Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom and Dad not saying anything seems wrong to the average person, but it can be explained that BL told them he needed to talk to a lawyer, the parents connected him with SB who advised both BL and his parents to say nothing to anyone, and that's what they did: followed the advice of their attorney. This doesn't have to make BL or the parents look guilty of anything, nor should it to a jury. To everyone on this forum, sure. We can have all the opinions and gut feelings in the world.

The cell phone data will be interesting. It could trip BL up in a statement he made, but - - he never made a statement which leaves a lot of wiggle room to explain whatever turns up as far as location data of where the phones were when.

If that Yosemite text to Gabby's mom was sent from Gabby's phone while BL was no where near a living Gabby, I think that's a good piece of circumstantial evidence. Same with the Stan texts. The texts would only go through when there *was* service, obviously.

So, if the phone travels out of Spread Creek at any point past the 29th, that's not good for BL, as Gabby never left. If her phone wasn't found right next to her, someone caused it to move elsewhere. And that would be true if her death was on the 27th - but the exact day of death wouldn't matter. It's the fact that she was murdered and then her body was left (while her phone was taken and used) that would matter.

Of course, there will also be pings and text and call records, IMO - lots of digital evidence in this one. Most like use of CC at gas stations, too. He didn't care - he brazenly went to an ATM or made a purchase where he could take out goods and cash totaling more than $1000 after Gabby was dead.

Expounding on your well thought out post, but what if
the search continues in the reserve, because of some 'perceived' possible planted evidence? I am not saying by whom, :rolleyes: but clearly the assistance and "help" that Mr Laundrie was able to provide last week caught my curiosity.

Then Big Yikes. Yikes. If I let my mind go that way, I can think of ALL kinds of ways that accomplices could make it look as if BL had been in the Preserve.

I wonder if on one of the search warrant visits to the Laundrie house (the one where they went in the camper) they were also looking for articles with the scent of the two parents. What if the reason ChL "cooperated" is because they said they traced a recent scent of his to that campsite area.

There would be so many false clues an accomplice could leave. What a terrible mess for LE.

I'm kind of doubting it. but something does seem to be making LE go back again and again to the preserve. Was it mostly NPPD this last time?

And the worst part is that Gabby's family may never get a chance for Justice. Let's pray it's not the case.

There are many ways it’s possible he is being helped. The parents get spotlighted a lot for that but MOO they did not have anything to do with his leaving the house. They seem law abiding to the T, making sure the run everything about this thru an attorney, and aiding and abetting BL would be a major break in the Law for them, opening them up to very serious charges.

Also, turning son into fugitive is a very dangerous thing to do. Not many can succeed long term and BL does not look like he has wherewithal to just make it on his own somewhere suddenly. The Laundries are not wealthy, nor are they experienced in this sort of thing. As for Brian….he’s not that bright and the parents likely know this.

The Laundries did the best they could to protect him from the likely serious charges BL will face when caught if still alive, and this flight is just making things much worse.

But there are people out there who might find this a thrill to hide BL. It is possible he is holed up in their place or somewhere they found. If he met someone in that Reserve parking lot, he could be anywhere. Lots of empty places to squat these days.

Exactly - this occurred to me this morning. Some people might think it's a fun idea to hide a fugitive. I think it happens every time someone is on the run!
BL would have to have a certain amount of charm to pull that off, and I think he has enough of it. He fooled Gabby, after all.

And think of all the women (maybe some men too) who fall in love with criminals, even murderers, after they are in jail and writing them love letters and even marry them IN jail!
I could see some sympathizer(s) having "fun" hiding BL for as long as he needed their help.

IMO

Apologies if this has been posted before, but can't hurt to post again: timeline from CNN
Timeline of Gabby Petito case - CNN

I need all you bright sleuthers to help me sort something out. BP's flight back home to clean out a storage unit to "save money" (but he took a flight?) *screams* premeditation to me. Was he was planning his big escape, and preparing for what he was about to do?

I am completely convinced this guy is not "well", and clearly dangerous. What is his perception of reality?

But here's my other question for you. He is stopped by Moab LE and doesn't end up in jail. A week or so later he creates some sort of ruckus in a restaurant where according to a witness, comes and goes at least four separate times shouting at staff.....yet doesn't go to jail. (BTW, i'm sure someone has given LE video of that...)

