Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito,” said Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider of the FBI Denver Division. “The FBI’s primary focus throughout the investigation was to bring justice to Gabby and her family. The public’s role in helping us in this endeavor was invaluable as the investigation was covered in the media around the world.”

Another major revelation from the FBI’s final update on the investigation is that they discovered “written statements by Mr. Laundrie claiming responsibility for Ms. Petito’s death” in the notebook recovered near his remains in the Carlton Reserve in Sarasota County, Florida.
Brian Laundrie tried deceiving police with text messages after Gabby Petito's death, FBI says

GP's family could sue BL's estate for Wrongful Death (although I don't think the suit would be brought in WY.) But assuming they won, the maximum they could collect would be less than $20,000. His estate was supposedly around $20K but I'm pretty sure some expenses are "off the top" and are protected against legal action of any kind. For example, estate filing fees, burial/cremation expenses up to a certain amount, any personal income taxes BL owed for 2021, executor's fees, some attorney fees, and some other expenses like death certificates and advertising costs for notices to creditors. Those add up. Plus, to bring suit her family would have to pay an attorney. It's quite possible if a suit was brought, the L's wouldn't fight it so the attorney costs would be less. But if it did go to court, those fees would go up alot and there'd be no "shielding" of GP & her reputation in court. All in all, it's hard for me to see how it would be worth it.

More importantly though, an action like that could make her family look vindictive IMO. While some people might want to "make the L's suffer" in any way possible including by bringing such a lawsuit, there would also be people like me who would find the action petty since there's really no money to speak of at stake. (And after all, the L's didn't kill GP.) And since the 4 adults in GP's family appear to now work for the GP Foundation, looking petty and allowing GP's reputation to be "on trial" in an entirely optional lawsuit wouldn't be helpful to them in that work. It seems to me it would be much more advantageous (including financially) to keep to the high road. Right now they own that road but that could change.

JMO

You make excellent points, @NCWatcher -- it would probably come off as petty and vindictive. The Landries lost a child, too. And the "world" already knows under what conditions the son and the daughter died.
Yes, the Laundries should return whatever is Gabby's -- if there is any more at the Laundrie house, and pay some amount of money for gas, meals, etc., etc., on the trip, and let it go. If BL was still alive and at home or in jail, then a WD suit would be in order, IMO.
What a sad, sad situation this is.

As a human being who followed this case very closely for the first 80+ threads, I would very much like to know what Brian wrote, verbatim. I want to know when and particularly why he killed Gabby.

But my unpopular opinion is that although most of us WANT to know, I don't think we have the RIGHT to know.

I believe that right belongs solely to Gabby's family. They can share that if they want to, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't keep their daughter's end private.

IMO a Freedom of Information Act doesn't really apply to us, the public who didn't know these families. Unless it's tied in to something like "it's taxpayer's money that paid LE," I don't see us as important except that we are so curious.

I guess it's also being spun as knowing that what Brian wrote would help in the struggle against domestic violence. I don't know if that's true, though. IMO every domestic violence situation begins with two people who once had an intimate relationship and who believed they were in love. So many, mainly women, overlook early signs and think it won't happen to them. If knowing what was in Brian's mind would change that, I'd be all for it, but I don't think it works that way.

I do hope the foundation that Gabby's family initiated will help to educate victims in time to save them. But so many do not recognize themselves in this situation until it's too late.

This case didn't end with justice the way many of us had hoped, but it is a closed case, and I'd rather see time, effort and attention paid to those who are still in danger. Or to those who have not yet entered into a relationship that will spin out.

I'm glad Brian is dead. Spare the family from enduring a trial. I'm glad he's not hiding on the Appalachian Trail or in a big city or stashed in a rural cabin. IMO this will have to serve as justice.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it (DV) happens every day to women and men everywhere. It will never actually stop.
Criminals are criminals; they do not obey the laws. Never have.

Need to make ways for abuse victims to get help and not have to be so afraid and think they have nobody to turn to for help.
MOO

I notice when women do complain about abuse other women encourage them to "forgive and forget" or dismiss it as "normal." It's hard to seek out help when women don't often acknowledge abusive behavior.
when I was going through a nasty abusive breakup my female friends downplayed the violent abuse blaming me for making him jealous even though it was funny he'd slap/punch me in public, but my male friends immediately recognized it as abusive. perhaps, I was surrounded by women who accepted/ expected abuse or women who need to step up and take this far more seriously. to this day my former female friends fawn over my abuser and continue to be verbally abusive towards me for breaking his heart because he is a sad lonely 'nice guy.'
How do we change society?

Per the affidavit, Aug. 27th was the last known communication. I'm really curious if that changed once LE searched her hard-drive.

The FBI's statement yesterday stated that she was found in SC near where they had been seen together. That's new information, as we had never heard anyone claim to have seen GP there at all (except one rumor, but then she was alone). Now we know somebody saw them together. So, was that also on the 27th? Before? After? I wonder how near it was to the time of the crime.

