Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh. Thank you for the summary. Y'know, when it's compiled into a condensed space, I'm wondering if there's any wider an ambiguous and selective brush with which the document can be painted.... by, for the most part, the plaintiff's (biased) attorney. Playing his role, to be sure. I'm suspecting that the "letter" is pretty dang innocuous.. except to readers that are already subjectively/emotionally predisposed to a particular line of thought. Perhaps the "letter" is more a mother's 'words-of-wisdom' note to her child embarking on a next chapter of life. (Obviously, I do not know that one way or another.)
Well.........why didn't Bertilino just release the letter? It would stop all the speculation.

There you have it. More of the ever-changing story.
Everything but the truth.

CL and RL are still in CYA mode, unwilling to face the reality that they failed Gabby, Gabby‘s parents, and even their own son. Had they notified and cooperated with authorities from the start, Gabby’s parents may have been spared weeks of anguish in uncertainty. BL would likely be alive and behind bars awaiting due process, rather than having been found dead in a swamp.

Yet here we are, deciphering a notebook from their son and cryptic messages from their lawyer.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

JMO
EXACTLY!!

"When I told Bertolino of Reilly's claim that the letter was written after #GabbyPetito was killed, he responded: "He is incorrect."

BERTILINO CLARIFIED WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN!!!!!

I have to wonder from where the characterization of the document (i.e. so-called "letter") as a "letter" first came. While admittedly I may be in the weeds a bit too much, I think of a letter as a relatively formal item, and typically delivered more-or-less formally (mail, courier, etc). Or, I wonder, is it better characterized as a note? I wonder if the document has all the traditional elements of a letter. I suppose that, in the end, the labelling doesn't really matter. I don't know...

Well, those 3 stories are all about the same incident (when the L's last saw BL) and were all published in early Oct. So I'm not sure it's accurate to call them "more examples" (plural) and 9-month old stories certainly aren't examples of current story changes.

You wrote "Now they don’t know when the letter was written?"

No one (that I know of) has claimed the L's don't know when the letter was written, or rather that the writer, RL, doesn't know. (CL may not know.) But I'm sure RL has a good idea. (I wouldn't necessarily remember the exact day I wrote a letter either but I'd know the general time period.) But neither of the L's feels the need to go on camera to tell the public. Not talking ≠ changing the story.
Fair enough. Not talking isn’t changing a story. They do both.

When police went to the Laundrie family home on the night of September 11, he was not seen and there was no opportunity to speak with him. WHERE WAS HE?

Then they said they last saw him 9/14 but changed it to 9/13.

Late September they said they didn’t know where BL was, but eventually said he had gone to the Reserve.

Here we are again, left to guess what part is not correct. Was the letter written before Gabby was killed? Before they knew she was killed? After Utah? Before the trip ever began? Or is it incorrect that a letter was written at all? It is a guessing game with the Laundries. Why? Both Brian and Gabby are deceased. It‘s only their own CYA.

JB Biunno #HeyJB
@WFLAJB

When I told Bertolino of Reilly's claim that the letter was written after #GabbyPetito was killed, he responded: "He is incorrect." I'll post updates as I have them, but for now, read the latest here:

Well.........why didn't Bertilino just release the letter? It would stop all the speculation.
Naturally, I cannot speak on his behalf. But, were I to guess, it's because the call on that documents release was not his to make. If one is to believe the rather peculiar implication that he was unaware of the document and/or its contents, then I'd think even more that he'd not just release it willy-nilly on his own.

Naturally, I cannot speak on his behalf. But, were I to guess, it's because the call on that documents release was not his to make. If one is to believe the rather peculiar implication that he was unaware of the document and/or its contents, then I'd think even more that he'd not just release it willy-nilly on his own.
Agree. He's also not representing the L's in court. Why would he turn over documents to the P's attorney?

Do we know if BL and GP used drugs and may have kept them in the van? If so, then RL could have been worried that if they were pulled over for speeding or something similar then LE might find their stash of marijuana or something, and perhaps she was givng this advice in a letter to BL on how to handle it, maybe incuded the name of their family attorney, etc. This is all speculative and hypothetical, but it could be for any reason either as they set off on the trip, or after Moab with different content and real concern of RL about BL returning to Utah.

