Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea Im tiring of the tabloid aspect of this, just because the Daily or US Mail reports something it just means they think it will get clicks and sell papers. That said funny Rose didn't mention condo beforehand? was she told not to by the FBI? obviously, everybody paying attention to the case thought they lived with the Laundries.
Laundrie family isn't talking, and Cassie is clammed up, too. I don't find it difficult to believe that only a few people knew where B&G lived and the only friend that Gabby apparently had in Florida was Rose, who is more than happy to spill the secrets. I have seen no indication that B&G had couples that they hung around with, or individual friends except Rose. So, we only hear stuff from Rose's perspective, but I don't think that it's untrue. Gabby's family probably knew that she and Brian lived in the condo for some period of time that we don't know, but that fact may have no bearing on what happened on their trip and not relevant to the case, so no ones business. jmo

I'm not sure.
I know nothing about walking. I find it to be a pointless exercise unless it's taking me from A to B. But a lot of people do enjoy it so it must have some advantages.
Maybe he needed to stamp out his angst/rage or whatever emotion was dominant and needed to move from the mental to the physical.
Possibly would have been easier to dump evidence or hide weapons, if he had any... just speculating.
I've gone from imagining him as a crazed psychopath running in glee to somebody deeply disturbed, perhaps even remorseful to, more recently somebody who is quite intelligent and thinks like a fox, clever and fast.

A fox would have had it organised very well for himself. She may have been found before he expected her to be found but it wouldn't necessarily have impinged upon his plan.

It looked to me like BL had a pattern of going off for solo walks when he needed to think. Hiking away from the murder would fit with that emotional need. I don't want to project my own behavior and needs onto other people too much, but I'd be likely to do the same thing. The physical action helps relieve the anger and stress, as you say, and being out in nature also soothes many people no matter what they're doing. After I calm down, then rational thought starts to return.

I think his reported behavior in GTNP fits that pattern. Hiked and stayed out overnight, figured out his plan and the story he was going to tell, hitched a ride back to the van--if he strangled her, there might not have been anything to clean up--and headed home. When he got there, maybe he said something along the lines of, "She left me. Just ran away while I was out hiking. She left me a note that the people in the next camping space over were giving her a ride to Jackson airport. Didn't even clean up the campsite."

And then when he gets home and realizes that's not going to fly, he goes out for another walk/camping in a place he's familiar with.

After that, I'm not so sure what he decided to do. I don't think he's a psychopath but he could be both clever and remorseful.

As a snowbird-in-waiting, I can testify that this is absolutely true. And for many of my compatriots, the "dated" decor is actually appealing. It's comfortable and familiar because it's what we grew up with.

I can totally see why they wouldn't have redecorated as long as it was clean and in good shape.

We're in the process of buying a home in a snowbird location (not Florida, and it won't be a rental.) The L's condo looks like every home we looked at, all of which were winter rentals for sale, furnished. I just could not get past decor that looked like the owners took everything they were tired of in their northern home and shifted it into their southern house. Dated mismatched decor is everywhere, totally unsurprising.

Spoiler: We ended up finding a home owned by a single man who lives there year-round and he had updated the house with a decorator.

Rose is an interesting character, for sure...but if we look through Gabby's social media accounts, it is clear she had other friends in her life. (Takes some poking around)

Most have made their accounts private now, maybe the FBI has requested that or maybe it was chosen for other reasons. And heck, maybe social media isn't a good reflection of having friends, at all, and it just appears that way to me. MOO.

From personal experience with that general age group, sm is an indication of direct and indirect acquaintances, at best. Private or "secret" accounts are better. I know it used to be finsta, but that has probably changed in the past couple of years.

Yes, I totally agree. It definitely changes a relationship. It changes the dynamic, imho.
I have felt that BL wanted Gabby all to himself and to isolate her. As they traveled on with time and the isolation of the places they visited, he became unwilling or unable to control his violent tendencies with her. The more he chipped away at her self esteem and made her more dependent on him, the more empowered and abusive he became, IMHO.
If at this point she stood up for herself in any way, he would become very enraged because he thought he had her under his control. I think the police getting involved changed the entire narrative. IT may have also been the loss of the condo.
But he felt, imo, somehow he was losing control over her.
The most dangerous time is when you try to leave. Jmo

Up until the Moab stop this 'van life' seemed unreal to me. Like taking a picture/snap of a family and a moment later they are all shot dead by the picture taker.