I know these things are of no importance now. Just curious.
Pure speculation from me, but I think they did camp out near where she was found. The FBI's statement that they were seen together near where her body was found is consistent with that idea. The reason I've always suspected that location as the campsite is that her stepfather made statements about how the location of her body would have been a good place to pitch a tent, and that there was a fire ring right nearby. He speculated publicly that she had been sitting outside of their tent. Put together with the FBI's statement, and the fact that she was found wearing a sweatshirt with hiking shoes nearby (i.e., as if taken off so as to not be worn into a tent), I think that her stepfather knew more than he was supposed to say about people having seen them or their tent out in that location. MOO.

Last edited:
I notice when women do complain about abuse other women encourage them to "forgive and forget" or dismiss it as "normal." It's hard to seek out help when women don't often acknowledge abusive behavior.
when I was going through a nasty abusive breakup my female friends downplayed the violent abuse blaming me for making him jealous even though it was funny he'd slap/punch me in public, but my male friends immediately recognized it as abusive. perhaps, I was surrounded by women who accepted/ expected abuse or women who need to step up and take this far more seriously. to this day my former female friends fawn over my abuser and continue to be verbally abusive towards me for breaking his heart because he is a sad lonely 'nice guy.'
How do we change society?
I'm sorry that you had that experience, but that's certainly very counter to my experiences, and I think it's far from universal that women make excuses for abusers. My sister was married to an abuser and my family and her friends all recognized him as an abuser and encouraged her to leave.

Brian Laundrie texted between his and Gabby Petito's phone to trick law enforcement into thinking she was still alive, FBI says

After Gabby Petito's death last year — and amid a nationwide search for the missing vlogger — her fiancé, Brian Laundrie sent several text messages between their two cell phones to trick law enforcement into believing Petito was still alive, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced on Friday.

In a final investigative update on Friday, the FBI said investigators identified multiple text messages between Laundrie and Petito's phones sent after Petito died.

"The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive," investigators wrote.

Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, previously told authorities that the last text she received from her daughter's phone on August 27 was "odd" and left her feeling "concerned."

The text read: "Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls."

According to a September search warrant, Stan is the name of Petito's grandfather, but Schmidt told authorities that her daughter never called him "Stan." The message left Schmidt concerned at the time that something had happened to her daughter, the warrant said.

Brian Laundrie texted between his and Gabby Petito's phone to trick law enforcement into thinking she was still alive, FBI says

After Gabby Petito's death last year — and amid a nationwide search for the missing vlogger — her fiancé, Brian Laundrie sent several text messages between their two cell phones to trick law enforcement into believing Petito was still alive, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced on Friday.

In a final investigative update on Friday, the FBI said investigators identified multiple text messages between Laundrie and Petito's phones sent after Petito died.

"The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive," investigators wrote.

Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, previously told authorities that the last text she received from her daughter's phone on August 27 was "odd" and left her feeling "concerned."

The text read: "Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls."

According to a September search warrant, Stan is the name of Petito's grandfather, but Schmidt told authorities that her daughter never called him "Stan." The message left Schmidt concerned at the time that something had happened to her daughter, the warrant said.

"Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, previously told authorities that the last text she received from her daughter's phone on August 27 was "odd" and left her feeling "concerned."

The text read: "Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemails and missed calls.
"

As the saying goes: "The devil is in the details".

Last edited:
One of the questions I still have is WHY did Brian decide to commit suicide?

Brian Laundrie Used Texts to Make Police Think Gabby Petitio Was Alive: FBI (insider.com)

"In a final investigative update on Friday, the FBI said investigators identified multiple text messages between Laundrie and Petito's phones sent after Petito died. "The timing and content of these messages are indicative of Mr. Laundrie attempting to deceive law enforcement by giving the impression that Ms. Petito was still alive," investigators wrote."

It appears Brian's initial plan was to try to create an alibi so he would not be blamed for her murder. I believe his hitchhiking in Yellowstone was also part of that plan. Yet, he most likely committed suicide before her body was even found. Without even trying to get off in a trial. Without trying to run. Why? What made him change his mind? Why work to create an alibi and then kill yourself?

I'm sorry that you had that experience, but that's certainly very counter to my experiences, and I think it's far from universal that women make excuses for abusers. My sister was married to an abuser and my family and her friends all recognized him as an abuser and encouraged her to leave.

I'm so glad to hear that you supported her.
I think it may be the woman I happened to know at the time. They were all involved in the music business and didn't want to offend my abuser or lose their jobs or get blacklisted so that played a huge part of it.
Since I have met much supportive circle of female friends.

He needs to wipe Gabby's name out of his mouth.

This is just my opinion, but the only one deserving of censure in this case is Brian Laundrie. Bertolino seems to have done his job correctly as the Laundrie attorney and spokesperson to the media in this case. Why do I say this? The Laundries are not going to be persecuted for harboring a fugitive or obstructing justice. I doubt very much the Pepito's will even file suit against the Laundries, because Bertolino kept the Laundries from speaking publicly at a time there was intense public pressure for them to do so. So it appears to me that Bertolino has done a good job for his clients.

