Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying that she wasn't a DV victim. She probably was and should have gotten out of that relationship before the violence escalated as it apparently did. [allegedly]

Again, I'm not saying that she wasn't a victim of DV or other type of abuse in that relationship, but I guess when I think of women who are in DV situations, they don't usually punch the man's arm when he's driving or grab the steering wheel or climb over him into a van because they would be afraid of being seriously hurt by the man. DV victims, in my mind walk on eggshells, to try to keep the man calm, and try not to do anything to set the man off. I haven't experienced DV myself, so I'm probably influenced by what I've seen in movies, and DV may have a spectrum that I'm unaware of. I just don't think of DV victims as being aggressive towards the abuser and getting into slap fights with him. I think of them as living in fear and constantly trying to please the man.
She did not grab the steering wheel. That was one of his lies. It was so obvious a lie that the officer asked him if she also put her foot on the gas.
With respect real life is not what is portrayed in movies. In the early threads of this we had a female police officer who had rank but she was a victim of domestic violence and coercive control. And someone else has given the example of Tina Turner. A strong, famous woman who was a victim of DV.

Since she was murdered in WY and the grand jury would be convened there, would the Laundrie crew go to WY or would it be zoomed?

Who is the Laundrie crew, please? Two parents and a sister?

The answer would be up to the jurisdiction, which right now, I am pretty sure is The State of Wyoming - but perhaps one of our attorneys can weigh on in Wyoming and its NP vs NF jurisdictional issues.

I think the defense would be delighted to show evidence that police found him to be the victim of a domestic assault. It would set the stage for a possible self defense claim, or a claim that he had been battered for so long he just snapped.

(I DO NOT think this is true, I am just thinking like a defense attorney
If Brian tries to claim self-defense, wouldn’t that contradict whatever story he told Cassie when she learned that he arrived home without Gabby? Because she said she was surprised to see her brother stop by her house on Sept. 1, I’m certain she also asked him where Gabby was and why their cross country trip cut abruptly short.

So. you think federal charges would be filed if permission was granted?

There is, in that case, no crime so far. No reason to look for BL.

I was originally replying to someone who asked about police looking into GPs card usage to track her last known location while she was still a missing person. I was not talking about the bank fraud charge.

If they have repeatedly frightened you to the point of "Flight or Fight" panic attacks you will panic and hit at their arms, whatever, because some men will terrifie you with dangerous driving. Jmo

I don't doubt that. But why would GP try to go on months-long cross-country trips with BL in that case? If he was pushing for it, maybe. But it sounds like it was mostly her idea. And her parents provided the car for Trip #1. But his driving terrified her? I am not victim-blaming but I've never heard it said she was generally afraid of his driving, if that's what you are saying.
JMO

The idea of sleeping alone in a van in a national park would terrify me. I almost wonder if she went to a hotel herself. Although BL told LE that money was tight, it wasn't tight enough to prevent her from spending a week in a hotel in SLC.

And it wasn't that flippin' tight -- there was enuff for BL to have about $1000+ when he hit the road after Gabby was lying dead in the dirt. Grrrrr.

It is absolutely not the black ladder. The ladder is way off to the right. This black line is near the center. It is also not a tree because all the trees are off to the side. The door absolutely was ajar and somebody shuts it as they approach.
I really think that the people who cannot see the door closing are not looking at the correct vid.

I think you're right. They are more social. Like some folks who like to stay in bed and breakfasts, for that reason. Still bizarre she thought the van was abandoned. Did she expect to see them both sitting in the cab, waving? LOL!
Actually, yes. People who frequent campgrounds often wave when someone goes by. And the Bethunes might have wanted that spot; they might have discussed it with each other, thinking if the van was deserted, they could have a piece of it. At any rate, there are reasons why they may have taken in more features than you might expect.