To me van life is a lonely life, and very isolating at least in this case. I know Gabby didn't get to post a lot of the content, but to me it's just a snapshot of not being real, of course it's only in hindsight. But on the whole I don't believe 99.9999% of this entire sm concept as being something sustainable in the long term.

jmo

Moving away from florid bedspreads and kitsch condo decor:

I posted this article linked from The New Yorker in thread #67, describing US Marshals breaking through the door of the BL look-alike in North Carolina. The look-alike was hiking the AT, and took lodging for the night, where he reports –

“...“Next thing I see is a bunch of guys with riot shields with ‘U.S. Marshals’ written on them,” Beckwith said. “Handguns pointed at my face...”

Some of us have wondered about the resources, time and expense of the prolonged search in the Carlton Reserve, and the possible reason/s for it.

Perhaps this article verifies LE do consider, or even believe BL is alive, and that they do follow up on reported sightings of him.

It’s encouraging, IMO, to note authorities follow up on leads received as far from Florida as North Carolina.

Bounty Hunting for Brian Laundrie in a Land of Look-Alikes
NC is in my top three locations for Brian’s sabbatical. I look to real estate as my #1.

Judging by the state of the van at the Moab stop, no one was sleeping in that van.
van-life-00.jpg

Inside Brian Laundrie's bedroom as Gabby Petito's homicide confirmed
Forgive me for quoting my own post, but I have always found this photo so disturbing and haunting. What started with such order, such tidiness, such promise and pride devolved into utter chaos. Just like the relationship did on that trip.

It's horrifying that things went so utterly wrong.

We're in the process of buying a home in a snowbird location (not Florida, and it won't be a rental.) The L's condo looks like every home we looked at, all of which were winter rentals for sale, furnished. I just could not get past decor that looked like the owners took everything they were tired of in their northern home and shifted it into their southern house. Dated mismatched decor is everywhere, totally unsurprising.

Spoiler: We ended up finding a home owned by a single man who lives there year-round and he had updated the house with a decorator.

bolded by me. I bet in most cases, this is exactly what happens.

I'm glad you found a home that's good for you. We're still in the early stages of research. We're trying out a two-week rental to start with. Probably won't buy until we get so old the travel is more than we want to put up with. And you're right, at least 80% of the places I've looked at look just the same.

Basically, nothing about that listing surprises me.

Laundrie family isn't talking, and Cassie is clammed up, too. I don't find it difficult to believe that only a few people knew where B&G lived and the only friend that Gabby apparently had in Florida was Rose, who is more than happy to spill the secrets. I have seen no indication that B&G had couples that they hung around with, or individual friends except Rose. So, we only hear stuff from Rose's perspective, but I don't think that it's untrue. Gabby's family probably knew that she and Brian lived in the condo for some period of time that we don't know, but that fact may have no bearing on what happened on their trip and not relevant to the case, so no ones business. jmo
It could be as simple as the condo was a seasonal rental and GP and BL were allowed to stay there sometimes when it was vacant. And that is where Gabby and BL entertained Rose occasionally. jmo

Probably this is already been discussed in a fast moving thread that I missed, but this got me thinking about a possible bike and the pictures of a bike inside the condo.

Actually, now that I think more about this…Wasn’t the park just a few miles from his home? Would it have made sense to bike there or are the roads too busy?

Are there pictures of BL biking with his mom? Can we compare that bike to the picture of the bike in the condo?

Forgive me for quoting my own post, but I have always found this photo so disturbing and haunting. What started with such order, such tidiness, such promise and pride devolved into utter chaos. Just like the relationship did on that trip.

Indifference to Gabby is what I see. He really didn’t care one way or the other by that point, just along for the ride like many other hitchhikers.

It could be as simple as the condo was a seasonal rental and GP and BL were allowed to stay there sometimes when it was vacant. And that is where Gabby and BL entertained Rose occasionally. jmo

Several other people have already pointed out that this would explain the hurried trip back to Florida. If they rented/sold the place they were living in, they might well have had to hurry back to get the rest of their stuff out of it right away.

It looked to me like BL had a pattern of going off for solo walks when he needed to think. Hiking away from the murder would fit with that emotional need. I don't want to project my own behavior and needs onto other people too much, but I'd be likely to do the same thing. The physical action helps relieve the anger and stress, as you say, and being out in nature also soothes many people no matter what they're doing. After I calm down, then rational thought starts to return.

I think his reported behavior in GTNP fits that pattern. Hiked and stayed out overnight, figured out his plan and the story he was going to tell, hitched a ride back to the van--if he strangled her, there might not have been anything to clean up--and headed home. When he got there, maybe he said something along the lines of, "She left me. Just ran away while I was out hiking. She left me a note that the people in the next camping space over were giving her a ride to Jackson airport. Didn't even clean up the campsite."

And then when he gets home and realizes that's not going to fly, he goes out for another walk/camping in a place he's familiar with.

After that, I'm not so sure what he decided to do. I don't think he's a psychopath but he could be both clever and remorseful.
Are you suggesting that after his hike, when rational thoughts returned, he went back and strangled her??? I think he's dumb and thoughtless, lol, but Just MY Opinion

I have no idea if GP and BL ever lived in the condo (I agree the furnishings don’t fit). It looks either staged for sale or with the amount of decorative clutter and toiletries it is the then current occupants items.

However the listing does include this little item:

Exterior and Lot Features
  • Balcony
  • Rain Gutters
  • Storage
  • Road Surface Type: Asphalt.

• Maybe they had plans to live there and had stored some items in the condo storage. When condo sold in July the new owner wanted that space cleared out

The sale of the condo in July would explain the urgency for BL to fly home in August to empty out the storage there. Usually, when a home/condo/etc. goes under contract, the old owner has 6 weeks to get their stuff out of the property before the contract is closed and the property is turned over to the new owners.

I had wondered about the story because if it was a regular storage company, you are required to give them around 2-4 weeks notice of when you are going to move your stuff out and turn the storage space back into the storage company. So it would not have been a rush for BL to clean it out. But if the storage were at a condo that his parents owned and the condo sold, the timing makes perfect sense.

Up until the Moab stop this 'van life' seemed unreal to me. Like taking a picture/snap of a family and a moment later they are all shot dead by the picture taker.

To me van life is a lonely life, and very isolating at least in this case. I know Gabby didn't get to post a lot of the content, but to me it's just a snapshot of not being real, of course it's only in hindsight. But on the whole I don't believe 99.9999% of this entire sm concept as being something sustainable in the long term.

jmo
I have a van and friends who live in their van permanently, they love it, although the single ones do get lonely from time to time, they wouldn’t change it. Me and my husband are moving into ours next year, it’s basically a house on wheels, sink, fridge, shower, toilet, queen sized bed, log burner etc. It’s not for everyone but it is sustainable. IMO

Judging by the state of the van at the Moab stop, no one was sleeping in that van.
van-life-00.jpg

Inside Brian Laundrie's bedroom as Gabby Petito's homicide confirmed

It's not that bad. We travel with a smaller vehicle and two dogs. The legs on the bed look to me to be the time that pull out, making the bed the right length for them. You just take all the skateboard/longboard stuff and throw it up in the front of the van in bear country, pull the bed extender out and voilà! you're ready to sleep. Wouldn't take more than 5 minutes for one person to move that stuff, IMO.

We went to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in that mid-sized SUV and arrived at Colter Bay at midnight. DH simply grabbed an extra duffle, crammed unneeded stuff in it and put it atop the SUV, the rest went in the front of the thing and when that wasn't room enough (we had a *lot* of stuff and no pull out bed), he threw up our little tent and put all the clothing and non-edible stuff (guitar, etc) in there. It's bear country, so we put all food in the bear box. We did not feel comfortable sleeping near the lake in grizzly country - and in fact, a man was attacked at the edge of the campground nearest the lake while we were there.

Cozy, not the most comfortable scenario but Gabby's van looks like it would be roomy enough and easy enough to deploy - with a bear box (which they didn't have at their non-campsite at Spread Creek - so presumably, they used their tent...if they got that far into setting up).

Last edited:
In another thread it was said the V stood for Vanlife

In the Moab body cam video BL said Gabby might be upset at him because he was 'moving' her or their food. If he were angry I'd imagine moving the food could have consisted of tossing it around in a rage. That could have contributed to the mess shown in the photos/video.

MOO

Yes, those pics make me feel so sorry for Gabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela