Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #76

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you. So there was mutual aggression. But it does sound as if BL was escalating more than Gabby (he does take her phone - which then limited her options as to what to do next).

Yes. Hence my puzzlement.

Well, it obviously happened quickly. I show completely non-dramatic films to my students, and they summarize the action, and their accounts do not always jive.

The part about him attempting to drive off without her seems clear - and it certainly seems he may have had her phone at that moment.

What interests me in hindsight is whether they had already put her hard drive and/or other vlog-making implements back into the van. I am now assuming that BL's phone may only have worked on wireless...

Am late to this whole conversation but just to add
From reviewing the transcript last week, his entire account of how he got the injuries is very sketchy* to me.
One of those FBI statement analysts would have a field day with it.
( The way he builds the rings, phone, keys sequences - in the transcript)

then compare that to what he said about how long they'd been fighting . iirc it was at least for over a week prior to the MOAB stop on 12th

ETA . To be clear, I am not suggesting that he created those injuries himself *

Then the attorney would have said that. The word grieving is a "Freudian Slip"
I think. A classic term to use for a death, not for a breakup or fight amongst a couple, a very "telling" remark.
When I became a widow, I reevaluated a lot and I see that grief is very personal and people grieve many things. The loss of a marriage, the death of a loved one, the break up. I think a young person who has not experienced much loss could most certainly be "grieving" deeply even. Just my opinion. So I feel the parents, could have thought that was why he was distraught... and maybe he had threatened to hurt himself before and just cooled off hiking for a few hours.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”
--Fred (Mr.) Rogers
OK. Let's look for the helpers.
How about the people of LE who followed orders and spent days in the most inhospitable conditions trying to save the life of someone they thought was in crisis? Not happy with the BIG decisions? The sacrifice of the people ordered into that dangerous muck deserves praise. Their families were probably terrified they'd be attacked by gators and poisonous snakes.
How about the Laundrie's neighbors - the ones who tolerated a world of craziness and said...nothing?
How about the search teams and forensics people in Wyoming who sprang into action and got answers for the Petitos?
How about the members of the Vanlife community who turned a ton of information over to LE?
How about the people who offered a reward?

How about the *Petitos*?
With few answers forthcoming and in the face of stony silence, they conducted themselves nobly, compassionately, humanely, intelligently. We saw where Gabby got the seeds of her humanity from. The Petitos get it. Of all the paths they could have taken, they decided to continue what their daughter set out to do. They decided to help, to start a foundation in her name.
Remember...they had a lawyer too.

Now, amid the firestorm of blame shifting, falling on swords, the white noise of excuses, the blind alleys coming belatedly from the other side of things - leave them to themselves.

Look to the Petitos.
MOO

From the first link, it sounded like Gabby hit Brian when he was trying to drive away in her van ?
So... had he done that before (drive off without her) and she'd been stranded at other times during their trip ?
Imagine the panic.
Very frightening if he'd been treating her like that.
Of course it's not right to hit anyone.
I'm not saying they didn't push each other's buttons at times.
But it sounded like the 911 caller sensed this was a serious altercation and Gabby was in extreme fear.
This was my take on the male caller ?

I hope that the next young couple in trouble can take a break from each other and realize when it's getting to dangerous point.

I also think (imo) that IG and other sm platforms make some people try to portray "perfection" , constant being "happy", and it can become exhausting and cause a build up of tension that's unnecessary.

Imo.

Yes, it's more likely he was grieving the loss of his own life as he had known it because he certainly didn't appear to be grieving during the Fort De Soto camping trip. Now we all know what condition Gabby was in during that time and he knew it then as he toasted his smores. Where was his grief then?
I agree with you...in terms of both his behaviour & the timeline, it seems very much the case that going to the swamp to die was a reaction to being investigated, as opposed to feeling any remorse. JMO

Except that they probably assumed they were being pulled over for his speeding. They probably had no idea a third party called 911 for a DV situation, so they wouldn't have had to time to coordinate their stories. Each were interviewed separately... IMO.
That does not prevent them from still lying about her being hit when they were questioned, that does not prevent her from being concerned he could be arrested, that does not prevent Brian from knowing he could be charged if he admitted to slapping and hitting her. I think it can be instant reflex to protect yourself or someone else, I don’t think you need any prep time to do that. MOO

I had this thought on my way to work this morning. In the interview SB did last night, he said he originally got a phone call from CL saying like hey we’re getting some inquiries from the police…can you help us out. However, IIRC the very first time LE came to the house, they handed them SB’s card. Would that not indicate that they called SB before the police made contact with them??
No. If the police came nosing around my house and I didn't want to talk to them for whatever reason, I'd just give them the contact info for my attorney. Then I'd give my attorney the head's up she may be getting a call.

