Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to give myself a concussion from all the smacking my head I'm doing. So we went from "We know exactly where BL is" to "We don't track citizens, we had no reason to surveil him, he wasn't a suspect," to "We thought he came home because we couldn't tell the difference between the 23-year-old young man and his middle-aged mother"? What kind of Keystone Kops movie is this? As a local, this is utterly terrifying to me. I just don't understand how so many things failed to come together to at least keep BL in sight AND ALIVE to (hopefully) stand trial in the death of Gabby.

I know there's a lot of people who believe GP died on Aug 27, but now that we know cause of death was strangulation, the idea that BL hiked up to Colter Bay with a tarp to "clean up" just doesn't seem to fit logically anymore. What would BL (a guy who admitted to LE that he regularly tracked dirt into the van) have been so intent upon "cleaning up" if there wasn't blood or gunpowder residue involved? And why--if he just freaked out and took off on foot--would he bring the tarp along? And why hang around the area (with the van just yards from GP's body) for two more days? I know folks on here have said that they think the hitchhiking stories were to establish alibis, but if anything, those stories helped narrow down exactly where the van--and GP's remains--were located. He also didn't bother to try to establish any alibis during the trip back or once he arrived in FL, so his reversal from chatty guy who talks about his gf to going completely silent obviously came sometime after being dropped off in Spread Creek on the 29th.

I still think the date that makes more sense is Aug 29 -- that after he gets back from hiking/hitchhiking that GP confronts him about deserting her (possibly without a phone or keys) for the day when she was supposed to be meeting up with a friend. He kills her, he freaks out, shoves everything in the van, and doesn't stop driving until he gets home.

MOO
This is pretty much what I've said from the start, as well, because in my head it makes the most sense. Although, I also think about the fact that he could have hiked from SC to CB in 6 hours, which opens up a lot of windows of opportunities for date/time, imo. I just think it's hard to believe he camped for two nights along the river with only a tarp and long sleeves and it was getting down to 33 degrees.

When BL was still missing, I always thought to myself that if he went out and killed himself, it would support the behavior like you describe (running with the van immediately after killing GP), desperate and impulsive. If he was hiding and being supported, the whole hiking for an alibi and hitchhikking back while lying to his riders seemed to fit more. IDK... I'm no expert on anything, though. I still keep an open mind on all scenarios between late 27th and very early 30th (since FBI asks for witnesses at SC during that timeframe).

Brian Laundrie Mistaken for Mom, Not Watched Carefully, Police Admit

Here is why the police said they knew where Brian was when it turned out they didn't.

During a recent interview with WINK News in Florida, North Port Police Public Information Officer Josh Taylor said the department watched Laundrie leave his home on September 13 and then believed he returned home in his Ford Mustang on September 15.

However, the North Port Police Department later learned that the person in the vehicle was Brian's mother, Roberta Laundrie.

"I believe it was it was his mom who was wearing a baseball cap," Taylor told the local news station. "They had returned from the park with that Mustang. So who does that? Right? Like, if you think your son's missing since Tuesday, you're going to bring his car back to the home.

So it didn't make sense that anyone would do that if he wasn't there. So the individual getting out with a baseball cap we thought was Brian."

"They're kind of built similarly," Taylor added in regard to Brian and his mother.

A day after officials with the North Port Police Department believed Laundrie returned home, they held a press conference where Chief Todd Garrison said that "All I'm going to say is we know where Brian Laundrie is at," believing that he was still at his home in North Port.

While Bertolino previously told the FBI that Laundrie did not return home from his hike, an official missing persons report was not filed with the North Port Police Department until Friday, September 17.

"When the family reported him on Friday. That was certainly news to us that they had not seen him," Taylor said. "We thought that we'd seen Brian initially come back into that home on that Wednesday...No case is perfect
That's a trip. Never have I seen an image of RL with her long billowing floral tops & mother's figure and thought, "Looks like a young man." Maybe the cargo shorts, but look a little closer, sheesh. That's unfortunate. If they'd tailed him to the park prob would've found him days in.
I think he was running to avoid the reality of what he'd done. When he was picked up twice hitchhiking, I don't think his stories were to form an alibi as much as he was perhaps in denial about what had happened. She wasn't dead, she was working on her vlog, etc... That and running from the scene didn't help. Perhaps, in his mind, there was only one way to permanently get away from it...
Yeah- what is suicide if not the ultimate running away.