Do we know if BL and GP used drugs and may have kept them in the van? If so, then RL could have been worried that if they were pulled over for speeding or something similar then LE might find their stash of marijuana or something, and perhaps she was givng this advice in a letter to BL on how to handle it, maybe incuded the name of their family attorney, etc. This is all speculative and hypothetical, but it could be for any reason either as they set off on the trip, or after Moab with different content and real concern of RL about BL returning to Utah.
I do believe that was a factor. Unfortunately, it can't be discussed on the thread.

Fair enough. Not talking isn’t changing a story. They do both.

When police went to the Laundrie family home on the night of September 11, he was not seen and there was no opportunity to speak with him. WHERE WAS HE?

Then they said they last saw him 9/14 but changed it to 9/13.

Late September they said they didn’t know where BL was, but eventually said he had gone to the Reserve.

Here we are again, left to guess what part is not correct. Was the letter written before Gabby was killed? Before they knew she was killed? After Utah? Before the trip ever began? Or is it incorrect that a letter was written at all? It is a guessing game with the Laundries. Why? Both Brian and Gabby are deceased. It‘s only their own CYA.

JB Biunno #HeyJB
@WFLAJB

When I told Bertolino of Reilly's claim that the letter was written after #GabbyPetito was killed, he responded: "He is incorrect." I'll post updates as I have them, but for now, read the latest here:

I think there are a few incorrect assertions in that rendition. Here are a few.

There was initial confusion between the 13th and 14th being the day BL left home. That has been known since early last fall. I don't think that's a big deal but I realize it is to some people.

But the L's said long before late Sept that BL went to the Reserve. It was reported they said that very early on. They retrieved the Mustang there Sept 15 and that was known to LE (although NPPD mistook RL for BL.) So the statement you made "Late September they said they didn’t know where BL was, but eventually said he had gone to the Reserve" really isn't accurate. LE was searching the Reserve very early on because that's where the L's said he went. And his remains were found where they said he'd likely go.

I believe BL was at the house on the 11th but declined to speak to LE as was his right.

Simply because the L's have made no public announcement about a private letter RL wrote to BL doesn't mean they've done something wrong. We don't know when it was written but they really have no obligation to tell us.
JMO

I think there are a few incorrect assertions in that rendition. Here are a few.

There was initial confusion between the 13th and 14th being the day BL left home. That has been known since early last fall. I don't think that's a big deal but I realize it is to some people.

But the L's said long before late Sept that BL went to the Reserve. It was reported they said that very early on. They retrieved the Mustang there Sept 15 and that was known to LE (although NPPD mistook RL for BL.) So the statement you made "Late September they said they didn’t know where BL was, but eventually said he had gone to the Reserve" really isn't accurate. LE was searching the Reserve very early on because that's where the L's said he went. And his remains were found where they said he'd likely go.

I believe BL was at the house on the 11th but declined to speak to LE as was his right.

Simply because the L's have made no public announcement about a private letter RL wrote to BL doesn't mean they've done something wrong. We don't know when it was written but they really have no obligation to tell us.
JMO
That’s cool. I’m good with my rendition. I am baffled how the “confusion” isn’t a big deal to everyone, when a woman’s life, and her parents anguish, hung in the balance.

I’m among those that think RL has done plenty wrong. But, you are correct. Legal obligation does not equal moral obligation.

Sadly, neither will likely be achieved.

Rest in peace Gabby.

That’s cool. I’m good with my rendition. I am baffled how the “confusion” isn’t a big deal to everyone, when a woman’s life, and her parents anguish, hung in the balance.

I’m among those that think RL has done plenty wrong. But, you are correct. Legal obligation does not equal moral obligation.

Sadly, neither will likely be achieved.

Rest in peace Gabby.
Well I can't speak for everyone but for me, if I was under alot of stress, I could imagine getting a date wrong by a day. Certainly I've misdated a check before thinking it was say, the 13th, when it was the 14th. I've forgotten to mail birthday cards in time thinking I had one more day because I was wrong about the current date And once people have the wrong date in mind they often don't keep asking themselves "Is that the right date? Or am I wrong?" So I could understand being off by a day. And it was only a day. So it's just not a big deal to me.

So far as other confusion based on statements from the L's, I don't know of any.

Here's an article from Sept 18 about the ongoing search in the Reserve. This article was published only a few days after BL left home. It says the L's said BL went to the Reserve. So I'm not sure why anyone would think the L's hid that information until after "late Sept."

Last edited:
Agree. He's also not representing the L's in court. Why would he turn over documents to the P's attorney?
Good point. And the Laundrie's civil attorney probably doesn't want to release the letter before the motion to dismiss is decided because that would go against them not talking about this case. JMO.

Good point. And the Laundrie's civil attorney probably doesn't want to release the letter before the motion to dismiss is decided because that would go against them not talking about this case. JMO.
He did release Brian’s confession letter, though. Presumably, he could have released Roberta’s letter to Brian too.

This whole story about the letter from Roberta to Brian made me recall this article from the Sun that came out a couple months back (link below) in which an unnamed source said that Brian feared Roberta could be arrested and that’s why he fled. A few things about this article made no sense based on what we knew at the time. For instance, the below passage is interesting and it makes me wonder if the item requested under FOIA was in fact the letter Roberta wrote. Just speculation on my part since we don’t know who this source is and haven’t seen the letter yet. JMO.

From the article: (BBM)

“"I know for a fact that they thought it would come out in a public record request from the media that Roberta did this. When the record request was denied and the media wouldn't publish an allegation like that without proof, they filed.

"I also know for a fact that her family wanted to use the court of public opinion knowing it will be dismissed before Brian's family can ever tell their side. Filing the lawsuit is the only other way to get it out publicly.

"They knew that, if Roberta did anything like this, she would be living with the guilt of wondering if Brian killed himself because he thought they were going to arrest her.

"I believe that they wanted to put the information out that she did this without the public ever knowing that Roberta is already suffering."”

Brian Laundrie fled home after 'fearing his mom was going to be arrested'

He did release Brian’s confession letter, though. Presumably, he could have released Roberta’s letter to Brian too.
I'm not sure I'd presume that.

I doubt SB released the "confession" letter without talking to the attorney representing the L's in court. If we can trust what the P's attorney said (& I'm not sure "public consumption" statements should be trusted during a lawsuit) he seemed to think SB had never read RL's letter before. So SB couldn't have had a discussion about it before the mtg. Finally, releasing something BL wrote is entirely different from releasing something one of the L's wrote. I'm not an attorney but it seems to me those two documents are like apples and oranges. The only things they have in common: 1. They were both in the FBI's possession and 2. The public is massively curious about what they both say.

Brian is dead so his statements are not the same as Roberta Laundrie's. The civil suit involving the Laundries is still active and awaiting the judge to rule on the MTD. JMO.

This whole story about the letter from Roberta to Brian made me recall this article from the Sun that came out a couple months back (link below) in which an unnamed source said that Brian feared Roberta could be arrested and that’s why he fled. A few things about this article made no sense based on what we knew at the time. For instance, the below passage is interesting and it makes me wonder if the item requested under FOIA was in fact the letter Roberta wrote. Just speculation on my part since we don’t know who this source is and haven’t seen the letter yet. JMO.

From the article: (BBM)

“"I know for a fact that they thought it would come out in a public record request from the media that Roberta did this. When the record request was denied and the media wouldn't publish an allegation like that without proof, they filed.

"I also know for a fact that her family wanted to use the court of public opinion knowing it will be dismissed before Brian's family can ever tell their side. Filing the lawsuit is the only other way to get it out publicly.

"They knew that, if Roberta did anything like this, she would be living with the guilt of wondering if Brian killed himself because he thought they were going to arrest her.

"I believe that they wanted to put the information out that she did this without the public ever knowing that Roberta is already suffering."”

Brian Laundrie fled home after 'fearing his mom was going to be arrested'
I give anonymous sources like this zero value in adding to the discussion here on Websleuths.

I have to wonder from where the characterization of the document (i.e. so-called "letter") as a "letter" first came. While admittedly I may be in the weeds a bit too much, I think of a letter as a relatively formal item, and typically delivered more-or-less formally (mail, courier, etc). Or, I wonder, is it better characterized as a note? I wonder if the document has all the traditional elements of a letter. I suppose that, in the end, the labelling doesn't really matter. I don't know...
If it was mailed wouldn't there be a post mark showing where it was mailed from and the date?

If it was mailed wouldn't there be a post mark showing where it was mailed from and the date?
If it had been mailed by regular mail we'd have all that along with where it was mailed to. But if it was overnighted there would have been an outer envelope or if sent with other stuff, a box.. And apparently those were discarded if either ever existed. (Personally I don't think it was mailed or shipped for lots of reasons.)

Is the judge aware of the new releases and if so does/can he use them in forming his decision on the MTD?
Brian is dead so his statements are not the same as Roberta Laundrie's. The civil suit involving the Laundries is still active and awaiting the awaiting the judge to rule on the MTD. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces