Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

Personally, I think the Laundries should be held responsible for as many things as Florida deems (and I'm usually 100% against letting Florida make decisions) prosecutable. There aren't any excuses for not going to the police. Florida even has a law for dragging your adult child in to the authorities if you believe they may have committed a crime. If they had handed him over on the 11th, he'd still be alive today.

Wow. Florida sounds like a very weird place. I'm surprised anywhere in the US has made it a crime to fail to turn in someone to the police. I guess that law hasn't been tested in court if that's what it really says. Sounds more like the stories children used to be told about Communist countries like the USSR where informing was required.

Again, if the Laundries are charged with a crime because they somehow "allowed" B to kill himself, then anyone who has had a family member or close friend commit suicide is a potential criminal. That seems nuts. And we most certainly do not know BL would be alive today if they had "handed him over" on the 11th. He wasn't wanted for any crime on the 11th so I don't see how B, as an adult, could have been "handed over" to anyone. And if he had been, how he could have been held (or does Florida allow citizens to be jailed without charges too?) And even if he'd been held, it's not unheard of for people in jail to successfully commit suicide. People who are determined to die can be pretty persistent. It may help to demonize the L's to claim B would be alive if they'd done things differently but we don't know and can't know if that's true.
JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
quick question for those still following this thread. I was here up until the remains were identified as Brian. At that point I resigned myself to the fact there were many answer I won't ever get. What would give you all, my fellow members, closure in this case? Usually we get prosecution, a trial, a verdict, etc. Those things all usually help people move forward/on. But in this case, we have a victim, a suspect, both dead. In a long drawn out apparent murder/suicide situation.

I see some saying where's the gun? I questioned that too. More than likely buried in mud and muck or stuck beneath some debris or storm damage. If the gun were found would that give people closure? Somehow I doubt it. Those who theorize that the L family helped hide him, were in contact with him while missing, etc. will never move from that theory. So what brings closure for those folks? There will be no prosecution of the L family for their lack of cooperation while Gabby was missing. So what else?

I am not being snarky, just genuinely curious about my fellow members and what will offer them closure.

For me, something more of his remains, not just part of his skull.

Can anyone explain why the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office would be included in the statement below? I understand that the federal land GP was found on is within Teton Co., but would the Teton Co., Prosecutor handle anything legal specific to this case, instead of the US District Attorney? Was there criminal activity unrelated to the unauthorized use charges that happened outside of federal land but within Teton Co.?

"Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorney’s Office and the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office."

"The family was asked to not comment and let the FBI continue their investigation and allow the United States Attorney’s Office make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged," Stafford said.

Brian Laundrie update: Gabby Petito’s family attorney hints at charges against ‘additional individuals’

Wow. Florida sounds like a very weird place. I'm surprised anywhere in the US has made it a crime to fail to turn in someone to the police. I guess that law hasn't been tested in court if that's what it really says. Sounds more like the stories children used to be told about Communist countries like the USSR where informing was required.

Again, if the Laundries are charged with a crime because they somehow "allowed" B to kill himself, then anyone who has had a family member or close friend commit suicide is a potential criminal. That seems nuts. And we most certainly do not know BL would be alive today if they had "handed him over" on the 11th. He wasn't wanted for any crime on the 11th so I don't see how B, as an adult, could have been "handed over" to anyone. And if he had been, how he could have been held (or does Florida allow citizens to be jailed without charges too?) And even if he'd been held, it's not unheard of for people in jail to successfully commit suicide. People who are determined to die can be pretty persistent. It may help to demonize the L's to claim B would be alive if they'd done things differently but we don't know and can't know if that's true.
JMO

Yes, Florida is a very weird state. However I am inclined to think the only reason we have the laws that we do is precisely because the vast majority of Floridians - myself included - were born and raised in other states. Consequently, we far outweight the "native Floridians". That, plus the fact we have no state taxes down here and we get a very high number of people from out of state coming down here this time of year.

MOO but BL's parents made a huge failure in not turning him in to the police when he came come with HER van which was HER property and she was nowhere to be found. It's like they cared nothing about her, only about him. L's only cared about their precious son.

My instinct tells me this is not the last of the case despite the latest from the MSM.

So. The question. Why run home to commit suicide?