Pure speculation from me, but I think they did camp out near where she was found. The FBI's statement that they were seen together near where her body was found is consistent with that idea. The reason I've always suspected that location as the campsite is that her stepfather made statements about how the location of her body would have been a good place to pitch a tent, and that there was a fire ring right nearby. He speculated publicly that she had been sitting outside of their tent. Put together with the FBI's statement, and the fact that she was found wearing a sweatshirt with hiking shoes nearby (i.e., as if taken off so as to not be worn into a tent), I think that her stepfather knew more than he was supposed to say about people having seen them or their tent out in that location. MOO.
I fully agree. And to take it one step further, the same person who said the boots were next to her, said she was partial covered with a blanket or something. I really think she was sitting by the fire wrapped in a blanket, which probably kept her from being able to effectively fight back when he attacked her, likely from above, and probably pushing her down to the ground. Jmo. Camping there always made the most sense to me, although many others don't agree.

Brian Laundrie's Notebook Confession Reveals He Murdered Fiancée Gabby Petito

Following a grueling investigation, FBI Denver announced Friday that Brian Laundrie is believed to be responsible for 22-year-old Gabby Petito's murder.

Laundrie, 23, was named a person of interest in the disappearance of his fiancée on Sept. 15, though authorities failed to declare him a suspect in her murder before his death.

A notebook discovered alongside Laundrie's remains revealed written statements by Laundrie that took responsibility for Petito's death, the FBI stated.

"All logical investigative steps have been concluded in this case," FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider said in Friday's statement. "The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito.

Being manually strangled and beat up by your loved one is not in any way equivalent to shooting yourself in your favorite camping spot. IMO, and I'm sure Gabby would agree.

They are equivalent in they both end in death. Shooting yourself is an act of extreme violence, regardless of the location. It's not an easy thing to do, and I feel certain that BL shooting himself in a swamp with mosquitoes biting him brought him no comfort. In fact, shooting himself in his bed at his parents home would have been easier, and BL not do it there shows he had some consideration for his parents, not wanting them to experience that emotional trauma.

I feel certain BL was terrified right up to the moment he pulled the trigger. In my opinion, he deserved to die for murdering Gabby and so he did the right thing.

They are equivalent in they both end in death. Shooting yourself is an act of extreme violence, regardless of the location. It's not an easy thing to do, and I feel certain that BL shooting himself in a swamp with mosquitoes biting him brought him no comfort. In fact, shooting himself in his bed at his parents home would have been easier, and BL not do it there shows he had some consideration for his parents, not wanting them to experience that emotional trauma.

I feel certain BL was terrified right up to the moment he pulled the trigger. In my opinion, he deserved to die for murdering Gabby and so he did the right thing.
Yes. I remember when LE was still searching the swamp for BL, so many people were saying he was too much a coward to kill himself, that Mommy and Daddy were funding him, hiding him somewhere, or sent him on to Mexico. He'd never kill himself because he was a narcissist.

Then his remains were found and suddenly he was too much a coward to face the music, that Mommy and Daddy knew he went off to do it, or maybe even killed him themselves.

I have no doubt that somewhere in the processing of his actions, BL blamed GP for making him do it. But maybe after a couple weeks and seeing NS on television crying and pleading to find her daughter, knowing his own parents either knew or would soon know what he did, guilt crept in. After a couple weeks of reliving the horrible moment and contemplating his own future, it all was just too much. Maybe he hated himself as much as we all do for him taking her life. IDK...I can't even begin to guess what went through his mind. But something made him take written responsibility, in whatever form that was, and pull the trigger.

I fully agree. And to take it one step further, the same person who said the boots were next to her, said she was partial covered with a blanket or something. I really think she was sitting by the fire wrapped in a blanket, which probably kept her from being able to effectively fight back when he attacked her, likely from above, and probably pushing her down to the ground. Jmo. Camping there always made the most sense to me, although many others don't agree.

I don't agree with this, because it just doesn't fit with the pattern of their violence towards one another revealed by the Moab incident. According to the witness and BLs and Gabby's interviews with LE, in that incident they participated in mutual combat--he withheld something belonging to her, she attacked him to get it back, and he either pushed her away or responded in kind. I believe the same sort of thing occurred at the camp site--a face to face encounter. One where BL "lost it" and went too far. I'm not trying to defend the guy, he's a murderer. But I just can't envision a sneak attack from the rear. I'm convinced he killed her face to face. My opinion only.

I don't agree with this, because it just doesn't fit with the pattern of their violence towards one another revealed by the Moab incident. According to the witness and BLs and Gabby's interviews with LE, in that incident they participated in mutual combat--he withheld something belonging to her, she attacked him to get it back, and he either pushed her away or responded in kind. I believe the same sort of thing occurred at the camp site--a face to face encounter. One where BL "lost it" and went too far. I'm not trying to defend the guy, he's a murderer. But I just can't envision a sneak attack from the rear. I'm convinced he killed her face to face. My opinion only.
Oh, I didn't mean at all a sneak attack. I wasn't clear on that. I think they were fighting, too, verbally, at least. I just think it's possible she was seated at the time of the attack, if that makes sense. I agree they were mutually combative in some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003