Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a deep dive into attorney-client privilege and how it applies when representing multiple related clients.

Clearly, I am not a lawyer, and I understand that the law can be interpreted in many different ways. You'd probably be surprised at the arguments made over things that appear to be pretty black and white.

First, the law does allow attorney-client privilege for legal advice given to potential clients when the attorney is "acting" as an attorney and giving legal advice, even if the client does not end up hiring the attorney. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but in general any conversations SB had with BL, CL, & RL regarding their options is likely covered.

While representing multiple clients on the same matter is allowed, it is not encouraged. There are numerous risks to attorneys attempting to represent multiple parties, especially defendants.

ABA Model Rule 1.7 allows attorneys to represent one or more clients as long as the clients “are not directly adverse to each other” and “there is no significant risk that the representation of one or more clients will be limited by the attorney's responsibilities to another client, former client, third person or personal interest of the lawyer.”

The issue I see, and an attorney can correct me if I'm wrong, is that BL, CL & RL would not have been receiving legal advice on the same matter.

CL & RL were not on the trip. Any information they have regarding events that occurred during the trip would have come from BL and possibly GP, if they spoke to her before her passing. They are not, to my knowledge, POIs in the disappearance/murder of GP. They are not, to my knowledge, under investigation related to the disappearance/murder of GP. They are not co-defendants in the action regarding the fraudulent use of her bank card. There are no actions currently pending against CL & RL. Therefore, any legal advice they sought from SB would have been to determine the best course of action to protect themselves for any potential future charges/actions related to BL staying with them upon his return to Florida, if he had been found guilty on the pending charges and/or potential charges.

Since they were not on the trip, they could only testify to what BL told them upon his return, his emotional state, behaviors, etc. At the time the conversations were being held, there was no arrest warrant out for BL on any matter so they weren’t hiding a fugitive. According to SB, BL left for the hike prior to the arrest warrant being issued, so they truly didn’t assist him in avoiding the warrant. They directed LE to speak with their attorney soon as they were approached and handed him the reigns, thereby eliminating any obstruction of the investigation.

Any advice that BL sought would have been related to his potential involvement in the disappearance/murder of GP. Those are not the same circumstances.

If that was the extent of their involvement, then I’m not sure where criminal charges would come from. BUT SB has very clearly stated they have information, which leads me to believe they were involved in more detailed communications. He’s also stated there are things that he needs to work out with the FBI regarding CL & RL before any conversations can be had about what they know. Is it possible he put his clients in a worse situation by not telling them to seek their own counsel?

There are instances in which courts have maintained privilege in the presence of third parties when their presence is necessary and aids in the representation of the client, such as when the client is a minor child, needs assistance in communicating, lacks the mental capacity to understand what is being communicated, etc. (See Kevlik v. Goldstein, Rosati v. Kuzman).

However, in 2018, the Supreme Court of Colorado found that a recording of a meeting between a client and her attorney was not protected under the privilege “given the presence of third parties who were not reasonably necessary to facilitate the communication.” (See Fox v. Alfini).

In the matter of a Grand Jury Subpoena, the Court stated:

“Other jurisdictions that have considered whether a parent-child privilege exists as to communications with adult children unanimously have rejected recognition of such a privilege, often expressing doubts about the privilege, or its absence, and its actual effect on parent-child communications, or have deferred to their respective Legislatures [Note 10].”

In Paragraph 9 & 10 of the Fox opinion, the SC stated:

“In response to these after-the-fact suggestions of Fox’s diminished capacity, defendants submitted records of Fox’s social media communications after her stroke and both before and after the recorded consultation took place. In these posts, Fox stated that (1) her caregivers had told her that it was as if she had never had a stroke, ‘as great as [her] nervous system and brain are,’ and ‘it’s as if nothing . . . happened’; (2) ‘I am doing well and I will make a full recovery’; and (3) ‘They told me this morning that they expect me to make a full recovery and that I am a medical mystery because my stroke symptoms seem to have disapprared [sic].’

“The district court ultimately concluded, ‘I do not find [Fox’s] capacity diminished such that the presence of her parents was necessary to assist in the representation.’ The court thus ruled that the attorney-client privilege did not protect the recording and granted defendants’ request to compel the production of that recording.”
The SC agreed with the DC’s conclusion that Fox had provided sufficient evidence to support the claim that her diminished capacity required her parents’ presence.

BL was an adult with no apparent cognitive deficits. We see him communicating clearly with LE in the Moab videos. SB has never indicated any concern about his ability to take care of himself or make decisions. In fact, his parents trusted his judgement and thought processes so much that they weren’t overly concerned when he went on a hike in a questionable emotional state because they thought he was just clearing his mind. There’s been no indication whatsoever that he was unable to understand any conversation had with SB or anyone else. CaL gave an interview stating everything seemed fine on the camping trip and neighbors have stated they saw him cutting grass, riding bikes with his mother.

Considering the above, it doesn’t seem likely that it would be reasonably necessary for CL & RL to participate in calls between BL & SB. I think those conversations will end up coming out.

I’ve been working on this off and on and now it’s late, so I’m not sold on my proofreading. Ignore any glaring spelling or grammatical errors, I just wanted to get it posted since there’s been a lot of discussion about it

Hmmm. If it wasn't because the L's own the property, perhaps it was at the request of people who live near it. Maybe they didn't want a place for protesters to gather and continue the circus they have had tolerate for over a month. IMO.
Could be many reasons. Protesters, public disturbances, traffic disturbances.

I know, I was pointing out the article said the 12th, which was news to me.
They obviously confused the dates. The 12th was stated not in fact quoted. Further down the article:

Quote from SB

“Everyone makes mistakes,” he wrote. “But Brian and Roberta are not ‘built’ the same. Moreover, it was NPPD that put the ticket on the Mustang at the park and if they saw Brian leave on Monday in the Mustang, which is news to me, then they should have been watching the Mustang and the park starting on Monday and they would have known it was Chris and Roberta that retrieved the Mustang from the park.

Police say Brian Laundrie likely died two days after Gabby Petito went missing

ETA: Monday was the 13th Sept.

I did a deep dive into attorney-client privilege and how it applies when representing multiple related clients.

Clearly, I am not a lawyer, and I understand that the law can be interpreted in many different ways. You'd probably be surprised at the arguments made over things that appear to be pretty black and white.

First, the law does allow attorney-client privilege for legal advice given to potential clients when the attorney is "acting" as an attorney and giving legal advice, even if the client does not end up hiring the attorney. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but in general any conversations SB had with BL, CL, & RL regarding their options is likely covered.

While representing multiple clients on the same matter is allowed, it is not encouraged. There are numerous risks to attorneys attempting to represent multiple parties, especially defendants.

ABA Model Rule 1.7 allows attorneys to represent one or more clients as long as the clients “are not directly adverse to each other” and “there is no significant risk that the representation of one or more clients will be limited by the attorney's responsibilities to another client, former client, third person or personal interest of the lawyer.”

The issue I see, and an attorney can correct me if I'm wrong, is that BL, CL & RL would not have been receiving legal advice on the same matter.

CL & RL were not on the trip. Any information they have regarding events that occurred during the trip would have come from BL and possibly GP, if they spoke to her before her passing. They are not, to my knowledge, POIs in the disappearance/murder of GP. They are not, to my knowledge, under investigation related to the disappearance/murder of GP. They are not co-defendants in the action regarding the fraudulent use of her bank card. There are no actions currently pending against CL & RL. Therefore, any legal advice they sought from SB would have been to determine the best course of action to protect themselves for any potential future charges/actions related to BL staying with them upon his return to Florida, if he had been found guilty on the pending charges and/or potential charges.

Since they were not on the trip, they could only testify to what BL told them upon his return, his emotional state, behaviors, etc. At the time the conversations were being held, there was no arrest warrant out for BL on any matter so they weren’t hiding a fugitive. According to SB, BL left for the hike prior to the arrest warrant being issued, so they truly didn’t assist him in avoiding the warrant. They directed LE to speak with their attorney soon as they were approached and handed him the reigns, thereby eliminating any obstruction of the investigation.

Any advice that BL sought would have been related to his potential involvement in the disappearance/murder of GP. Those are not the same circumstances.

If that was the extent of their involvement, then I’m not sure where criminal charges would come from. BUT SB has very clearly stated they have information, which leads me to believe they were involved in more detailed communications. He’s also stated there are things that he needs to work out with the FBI regarding CL & RL before any conversations can be had about what they know. Is it possible he put his clients in a worse situation by not telling them to seek their own counsel?