Some people already have attorneys for other reasons - business, real estate, civil matters, etc before LE ever shows up. That was the case here. I'm not a criminal, but I have an attorney (mostly contract stuff). That seems to be the case here, as well. imo

i'm guessing here but let me speculate and say maybe the fbi knew about the bag of stuff. maybe they found it earlier and just cataloged and photographed the contents and then left it where they found it to see if anyone approached it. cause if they left it they could then observe any future handoffs if there were to be any. and then dad found it. it occurred to me that walking in tall grass in that type setting with no pole or weapon of some sort is just an extremely stupid thing to do. MOO. dad's actually kinda lucky and blessed that he did not walk up on some snake(s) imo. tv stations should run a scrolling banner during any telecast of the video stating "We do not suggest walking , like Mr. Laundrie, through tall marsh grass near a recent swamp area, be safe & take adequate precautions" or something to that effect. i think dad wanted to "find" the bag real bad. MOO.

I know that no one planted a body, but I will just never get over the sight of Dad deliberately walking off the trail with so much purpose, while Roberta just stares into the woods. imo.

It did look like CL knew what direction to go in, and RL walked on the path for a short bit and then just stops almost like she was waiting for CL to come back.

I agree I don't think either Laundrie planted a body or even the items they found, but it sure does make me wonder their search within an hour was more efficient than LE's after five weeks.

It's really too bad Gabby didn't tell LE all of that - but clearly, she didn't want BL in jail (and she might have been in jail herself, given the marks on his body). They both wanted to avoid jail, which is understandable.

It is too bad and I continue to wonder if partly the reason was not to destroy her dream. The one vanlife video clearly features an attractive, happy couple very much in love experiencing a carefree adventure together. The result of ending the relationship would also be shattering that dream.

I know that no one planted a body, but I will just never get over the sight of Dad deliberately walking off the trail with so much purpose, while Roberta just stares into the woods. imo.
There's a chance that they spotted it from the trail and he went to check it out while she just waited on the trail. imo no one planted anything.

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”
--Fred (Mr.) Rogers
OK. Let's look for the helpers.
How about the people of LE who followed orders and spent days in the most inhospitable conditions trying to save the life of someone they thought was in crisis? Not happy with the BIG decisions? The sacrifice of the people ordered into that dangerous muck deserves praise. Their families were probably terrified they'd be attacked by gators and poisonous snakes.
How about the Laundrie's neighbors - the ones who tolerated a world of craziness and said...nothing?
How about the search teams and forensics people in Wyoming who sprang into action and got answers for the Petitos?
How about the members of the Vanlife community who turned a ton of information over to LE?
How about the people who offered a reward?

How about the *Petitos*?
With few answers forthcoming and in the face of stony silence, they conducted themselves nobly, compassionately, humanely, intelligently. We saw where Gabby got the seeds of her humanity from. The Petitos get it. Of all the paths they could have taken, they decided to continue what their daughter set out to do. They decided to help, to start a foundation in her name.
Remember...they had a lawyer too.

Now, amid the firestorm of blame shifting, falling on swords, the white noise of excuses, the blind alleys coming belatedly from the other side of things - leave them to themselves.

Look to the Petitos.
MOO

Yes, bravo.
To all those that helped and cared. I do not know how the Petitos can maintain their composure. It is admirable.

People are talking about the Laundry parents facing charges (and the possibility of them having made a deal with LE/FBI), but I think the possibility of them being charged is extremely unlikely, based on what we know to be true (facts). Here's why:

(1) The only thing the Laundries did that we know about, is to remain silent and to not answer/return texts/calls. These things are not criminal.

(2) IMO, BL appears to have been deceased since he left to hike in the reserve, based on the state of the remains being skeletal, which suggests that his parents were truthful about when he left and where he went.

(3) There is nothing to suggest that the parents assisted BL after he left, and certainly not after BL was charged with the bank card charge, because there were people watching their house/them around the clock. Anything they did to help him before he was charged was not criminal.

(4) It seems to me that it is unlikely that LE/FBI would have evidence of the parents doing anything to help BL after he was charged.
(a) Burner phones: unlikely
Apparently, there is no cell service in M. park or the C. reserve so it's unlikely that anyone was communicating with BL since he left home and went to the park or reserve.
(b) parents meeting BL and supplying him
People have been watching the parents' house around the clock and following them when they drive anywhere, so it's unlikely that they brought him supplies to the park or reserve.
(c) Bank withdrawals to help BL
There are unlikely to be any bank withdrawals to help BL after he was charged, because he was gone before that, so even if the parents bought him camping gear and supplies before he left, it would not have been criminal because he hadn't been charged at that time.

IMO, there is no reason for the parents to be charged for anything. It does not appear that they have done anything illegal.

I agree, as long as the Ls do not speak with LE, SB keeps quite, and now BL is deceased. BLs conversations are privileged as well as his parents. Nobody talks and no one can be prosecuted.
Moo

Then the attorney would have said that. The word grieving is a "Freudian Slip"
I think. A classic term to use for a death, not for a breakup or fight amongst a couple, a very "telling" remark.
In statement analysis, this could be considered "leakage". The lawyer seemed pretty emotional and this can allow people to relax a bit and not censor their words as carefully as they would normally.
Although, I don't know SB's typical vocabulary and if he regularly uses words incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yedi