Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the judge aware of the new releases and if so does/can he use them in forming his decision on the MTD?
Are you asking if the Judge wants to read the RL letter before making his decision on the MTD? I doubt it.

I would say he will base his decision on the motion to dismiss, the plaintiff's response, the answers to the questions he asked at the hearing and case law. JMO.

ADMIN NOTE:

Some posts have been removed.

Please move on from semantics surrounding use of the term "extremely" used by the experts. No need to hyper-focus on one descriptive word when IMO we can agree that if the disorder results in a murder, most people would consider that to constitute extreme.

Also, as noted in the Opening Posts, discussion of mental health in general is not allowed. Members may discuss what is said by experts in MSM as it relates to this case but regular members are not qualified to discuss/comment on the specifics of a disorder unless they are a WS Verified mental health expert (i.e. psychologist, psychiatrist).

Thanks.
I think I'm glad I missed this one. Thanks, SB!!!

Taylor has since admitted they were convinced they had witnessed Laundrie return to the home in the Mustang, “but we now know that wasn’t true.”

Brian Laundrie's house, where police set up around the clock surveillance trying to catch Brian Laundrie who was wanted for questioning at the time.  Brian Laundrie’s house, where police set up around-the-clock surveillance trying to catch Brian Laundrie, who was wanted for questioning at the time. Maciel / BACKGRID
I believe it was his mom who was wearing a baseball cap,” Taylor said of the person they saw.

Last edited:
OFF TOPIC - ADMIN NOTE…..
…….but want to be sure you all know:
Mike Morford, podcaster extraordinaire, and fellow WS member, has invited us all to take part in his new podcast CITIZEN DETECTIVE tonight starting in less than an hour!!
Here are the DETAILS:

CITIZEN DETECTIVE Youtube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w

The WS thread for the case they are discussing tonight:
Rachael Runyon in Sunset, Utah

Please tune in to check it out!*
Starts at 9 pm Eastern.

(Please do not comment on this thread about this post….go here instead…..
NEW PODCAST PARTNERSHIP w/ MIKE MORFORD
THANKS!
coco

Are you asking if the Judge wants to read the RL letter before making his decision on the MTD? I doubt it.

I would say he will base his decision on the motion to dismiss, the plaintiff's response, the answers to the questions he asked at the hearing and case law. JMO.

I was under the impression that usually the judge can only consider what has been presented by the parties during the hearing or in exhibits and briefs. They aren't supposed to consider media, news, outside pressure, public petitions, or anything like that.

But there are probably exceptions that I'm not familiar with.

So I have a question I’m sure it’s been answered before, but I never understood this…the Moab incident happened then he flew to Florida?? Why wouldn’t he just have stayed in Florida??
The explanation given by Bertolino was that he flew home to retrieve some belongings from (and close) a storage shed, since Brian and Gabby planned to extend their trip and were trying to save money.

Many of us speculated that they broke up at that time, but eventually decided to get back together and continue the trip.

Well I can't speak for everyone but for me, if I was under alot of stress, I could imagine getting a date wrong by a day. Certainly I've misdated a check before thinking it was say, the 13th, when it was the 14th. I've forgotten to mail birthday cards in time thinking I had one more day because I was wrong about the current date And once people have the wrong date in mind they often don't keep asking themselves "Is that the right date? Or am I wrong?" So I could understand being off by a day. And it was only a day. So it's just not a big deal to me.

So far as other confusion based on statements from the L's, I don't know of any.

Here's an article from Sept 18 about the ongoing search in the Reserve. This article was published only a few days after BL left home. It says the L's said BL went to the Reserve. So I'm not sure why anyone would think the L's hid that information until after "late Sept."

9/27/21

NORTH PORT, Florida (WABC) -- The parents of Brian Laundrie say they do not know where their son is and hope the FBI can locate him.

The FBI said Monday they will dial down the large-scale search efforts for Gabby Petito's fiancé as the manhunt enters a second week.

9/27/21

NORTH PORT, Florida (WABC) -- The parents of Brian Laundrie say they do not know where their son is and hope the FBI can locate him.

The FBI said Monday they will dial down the large-scale search efforts for Gabby Petito's fiancé as the manhunt enters a second week.

In his interview with CNN, Bertolino was asked if the Laundries thought Brian was in the preserve or somewhere else. He replied that they did not think he was somewhere else, they think he's in the preserve.

Remember when police asked for the Laundrie's assistance but the search was delayed? It was around that time that Bertolino repeated that they thought he was in the preserve and were anxious to help search.

I don't know why some sources claimed they did not know where he was. Maybe because they only knew the general location? They seemed pretty adamant that he was there although not many people believed them. LE must have believed them because that was the only place they searched and they closed that area off early on.

9/27/21

Thanks for the link. I didn't know about the reward being offered. Seems like the Laundrie's should have received it. They told LE where to look for BL and that's where he was found.
Boohoff Law, a personal injury law firm, said in a release on its website it is offering a $20,000 reward to be "paid once the investigating law enforcement agency supplies" the firm with "written verification that a tip helped lead to locating" Laundrie.
The law firm, which has multiple offices across Florida, including North Port, said its reward "will remain open for two months starting from the receipt of the tip" by law enforcement.

In his interview with CNN, Bertolino was asked if the Laundries thought Brian was in the preserve or somewhere else. He replied that they did not think he was somewhere else, they think he's in the preserve.