There are instances in which courts have maintained privilege in the presence of third parties when their presence is necessary and aids in the representation of the client, such as when the client is a minor child, needs assistance in communicating, lacks the mental capacity to understand what is being communicated, etc. (See Kevlik v. Goldstein, Rosati v. Kuzman).

However, in 2018, the Supreme Court of Colorado found that a recording of a meeting between a client and her attorney was not protected under the privilege “given the presence of third parties who were not reasonably necessary to facilitate the communication.” (See Fox v. Alfini).

In the matter of a Grand Jury Subpoena, the Court stated:

“Other jurisdictions that have considered whether a parent-child privilege exists as to communications with adult children unanimously have rejected recognition of such a privilege, often expressing doubts about the privilege, or its absence, and its actual effect on parent-child communications, or have deferred to their respective Legislatures [Note 10].”

In Paragraph 9 & 10 of the Fox opinion, the SC stated:

“In response to these after-the-fact suggestions of Fox’s diminished capacity, defendants submitted records of Fox’s social media communications after her stroke and both before and after the recorded consultation took place. In these posts, Fox stated that (1) her caregivers had told her that it was as if she had never had a stroke, ‘as great as [her] nervous system and brain are,’ and ‘it’s as if nothing . . . happened’; (2) ‘I am doing well and I will make a full recovery’; and (3) ‘They told me this morning that they expect me to make a full recovery and that I am a medical mystery because my stroke symptoms seem to have disapprared [sic].’

“The district court ultimately concluded, ‘I do not find [Fox’s] capacity diminished such that the presence of her parents was necessary to assist in the representation.’ The court thus ruled that the attorney-client privilege did not protect the recording and granted defendants’ request to compel the production of that recording.”
The SC agreed with the DC’s conclusion that Fox had provided sufficient evidence to support the claim that her diminished capacity required her parents’ presence.

BL was an adult with no apparent cognitive deficits. We see him communicating clearly with LE in the Moab videos. SB has never indicated any concern about his ability to take care of himself or make decisions. In fact, his parents trusted his judgement and thought processes so much that they weren’t overly concerned when he went on a hike in a questionable emotional state because they thought he was just clearing his mind. There’s been no indication whatsoever that he was unable to understand any conversation had with SB or anyone else. CaL gave an interview stating everything seemed fine on the camping trip and neighbors have stated they saw him cutting grass, riding bikes with his mother.

Considering the above, it doesn’t seem likely that it would be reasonably necessary for CL & RL to participate in calls between BL & SB. I think those conversations will end up coming out.

I’ve been working on this off and on and now it’s late, so I’m not sold on my proofreading. Ignore any glaring spelling or grammatical errors, I just wanted to get it posted since there’s been a lot of discussion about it

I wonder if the L' s changing the date that they said BL was last seen could be considered impeding an investigation.

Also if the L's were in contact with BL, while he was on the run from LE, and assisted him in staying on the run, I would think they could face some sort of charges. IMO.

I don't want to minimize the potential of some hidden meaning behind his posts. However, if my "interests" and social media/browser history came under scrutiny....OMG. I'd be in major trouble. :eek:

My own mother would say I have far more than a passing interest in things that are dark to most people. Doesn't make me anything but curious. JMO
My husband always says I better hope the police never need my Netflix or Google histories lol

As indicated in the article, LE are saying that he was most likely deceased two days after GP's body was found in reference to them mistaking RL for BL.

IMO they do not know for sure when BL died (nor does anyone else at this point). That is simply an attempt to dismiss the fact that they messed up surveillance of BL. IMO.

You certainly could be correct about LE diverting/minimizing that they allowed BL to slip away, but there could be credence to suspecting BL may have perished not long after escaping to the park.

The actions of the parents appear to manifest worry for their son. (Even if they suspected or knew he was in serious trouble, it is not in a parent’s DNA to think the worst of a child.) An ordinary idea is that a parent would call their child’s name during a search. CL might have tried calling BL’s name when he searched on the 13th, weighing that BL could be off trail in the trees. Hearing nothing CL returned the next day to search for him. It’s in no way proof that BL was deceased the week of the 13th. However, the search did raise my thought that CL looking in an area of dense foliage would call his son’s name. Since the Ls were only greeted, one assumes, by silence, when BL’s remains were not that far away, LE could be correct in their comment that he may have died not long after escaping into the park.