While this thread was being edited, I ran across a little info I did not know from 3 weeks back. It's hard to understand exactly what this means:

"FBI agents returned to Laundry’s house on Thursday, spending time in the house and in a camper laundromat, and his parents went on a trip a few days before he went missing."
Gabby Petito Update: The FBI brought home an item that was used to "help canines" in search of Brian Laundry. - Florida News Times

Not sure if the journalist meant to say the FBI searched the camper (which we all saw on TV) OR if the FBI went to Port DeSoto Campground and searched the laundry there. I'm 100% certain that tiny pickup bed camper does not contain any kind of laundry facility. At most it may have a sink or porta potty type toilet. This is a good example of why journalists need to check their work and make sure it says whatever they meant to say because as it is, it's very confusing.
This sounds like one of those auto translations of an article from China. I run into that laundromat thing often when I see those articles. Moo

eta- or not? I just read the link. Weird

In my experience, living near a lake with woods where homeless people camp out, they use a tarp to shelter behind. It is raised at an angle and supported by trees or sticks. Not in the usual v shape. It angles from the ground upward towards the sky. Not to lay on. It really does tend to blend in with the surroundings.
I have seen a few squatting in the woods that use this method.
MOO
I understand the use of tarps in wilderness survival.

What I was challenging was the speculation that, after GP's death, BL would continue camping around Tetons for two days with only a tarp and a backpack (which one witness said looked "light") before eventually ending up at Colter Bay and then hitching a ride back to Spread Creek.

There was earlier speculation that he may have brought the tarp to Colter Bay to clean it off in the showers; I was pointing out that now, knowing the cause of death, that wouldn't make sense.

Here is why the police said they knew where Brian was when it turned out they didn't.

During a recent interview with WINK News in Florida, North Port Police Public Information Officer Josh Taylor said the department watched Laundrie leave his home on September 13 and then believed he returned home in his Ford Mustang on September 15.

However, the North Port Police Department later learned that the person in the vehicle was Brian's mother, Roberta Laundrie.

"I believe it was it was his mom who was wearing a baseball cap," Taylor told the local news station. "They had returned from the park with that Mustang. So who does that? Right? Like, if you think your son's missing since Tuesday, you're going to bring his car back to the home.

So it didn't make sense that anyone would do that if he wasn't there. So the individual getting out with a baseball cap we thought was Brian."

"They're kind of built similarly," Taylor added in regard to Brian and his mother.

A day after officials with the North Port Police Department believed Laundrie returned home, they held a press conference where Chief Todd Garrison said that "All I'm going to say is we know where Brian Laundrie is at," believing that he was still at his home in North Port.

While Bertolino previously told the FBI that Laundrie did not return home from his hike, an official missing persons report was not filed with the North Port Police Department until Friday, September 17.

"When the family reported him on Friday. That was certainly news to us that they had not seen him," Taylor said. "We thought that we'd seen Brian initially come back into that home on that Wednesday...No case is perfect
Sounds like the protesters picked the wrong spot to protest...

I know there's a lot of people who believe GP died on Aug 27, but now that we know cause of death was strangulation, the idea that BL hiked up to Colter Bay with a tarp to "clean up" just doesn't seem to fit logically anymore. What would BL (a guy who admitted to LE that he regularly tracked dirt into the van) have been so intent upon "cleaning up" if there wasn't blood or gunpowder residue involved? And why--if he just freaked out and took off on foot--would he bring the tarp along? And why hang around the area (with the van just yards from GP's body) for two more days? I know folks on here have said that they think the hitchhiking stories were to establish alibis, but if anything, those stories helped narrow down exactly where the van--and GP's remains--were located. He also didn't bother to try to establish any alibis during the trip back or once he arrived in FL, so his reversal from chatty guy who talks about his gf to going completely silent obviously came sometime after being dropped off in Spread Creek on the 29th.

I still think the date that makes more sense is Aug 29 -- that after he gets back from hiking/hitchhiking that GP confronts him about deserting her (possibly without a phone or keys) for the day when she was supposed to be meeting up with a friend. He kills her, he freaks out, shoves everything in the van, and doesn't stop driving until he gets home.

MOO
That is my opinion too MOO

I do not think that Roberta and BL are built alike.
NPPD made a costly assumption.
JT says they thought it was BL because wtte - Who brings home the car their missing son drove away in?
Well, now we know.
The Ls did that, apparently because there was a warning ticket on the car that it would be towed away if not removed.

