Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE has devices to monitor burner phone use at a location...
Are they able to monitor burner phone use if the parents use one while driving or somewhere where lots of people are using phones in a public place? I imagine in the public place scenario they could, with some work, figure out which phones were registered to people and which were not, and then maybe get a warrant for the non-registered phones and see what devices those phones called.

@cady I'm so sorry I replied to @10ofRods last night in response to his reference to felony murder. It has completely gone off the rails and I didn't intend for so much confusion to result. As I said last night BL, if he is charged, will most likely be charged with some degree of murder. MOO Murder is a felony. MOO

IMO, I think everyone should completely ignore any "Felony-Murder" discussions (this is the goal I was trying to achieve last night but it didn't work). IMO, the felony-murder rule is wholly inapplicable to this case and only serves to cause confusion and veer the thread off track. MOO If it ever "does" become applicable, then that's a different situation. I hope this makes sense.

With us here without all the known facts and evidence none of us would know this falls under the felony murder rule. We just don't know. jmo

BL could have fought with Gabby, telling her he was going to take her van, her debit card, and any cash she had available. All of this if proven would fall under the felony murder rule, if it's true and can be proven in a court of law. jmo This is just an example of how that would/could apply in this case.

I've no idea as to whether RL & GP had a good or confiding relationship during the months that RL lived at Wabasso but am struggling with how that conversation might go

'Hi Roberta, we've just been stopped by the MOAB LE and LE are saying that I'll get a citation for domestic assault against your son Brian.....they're going to separate us for the night and ...... '

anyone fill in the rest ... how you think that convo might play out
( at this point in the MOAB sequence, the officers are still gonna charge GP as officer robbins hasn't called his supervisor yet)

I am going on HUGE limb.....Gabby called Stan, whoever that is/was. And Stan was the voice mails. But, I realize this explanation is more like material for a mystery novel, but who was she calling when she was so upset and crying???

Can someone post again the exact the Stan text please? "Please tell Stan I am getting his voice mails"?? And the date?

But just because she told the LEO that she was calling a parent doesn't mean she actually did.

She could've easily pretended to be on the phone to someone if she was upset and worried about the prospect of calling her mum and dad and telling them her and Brian had been pulled over by the police.

MOO
I agree. In the event they did allow her and BL to continue on, her safest choice was to have not called anyone. (Pretended to)
She knew BL was going to ask for the phone back and interrogate her about what was said to whom.
MOO

But just because she told the LEO that she was calling a parent doesn't mean she actually did.

She could've easily pretended to be on the phone to someone if she was upset and worried about the prospect of calling her mum and dad and telling them her and Brian had been pulled over by the police.

MOO
And luckily LE will know exactly who she called, if she did call anyone, since they most certainly already have her phone records.

I've no idea as to whether RL & GP had a good or confiding relationship during the months that RL lived at Wabasso but am struggling with how that conversation might go

'Hi Roberta, we've just been stopped by the MOAB LE and LE are saying that I'll get a citation for domestic assault against your son Brian.....they're going to separate us for the night and ...... '

anyone fill in the rest ... how you think that convo might play out
( at this point in the MOAB sequence, the officers are still gonna charge GP as officer robbins hasn't called his supervisor yet)
She'd likely say "police think _________ " and that they were being separated and if BL called mom, would mom please call her to let her know what's up.
MOO
Who knows!?

Indeed. Good call!

If the Laundries were communicating with SB via email or telephone from their home, could LE monitor that?

I assume that there is some kind of law or legislation in place that would allow a conversation with a lawyer to be private and confidential?

If so, maybe they're taking advantage of that?

Additionally, could there ever be a scenario whereby LE monitor SB's communication, or again, would he be protected with him being a lawyer under client/lawyer confidentiality?

Apologies if these are stupid questions, I don't know how the law would work in a scenario like this.

MOO
If LE gets a court order to wiretap, they can monitor all of the Laundries' calls/emails/texts, imo.
I think aiding and abetting a fugitive is illegal even for attorneys.

JMO

I am going on HUGE limb.....Gabby called Stan, whoever that is/was. And Stan was the voice mails. But, I realize this explanation is more like material for a mystery novel, but who was she calling when she was so upset and crying???

Can someone post again the exact the Stan text please? "Please tell Stan I am getting his voice mails"?? And the date?

Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls

I'm starting to really think it was RL that she called during the stop. I think that the Ls knew more about the current state of their relationship since they lived there, and the Ls would have more insight into any potential issues BL may have. Add in Cassie's comment about 'this is what he does when he...'

I think GP called RL for advice and that is what got the ball rolling on BLs flight back to Florida.

MOO

You might be onto something here. What a twist if it turns out it was RL that she phoned..

