Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were not offered immunity, as far as we know. In fact, their lawyer has specifically stated there was no deal and no immunity. But some are speculating anyway.

As far as we know, the Laundries (parents) have not done anything for which they even need immunity.
Oh my gosh, thank you. I was reading all this immunity business from the perspective it had some basis in fact. Had no idea I was reading pages of speculation!

I am monumentally confused at the moment. I see pages and pages discussing some proffer and some immunity deal for BL's parents but I can't find a single source for any of this.

Where is it coming from? Does anyone have a link? tia

There is absolutely no source for it. Even if it happened, it's not like the FBI releases that information (ever). If there's a major leak inside the FBI, there's no source for that either (and it's a very serious charge, so people should think twice about saying such a thing, IMO).

I'll be glad to be proved wrong - by a link.

I am monumentally confused at the moment. I see pages and pages discussing some proffer and some immunity deal for BL's parents but I can't find a single source for any of this.

Coffindorfer & Kaplan in the Mail said ' could', 'might' 'possibly'

Brian Laundrie's parents 'may have already spilled the secrets of Gabby Petito's murder to the FBI' | Daily Mail Online

well, that's the link I've seen shared widely

Per SB, charges against the parents were discussed, what for, we do not know. MOO

Do you recall where this was said? I do recall him saying charges were discussed, but are we sure it was against the parents? Even if true, that doesn't necessarily mean they did anything wrong.

edit: nevermind. found it. will post separately...

Last edited:

Yeah, I had to research it myself by going back through the thread. Just some wild speculation that has for some reason got a lot of traction.

Yes, well, LE let the parents walk in the area and find things. So they were okay with it. Of course I don't equate crime scene to homicide - I've been saying the opposite as plainly as I could all along. I'm a forensic anthropologist.

He was a fugitive, but I think LE thought he was dead in the preserve. In fact, it's possible that dogs hit on cadaverine close by - but couldn't locate the source. I also think LE knows what kind of gun was in that gun case in the Mustang, so they knew what type of damage they would be looking for. People don't usually die from, say, a gunshot to their knee. Suicides typically go for the head - and if someone looks up on the internet how to do it, they would do it in such a way as to blow off the top of their head (which has been hinted at by media sources talking about the cranial sutures). LE knows all this too.

What effect on this case does the parents touching the dry bag have? Do you really think that all investigations are exactly the same and by the book? They are not. Emotions and family relationships are real - and if the Laundries found something LE did not, unless LE had them under close surveillance for some unknown reason, it was predictable that they'd touch the dry bag.

And again - what possible evidence could be ruined by the parents touching the dry bag? One could assume their DNA would be on most of BL's belongings.

I'm just not getting the concern.

Thank you, I was starting to think I was a little nuts. Well, I am, but not because of this, lol

Yes. I read that post. I don't necessarily believe immunity was given nor do I believe the parents committed any crime based on what we now know. But I'm still not understanding why a party offering the parents immunity from prosecution for X, Y, or Z (IF it was offered) would put in a clause that essentially said "the deal's off if he's dead" unless there was a concern the parents would kill him to maintain immunity. Obviously if BL was dead though and wasn't going to be prosecuted, that let's the parents off the hook on many things anyway. And so it makes no sense to me to have a "he can't be dead" clause.
JMO

oh no, that's not at all what i was suggesting...i don't know of anything that the laundries have done that would warrant any kind of immunity offer...i was simply stating that if this had happened, if the laundries were offered some sort of immunity in return for giving BL's location, that it would be shortsighted of the FBI/AUSA (or whoever would have offered such a deal) to not require him to actually be found alive in exchange for such immunity...moo

It is speculation of course there are no links. It is reasonable speculation, though and we can take it for what it's worth to us, in our individual understanding of the case. If not, we can reject it. jmo
Thank you. I understand now. I had no idea I was reading pages of speculation. Will roll and scroll. Much appreciated!

