Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question I want to ask...

Why did SB contact the FBI on 9/13-14 to report BL missing? On the 14th GP had not been found and no charges had been filed on the bank account. Why didn't BLs parents report him missing? Even on the 17th when "conversations were had" prior to reporting BL missing to NPPD, SB insured/protected the Ls from questions regarding GP.

Even the protesters don't seem to phase these folks. Everyone begging for answers of what hapoen to GP and they remain silent. Says alot to me...
Moo...

To answer the bolded (by me) question, because Gabby was missing. That certainly would raise some concerns.

What if Brian simply told his parents that Gabby was with a friend. Why would they question that? What if the first they heard that Gabby was missing was from LE on the 11th? That's the story making the rounds this morning. What if, for example, Brian continued to insist to his parents that he left Gabby with Rose and that was the last time he saw her?

We all saw Brian smooth talk his way out of that domestic violence incident with the police. He can obviously be convincing when he needs to be.

I heard that the same way the first time I listened to it! After repeating it a couple of times, I’m allowing for the possibility that those are two separate sentences. However, some part of me is hearing that BL took his life on the 9/14 and that SB, CL and BL somehow knew it. Jmo
Naaaa! He just.mispoke! He's speaking in the now not then!

Thanks for your reply. My understanding is (from this mornings GMA interview) that the L's have not been completely silent in the investigation. I think it is good advice not to talk until you have the lay of the land (so to speak). It may be, that the L's don't really know anything of worth, but that may not do them any favours either.

The fact is, we cannot undo what have been done and we cannot unsay what has been said.

We can agree to disagree, whilst SB's response is far from perfect - I am worried that if nothing was said at all, that would have aggravated the protestors further, and that is another consideration that he had to factor in. No one is perfect.

No, you're right, they haven't - as he did go on about in the NBC interview yesterday, "conversations were had" at some point, though those would have been through or at least with and managed by the Ls' attorney.

The concern is (based on observation, outcome, and SB'S own words) a lack of experience and/or a certain style and/or a misapprehension of the dynamics and relative power positions, throughout the last 6-7 weeks. SB has indicated that his approach has not been supple or particularly agile (and that is a style that works for many attorneys and/or in certain types of situations); this is consistent with his self-described career-long approach to his standing as an attorney.

What works for Long Island real estate and low-level criminal practice isn't likely to work for every situation. I've dealt with attorneys like this in transactional situations. Not necessarily bad lawyers, but there's sometimes an approach that undermines their client's bargaining power - David & Goliath issues, over-personal investment in the thing, insecurity, or just needing to scale it up professionally and tactically. Some adapt brilliantly from the start . Some reach a good outcome because they adapt their own approach to the situation. Some never do but the clients work it out themselves. And some tank the deal or cause the result to be less favorable to their client than it would have been if their lawyer hadn't seen every item as a nail needing hammering.

(And full disclosure - I still cringe over a time early in my career realizing that I myself, even representing "Goliath," was being way too "TOO" in negotiations (difficult, rigid, aggressive and posturing) and actually hindering productive work. Thank God I realized I was way out of order before I did any real harm, but it serves as an uncomfortable reminder decades later.)

Good
lawyers bring humility, not insecurity /over compensation to their work. They need to be able to assess themselves candidly, because they are there *purely* to represent their client(s).

And fwiw, I don't care so much about Bertolino's relationship with the media or his opinions of "John Q. Public.". Yes, a really good lawyer with tons of media experience could have played that very differently, but even an average lawyer thinking properly would have thought more and said less. Hire a consultant or seek formal support from other members of the Bar with more experience. What's said casually in the men's room is not how it should be said on TV.

In any case, media stuff is legal-outcome-wise relevant really only to the extent that it did or didn't make LE's jobs harder. What matters/mattered is any legal and other serious impacts to his clients and their representation.

Exactly.
And if his parents turned him in as soon as he confessed to them what he did (I'm assuming Gabby's death was at his hands and no one else's), he would be alive today.

The burden of proof is on the prosecution and if they couldn't definitively tie his involvement in Gabby's murder -- but only circumstantially, he may have had a light sentence or even walked.
Imo.

While it would have been moral to turn BL in, there was not a warrant at that time (warrant was not issued until 9/22) so turning BL into the police would have had to involve a confession.

The best they could have done would be to answer the Petitos respectfully (all they wanted to know was where GP was), get a good criminal lawyer, keep BL safe even if they had to Baker Act him, and have the lawyer conduct press conferences / PR as things developed. IMOO

Ugh, watching SB’s “media tour.” The Laundries and SB are being chewed up and spit out by the incredibly intense international publicity on this case. If SB knew how to give good advice and counsel to his friends he should have told them weeks ago to hire some serious pros for this very very serious situation far beyond his pay scale. Jmo
Serious question, is he billing the Laundries for every media appearance he makes?

He went hiking on a Monday. SB stated the family notified him. SB called FBI, but did not chose to file a missing person report with NPPD, all on Monday. The local police would handle a misssing person, not the FBI. As of Monday, 9-13, he had not been charged with any crime.

Moo....
I believe that SB spoke with the FBI Tuesday - source - the interiews last night. The point is, regardless of whether FBI takes MP reports, SB reported BL missing to them. They were the lead agency. If the FBI were not interested, they would have told SB so. If the FBI were not in charge of the respective investigations, why did they tell NPPD on Friday to visit the L's and take a MP report?

The L's and SB are not responsible for the FBI's failure to communicate with other LE agencies.

Looking back over the statements issued, especially this one and also considering the behavior of the parents I believe they knew where BL was and why he had gone there. The parents will have unsuccessfully searched for him and brought the car back as they knew it was no longer needed there. If so, the silence and behavior of his parents is most likely down to grieving for the loss of their son, choosing to keep silent to the general public under his body was recovered. All this took place before Gabby's body was found. It was mentioned a few times that they've cooperated fully with LE since BL was reported missing. I feel they knew what had happened, not sure if they knew before BL arrived home or if they found out that day but I would guess before. They were also most likely mourning Gabby's loss to some degree but didn't have the respect to help find her body even after their son had died. MOO

It is possible he left a note back at home. But it's a pretty big assumption to assume they had information that could help find Gabby.

So hard to keep up. I know it’s mostly a moot point now, but …Was anyone from the Merry Pig incident interviewed… staff or customers? I know that BL was going off on a waitress, he left and came back in a few times yelling. Do we know what he was saying?

Did Bertolino ever use the phrase' 2 families... great tragedy' around the 14th Sept?
I know he didn't use it in his written statement at that time

What I haven't found is that interview/verbal comment he made with a local TV reporter who was outside his law office, around the 14th. If anyone remembers that ,be interested to see a link to it & can check his exact words
I can't help, sorry. But try the media thread in the first instance.

I know. It's really annoying :)
Hahaha!! I bet you get phone calls like that all the time. They’d have to be one of my good friends for me to call them like that. But trust me…whenever they’re building something & want someone to look at building plans or whatever, they call me, too. So…the favor is returned haha! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess9976