Police say Brian Laundrie likely died two days after Gabby Petito went missing

A spokesman for the North Port police said that there was a “very good possibility” that Brian Laundrie was dead two days after Gabby Petito was reported missing.

Anthropologist examining Brian Laundrie’s remains may have results by end of November

Steven Bertolino, the attorney representing the Laundrie family, said that the results of a forensic anthropologist's examination of Brian Laundrie's remains are expected by the end of November.
Good to hear, I'd really like to know the time and cause of death. I can wait. MOO

If they weren't concerned why did they go out looking for him on the 13th and 14th, again according to SB?

who said they weren't concerned? They knew he was in the reserve. Just because they couldn't find him doesn't mean he was missing. He was there and not wanting to be found or maybe even already dead. I think what is at issue here is that we are saying "they should have reported him missing" but really meaning "they should have turned him in"

I wonder if the L' s changing the date that they said BL was last seen could be considered impeding an investigation.

Also if the L's were in contact with BL, while he was on the run from LE, and assisted him in staying on the run, I would think they could face some sort of charges. IMO.
The date change has always interested me, especially now that SB claims he's the one that initially told FBI and did so on the same day or following morning. You would think he would have confirmed that before agreeing to any information on a missing person report.

As far as communicating with the parents, I'm starting to believe he really didn't have any after he went on the hike.

who said they weren't concerned? They knew he was in the reserve. Just because they couldn't find him doesn't mean he was missing. He was there and not wanting to be found or maybe even already dead. I think what is at issue here is that we are saying "they should have reported him missing" but really meaning "they should have turned him in"
He wasn't even a POI at that time, so what would they have turned him in for?

You certainly could be correct about LE diverting/minimizing that they allowed BL to slip away, but there could be credence to suspecting BL may have perished not long after escaping to the park.

The actions of the parents appear to manifest worry for their son. (Even if they suspected or knew he was in serious trouble, it is not in a parent’s DNA to think the worst of a child.) An ordinary idea is that a parent would call their child’s name during a search. CL might have tried calling BL’s name when he searched on the 13th, weighing that BL could be off trail in the trees. Hearing nothing CL returned the next day to search for him. It’s in no way proof that BL was deceased the week of the13th. However, the search did raise my thought that CL looking in an area of dense foliage would call his son’s name. Since the Ls were only greeted, one assumes, by silence, when BL’s remains were not that far away, LE could be correct in their comment that he may have died not long after escaping into the park.

I remain skeptical and think the only reason they stated he could have been deceased within that time period is because they were shrugging off the responsibility of letting him out of their sight. Especially after it had been stated to MSM that they "knew where he was."
IMO, they were saying it didn't matter that he disappeared because he was probably dead anyway. When in reality, no one knows when he died and won't know until further testing has been completed. Who knows if it will ever be determined. It's all part of their excuse and a lame attempt to end further public speculation of shoddy police work . IMO.

He wasn't even a POI at that time, so what would they have turned him in for?
Maybe stealing Gabby's van? His parents could have known that it wasn't BL's van, that it was legally Gabby's.
MOO

SB literally said in an earlier statement they didn't become concerned until 24-48 hours later, which is a direct contradiction to later statements. Honestly, I think the earlier statement was an attempt to shrug off the seriousness of the situation. If CL went to look on the 13th, which I don't believe was for 4 hours based on Fox 13's broadcasts that evening, and they went back the 14th and again on the 15th to get the car, that seems to imply some level of concern. However, he left his wallet and his phone and no longer had a vehicle to return home in and they didn't go back on the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st or 22nd. That kind of implies a lesser level of concern when it should have been growing.

When SB was asked why CL hadnt participated in the search efforts earlier on, he commented something along the lines of the park had been closed to the public and he hadn't been able to search after that first time, but the park was open to the public until 9/23. There was time.

I don't know exactly when the flooding started, but it seems counterintuitive to go to the park 3 days in a row, remove his transportation, and then not return despite not hearing from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1