There is absolutely no source for it. Even if it happened, it's not like the FBI releases that information (ever). If there's a major leak inside the FBI, there's no source for that either (and it's a very serious charge, so people should think twice about saying such a thing, IMO).

This is why I'm an FBI fangirl. They don't talk and they don't play.

I'm a recently retired teacher, but if I were 20 again I’d consider making that my career. Of course I would’ve had to be better at keeping secrets than I actually am!

The forensic anthropologist will analyze the bones to try to determine the cause and manner of death. And no, I don't think police would just look at the bones at the reserve to determine whether or not the death was a homicide.

If there is a gunshot wound, sometimes they can tell by the angle and location of the bullet whether it was self inflicted.

They may also be able to tell if any drugs were taken, if there is enough soft tissue for testing.

Every body has a story to tell and hopefully the forensic anthropologist will be meticulous in finding the cause of death.

Sadly, I don't think there's much or any soft tissue available in Brian's case. Maybe some cartilage, which can be useful.

Drug use might show up in the marrow chambers and in any hair that isn't degraded (a long shot, in this case, I think). Gunshot wounds that are self-inflicted are fairly easy to demonstrate and very few murderers are able to replicate a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Plus, of course, there should be a gun nearby.

I keep wracking my brain about other possibilities. Drugs or guns seem the most likely. This whole case is so very sad and my heart goes out to both families - but also to the forensic people who have to figure things out, it is never a cheerful job. With luck, maybe a suicide note will turn up. Not sure Brian thought in that manner or was capable of direct statements that aren't open to varying interpretations (judging from his other writings). Two bright lights extinguished.

Okay, it was in the video in this report that Bertolino said that possible charges against the Laundries were discussed and the idea was dismissed.

Bertolino at 9:10 : "when communications were had between myself and the FBI I think it was realized that charges were not appropriate."

I would guess this was about the Laundries getting the date Brian left wrong. You don't lie to the FBI. But he must have convinced them it was an honest mistake.

Brian Laundrie's Lawyer Says FBI Has Discussed Charging His Parents With A Crime

SB's interview with NBC with regard to immunity.

Reporter

Steve do you think your client's, the Laundrie's, Brian's parents will eventually be charged with crimes?

SB
I have no reason to believe that.

Reporter
There has been some speculation out there, and again I understand you don't like to talk about speculation, that maybe some type of deal was cut. That they promised to co-operative with investigators to get some type of immunity. Any truth to that?

SB
I can tell you, no, there's no truth to that. What I can tell you is that conversations were had several weeks ago with the FBI, with respect to certain charges. When questioned and when communications were had between myself and the FBI, I think it was realised that charges were not appropriate. There was never a threat, there was never a coercion. There was never a deal cut.

<modsnip>
We have this myth of the perfect victim - if they aren’t totally angelic and well behaved then they are no longer seen as the victim. But when one person has all the power, the person without power cannot be held responsible in any way for what happens since they have no choice in any of it.
There is nothing she did that that made someone wrap their hands around her throat and squeeze until her life was gone. Not the scratches on his face, not her hitting him, none of it. To say otherwise is the same as saying a rape victim is partially responsible because they were drunk.
Just no. The perpetrator is 100% responsible, always.

Last edited by a moderator:
SB's interview with NBC with regard to immunity.

Reporter

Steve do you think your client's, the Laundrie's, Brian's parents will eventually be charged with crimes?

SB
I have no reason to believe that.

Reporter
There has been some speculation out there, and again I understand you don't like to talk about speculation, that maybe some type of deal was cut. That they promised to co-operative with investigators to get some type of immunity. Any truth to that?

SB
I can tell you, no, there's no truth to that. What I can tell you is that conversations were had several weeks ago with the FBI, with respect to certain charges. When questioned and when communications were had between myself and the FBI, I think it was realised that charges were not appropriate. There was never a threat, there was never a coercion. There was never a deal cut.

I think it's all semantics. He could say that at the time of that interview the deal was up in the air but not official (as in signed), yada, yada, yada. He can basically say whatever he wants to MSM. He's under no obligation to be truthful. IMO.

They were not offered immunity, as far as we know. In fact, their lawyer has specifically stated there was no deal and no immunity. But some are speculating anyway.

As far as we know, the Laundries (parents) have not done anything for which they even need immunity.

Yeah, this whole line of speculation isn't grounded in the real world. If LE wanted testimony from Brian's parents about Gabby's murder, the Laundries would be subpoenaed to appear before the grand jury investigating Gabby's death. If they refused to talk invoking their right to remain silent, they could be given immunity for their grand jury testimony that would prevent them from being able to invoke the 5th Amendment (since the immunity would prevent their testimony from being used against them). The 5th Amendment protects your right to refuse to participate in your own prosecution. It does not protect your right to refuse to cooperate as a witness in the prosecution of someone else. These are two different issues.

What I think everyone is missing is that the Laundries allegedly refused to cooperate based on the advice of counsel, not by invoking their 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination. That has nothing to do with potential liability. That has to do with the right for people to candidly receive legal advice from their attorneys. Even SB has said over and over again that they declined to talk based on the advice of their counsel. Brian, obviously, was invoking his right to remain silent regarding a crime that he was potentially involved in. If his parents had suspicions about Brian that they discussed with their lawyer but they did not actively impede the investigation, there is no crime (sorry).

It's obvious to me that the Laundries wanted to protect Brian, not themselves. They didn't want to disclose what they spoke about with their lawyer regarding their concern about Brian. It has nothing to do with themselves and their own liability (which is none, sorry).

Sadly, I don't think there's much or any soft tissue available in Brian's case. Maybe some cartilage, which can be useful.

Drug use might show up in the marrow chambers and in any hair that isn't degraded (a long shot, in this case, I think). Gunshot wounds that are self-inflicted are fairly easy to demonstrate and very few murderers are able to replicate a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Plus, of course, there should be a gun nearby.

I keep wracking my brain about other possibilities. Drugs or guns seem the most likely. This whole case is so very sad and my heart goes out to both families - but also to the forensic people who have to figure things out, it is never a cheerful job. With luck, maybe a suicide note will turn up. Not sure Brian thought in that manner or was capable of direct statements that aren't open to varying interpretations (judging from his other writings). Two bright lights extinguished.
I imagine gunshot to the head, but we have no idea how much of the skull they have...and how it was possibly shattered. Also, if animals chewed on the bone after a gunshot death. I sure hope they can solve the puzzle. This is mere speculation, it is not meant in any way to be taken as fact. JMO

I suppose it doesn't really matter. However, what I find interesting about sleuthing is the unfolding of events, and how different the truth is from my assumptions. Examples: 1. Kelsey Berreth: Who would have thought that another woman was involved in the burning of her body? Gruesome, crazy, stupid. 2.' Charli' Scott: The media kept reporting as fact the story that the perpetrator gave as to where he last saw her. Fortunately, her family had Life 360 and were able to locate her clothes and the little bits that remained of her body. Ugh. I was really caught up in this case. 3. Mollie Tibbetts: I never thought her boyfriend was involved. There was another local man who many accused due to a domestic violence history. I never thought he was involved, either. In the end, PD was able to resolve the case and it was someone that none of us had on our radar. So this is what intrigues me - finding out what REALLY happened, how/when/why it happened. JMHO
You are making such an important point in your post. We can learn so much from each other if we keep an open mind. Sure, we may have a primary theory, but it's good to let others poke holes in it, or offer opposing views. Many of these case are multi-dimensional, and even the most seasoned detective couldn't have predicted how many of them end.

In this particular case, I had it wrong myself. However, someone who has a LE hubby said he was sure that BL had done himself in. That was just after BL disappeared. It appears as if he was right, although it's doubtful we will ever know for certain.

One thing I do know for certain. Those who have continued to hang out in front of the L house and chant taunting and gruesome things should put that energy towards something more productive; like helping find the thousands of still missing. Someone said it so well in that we only need to look as far as our own neighborhoods, to find those in need of our help. A good message and reminder.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members