Nothing wrong with going out on a limb.
I'm now wondering if , as the next best option ( if she was scared of telling her mum) could she have called her brother ( Am just looking at the first press conference & Nicole explaining how close G was to her 18yr old brother)

Stan is the name of Gabby's grandfather. The text was unusual because Gabby was not in the habit of calling her grandfather by his given name.
ETA link
‘Odd text’ from Gabby Petito’s phone was first sign something was wrong, mother told investigators

Does anyone know what has happened to GP’s van? If it’s already been processed for evidence do they release it or do they keep it for a potential trial? Could this mean there is evidence in the van, if they’re keeping hold of it? If no crime was committed in it would they need to keep it? Just some questions I have tonight. JMO

In the Casey Anthony case, even though the Pontiac Sunfire allegedly contained evidence, it was eventually returned to George and Cindy Anthony and, although the Anthony's had many offers to buy the Pontiac Sunfire, the Anthony's decided to have it crushed at a salvage yard. So, eventually Gabby's van, regardless of if it contained evidence or not, will be returned to the owner(s) who would be Gabby's parents in this case, unless Gabby had a will that stated otherwise. Casey Anthony's murder trial concluded with her Acquittal on all felony charges and conviction on all misdemeanor charges on July 15, 2011 and she was released on July 17, 2011. The Pontiac Sunfire was returned to the Anthony's and was destroyed on Aug. 19, 2011.

If LE gets a court order to wiretap, they can monitor all of the Laundries' calls/emails/texts, imo.

JMO
I doubt they are very concerned about any legal entanglements they may be incurring. They seem to be, at least on the surface, calm and resolute.

BTW, This is simply speculation on my part, but contrast BL's parents re their son's absence with GP’s folks who were distraught when she was missing. If BL’s parents suspected he was in jeopardy, or possibly deceased, there would be more expression of concern from them.

27th, and I see someone's replied to the exact wording of the text.

I've always wondered if it could've been a simple case of: Brian is using Gabby's phone. Gabby is busy so asks Brian to send her mum a text asking for her to help her grandad with the voicemails.

That was the Aug. 27th text included in the search warrant. I don't have anything to offer about the text messages other I do not believe either of them were sent from Spread Creek campground. T-Mobile does not appear to have signal there.

Edit: Added link
[URL="https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/wy-gabrielle-%E2%80%98gabby%E2%80%99-petito-22-grand-teton-national-park-25-aug-2021-68.595642/page-23#post-17200857"]WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #68[/URL]

JMO
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with this one. Can you imagine the evidence from the wiretaps say, on OJ, Casey Anthony, Scott Peterson, etc. They would have had to come up with a secret language to speak with their attorneys - or in person and not over the phone ever - if this were allowable.

Are they able to monitor burner phone use if the parents use one while driving or somewhere where lots of people are using phones in a public place? I imagine in the public place scenario they could, with some work, figure out which phones were registered to people and which were not, and then maybe get a warrant for the non-registered phones and see what devices those phones called.
The use of a 'stingray' device (cell phone tower simulator) is what LE can use, these gather cell phone data from phones in the area. If the Laundries powered on the phone in their house while this was in use LE could capture that phones identifying info and use it to track outside of the home.

Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls

This was the text send to Gabby's mom right? I guess that knocks out my theory....wait unless like I first thought. Someone called Stan might have been calling Gabby. Then Brian saw the messages, knew Gabby's grandfather was named Stan, so he sent the text to Gabby's mom to let Stan know someone else was calling Gabby not Stan.....

Why text Gabby's mom, and not call Stan's number directly to let him know Gabby was getting his calls and voice mails?

The voice mail could have gone like this:

HI. Stan. Call me.

As in [this is Stan] call me.

But, Brian thought it was a call to Stan, not from Stan. And if Brian was over possessive it could have come from blocked number or someone using the name Stan.

If this is right, why hasnt Stan come forward?

Firstly, thanks to you and the others who all pointed out to me that Rose has more or less "X-ed" herself out of contention with regards to being Gabby's phone call.

Maybe the FBI have also requested that Nicole S. not talk about the call she had with Gabby. She'd need a lot more tact than I possess to keep from throwing it at the Laundries; but it's possible, no?

Conversely if Gabby called Roberta Laundrie that would make sense to me.

Lastly, we're also assuming that the police officers hovered around Gabby as she made this phone call, instead of tactfully standing offsides. For all we know, Gabby called the automatic Greenwich Mean Time number or similar and pretended to talk to someone.

If she called RL, maybe RL arranged for BL to fly home...for whatever reason. Others have said that on the bodycam, BL says he was on medication of some kind. It could be the RL had him fly home to get his meds checked, if he was on medication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member