Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be morbid,but would someone in the family have to confirm identity of Gabby's remains? Maybe Jim did that when he was out west? Dear God, I can't even imagine how this is handled in cases like this.

Guys, I'm thinking about this case so often, just like many of you. This is staying in my head and heart just like it did - and still does - with Shanann.
My thoughts only.
I believe he confirmed an article of clothing was hers. It was her favorite sweatshirt IIRC. So sad.

yeah, there is a lot of useful information you can garner even if you can't use it in court. But I still don't know if you can legally wiretap and attorneys call with his client.

I don't know either but I think it would be unlikely LE could easily get a warrant to monitor SB's communication given his occupation. And the Laundries aren't his only clients. They may be his only clients currently entangled in the criminal justice system but even his real estate clients would be accorded privileged communication. So I think there would be a very high bar to get a warrant for SB. It can't just be he's the lawyer for ONE guy we want to catch, I wouldn't think
JMO

Brian told Moab police that their goal was to become WWOOFers. I wonder if that is what he is actually doing now?

"It is your responsibility to contact hosts and make arrangements for a WWOOF visit. Please be prepared to contribute four to six hours of organic farming and gardening a day, while receiving meals, accommodations, and a rewarding and educational experience."

There are plenty of the people who live on farms and don't spend much time, if any, watching the news.

There are 1560 host farms in the USA. Look at all the farm with immediate opportunities:
Find a Host | WWOOF USA

He was going to do it in Washington and Oregon, but there are tons of farms all over the US where they would provide accommodations and food in exchange for work and typically the young people that do this move from farm to farm. What better way to stay off the radar and have all your needs met? I certainly hope the FBI is checking WWOOFing Farms!

That's a very good point! I know someone who did that to stay off radar because he was also illegally collecting SSDI.

Those first two were 4 minutes apart. The second one looked like she might have been waiting for an answer and then when LE opened the door she lowered the phone and looked at it and possibly hung up. Its hard to tell if she actually touched it with her left thumb or not. She may not have actually got in contact with anyone and didn't want to just leave a very emotion filled message. Its possible she was trying numbers until someone answered. Which could mean everyone is right. She had her phone and called her mom. Mom didn't answer so people who say her mom didn't know about the stop could be right as well.
She may have been DM'ing folks too. Again, this my own lens with teens and 20 somethings in my house. It is a pretty regular thing. Besides video messaging or crazy long voice recordings, "texting" (thru private messaging) over an insane variety of apps is normal, very secretive and easy to do. We would have ZERO insight into this. MOO!

Thank you I wasn’t aware of much of that case I’ve looked into after hearing about it on WS, do you know when it was returned to them? I know you said it was destroyed on the 19th I’m just curious if they received it back before the court case. I also assumed it would go to GP’s family, generally at that age your next of kin is your parents. Would/could it go to BL if he was down as her next of kin? Because they lived together I wonder if he actually was next of kin. All MOO

No, the car was in the hands of LE during the trial as there was a lot of speculation that the jury was going to have to smell the trunk for themselves. However, the judge ruled against that in June. The evidence was kept until the trial concluded and shortly. afterwards, the Pontiac Sunfire was returned to George and Cindy Anthony who owned the vehicle and they arranged for it to be destroyed.

As far as Gabby's van goes, it may or may not contain evidence - we don't know yet. So...if it doesn't, it will be returned to her parents unless she had a will saying where it should go. If it did contain evidence, I would expect LE to keep it until there is a trial and then be given to her parents after the trial is over whenever that may be.

I am thinking this too... I think i read there was another Stan in business with the family. Weird, though, that she would be getting his VMs? did they share phone numbers or something? very curious

I understood it in the simplest possible way. Grandpa kept calling. He was used to talking to Gabby and she always picked up and had a brief, cheery chat. That day (August 27, last known day Gabby was seen alive), she did not pick up.

So Grandpa did what Grandpa's often do - he called a bunch of times, got worried.

I do believe it was BL who sent the text requesting Stan quit calling so much - it is not what Gabby called her Grandpa, and it is abrupt and rather rude.

Same with the "No service in Yosemite" - brief text (everything Gabby wrote in her available SM was...social and expressive - and hardly any typos and certainly wouldn't be like her to alarm her mother with such a big error in geography. - whereas BL probably had the two parks confused in his head). Also, that text is outside the ME's window of when Gabby was killed (Aug 30; she was already dead).

I noticed this immediately as well. And honestly, my very first thoughts were that she had called RL but I also realized that was my own confirmation bias given the way my relationships with girlfriends of my sons often evolve, heck even ex-girlfriends still call or write me about things they would never discuss with their parents.

BUT, after Rose introduced herself publicly through MSM pieces that we can discuss here, I also dug into Rose offline. Worth the effort if only to broaden the scope of possibilities.

She may have called Rose, but she may have called someone else completely that we have no idea about.

I remain unconvinced that she/they were always alone over the course of this trip. We assume they were, but if she was going to meet up with Rose, which has been made public, why can't we wonder if she/they may have also planned to meet up with others?

I know this isn't popular thinking, but I would, selfishly, love to have facts that help rule such a thing out so I could narrow down all of the possibilities running around in my head. MOO!

One of the weirdest aspects of this case is the almost complete lack of friends coming forward to speak for or against either GP or BL. Rose is pretty outspoken and I read an article from someone who worked with her in NC who said they had a shared interest in art (I think). But she didn't come across as someone really close to her. And there have been a few statements from people who new them in high school.

But where are the accounts from her ex-boyfriends? Did she ever date anyone else but BL? Or teachers, "GP was a such a treasure to have in the classroom" or "BL was kind of quiet, but he never caused any trouble".

From Brian Entin this morning in case anyone missed it:

https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1450144391046254602?s=21

I appreciate this reporter so much. He keeps it respectful, imo

Entin shows us the memorial up close. It’s a bit much to me. He also gives us nuggets but ignores comments that are being asked over and over.

Entin recommends the Australian 60 minutes. If anyone call tell me how to view on iPhone? Thanks
Just search on YouTube and it comes up. I just watched it and liked the comments from the retired Federal Marshall. I wonder if there was a reason this was done by 60” Australia? I’m glad more people will watch there and know to alert LE if they see him!

One of the weirdest aspects of this case is the almost complete lack of friends coming forward to speak for or against either GP or BL. Rose is pretty outspoken and I read an article from someone who worked with her in NC who said they had a shared interest in art (I think). But she didn't come across as someone really close to her. And there have been a few statements from people who new them in high school.

But where are the accounts from her ex-boyfriends? Did she ever date anyone else but BL? Or teachers, "GP was a such a treasure to have in the classroom" or "BL was kind of quiet, but he never caused any trouble".

I feel like maybe people do not want to be a part of the media circus. I know I wouldn't! MOO

I don’t know about that. LE is using SWATs more and more when they’re unnecessary.
Its standard procedure for US Marshals to arrest on a federal warrant. Not just hard core criminals, but bank, financial and other records search warrants. They always come with badges and guns. We had two doctors, US Marshall arrested for Medicare fraud, they came to the house and office with weapons drawn.

Moo...

Why would you think that?

It was the 27th. Gabby was likely dead. Do you really think BL would call Grandpa? I don't. I think BL was getting agitated and having his thoughts interrupted by frequent buzzes from the phone. He might not have known much about silencing the phone - so he irritably sends an uncharacteristic message.

I think Gabby was just listening to voice messages while in the LE car. Many people use a bit of time to do that. Some people actually have saved messages that they've kept to help self-soothe.

At any rate, it's all speculation. But I can imagine many reasons why neither Gabby nor Brian would call Grandpa back that day - maybe he started calling during the disastrous lunch at Merry Piglets, then all through their fruitless search for a regular campsite (if that even happened - perhaps they went straight to the unauthorized site). They were busy.

And then only one of them was busy - and I believe that person sent that text (as well as the silly Yosemite text).

I'm pretty sure a 20-something knows how to turn off a phone. The Stan text is odd, and it may have been him pretending to be her in order to not give the impression VMs were being ignored. He could have slipped up and said "Stan" rather than grandpa. He may not have known (or connected the dots) that it was Stan the grandpa - or maybe it wasn't at all. If there is a Stan business partner guy, then maybe he (or someone) had her number from her time working with the family.

