Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Gabby's parents have stuck a wrench in any monies being paid out to BL's parents. If they haven't yet, they need to have any assets frozen. MOO

Snipped from article:

"The estate will consist of Brian’s assets and liabilities," Rahmani told Fox News Digital. "Any civil wrongful death lawsuit by Gabby’s parents would be filed against Brian’s estate."

Brian Laundrie's parents file petition in Florida to access his estate

Hopefully Gabby's parents have stuck a wrench in any monies being paid out to BL's parents. If they haven't yet, they need to have any assets frozen. MOO

Snipped from article:

"The estate will consist of Brian’s assets and liabilities," Rahmani told Fox News Digital. "Any civil wrongful death lawsuit by Gabby’s parents would be filed against Brian’s estate."

Brian Laundrie's parents file petition in Florida to access his estate

I don't really know why they'd bother. It would seem filing suit would be a "cut off your nose to spite your face" move as there is so little that could be recovered. And it could make them look petty. If the family intends for the foundation work to be their full-time work as it appears, looking petty won't help their work IMO.

"In terms of what makes up Brian’s estate, Chris and Roberta Laundrie are estimating the final value of his belongings to be $20,000 in Bank of America checking and savings accounts. The filing reported that Brian did not have an indebted estate, and no creditors had filed claims for portions of his proprety."

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-new...orida-court-to-let-them-take-over-his-estate/

I suppose it's possible the estate could be worth more than $20K but I doubt it. We know he didn't own a car and no records of real estate holdings have shown up.

JMO

If Brian had 20k in his own account why did he steal the money out of Gabby's account?
He may not have had access to it. It depends on what type of account he had and if he had a debit or credit card attached to that account.

I probably will get smited for this but I'm just imagining the alligator trying a piece of Brian and being like "Ick...this guy doesn't taste right, moving on..."
@Laura456 No smiting from me.
Kinda like the cannibals sitting down at dinner, eating a clown. One says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Seriously, back to GP and BL. Sad, sad, sad.

If Brian had 20k in his own account why did he steal the money out of Gabby's account?

I believe that the most likely explanation is that the $20k was ‘his’ money, and therefore should be saved—so the money in Gabby’s account should be spent first.

I think it’s also quite likely that he had vague ideas of laying a trail that led away from the place that she actually died. Perhaps his story was going to be that they drove home together, and then broke up. She’d still be missing, but LE could search for a very long time in Florida.... and then it became clear to him, or someone pointed out to him, that that story wasn’t going to be believed....

MOO and speculation

I believe that the most likely explanation is that the $20k was ‘his’ money, and therefore should be saved—so the money in Gabby’s account should be spent first.

I think it’s also quite likely that he had vague ideas of laying a trail that led away from the place that she actually died. Perhaps his story was going to be that they drove home together, and then broke up. She’d still be missing, but LE could search for a very long time in Florida.... and then it became clear to him, or someone pointed out to him, that that story wasn’t going to be believed....

MOO and speculation

As soon as she was found, he knew there was no escape by lying.

I remember reading about Ivan the Terrible having these intense anger flare ups where once he even killed his son. During these bouts of anger, he was not fully aware of what he was doing, and any little thing could set him off.

This could be the case with Brian, where he came to and was like "Oh crap! What did I do?" He didn't try and hide Gabby or cover up the scene, just high tailed it out of there. He was probably under such stress that he maybe didn't think through how using the card would have bad consequences.

Moral 1: If you have anger issues, get help asap before you hurt someone

Moral 2: If your partner has anger issues and is not getting help, run like the wind. Easier said than done, obviously.

Moral 3: We as a society should educate people better about mental health difficulties and frame it as their civic duty to get help if they feel they are might hurt themselves or others

As soon as she was found, he knew there was no escape by lying.

I remember reading about Ivan the Terrible having these intense anger flare ups where once he even killed his son. During these bouts of anger, he was not fully aware of what he was doing, and any little thing could set him off.

This could be the case with Brian, where he came to and was like "Oh crap! What did I do?" He didn't try and hide Gabby or cover up the scene, just high tailed it out of there. He was probably under such stress that he maybe didn't think through how using the card would have bad consequences.

Moral 1: If you have anger issues, get help asap before you hurt someone

Moral 2: If your partner has anger issues and is not getting help, run like the wind. Easier said than done, obviously.

Moral 3: We as a society should educate people better about mental health difficulties and frame it as their civic duty to get help if they feel they are might hurt themselves or others

BBM

I don't necessarily disagree with anything else you've said here, but do want to point out that BL was already in hiding in the swamp (presumably with no access to news), and in fact there's a really good chance he was already dead, by the time GP's body was found.

MOO

BBM

I don't necessarily disagree with anything else you've said here, but do want to point out that BL was already in hiding in the swamp (presumably with no access to news), and in fact there's a really good chance he was already dead, by the time GP's body was found.

MOO
Yes! He was likely dead before really anything happened beyond LE seizing the van and GP's mom doing a press conference. I think this is overlooked much too often.