He kills her on 31st. Then runs home, pretends nothing happened. Then the missing person is filed, then he commits suicide. Meanwhile, pretending to be completely innocent. Why?

I don't get it. If he wanted to go home to live the rest of his life, why not dump her in the 3,000 mile trip home? Why not a random dumpster in x big city. Why not the middle of nowhere? Nope left her 800 feet from their last confirmed camping spot. He saw dozens and dozens of people and they saw him. He knew that they would find her.

Just does not make any sense. If he had regret in killing her, then he would turn himself in or kill self at the original scene.

He acted like he almost did not know she was dead, until after she turned up missing.
He did know she was dead because he stole her van and credit cards...knew she wouldn't need them.

Not surprised about the manner and cause of death since we all knew BL had taken a gun with him to the forest.

Oh boy, I hate to highlight this, but it does make me wonder about the evidence found with Gabby OR if they are speaking about after the fact:

"“Gabby’s family will not be making a statement at this time due to the request of the United States Attorney’s Office and the Teton County Prosecutor’s Office. The family was asked to not make any comments and let the FBI continue their investigation,” the statement read. “The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney’s Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged. When that determination is made, we will have a statement.”"
Brian Laundrie died of self-inflicted gunshot wound, medical examiner confirms | WGN-TV

So it seems until the USAttorney's Office makes a determination on whether to charge additional individuals, the possibilities still remain:
1. BL killed Gabby.
2. Someone attacked BL and Gabby or just Gabby and killed her and BL fled.
3. Someone collaborated with BL in killing Gabby.

Or

4. The authorities are still considering charging BL's parents with something they did in the aftermath of Gabby's death.

Whatever happened, the end result is BL committed suicide.
1 and 4 IMO.

The District 12 Medical Examiner said weeks after returning home to North Port without Petito, Laundrie took his own life by putting a gun to his head, and pulling the trigger.

The news comes more than a month after search crews found his remains at the Carlton Reserve. Neither the FBI or North Port Police have said whether they recovered the gun.

“If they are saying gunshot wound to the head and suicide, and we don’t have a firearm at that scene, we have a big issue,” Program Coordinator of the Forensic Studies and Justice Program at USF Peter Massey said. “We have to account for this firearm.”

USF forensics expert discusses Laundrie autopsy, if gun was recovered | WFLA

The District 12 Medical Examiner said weeks after returning home to North Port without Petito, Laundrie took his own life by putting a gun to his head, and pulling the trigger.

The news comes more than a month after search crews found his remains at the Carlton Reserve. Neither the FBI or North Port Police have said whether they recovered the gun.

“If they are saying gunshot wound to the head and suicide, and we don’t have a firearm at that scene, we have a big issue,” Program Coordinator of the Forensic Studies and Justice Program at USF Peter Massey said. “We have to account for this firearm.”

USF forensics expert discusses Laundrie autopsy, if gun was recovered | WFLA

BBM

Yes indeed they do.

Many crimes of passion end in accidental murders. No one is likely taking the time to 'evaluate' while they are in the mindset of choking someone out. At the end of the day, maybe he didn't mean to kill her, but he DID and that's really all that matters.

But as some have speculated, IMO if GP fam pushes for posthumous murder conviction, that's even more of a waste of resources and time. Writing is on the wall here. It's not necessary to continue beating the horse. Won't change a single thing for anyone. Zero. MOO
To you it is a waste of time. To her family it may not be. MOO.

Brian had to say goodbye to his family. See the fear and despair in thier eyes. Hear them pleading with him to stay. Know just how much he hurt them. He chose to walk away and not accept thier help. He chose not to drag them through a trial.

He died alone. Perhaps very painfully and slowly. The emotional pain he must have felt to do such a thing is unimaginable.

I don't think he was a coward. I don't think he was trying to escape public shame. I think he was in too much pain to think clearly or continue to live. Maybe he felt he deserved to die. Or both. Either way, he fully paid. RIP.

MOO
Sorry if I don't care about them. He and his parents made Gabby and her parents suffer IMO. And no, he did not 'fully pay'. Gabby's life was worth more than what he did.

<modsnip>

Personally, I think the Laundries should be held responsible for as many things as Florida deems (and I'm usually 100% against letting Florida make decisions) prosecutable. There aren't any excuses for not going to the police. Florida even has a law for dragging your adult child in to the authorities if you believe they may have committed a crime. If they had handed him over on the 11th, he'd still be alive today.

bbm
Are you able to tell me more about this?

Brian had to say goodbye to his family. See the fear and despair in thier eyes. Hear them pleading with him to stay. Know just how much he hurt them. He chose to walk away and not accept thier help. He chose not to drag them through a trial.

He died alone. Perhaps very painfully and slowly. The emotional pain he must have felt to do such a thing is unimaginable.

I don't think he was a coward. I don't think he was trying to escape public shame. I think he was in too much pain to think clearly or continue to live. Maybe he felt he deserved to die. Or both. Either way, he fully paid. RIP.

MOO
I strongly disagree. He should have been publicly shamed as the coward he was. Strangling the life out of a girl much smaller than he. And IMO he did not 'have' to say goodbye to anyone. He did not give Gabby or her family any chance of goodbyes. Gabby died alone too, far from home.MOO

Last edited:
You can very much accidentally strangle someone. You can even do it to yourself.

Unexpected delayed death after manual strangulation: need for careful examination in the emergency room - PubMed
Delayed airway obstruction and neck abscess following manual strangulation injury - PubMed
Health Issues Result from Strangulation

A simple push, hit, or shove to the throat can cause enough damage to cause swelling and death. An this may takes weeks and months depending on person. It can be delayed a long time if over the counter anti inflammation pills, like ibuprofen or Tylenol.

I am stating this as science fact and not saying this is what happened to anyone. Any talk about this happening to a specific person is against forum rules.
this has been gone over and isn't open for discussion, as stated at the beginning of each thread.

Hi, and thank you. It's not painting a monster in a sympathetic light, nor is it victim-shaming. It is what it is. The reality of it is that the media constantly distorts ordinary people to sell their story. A soon-to-be-wedded couple travels the country together, and somehow at the end of it all we have a narcissistic male who premeditated his fiancee's murder all along. Or, at least that's what the script is--the script that's making profits, that is. That doesn't even make any sense.
This is not the media's fault. It is the fault of an immature and selfish young man who murdered his girlfriend and because he wanted to marry means nothing if you understand domestic violence.MOO.

I strongly disagree. He should have been publicly shamed as the coward he was. Strangling the life out of a girl much smaller than he. MOO.
For what purpose? To appease the bloodthirst of the crowd? To try and make him suffer more? I personally don't think he could have suffered any more than he did, but just MO.

What would trying to make him suffer more actually accomplish?

For what purpose? To appease the bloodthirst of the crowd? To try and make him suffer more? I personally don't think he could have suffered any more than he did, but just MO.

What would trying to make him suffer more actually accomplish?

I just wonder why anyone would think he should NOT suffer. He committed a terrible crime.

Many crimes of passion end in accidental murders. No one is likely taking the time to 'evaluate' while they are in the mindset of choking someone out. At the end of the day, maybe he didn't mean to kill her, but he DID and that's really all that matters.

But as some have speculated, IMO if GP fam pushes for posthumous murder conviction, that's even more of a waste of resources and time. Writing is on the wall here. It's not necessary to continue beating the horse. Won't change a single thing for anyone. Zero. MOO

I agree about a posthumous prosecution. And luckily her grieving family won't be making that decision. Many families emotionally may want to punish potential perpetrators after death but fortunately our criminal justice system is not set up to do that nor should it be.

Families can try to get money from the presumed perpetrator's estate through a civil suit. But the idea we should clog up our criminal courts even more than they already are to try dead defendants seems ludicrous.

Does anyone have a link that documents the Petitos are actually pushing for a posthumous prosecution? That notion pretty much flies in the face of the stated purpose of their foundation work--- that work is future oriented with resources dedicated to future prevention. Why spend resources for a pointless prosecution for a past crime? (And it's not as though a trial would be a cake walk for her family. Undoubtedly they'd hear things they'd probably rather not hear. Unlike WS, courts aren't designed to be especially "victim friendly.")

JMO

Sorry if I don't care about them. He and his parents made Gabby and her parents suffer IMO. And no, he did not 'fully pay'. Gabby's life was worth more than what he did.
What would be enough?

There is no way he could make it right or suffer enough to satisfy those who loved Gabby. Dead and done is enough.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member