Remember when police asked for the Laundrie's assistance but the search was delayed? It was around that time that Bertolino repeated that they thought he was in the preserve and were anxious to help search.

I don't know why some sources claimed they did not know where he was. Maybe because they only knew the general location? They seemed pretty adamant that he was there although not many people believed them. LE must have believed them because that was the only place they searched and they closed that area off early on.
Yes. Though it’s confusing, as the article says the preserve is closed and they can’t look in the only place they they believe BL to be. Then later in the article it says they don’t know where he is.

I imagine they were upset and there was confusion in communication and / or reporting. Being their son was missing.

"Burn after you read this" could just have been shorthand for "toss it in the campfire" after you read it, or just some tongue-in-cheek expression.
Tossing it into a campfire IS burning it. Why write that if there's nothing incriminating on it? He could figure out if if needed to be thrown away.

Expect Another Confession — With a Different Scenario — in Gabby Petito Case: Attorney

The notebook was recovered in a Florida nature preserve along with the remains of Brian Laundrie -- and in it, he appears to confess to killing Gabby Petito

Published June 28, 2022 • Updated 4 hours ago​

An attorney representing the parents of Gabby Petito, the Long Island woman who died on a cross-country trip with her fiancé Brian Laundrie last year, said Tuesday to expect another confession with a different scenario in the near future.

The comments from lawyer Pat Reilly come in response to questions posed to the Petito family about the release of contents from Laundrie's notebook, which was recovered along with his body in the swampy Florida preserve where authorities say he is believed to have taken his own life amid a multi-state manhunt in October.

snip

According to Reilly, Bertolino allegedly cherry-picked certain parts of the notebook to share "to garner sympathy for Brian Laundrie and his parents."

"The words of that notebook lack contrition and contain a false narrative of the circumstances of Gabby's passing," Reilly said. "We expect in the near future that at least one other confession with a different scenario will be released."

snip

As for the letter Roberta Laundrie sent to Brian Laundrie, Reilly says Bertolino wouldn't provide the Petito family with a copy. While the letter is undated, Reilly says it appears to have been written after Petito's death but before Laundrie's, which the attorney says shows Roberta Laundrie had prior knowledge of Petito's killing.

snip

And it certainly tells a story. Laundrie writes he decided to end Petito's life after she allegedly suffered some kind of injury while the two were camping at night. The 23-year-old writes about trying to keep her warm and awake while Petito was in "extreme" pain, but his entries don't reference any effort to find her medical help.

(snipped by me, much more at link. At the moment, I'm much more interested in Brian's other suicide notes than Roberta's letter.)

Last edited:
Naturally, I cannot speak on his behalf. But, were I to guess, it's because the call on that documents release was not his to make. If one is to believe the rather peculiar implication that he was unaware of the document and/or its contents, then I'd think even more that he'd not just release it willy-nilly on his own.
He sure released the suicide letter on his own willy nilly with in 30 minutes of leaving the FBI. He had no problem doing that.

He sure released the suicide letter on his own willy nilly with in 30 minutes of leaving the FBI. He had no problem doing that.
We don't really know if the confession letter was released by SB "on his own" much less if it was released "willy nilly."

SB may very well have discussed the release with the L's and with the attorney representing them in court (Luca) long before the meeting with the FBI. I suspect he did. It also seems likely to me SB didn't wait until after the FBI mtg to set up the interview with Fox for the exclusive. That speaks against a willy nilly release (i.e., without planning) It certainly appeared planned but SB couldn't release the confession before he had it. And pretty recently the P's attorney (Reilly) was still saying the notebook might go to the P's. He stated most recently they might get it because GP might have drawn in it. (Frankly anyone can doodle pretty much anywhere, but that small lined spiral notebook didn't look much like a place a person would draw. So I'm not sure what was behind the attorney's statement about drawings.)

But many sources reported :

"Patrick Reilly, representing the Petito family, said he is confident the Petito family would obtain the notebook."

"We will eventually get Brian Laundrie's notebook and writings," he told NBC News."

Variations of that statement appeared in many publications in the late spring. So the fate if the notebook wasn't clear.

I guess people are now saying because other things written by other people weren't also released, the notebook confession should not have been either? People have known about the notebook confession since last Oct and it seemed many people posted here that it should be released. I had posted I thought the FBI's phrasing BL "took responsibility" for GP's death was odd (& I still do.) So lots of people have wondered about the statement for nearly 10 months. BL can't go to trial so it wasn't clear if the statement would ever come out. And I'm glad it did. Now people think maybe the notebook statement shouldn't have been released? It seems to me releasing a known written confession from a dead person is different from releasing a private undated letter written by a person the P's are suing. And I suspect RL's letter isn't the only written item LE took from the search of the 3-bedroom house. Reilly only mentioned the letter though.
 JMO

Is the judge aware of the new releases and if so does/can he use them in forming his decision on the MTD?
The judge's upcoming ruling is based solely on the law, not the facts of the case. In other words, his sole decision is whether or not the allegations made by GP's family allow them to sue the L's. Brian's "confession" is irrelevant in making his ruling. The "letter" may be useful if the case goes to trial, but probably has no bearing on the actual law.

The "confession" may be useful in the wrongful death against Brian's estate, which is a completely different lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member