This case just gets weirder and weirder!
jmho

Oh dear. Built alike? Did they observe the person get out of the car and walk into the house? I'm no detective but they aren't built alike --- but they also don't have a similar gait.

This is pretty much what I've said from the start, as well, because in my head it makes the most sense. Although, I also think about the fact that he could have hiked from SC to CB in 6 hours, which opens up a lot of windows of opportunities for date/time, imo. I just think it's hard to believe he camped for two nights along the river with only a tarp and long sleeves and it was getting down to 33 degrees.

When BL was still missing, I always thought to myself that if he went out and killed himself, it would support the behavior like you describe (running with the van immediately after killing GP), desperate and impulsive. If he was hiding and being supported, the whole hiking for an alibi and hitchhikking back while lying to his riders seemed to fit more. IDK... I'm no expert on anything, though. I still keep an open mind on all scenarios between late 27th and very early 30th (since FBI asks for witnesses at SC during that timeframe).
I just had a thought. He SAID that he hiked to CBV, but we don't have any evidence of that. Maybe he hitchhiked to CBV! We have no information about anyone seeing him there except Miranda who picked him up there on his way back to SC. Just because we don't have info, doesn't mean that no one notified FBI, though. It just wasn't on social media. FBI may know exactly how he got there and what he did while he was there. jmo

I can't figure out the PR position with NPPD. JT gives casual interviews to BEntin, answers questions, digs a deeper hole.

PR 101 CONTROL the conversation. IF JT would get a trim, do up some visual timelines, stand behind a podium and act like he knows what happened, do the talking and limit the questions.

Currently. Moo...he's reading Twitter, news, social media and trying to incorporate answers for mistakes.

I can say this after 40 plus in PR with healthcare, I've not seen JTs technique used.

All Moo....

First MOO

OMG, can this whole case get any more bizarre! Someone needs to take away that shovel that NPPD is using to dig their hole even deeper. Right in front of RL is the difference in build. Wow!

We'll likely never know. I've speculated that maybe she'd had enough after than incident and said she wanted to break up with him. I think his ego was fractured enough, and his behavior controlling enough that something like that would send him into a rage-- even if she just said, "This isn't going to work if you keep acting like that."
I'm almost certain there are people who were at the restaurant who know exactly what he was upset about. Whether that information will ever be released is the question.

I'm almost certain there are people who were at the restaurant who know exactly what he was upset about. Whether that information will ever be released is the question.
I agree.
From the Merry Piglets insta:
Login • Instagram
bbm
merrypiglets
Yes, we can confirm Gabby and Brian were in Merry Piglets. We have not deleted any comments or messages on social media. The screen shots you see were direct messages to our account and not public. We have already notified the FBI and they are aware. We are letting them do their jobs and we are respecting Gabby's family and have nothing further to comment.

jmho

I can't figure out the PR position with NPPD. JT gives casual interviews to BEntin, answers questions, digs a deeper hole.

PR 101 CONTROL the conversation. IF JT would get a trim, do up some visual timelines, stand behind a podium and act like he knows what happened, do the talking and limit the questions.

Currently. Moo...he's reading Twitter, news, social media and trying to incorporate answers for mistakes.

I can say this after 40 plus in PR with healthcare, I've not seen JTs technique used.

All Moo....
JMO but ever since 9/17 when BL was reported missing, JT has been lashing out. I think he was taken completely by surprise by the disappearance (which shouldn't have happened, but that's beating a dead horse) and he has been lashing out defensively -- speaking to many different media outlets about how unfair the public backlash was when everyone found out they hadn't had eyes on BL despite saying they knew where he was. He's not really acting in the best interest of the community or the NPPD in my opinion when he speaks out like this -- it seems more like his priority is to defend himself. JMO, MOO, etc.

MOO

i do think it happened on the 27th, but still projection based on his level of behavior at the restaurant.... nothing more. So I really do want to hear other well founded thoughts of why other dates might be the date of the actual killing.

So I am not sure how you are concluding the following: I do not comprehend.

. He also didn't bother to try to establish any alibis during the trip back or once he arrived in FL, so his reversal to chatty guy who talks about his gf to going completely silent obviously came sometime after being dropped off in Spread Creek on the 29th.

Is it possible someone flirted with her?
I do t think the bill was the issue. or the food!
To me this is the only thing to cause that kind of agitation! Did she look at someone?
Smile?
I know this was a trigger in my abusive relationship!

Very possible! She was a beautiful young lady I'm sure she received a lot of positive attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucysmom20