Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering why the family has said a couple times now that Brian "isn't available". His parents said that to police initially and his sister said she hasn't been able to speak to him since his return. Why not?! What does that mean.

I think the media may have hounded her and since she apparently liked Gabby, she felt she should make a statement, even though she knew no details of what happened. I think it was probably the media that made the brief interview/comments a much bigger deal than it was, not the sister's doing. She really didn't have much to say, but expressed that she liked Gabby, as did her children.

It also suggests some familial dysfunction and fragmentation.

If an alibi was being created, I don't see that he would have anticipated the interest in the case being a national level. What ever his actions were, he was looking at immediate circumstances and fixes, and creating distance from the area.

I remember @shelbycat previously mentioning that the tent was displayed in the presser and asking “does this mean the tent was not in the van?!”

Running w/ this for a moment. Per that tiktok (I am careful with it because unconfirmed so far by LE, but on speculation) — could he AND Gabby have camped somewhere separate from their van? Parked the van, hiked together to a remote location with the tent and camped together? (On her Dyrt app there is a ‘near yellowstone’ list with an A1R camping location that is tent only, no car access, so it’s definitely something they also look at as options for camping)…so they are off together remotely with their tent. Then something happens, he leaves her or kills her there and leaves her with the tent to hightail it out of there? Then, hitchhiked with this couple back to the van so he could run away. Maybe he lied about his story he told them. And maybe the tent wasnt in the van when recovered. We don’t know that, but would make sense why he had been camping for days and only had a tarp on him, and also had a story about why he and gabby were separated. Either he was telling the truth that she was waiting for him back at the van, or he intentionally made that up and said something about his fiancé UNPROMPTED in order to start creating an alibi that they weren’t together.

Additionally, he could have freaked out at the location of the dam drop off, wanting to hop out, to avoid the driving couple figuring out his lies. Maybe his van was near where they dropped him off and he acted like it wasn’t because, he’d already told them he was going to a “remote campsite where his fiancé was waiting, up north” and he couldn’t have them see him going back to a parked car, without his fiancé there, ruining his alibi.

I think the fact he said he’d been camping for days without her but didn’t have a tent with him might be a sign that he DID have a tent and left it, and that maybe he WAS with her camping but left her, too, and needed a backstory to this couple so they trusted him and for an alibi.
I agree here too, gut feeling, no facts, BUT SOLELY based on if the TTVid Hitchhike with Baker is TRUE, that this vicinity is the last known area and time that they were together. Note their last separation very well could have been day before 8/28. He may have used 12-24 hours to cover tracks, dispose, travel etc.. back to where he was picked up. BR does not come across to me as that smart at his age but I believe he may have carefully planned/pre-mediatated this beginning around the time they were pulled over by police in Moab. reasons for pre-meditated are unknown, could be numerous and many have been mentioned, pregnancy, etc...

Walking barefoot is a trendy thing called "grounding" or "earthing".

Why Going Barefoot Can Be Good For Your Health: Meet "Earthing"

"The Earth's surface is negatively charged with free electrons—meaning that the Earth has an abundance of free (negatively charged) electrons that travel and rapidly reduce positive charge," Ober tells mbg. "Example: When standing barefoot on the earth, the body absorbs these free electrons and equalizes to the earth's negative charge."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
If you’re running around barefoot in the back country and you damage a foot, you’re toast. Your feet are your primary survival gear. Their job is to keep or get you out of trouble.

On the AT, in Mass., I came across a boy scout troop where the kids were running around shoeless in the backcountry. The scout “leader” didn’t seem to think that was a problem. 15 kids, one adult. I really yelled at him. I almost left the shelter where they and I had put in for the night, because I was so afraid of being around someone so irresponsible.

I also slept next to a hobo who hiked in bare feet, but that’s not at all the same as white middle class kids traipsing around shoeless in the backcountry. The hobo took care of his feet incidentally, to my fascination…

So yeah, safety tip: you need your feet for survival.

Wondering why the family has said a couple times now that Brian "isn't available". His parents said that to police initially and his sister said she hasn't been able to speak to him since his return. Why not?! What does that mean.

1) He's in a psych ward.
2) He's out of the region or country.
3) They are lying.

One of these three possibilities -

What if Brian left Gabby either dying or dead and was hitchhiking and making himself very noticeable because his alibi was supposed to be that he was miles away and with other people who could positively ID him when Gabby was dying.

He intended to go back after a few days and be 'shocked' to find her dead, but realised he'd misjudged distances and consequently his plan had gone wrong. I'd be interested to discover if he had any contact with his parents at this point.

That most likely in reference to picking up the van. I believe Petito's name was listed as the owner and when the van was transferred to him an officer would have been present. "Public service" incidents are run of the mill types of incidents. They do it for a traffic light being out, a missing sign, etc. If a person breaks up with someone they share a domicile with and they come to retrieve their belongings with an officer it's called a public service incident.

I think the van was impounded on a Saturday and the 11th was a Saturday this month. I guess the follow up was to impound the van.

Not true I lived in Florida he was her fiancée not husband . In that case ownership would go to her family the reason I know this is my Fiancée passed away from cancer and her family got possession of her car even though I was listed as a driver on insurance

What you said doesn't contradict what the poster said.

Good heavens, reading between the lines that sounds so awful.

"Ramen, bottled water and donuts" - that bespeaks "little more than, like, $6 for a food run; and we have to stretch it as far as possible."

I am assuming that Ramen is like 5/$0.99; the water bottle is whatever the cheapest water cost; and the donuts are plain cake $0.99-1.99/dozen. At best, they are glazed with chocolate or white sugar.

I mean, I know they are young lean people; but that sounds so scanty a bill of fare...! Plus, it was probably supposed to stretch for multiple meals.

Do we know for a fact this sighting was really them? The dates don't match Iirc. It doesn't sound like the kind of food they would eat. Also, the hotel they were staying at is quite a few miles west of this location. And there isn't anything much touristy right around there except maybe the Fed Building. Which is interesting because it is built to be super secure fortress like cube thing.

My opinion after seeing the recent TikTok videos on BL hitchhiking:

I also think the one comment earlier is right-- he didn't want to go to Jackson, Wyoming. He wanted to go to Jackson, Idaho. Thats why he was offering $200, because its a 3 hour drive from where he was picked up. He also needed to get to the van ASAP and get out of there before someone noticed it or reported it and he got in trouble. Thats why he got agitated when he realized he was going in the opposite direction he needed to be going, every minute that their van was there was a risk that someone else would get there before he did.

Trust me, there is absolutely no way he meant Jackson, ID. Not even a remote chance as far as I'm concerned. If you say "Jackson" anywhere in Wyoming, Idaho or Utah, 100 out of 100 people would take you to mean Jackson, WY. The Idaho town is virtually unknown outside of Cassia County.

Out of the country (left before anyone knew she was missing) or in a mental health/treatment facility per his lawyer's advice has long been my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member