm not really sure of this attorney's legal status here. It's been more than 3 weeks since the indictment was filed against his "client" and he (SB) has still not filed a Notice of Attorney Appearance to represent BL. There is no record at all that BL has any attorney period.

Docket for United States v. Laundrie, 0:21-cr-00113 - CourtListener.com
This is a federal case, yes? I thought I read that federal cases need to have federal lawyers? Is SB a federal lawyer? Further, is SB licensed to practice in Wyoming? If not, then a lawyer that is licensed to practice in Wyoming will need to be instructed by SB IF his client has given him authority to act in this way.

If she was with a friend, then no, I don't expect him to worry. Using her card is a gray area. If it's a shared account, then fine.
I am totally opposite I would worry, a young girl with no means for money, making the assumption she met a friend who has enough to pay for her for however long, who hasn’t even let him know she’s going off with a friend. I just can’t see it. IMO. Good to hear other theories, just hasn’t changed my mind.

I'm not seeing it.

"Laundrie appeared to have control over Petito's van because he was driving it; control over her finances because he reportedly used her credit card; and, ultimately, control over her because he "kept her isolated" by traveling to remote areas and camping"

I prefer my husband to drive. I share my credit card. I love to travel to remote areas. Trust me, I am not in any way controlled, lol!

miranda baker, the first person who reported giving him a ride when he was hitchhiking, claimed that he said he had been camping away from his fiancee for multiple days while she was supposedly working on their SM at the van...

Woman Claims She Picked Up Brian Laundrie While He Was Hitchhiking in Wyoming in Viral TikTok Videos
Does anyone else wonder if he actually rented a room somewhere those two days? I just do not see him camping out without the van. Jmo

Legally wrong, yes. But as it's been pointed out, many people do this. It's very common. I didn't even know it was illegal until I read it here. But I'm still going to share my card.
Common isn't legal though. Even if Gabby had multiple cards (duplicates etc) doesn't mean BL was authorized by the bank to use the account(s)

I am totally opposite I would worry, a young girl with no means for money, making the assumption she met a friend who has enough to pay for her for however long, who hasn’t even let him know she’s going off with a friend. I just can’t see it. IMO. Good to hear other theories, just hasn’t changed my mind.
In the end, his behavior afterwards points to guilt. An innocent person would be outspoken and fight for their innocence.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The L's have not answered the Petito's calls or texts according to the P's.
They refused LE the chance to speak to Brian after his return.
They have changed the date of his 'missing' status.
We don't know who left the car at the swamp but LE have not said definitively that it was Brian even though the Laundrie's said they left a note for him.
We don't know when the family friend/lawyer SB was contacted, but if it was before Gabby was reported missing by her mom then that could be an issue ?
Why the need for legal counsel when she could be alive and well, just went off with other travelers ?

I know there's other actions I'm missing so feel free to add and thanks.

Ita.
All they had to do was to turn Brian in for questioning after he returned with Gabby's van and having spent her credit cards.
Even now the theft is his only charge.
Fine to ensure that he had legal counsel, no problem with that.
But again if Gabby was just missing, they shouldn't have needed a lawyer ?
Unless BL told the L's something else that changed everything ?

The only victims are Gabby and the Petito family .
Who could imagine losing someone to a brutal murder ?
Imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't know how many cards or how much cash she had. We also don't know whether he came across the cards, or regularly kept them in his wallet or somewhere locked up in the van for safe keeping. I also think there's a very good chance, if not a certainty, that they commingled funds and jointly used the bank accounts during the trip. Doesn't mean his use after her death wasn't illegal, but most people don't think like that when they're in a committed couple. If he knew she was dead, that changes everything, but the hypothetical in the OP assumes that he did not. jmo
Right, absolutely true. I think we all know what happened here, hence the FBI charges, but they're using that as a means to bring him in. When 2 people are in a loving trusting relationship, often they share car keys, house keys, bank cards and so on. Some of that may not be "legal" but as long as no wrong doing takes place, it's all good. It's when things go south, the legalities come into play.

It’s really shocking to find out what can and cannot be done with debit cards when you are not the account owner - the warrant is very clear - he was not authorized and there can really be no dispute about that right? We all know now we can’t share debit cards- when you are not a joint account holder it doesn’t matter if you possess a card and the PIN - you cannot use it. Having said that - after death many married couples think they can use these when they are not joint account holders and are shocked when the bank denies them. JMO
Federal arrest warrant issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito investigation

She wasn't dead when he flew to FL. Pretty sure that can be proven by witnesses at the SLC hotel and layer on at various places including the Merry Piglets.

JMO
Given what is known about DV, BL could have still been in "control" of Gabby. He could have had rules for her to obey for example. MOO Any number of options are usable in this scenario
"Stockholm syndrome" ?

This is a federal case, yes? I thought I read that federal cases need to have federal lawyers? Is SB a federal lawyer? Further, is SB licensed to practice in Wyoming? If not, then a lawyer that is licensed to practice in Wyoming will need to be instructed by SB IF his client has given him authority to act in this way.
9-27.000 - Principles Of Federal Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member