Unless there was something in his notebook, or he told his parents or SB what happened, there's likely no way anyone will ever know exactly why he killed GP, why he drove back and used her cards, or why he chose to kill himself when he did.

Unfortunately, this doesn't give GP's family any answers, and it leads to all kinds of nasty speculations by the public. Two lives lost and so many others destroyed by the choices made by one. This story is sad enough without the added bs going around. Jmo.

On AUG 30 - SEPT 1, 2021, BL uses GPs bank cards, illegally.

BL is officially charged with accessing Gabby's bank accounts for at least $1000. What the heck did he purchase?

By best guess is that he purchased a new set of tires for the van.

I remain amazed that the Red, White, and Bethune video filmed the white van. Without that critical piece of documentation, wonder if LEO would have been able to find Gabby?

I don't really know why they'd bother. It would seem filing suit would be a "cut off your nose to spite your face" move as there is so little that could be recovered. And it could make them look petty. If the family intends for the foundation work to be their full-time work as it appears, looking petty won't help their work IMO.

"In terms of what makes up Brian’s estate, Chris and Roberta Laundrie are estimating the final value of his belongings to be $20,000 in Bank of America checking and savings accounts. The filing reported that Brian did not have an indebted estate, and no creditors had filed claims for portions of his proprety."

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-new...orida-court-to-let-them-take-over-his-estate/

I suppose it's possible the estate could be worth more than $20K but I doubt it. We know he didn't own a car and no records of real estate holdings have shown up.

JMO

I hope they do sue. Even if there’s nothing there, just getting the judgment against his estate would be some crumb of justice. At least some of it could be Gabby’s anyway since it seems he was leeching off of her and her family deserves it back.

I wonder if they were paying rent and putting money towards bills while they were staying at the Laundries.

I believe they also stayed at one of their properties for a while. I think I heard they were renovating it while staying there.

I hope they do sue. Even if there’s nothing there, just getting the judgment against his estate would be some crumb of justice. At least some of it could be Gabby’s anyway since it seems he was leeching off of her and her family deserves it back.

Maybe.

But when attorneys advertise wrongful death actions as a way to "seek justice for a loved one," before it's all over the undertaking can become a self-inflicted wound for the family bringing the action. So one has to question whether such as action makes sense against a dead defendant especially when the amount of money that could be gained is so very small.

To bring suit, GP's family would have to pay an attorney. I could be wrong, but with such a small estate, I'd be very surprised if an attorney would work on contingency. Plus it would seem there could be witnesses needed from close to the west coast of the US all the way back to the east coast/FL. So there would be travel costs that have to be paid by GP's family. (Not counting their own travel. Maybe some of that could come from the Foundation but I doubt the other expenses could.)

Further, it seems to me (could be wrong!) any wrongful death lawsuit would be brought in FL. Florida law does not allow "relatives" to file wrongful death suits. (And BTW, neither does NY.) So technically any suit must be filed by the executor/personal representative for the victim's estate. I don't know who that is for GP. It could be both parents but it might not be. And if both parents aren't personal reps for GP's estate, they don't have equal rights to decide whether to file.

Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Florida

Wrongful Death Lawsuits in New York

And even if the personal rep filed & won on behalf of the estate, I am confident the full amount of BL's estate would not be awarded. Normally costs of "administration" (all legal fees including a fee for the personal representative/executor), some funeral costs (not totally relevant here but eventually something legal will have to be done with the remains that were found), any federal income tax owed, most debts that existed at the time of death, and so on would be paid before any court judgment GP's estate might receive would be paid (assuming they won, of course. We don't really know what LE knows that could be brought in.) I'm not an attorney but it's even possible some of the funds in BL''s estate could be used for legal representation/witness travel to defend against a wrongful death lawsuit brought against his estate (meaning BL's estate could be insolvent long before the end of the trial. Not even crumbs left to collect.)

Most important IMO, during a trial things likely will be said about GP that the family might prefer to keep private. I'm not suggesting those things would be intentionally used as a defense but unlike WS, a courtroom is not designed to be especially "victim friendly." That's not its purpose. So for example, the "dine and dash" story by the MP manager might get repeated and might be repeated about other venues. Mental health & drug use wouldn't be off limits. Even the Moab stop sworn testimony (including testimony from the female park ranger) might paint GP in ways her family would rather not hear and would rather others not hear either. And last, it might turn out BL was not "leaching off" GP as much as has been claimed here especially if GP lived rent-free with various members of BL's family & rent-free in the L's condo. (Protecting the memory of the family member is often more important to surviving family than "receiving justice" through financial compensation. At least in my experience.)

Right now, the GP Foundation store is selling merchandise (stickers, notebooks, cups, t-shirts, mouse pads, etc.) with GP pictured as an angel. A lawsuit could endanger that characterization by making her human faults prominent. And for what? Pennies from a dead defendant?

JMO

Maybe.

But when attorneys advertise wrongful death actions as a way to "seek justice for a loved one," before it's all over the undertaking can become a self-inflicted wound for the family bringing the action. So one has to question whether such as action makes sense against a dead defendant especially when the amount of money that could be gained is so very small.

To bring suit, GP's family would have to pay an attorney. I could be wrong, but with such a small estate, I'd be very surprised if an attorney would work on contingency. Plus it would seem there could be witnesses needed from close to the west coast of the US all the way back to the east coast/FL. So there would be travel costs that have to be paid by GP's family. (Not counting their own travel. Maybe some of that could come from the Foundation but I doubt the other expenses could.)

Further, it seems to me (could be wrong!) any wrongful death lawsuit would be brought in FL. Florida law does not allow "relatives" to file wrongful death suits. (And BTW, neither does NY.) So technically any suit must be filed by the executor/personal representative for the victim's estate. I don't know who that is for GP. It could be both parents but it might not be. And if both parents aren't personal reps for GP's estate, they don't have equal rights to decide whether to file.

Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Florida

Wrongful Death Lawsuits in New York

And even if the personal rep filed & won on behalf of the estate, I am confident the full amount of BL's estate would not be awarded. Normally costs of "administration" (all legal fees including a fee for the personal representative/executor), some funeral costs (not totally relevant here but eventually something legal will have to be done with the remains that were found), any federal income tax owed, most debts that existed at the time of death, and so on would be paid before any court judgment GP's estate might receive would be paid (assuming they won, of course. We don't really know what LE knows that could be brought in.) I'm not an attorney but it's even possible some of the funds in BL''s estate could be used for legal representation/witness travel to defend against a wrongful death lawsuit brought against his estate (meaning BL's estate could be insolvent long before the end of the trial. Not even crumbs left to collect.)

Most important IMO, during a trial things likely will be said about GP that the family might prefer to keep private. I'm not suggesting those things would be intentionally used as a defense but unlike WS, a courtroom is not designed to be especially "victim friendly." That's not its purpose. So for example, the "dine and dash" story by the MP manager might get repeated and might be repeated about other venues. Mental health & drug use wouldn't be off limits. Even the Moab stop sworn testimony (including testimony from the female park ranger) might paint GP in ways her family would rather not hear and would rather others not hear either. And last, it might turn out BL was not "leaching off" GP as much as has been claimed here especially if GP lived rent-free with various members of BL's family & rent-free in the L's condo. (Protecting the memory of the family member is often more important to surviving family than "receiving justice" through financial compensation. At least in my experience.)

Right now, the GP Foundation store is selling merchandise (stickers, notebooks, cups, t-shirts, mouse pads, etc.) with GP pictured as an angel. A lawsuit could endanger that characterization by making her human faults prominent. And for what? Pennies from a dead defendant?

JMO
Thank you for posting this. I think you've pointed out a lot of important considerations. Pain brings out anger and frustration in people following these cases, and understandably so, but for the families everything is much more complicated. What is justice for a life taken? Whether BL was alive to stand trial, or GP's family pursued his estate, their daughter's business would be poured all over everything. BL side-stepped that mess and sought justice on himself. Like it or not.

Even if the L's donated every penny of their son's estate to the foundation, it wouldn't fix anything. Not for her family, their family, and certainly not public opinion.

Last edited:
It has been widely reported here, especially in discussions about the Moab stop, that Gabby's phone was cellular network connected, but that Brian's was WiFi only. I don't have a link, however.
I don't think there was ever a link to that information. I believe that that was speculation based on Brian's statement that he "didn't have a phone" but then whipped one out of his pocket. People were speculating about how both of those things could be true (not having a phone, and having a phone). In my mind, it's just as easily true that he was simply lying.

I don't think there was ever a link to that information. I believe that that was speculation based on Brian's statement that he "didn't have a phone" but then whipped one out of his pocket. People were speculating about how both of those things could be true (not having a phone, and having a phone). In my mind, it's just as easily true that he was simply lying.
I took it like BL was saying that if she had left him on the side of the road at the moment he was speaking of, he didn't have his phone. As in he didn't have it on him then, not that he didn't own one at all. I might well be mistaken in my interpretation, though. Jmo.

Twenty thousand dollars wouldn't cover BL's estate's legal fees in a lawsuit. Most likely, if sued, BL's estate would not respond and Gabby's estate would get whatever was left.

Maybe a local lawyer seeking attention might make a filing for GP's estate for free, but flying out to Wyoming for depositions would be an expensive undertaking.

The only way a wrongful death lawsuit makes any economic sense is if somehow GP's estate could argue that BL's family had advanced knowledge or should have known that BL was a risk to GP, but that would be extremely hard to prove.

Gabby Petito's parents start foundation to counter domestic violence, find missing persons

Snipped by Me:

On the eve of their first Christmas without their daughter, Gabby Petito's mother said some days can be harder than others.

"We have our days where we just need to shut down and take a moment. But … the whole goal is prevention and helping other young people," Nichole Schmidt said. "We hope that we save lives and in Gabby's name and because of what happened to her, that that gives us a lot of hope."

None of us knows how anything about the money and it's impossible to speculate but having lost a family member to murder, I don't feel that any portion of $20,000 would make Gabby's family feel any better.

At this point they seem focused on using her memory to help others in a positive way and I truly believe that the path they are on will serve her memory much better than a public legal battle over a relatively small amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member