Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

I may be wrong, but I don't think it was a matter of the divers not looking in the right place. The divers weren't there for much of the search and when they were there, I don't think it was "to look for" anything.

I think the divers were there to recover stuff that other methods of detection had already found. For example, a metal detector might locate a submerged gun or maybe a phone (although it's always been unclear to me what good it would do to find a phone that spent weeks submerged in water or even exposed to weeks of rain.) Or the divers might have been called on to recover a suspected submerged body cadaver dogs found or a suspected submerged body shown on some sort of sonar. I don't think the divers were just diving anywhere that looked promising. I'm also not sure if "diving" is quite the right word. Even 1-2 ft of water could make areas largely inaccessible but that amount of water doesn't support diving.
JMO
That’s not how I read the article. I only copied a small piece per the 10% rule.
I think it would be reasonable to assume they searched the area and frequently used trail which CL had been telling LE about since the beginning, as per SB. As it was widely reported to be underwater until the reserve reopened, and apparently not re-searched, I wonder if the “divers” “ searched that area.

That’s not how I read the article. I only copied a small piece per the 10% rule.
I think it would be reasonable to assume they searched the area and frequently used trail which CL had been telling LE about since the beginning, as per SB. As it was widely reported to be underwater until the reserve reopened, and apparently not re-searched, I wonder if the “divers” “ searched that area.

Well you could be right. But you quoted this official statement about the divers:

"These divers are specifically trained and very talented in low visibility bodies of water," Perez said. "They dive down where you and I can't see anything at all. They utilize technology and other special equipment to help them get down deep into really deep bodies of water, so they're out there right now to recover whatever it is that they might find."

First, diving in a seasonally-flooded swamp like the one in this search would be an entirely different experience from diving into the "really deep bodies of water" the above quote mentions. It would seem different skills and equipment would be needed.

And second, the last sentence in the quote is confusing because the referent for the last "they" is unclear. But to me the statement is saying, "we find it, the divers recover it." So if there is blame to be assigned, it's not on the divers. But that's JMO.

Something really insignificant is bothering me today.

If you google directions from Spread Creek or Grand Teton National Park, WY to North Port, FL, it always directs you up to Moran and east on Hwy. 287. It is 35 hours. It does not direct you through Jackson. If you google directions to North Port, FL from Jackson, specifically, then it takes you south on Hwy. 191, which is 36 hours (1 hour longer plus the 37 minutes from Spread Creek to Jackson).

If BL googled directions back to North Port (who knows if he did), then if he did if from anywhere near Spread Creek, it likely would not have sent him through Jackson. If he had a full tank of gas (like if they had filled the tank in Jackson on the 27th), he could maybe get to Laramie at the farthest (about 350 miles), less than 6 hours away. Or he could have filled up anywhere along the way.

I don't really have a point here, other than curios ramblings. Just milling around while considering rumored sightings, text messages, and other dates...

Have you tried the route on Waze or other mapping apps that collect data on car accidents/delays/police, etc?

I truly think the reason he came back to Florida was to say goodbye to his family. He pretended nothing was wrong because he wanted to be remembered in a positive light. Otherwise he would have just took off from Wyoming. Also i think it's very simple, his usual beatings went too far this time and he couldn't face everyone or even himself knowing what he had done

I have to disagree. I dont think Gabby was afraid of Brian at all.

Well you could be right. But you quoted this official statement about the divers:

"These divers are specifically trained and very talented in low visibility bodies of water," Perez said. "They dive down where you and I can't see anything at all. They utilize technology and other special equipment to help them get down deep into really deep bodies of water, so they're out there right now to recover whatever it is that they might find."

First, diving in a seasonally-flooded swamp like the one in this search would be an entirely different experience from diving into the "really deep bodies of water" the above quote mentions. It would seem different skills and equipment would be needed.

And second, the last sentence in the quote is confusing because the referent for the last "they" is unclear. But to me the statement is saying, "we find it, the divers recover it." So if there is blame to be assigned, it's not on the divers. But that's JMO.
Yes, I wasn’t able to quote full article per the 10% rule, I believe it pertains to copyright issues. Click the link and read the whole thing. I quoted the portion to establish via MSM reports( for the TOS here) that divers and equipment were there on 9/22/21. Starting on day 4 of search iirc. Logically, to me anyway, if CL had been cooperating since the beginning and had told LE about BL’s fav trails, it seems like this one-the ONLY one the Ls needed to head to in their “search”, would have been examined by divers and/or their equipment on 9/22/21, by whatever method their expertise deemed necessary.

As I understand it, GP’s registration and license are from the same state, Florida. No link for now, so moo. If I get a chance I will search and add screen shot of GP DL and statement about van registration. The question quoted above was speculation as to the street address on those docs not matching, jmo per the conversation we were having. Also the Moab police did ask GP about her address in the Moab video. We can only speculate as to why.
All jmo.

ETA- link to screen grab of GP’s FL DL from Moab footage

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

too late to edit in a link to quoted post.
Here is the Moab police report with GP vehicle info

Petito Redacted | PDF | Criminal Law | Crime & Violence

Let's keep in mind that BL's body was discovered when flood waters receded a little - IOW, it was in a shallow spot. Divers don't go into shallow pools. It was probably difficult to search every flooded area (although I bet they tried various techniques, including water collection). For some reason, they focused mainly on the northern part of the preserve, miles away from where he was eventually found. They probably found some evidence of human DNA in some pond up there.

Divers are trained to find bodies that have naturally sunk to the bottom of a body of water - sounds as if that's not the case here. To me, it sounds like BL may have been at the edge of a shallow pond when he died. The reports of the "decomposed skull" make me think it might have been a gunshot to the head (speculation), and that is why a certain type of forensic anthropologist was called in (to reconstruct all the pieces, including the smallest ones). Since it's taking so long, I am guessing there were perhaps shards and small fragments.

It's not at all uncommon for young men to commit suicide near a body of water. In this case, it is odd that he wasn't found by his parents. That makes me think that the pond was deep enough originally to conceal him, but not deep enough for divers to be very useful. I'm trying to think what modern tech could be useful in that type of situation (people used to use poles with hooks on them, but that could damage a body, so it is mostly not used these days). I think that first storm came in on the second night he was out there.

I am not sure how many times they had cadaver dogs out there, but the times I am aware of, they were all well north of where BL was found.

Ok, what the halibut? Apparently the natural order of nature escapes her? As in human remains + swamp + wildlife = nothing else is likely to be found.

More than "the natural order of nature escapes her," she is wearing shorts while doing this in an area infested with ticks and mosquitos, poisonous snakes and much, much more!

I often wondered about the snowbirds who spent their winters in Florida and how they handle the change of address during the winter months. The Florida home would be considered a 2nd home not a permanent home, so it's something I've thought about myself.

How does one get their mail when they are away from their primary residence? That could be so confusing. Then you have a out of state drivers license, what do you do? But then this question could apply to any where in the country too.
You just forward mail or have it held at your home post office. Or you could have someone pick it up from your usual box and then package it up and send it. It’s not hard!

IMO it does become an important issue because of car insurance requirements. What was her address to obtain car insurance?

Usually you need change insurance before changing registration and new DL, so that you’re in compliance with your state’s insurance requirements. It only takes a phone call (assuming you’re with a company that insures in both states) and adjustment to coverage/premium, if needed.
Car Insurance When Moving States: Everything You Need To Know

Let's keep in mind that BL's body was discovered when flood waters receded a little - IOW, it was in a shallow spot. Divers don't go into shallow pools. It was probably difficult to search every flooded area (although I bet they tried various techniques, including water collection). For some reason, they focused mainly on the northern part of the preserve, miles away from where he was eventually found. They probably found some evidence of human DNA in some pond up there.

Divers are trained to find bodies that have naturally sunk to the bottom of a body of water - sounds as if that's not the case here. To me, it sounds like BL may have been at the edge of a shallow pond when he died. The reports of the "decomposed skull" make me think it might have been a gunshot to the head (speculation), and that is why a certain type of forensic anthropologist was called in (to reconstruct all the pieces, including the smallest ones). Since it's taking so long, I am guessing there were perhaps shards and small fragments.

It's not at all uncommon for young men to commit suicide near a body of water. In this case, it is odd that he wasn't found by his parents. That makes me think that the pond was deep enough originally to conceal him, but not deep enough for divers to be very useful. I'm trying to think what modern tech could be useful in that type of situation (people used to use poles with hooks on them, but that could damage a body, so it is mostly not used these days). I think that first storm came in on the second night he was out there.

I am not sure how many times they had cadaver dogs out there, but the times I am aware of, they were all well north of where BL was found.
More on my mind, is the fact that SB has claimed the Ls gave this location - a favored trail of BL, hiked together with CL- to LE since the beginning of the search. According LE, it was not searched due to flooding. According to LE, they brought in experts to examine areas under water. It defies logic to me, with any methods available, archaic hooks to modern technology, why this area was not searched. The prevailing argument that one of the main trails identified by the Laundries was too deep in water to be searched, but not deep enough to be examined by the water experts, is illogical. Then add to it your argument about suicides near bodies of water, I’m sure backed by research and statistics, the fact that LE did NOT search an area which was submerged, yet identified by the parents, makes even less sense to me.

The final illogic , to me, is once the water covering the trail identified by the Ls, had receded, it was not searched before the reserve was opened.

so let’s review:
1. Ls tell LE trail(s) to search
2. Fav trail hiked with Dad underwater, LE says they can’t search it
3. Fav train hiked with Dad underwater, but not deep enough to warrant water experts to take a gander, LE doesn’t search it.
4. Water recedes a bit LE doesn’t search now visible trail.
5 Park reopens and Ls go to their “first” trail and immediately find their son.

defies logic. IMO.

ETA typo

Last edited:

Interesting post

I wonder if the reason for being so far north for much of the search was that they saw that other guy they picked up on trail cams farther north. IMO he did resemble BL...At least alot more than RL does!
JMO

Did mahsa just say that she didn’t think the fort de Soto camping trip was odd?!

More on my mind, is the fact that SB has claimed the Ls gave this location - a favored trail of BL, hiked together with CL- to LE since the beginning of the search. According LE, it was not searched due to flooding. According to LE, they brought in experts to examine areas under water. It defies logic to me, with any methods available, archaic hooks to modern technology, why this area was not searched. The prevailing argument that one of the main trails identified by the Laundries was too deep in water to be searched, but not deep enough to be examined by the water experts, is illogical. Then add to it your argument about suicides near bodies of water, I’m sure backed by research and statistics, the fact that LE did NOT search an area which was submerged, yet identified by the parents, makes even less sense to me.

The final illogic , to me, is once the water covering the trail identified by the Ls, had receded, it was not searched before the reserve was opened.

so let’s review:
1. Ls tell LE trail(s) to search
2. Fav trail hiked with Dad underwater, LE says they can’t search it
3. Fav train hiked with Dad underwater, but not deep enough to warrant water experts to take a gander, LE doesn’t search it.
4. Water recedes a bit LE doesn’t search now visible trail.
5 Park reopens and Ls go to their “first” trail and immediately find their son.

defies logic. IMO.

ETA typo

It does indeed. Good summary.

Interesting post

I wonder if the reason for being so far north for much of the search was that they saw that other guy they picked up on trail cams farther north. IMO he did resemble BL...At least alot more than RL does!
JMO

That makes more sense than anything else I've heard.

I often wondered about the snowbirds who spent their winters in Florida and how they handle the change of address during the winter months. The Florida home would be considered a 2nd home not a permanent home, so it's something I've thought about myself.

How does one get their mail when they are away from their primary residence? That could be so confusing. Then you have a out of state drivers license, what do you do? But then this question could apply to any where in the country too.
If you have more than one home, you can generally choose which home is primary. In many cases, it would be financially beneficial to live in Florida for 50.1% of the year and count the Florida home as primary due to Florida's lower taxes. As long as your drivers license matches the state of the primary home, you don't need to change ID's and registrations when you go back and forth. Taxes can get complicated, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4