It would be odd for someone who just killed someone and who is in the midst of covering tracks to do some random voicemail forwarding, and very strange indeed if a guy who knows how to populate a Spotify playlist can't figure out how to silence a phone.

She may have been DM'ing folks too. Again, this my own lens with teens and 20 somethings in my house. It is a pretty regular thing. Besides video messaging or crazy long voice recordings, "texting" (thru private messaging) over an insane variety of apps is normal, very secretive and easy to do. We would have ZERO insight into this. MOO!

O agreed. My kids have had a full voicemails since 2013, and don't answer their phone when it rings. They use their phone to communicate in everyway except what telephone historically actually means :)

It could have been Brian's Mother. It's not uncommon for people to call their future in-laws Mom and Dad.
I’m wondering if she talked to his sister, Cassie. Someone who lived with them at one time and closer in age. I feel there was too much embarrassment about the situation for her to call her Mom! We have to remember that BL kept telling her things were all her fault!

No, the car was in the hands of LE during the trial as there was a lot of speculation that the jury was going to have to smell the trunk for themselves. However, the judge ruled against that in June. The evidence was kept until the trial concluded and shortly. afterwards, the Pontiac Sunfire was returned to George and Cindy Anthony who owned the vehicle and they arranged for it to be destroyed.

As far as Gabby's van goes, it may or may not contain evidence - we don't know yet. So...if it doesn't, it will be returned to her parents unless she had a will saying where it should go. If it did contain evidence, I would expect LE to keep it until there is a trial and then be given to her parents after the trial is over whenever that may be.

It's a very interesting topic - what should have been in the van. Even if BL tried to sell a story about Gabby going off on her own, with or without a friend, surely she would have taken her things? Her toothbrush? Her hair brush? Were her things still in the van?

My guess is that BL was not thinking clearly during those days and did not want to be seen dumping her things all along the interstate, and may have wanted to sell his parents the story that Gabby would fly in later, etc. So I bet her things were still there - all of them. That puts a strong kabash on "Gabby was wandering around National Parks by herself or with friends."

It also shows that BL left Spread Creek knowing that Gabby didn't need those things and never would, so he didn't even think about them. In other words, he did no staging that we know of.

If her things are not in the van, where are they? At what point were they removed and where are they now?

I'm pretty sure a 20-something knows how to turn off a phone. The Stan text is odd, and it may have been him pretending to be her in order to not give the impression VMs were being ignored. He could have slipped up and said "Stan" rather than grandpa. He may not have known (or connected the dots) that it was Stan the grandpa - or maybe it wasn't at all. If there is a Stan business partner guy, then maybe he (or someone) had her number from her time working with the family.

It would be odd for someone who just killed someone and who is in the midst of covering tracks to do some random voicemail forwarding, and very strange indeed if a guy who knows how to populate a Spotify playlist can't figure out how to silence a phone.

Which isn't going to get Grandpa to quit calling - in fact, I'd think the opposite. If he keeps going to voicemail, he gets more frantic - which is what happened and which is why BL sent the inept text message.

However, I think BL probably needed the phone to navigate his way to Colter Bay and personally, I believe he used Gabby's iPhone with its Apple Wallet to perform the fraudulent acts with which he is charged ('using an instrument or device'). It would have been connected to her cards. My SO and I have both our faces on both phones...

Florida is a 2 party consent state. I’m sure the FBI can find a way around this if it is necessary. I’d be curious to see/hear the body cams on the NPPD that actually went into the house in the very beginning.

Snip:
Florida's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. Florida makes it a crime to intercept or record a "wire, oral, or electronic communication" in Florida, unless all parties to the communication consent. See Fla. Stat. ch. 934.03. Florida law makes an exception for in-person communications when the parties do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in the conversation, such as when they are engaged in conversation in a public place where they might reasonably be overheard. If you are operating in Florida, you may record these kinds of in-person conversations without breaking the law. However, you should always get the consent of all parties before recording any telephone conversation and any in-person that common sense tells you is private.

Florida Recording Law | Digital Media Law Project

If LE gets a court order to wiretap, they can monitor all of the Laundries' calls/emails/texts, imo.
I think aiding and abetting a fugitive is illegal even for attorneys.

JMO
All phone calls, text, email, and all other forms of communication between client and attorney is privileged. LE would not be able to access even with a warrant.
Moo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member