Then, we have a dead Gabby, with the same Brian as POI. These are the three incidents we KNOW of. Likely many, many others we don't know of.

So how has this BP gotten away with these very public outbursts/attacks, and not ended up in jail? How is that? I'm going to resist drawing examples of contrast, but I'm sure everyone gets my point.

HOW?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yelling about a bill in a restaurant (if that was the issue- we don't really know from the blogger) rarely gets someone arrested much less sent to jail. Those who have worked in restaurants (including me) know it happens and it's not as rare as some here seem to think it is. People who are hungry or drunk can be real jerks sometimes. It happens in good restaurants too. And restaurants won't call LE unless it's really bad. Good way to lose a liquor license to have LE called.

JMO

Right now, what’s imperative is to find BL. Different scenarios depending upon found dead or alive. Also, possible LE simply does not find him

I agree but I wonder, then, when was the first time they contacted SB with regard to this case? If they called him right after BL arrived home sans Gabby, but in her van, he may have advised them at that time not to say anything to anyone or, if BL had called them while he was on the road home, they might have called SB then. SB is tight-lipped about when he was contacted about this case, to protect them with "plausible denial", I think. jmo
I doubt the FBI is going to share the phone evidence with the public until trial. According to GP's parents all they knew is that neither GP nor BL was answering their phones. They had no idea BL was at the Laundrie home with Gabby's van but Laundrie's parents certainly knew it. There is no "plausible denial" possible. Their attorney has nothing to do with their refusal to return personal calls to GP's parents. What it will be at trial, imo, is evidence of consciousness of BL's guilt and their willingness to help their son evade LE.

jmo

@10ofRods
I don't know if someone has responded to you yet, but in an earlier post regarding suspects not taking the stand, you said you weren't familiar with the Fla case cited. However, it said "Fla vs. CMA," so I'm pretty sure it refers to Casey Anthony.
Just want to also say that I respect your knowledge. Forensic anthropology strikes me as a field that requires not only intellect, but a temperament that can handle some seriously macabre situations.
So thank you, Dr. @10ofRods !

@imstilla.grandma
My heart aches for what you've endured with your brother.
Of course I hit "like" to show support, but it feels weird. It's not like I "like" that it happened. I'm sure we all feel the same.

^^ ALL of this!

If I was on the jury, and with the evidence presented thus far, I would have a very difficult time finding him guilty of murder beyond any reasonable doubt.

We have to hope there's a LOT of evidence that hasn't been revealed to us and is being kept under wraps by LE, because as it stands, I feel the prosecution are going to have an uphill battle pinning anything on BL other than the unauthorised use of a bank card.

Then again, all it takes is a few man-haters on the jury and his fate would be sealed before the trial had even begun..

MOO

If I were on the jury for a murder charge against BL, I would have to put aside all my personal opinions and beliefs about what I think he did to GP, and look at the facts and evidence that is presented, and follow the instructions to decide based on the evidence and not on what I think happened. That's what jurors are supposed to do, right? It's what I would want jurors to do if I were charged with a crime.

There are many ways it’s possible he is being helped. The parents get spotlighted a lot for that but MOO they did not have anything to do with his leaving the house. They seem law abiding to the T, making sure the run everything about this thru an attorney, and aiding and abetting BL would be a major break in the Law for them, opening them up to very serious charges.

That's why I think it's possible they helped up until the federal warrant was issued. They wouldn't be aiding and abetting prior and their lawyer knew that.

They wouldn't be the first dissatisfied customers. Google reviews of Merry Piglets show some common themes (expensive, very small portions - but a really odd custom of offering 2 for 1 items, and then automatically adding 18% to the check - which is apparently in small print on the menu). $4 side of rice and beans gets you one small plastic cup (the kind usually used for salad dressing), one of each item.

Jackson's restaurants know they will never see most customers again - ever. And the one place in Jackson that I think locals eat is not next to the quaint town square, not touristed, has a basic coffee shop menu.

So, I can get being dissatisfied. But going in and out 4X to intensely (and apparently quietly) complain to various staff is not normal. Gabby cried and was embarrassed, so perhaps she knew this meant he was, once again, losing his temper.

This is why I don't go to touristy restaurants!
And while you're camping, trying to save money, why were they in a restaurant in the first place?!
He had no right getting angry in that restaurant because the moment you walk in the door of a place like that you KNOW their prices will be high and you're getting ripped off - at least somewhat.

I was also imagining that he got angry about a hidden charge, like some service fee or mandatory tip they tacked on the bill at the end of the meal. Surprise! I hate that too but it would never occur to me to yell at someone about it. Just write a bad review!

IMO

Of course. But hopefully their verdict is based on the evidence presented in court and not only on their personal opinions and "gut feelings." Especially if those opinions and feelings are based on whether a person (or his parents) returned phone calls or answered texts.
JMO
If BL goes on trial, I'm betting GP's parents testify and the "gut feelings" of the jury will be they are telling the truth. JMO

For what it's worth, we do have this:

Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Schultz said she saw the van on Aug. 26, when she and her Blue Heeler, Rosie, were headed to a dispersed campsite to meet with Schultz’s friends...

Schultz saw the same van again the following day as she was riding in the passenger seat of her friend’s truck. The van was in almost the exact same area — though it appeared to have pulled over to the right before backing up into a spot across the road.

“I was like, ‘Oh, that guy stayed the night,” Schultz recalled telling her friend, noting that it wasn’t a parking spot.
Good one! I vaguely remember that she said 26th. This was "airstream lady? She was the one who said he was driving really slow and she thought he was alone. She thought about talking to him, but said he looked too young to fit with her friends...and that since he was alone, she thought better of talking to him. This is my recollection. Not stated as solid fact. JMO So where was Gabby? We know she was alive because she was seen the next day at Merry Piglets.

If I were on the jury for a murder charge against BL, I would have to put aside all my personal opinions and beliefs about what I think he did to GP, and look at the facts and evidence that is presented, and follow the instructions to decide based on the evidence and not on what I think happened. That's what jurors are supposed to do, right? It's what I would want jurors to do if I were charged with a crime.

100%!

I'd hope if I was on trial for something, that the jury paid attention to the facts and evidence only. No personal opinions, no personal experiences, and no preconceived ideas.

That's what constitutes a fair jury IMO.

BL appears to be very flustered at first as he stutters and says he doesn’t “have time” to defend himself. But what struck me is how he appears more preoccupied with the conversation GP is having from the passenger window with LE. So much so, that he leans over in that direction and inquires if they are talking to “Gabrielle, my fiancé.” Interesting that he seems much more concerned with her conversation with LE than responding to the officer outside his window. Hmmmm

Apologies if this has been posted before, but can't hurt to post again: timeline from CNN
Timeline of Gabby Petito case - CNN

I need all you bright sleuthers to help me sort something out. BP's flight back home to clean out a storage unit to "save money" (but he took a flight?) *screams* premeditation to me. Was he was planning his big escape, and preparing for what he was about to do?

I am completely convinced this guy is not "well", and clearly dangerous. What is his perception of reality?

But here's my other question for you. He is stopped by Moab LE and doesn't end up in jail. A week or so later he creates some sort of ruckus in a restaurant where according to a witness, comes and goes at least four separate times shouting at staff.....yet doesn't go to jail. (BTW, i'm sure someone has given LE video of that...)

Then, we have a dead Gabby, with the same Brian as POI. These are the three incidents we KNOW of. Likely many, many others we don't know of.

So how has this BP gotten away with these very public outbursts/attacks, and not ended up in jail? How is that? I'm going to resist drawing examples of contrast, but I'm sure everyone gets my point.

HOW?

Amateur opinion and speculation

You make some very good points. I have also wondered why, after the Moab incident, they would be involved in another public ruckus, as you say. It's as if they had totally lost a sense of what was acceptable behavior. And you would think they would be very concerned about calling attention by arguing, yelling, stomping away, etc... I agree there had to have been many more incidents and any boundaries of acceptable behavior were gone. Having a number of LE surrounding you, take photos of your injuries, separate you from your partner in a strange place, almost arrested and put in jail should have made a tremendous impression on both of them. JMO

After watching the video, I'm starting to think that yes, it could be that Gabby was upset with the staff.

That would be hard to believe since Gabby didn't seem like a person who would be cruel or mean or judgmental to restaurant workers at all. She had been one herself at a younger age.

I think the "eyewitness" story is suspect in all kinds of ways. I don't believe at least half of it and I don't trust her timeline of it. IMO
I think that was all BL being upset.

^^ ALL of this!

If I was on the jury, and with the evidence presented thus far, I would have a very difficult time finding him guilty of murder beyond any reasonable doubt.

We have to hope there's a LOT of evidence that hasn't been revealed to us and is being kept under wraps by LE, because as it stands, I feel the prosecution are going to have an uphill battle pinning anything on BL other than the unauthorised use of a bank card.

Then again, all it takes is a few man-haters on the jury and his fate would be sealed before the trial had even begun..

MOO

I believe there has to be a unanimous verdict or it’s a hung jury and possible retrial. It’s happened.

We don’t know what witnesses, evidence, a lot of things LE has on this case. There may be a lot more than we’ve seen

If that Yosemite text to Gabby's mom was sent from Gabby's phone while BL was no where near a living Gabby, I think that's a good piece of circumstantial evidence. Same with the Stan texts. The texts would only go through when there *was* service, obviously.

So, if the phone travels out of Spread Creek at any point past the 29th, that's not good for BL, as Gabby never left. If her phone wasn't found right next to her, someone caused it to move elsewhere. And that would be true if her death was on the 27th - but the exact day of death wouldn't matter. It's the fact that she was murdered and then her body was left (while her phone was taken and used) that would matter.

Of course, there will also be pings and text and call records, IMO - lots of digital evidence in this one. Most like use of CC at gas stations, too. He didn't care - he brazenly went to an ATM or made a purchase where he could take out goods and cash totaling more than $1000 after Gabby was dead.

Then Big Yikes. Yikes. If I let my mind go that way, I can think of ALL kinds of ways that accomplices could make it look as if BL had been in the Preserve.

I wonder if on one of the search warrant visits to the Laundrie house (the one where they went in the camper) they were also looking for articles with the scent of the two parents. What if the reason ChL "cooperated" is because they said they traced a recent scent of his to that campsite area.

There would be so many false clues an accomplice could leave. What a terrible mess for LE.

I'm kind of doubting it. but something does seem to be making LE go back again and again to the preserve. Was it mostly NPPD this last time?

And the worst part is that Gabby's family may never get a chance for Justice. Let's pray it's not the case.

It will be interesting to see what the FBI can determine regarding GP's phone and where it was used and if it can circumstantially fit BL's location(s), or even better, if he did something such as use the phone to text/call his parents from a gas station while he buying gas with the debit card and was on video at the gas station.

Just getting here from yesterday, and I just saw this.
Please forgive if a repeat. It's a nice article along with lots of pictures

Gabby's mom & dad were taking their sweet daughter's remains home in an urn.

They also visited some areas where Gabby and what's-his-name had been.

EXCLUSIVE: Gabby's going home: Grieving parents of murdered Gabby Petito are seen leaving the Jackson, Wyoming mortuary with the box holding their precious daughter's ashes six weeks after she was abandoned by fugitive Brian Laundrie

• Gabby Petito's father Joseph was seen leaving the Valley Mortuary in Jackson, Wyoming, on Saturday morning clutching the white box containing the ashes of the 22-year-old van life blogger
[...]
Mom Nichole appeared visibly upset as they left the funeral home, while black-clad father Joe held the white box containing Petito’s body to his chest.

The remains of blonde Petito will now be taken home to Long Island, New York, for burial.
[...]
Blue added that DNA samples had been taken by law enforcement as the investigation into her murder and who was responsible continues.

Authorities have not named a suspect in her murder but it is possible they may already have named one behind closed doors, a former FBI agent told WPBF 25.

'That piece of information, I would bet, has gone into grand jury - there is now a sealed indictment for the apprehension for the person who is responsible for the death of Gabby Petito,' former FBI agent Stuart Kaplan said.

More here:
Gabby Petito's parents are seen collecting her remains in Wyoming three weeks after body was found | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member