I don't doubt that. But why would GP try to go on months-long cross-country trips with BL in that case? If he was pushing for it, maybe. But it sounds like it was mostly her idea. And her parents provided the car for Trip #1. But his driving terrified her? I am not victim-blaming but I've never heard it said she was generally afraid of his driving, if that's what you are saying.
JMO
No, not generally afraid of his driving. Afraid of his driving when he is in a state of rage.

For the record, if at any point BL did leave GP alone at camp, I think she was fully capable of handling it. She might not have liked it, especially if they were fighting and he temporarily abandoned her, but I don't think she would react by going around looking for help. Personally, I suspect he left her alone at camp other times while he went off and hiked. Taking her phone, her keys, all known behavior. There is at least one sighting of him alone in the van, and others unconfirmed. They were young and confined during this trip. Breaks from each other seem inevitable, maybe even welcomed. Jmo.

Last edited:
She did not grab the steering wheel. That was one of his lies. It was so obvious a lie that the officer asked him if she also put her foot on the gas.
With respect real life is not what is portrayed in movies. In the early threads of this we had a female police officer who had rank but she was a victim of domestic violence and coercive control. And someone else has given the example of Tina Turner. A strong, famous woman who was a victim of DV.
BBM
I forgot about this.
Powerful point!

If you did that you would be failing to recognise the meaning or pattern of PTSD or Stockholm Syndrome that was demonstrated at the Moab stop.

This isn't new and newer journals are available easily on google search
The Relationship Between Stockholm Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Battered Women

'Cos at the end of the day it's the elephant in the room.
A girl is disintegrating before our very eyes, eroded completely, weakened beyond belief, she was only fit for sleep and lots of it.

A child experiencing a pyrexia may shiver and demand more blankets while sporting a temperature of 105F...

You need to know and understand what you are seeing, what she or the child are showing you, not telling.
It's easy if you've been there to read it.
But we've discussed it to death and it's still being omitted from conversations.

It is IMPERATIVE that the entire syndrome is understood by professionals, and not from a list, or vry many more women will die.

Or it could not be that at all. jmo

IANAL but I don't think police can immediately get access to a missing adult's bank account. I think it would have to wait until they had more evidence of a possible crime. If an adult has just voluntarily disappeared, that is their right and the police can't immediately pry into their personal accounts. JMO
There is no evidence GP voluntarily disappeared which is why the NY LE immediately reacted to NS report. GP's van was in Florida and she wasn't with it. JMO

oh, I think something happened. But, was that the reason for the last argument? Not sure. I am thinking now maybe it was jealousy and Gabby's plans to call Rose on her birthday to make plans to meet up in Yellowstone. The 29th of August. The day I think Gabby might have gotten killed.

In the affidavit and application for the search warrant on the Laundries home, it is stated that G and her mom talked a lot during the trip and sent multiple text messages. It goes on to say that during these conversations, there appeared to be more and more tension between B and G.

Sounds like maybe between his anxiety and growing tension, he may have just snapped.

I'm not saying that she wasn't a DV victim. She probably was and should have gotten out of that relationship before the violence escalated as it apparently did. [allegedly]

Again, I'm not saying that she wasn't a victim of DV or other type of abuse in that relationship, but I guess when I think of women who are in DV situations, they don't usually punch the man's arm when he's driving or grab the steering wheel or climb over him into a van because they would be afraid of being seriously hurt by the man. DV victims, in my mind walk on eggshells, to try to keep the man calm, and try not to do anything to set the man off. I haven't experienced DV myself, so I'm probably influenced by what I've seen in movies, and DV may have a spectrum that I'm unaware of. I just don't think of DV victims as being aggressive towards the abuser and getting into slap fights with him. I think of them as living in fear and constantly trying to please the man.

And this is why I dont think this is a text book case. Seems there was some kind of pattern here that both of them did not think was dangerous but was very unhealthy. They were wrong.

IMO if we are to learn anything from this, we need to look at the the whole dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay