Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This quote above...

To me, this sounds like the date is speculation on their part and they hope the notebook will confirm that speculation.
I think the plaintiff's don't have any evidence yet that supports their claims and are hoping they will get it in time for the trial. JMO.

I believe the Judge illuded to Covid protocol? Maybe he has it, I have no idea"

And although to me personally the L's should have attended, I get why they didn't. It wasn't a requirement and they have opted to not help Gabby's family get any answers in any way. JMO they clearly didn't care about her one bit.
I completely agree.

So the plaintiff's in this civil suit may not be able to get a hold of any text messages to use against the defendants.
That's not correct. My husband worked for ATT for many years. Providers DO store text messages. Many a murder case has gotten a conviction based on recovered text messages.

Not sure. Many sources say the content of text msgs is not ever stored by the phone company and cannot be recovered. The fact that a msg was sent can be recovered, of course. And if either the sender's or the receiver's actual phone is available AND the text hasn't been deleted, someone could see the msg.
That's not accurate. My husband worked for ATT for many years. Providers DO store the messages, and can be recovered.

That's not correct. My husband worked for ATT for many years. Providers DO store text messages. Many a murder case has gotten a conviction based on recovered text messages.
If that's true then the FBI most likely knows the content of any text messages that BL made.

Brian had Gabby's phone with all of her contacts. He used her cell to contact her family trying to cover his crime.

I ASSUME once he got home, he continued his cell phone manipulation and blocked all of Gabby's contacts from his parents' cells...

That's not accurate. My husband worked for ATT for many years. Providers DO store the messages, and can be recovered.

While it would be a bad idea to text incriminating information :) apparently providers differ on that. According to this link (and others like it),

most providers do not retain content. For example this link reports Verizon retains the context of msgs for 3-5 days while T-Mobile doesn't retain content after delivery at all. All providers retain details such as the time Msg A was sent from Phone X to Phone Y. So it's far from clear to me that everything is retained forever. For one thing, that would take up huge amounts of space and with space comes cost.

Regardless, I'm sure the FBI accessed whatever was retained back in the fall. I don't know that what was available then would be available now 9 months later, but for example, the FBI surely didn't behave as if it was believed BL was on his way abroad. The FBI certainly appeared to think he was where he was found after a month of intense searching-- in the swamp. And the L's weren't charged with anything. So I'm not sure there's a smoking gun in the text msgs even if they were retained.

I'd think what matters to the current case is what the L's texted. The P's Complaint already alleges BL sent text msgs containing untrue and misleading information. But the L's texts to BL, to SB, and to anyone else could matter.
JMO

I see what you're saying. Wouldn't the FBI be able to get transcripts of BL's text messages to see if it could help find him during their search?
If the FBI could access that information at the beginning of the case, then they would have them. However, if it was a call, no-one would know the content of that call other than the persons who made and received the call.

I don't know. "Claimed responsibility" is pretty clear. Unless BL said that GP strangled herself but it was his fault that she did it.

It would be nice if LE just released the statements made by BL in the notebook. JMO.
I agree with @Mike in WNY that there could be wiggle room. I always thought the phrasing about the notebook statement was exceedingly odd. Who talks that way? Even in LE? And the FBI report was a written work product the writers had plenty of time to compose, it wasn't an off-the-cuff remark. I'd assume (or at least hope!) the writers parsed their words carefully.

I don't think it's true but IF BL felt guilty because he's been away from the campsite-- say they had had yet another fight, a seemingly common occurrence with the couple, and he'd stomped off and came back to a dead GP, he easily might feel and say he was responsible for her death. As I said, I don't really think that's what happened. But why not classify what BL wrote as a "confession" or at least an "apparent confession" if it was so clear to the FBI that's what it was? Some press reports have called the notebook writing a confession but clearly the FBI didn't say that. Instead the notebook statement about taking responsibility was just one piece of the report that concluded BL was likely responsible for GP's death in part because the FBI couldn't find anyone else who might be guilty. Because there hadn't been and couldn't ever be a trial, I can understand why the FBI might not want to use the term "murder." That's kind of a legal term and without a trial, it may not apply. But the word "kill" isn't a restricted term.
JMO

Last edited:
BL could have called his parents as he left for home in the van and told them that GP left him, took off with some other people, left him with no money and the van, so he was heading home, didn't know what else to do, but he was worried that if anything happened to her he would be in trouble, he had the van, etc. and had withdrawn some money from her bank account. His parents then would have told him to just come home and they would talk about it then and figure out what to do, and that they would call their long time attorney to see what he advised.

BL may not have come clean with them until they found the notebook, even if later on with all the national news media they had figured it out.
I am thinking that this is a likely scenario.

I agree with @Mike in WNY that there could be wiggle room. I always thought the phrasing about the notebook statement was exceedingly odd. Who talks that way? Even in LE? And the FBI report was a written work product the writers had plenty of time to compose, it wasn't an off-the-cuff remark. I'd assume (or at least hope!) the writers parsed their words carefully.

I don't think it's true but IF BL felt guilty because he's been away from the campsite-- say they had had yet another fight, a seemingly common occurrence with the couple, and he'd stomped off and came back to a dead GP, he easily might feel and say he was responsible for her death. As I said, I don't really think that's what happened. But why not classify what BL wrote as a "confession" or at least an "apparent confession" if it was so clear to the FBI that's what it was? Some press reports have called the notebook writing a confession but clearly the FBI didn't say that. Instead the notebook statement about taking responsibility was just one piece of the report that concluded BL was likely responsible for GP's death in part because the FBI couldn't find anyone else who might be guilty. Because there hadn't been and couldn't ever be a trial, I can understand why the FBI might not want to use the term "murder." That's kind of a legal term and without a trial, it may not apply. But the word "kill" isn't a restricted term.
JMO
Yep. The point I am heading toward is that - based on what is publicly available - the FBI is unwilling or unable to make definitive assertions about the matter. In a moderately high profile matter, it would seem that any government agency would always seize the opportunity to 'brag on itself' whenever/wherever possible. The absence of definitive statements, suggests (to me) that the FBI is not certain. Indeed, the plaintiffs take a very different path... and claim all kinds of certainties/absolutes. If they're accurate in their assertions, seems the plaintiffs may have a bigger beef with the FBI than they do with the defendants.... y'know, if they're looking for altruistic accountability. To me, it all comes back to the subject case being a huge gamble (with what I see as no real long-term upside for the plaintiffs) requiring an arduous hill climb. Finally, from what I can see, this is the first time that the plaintiffs have faced any real (active) opposition in the overall matter. I'm not 100% certain that's within their wheelhouse.

JMO
I have always thought the phrase "claimed responsibility" was very odd. Why not say he confessed that he killed her?

Just an observation on my part. I do believe the L's knew that Gabby was dead very early on, they may have not known all of the details but they knew something horrific had happened. The reason I say this is because of BL's sister, CL. I need to go back and refresh my memory on the timeline but I distinctly remember that CL was upset because her parents nor BL were talking to her. The only thing she was hearing was from the media and what the L's attorney was stating. Before all of this happened she said they had an open line of communication but that all changed when BL came home. I think that's when the L's went into full on protection mode. It is going to be interesting to see how the Judge rules on this. JMO

Just an observation on my part. I do believe the L's knew that Gabby was dead very early on, they may have not known all of the details but they knew something horrific had happened. The reason I say this is because of BL's sister, CL. I need to go back and refresh my memory on the timeline but I distinctly remember that CL was upset because her parents nor BL were talking to her. The only thing she was hearing was from the media and what the L's attorney was stating. Before all of this happened she said they had an open line of communication but that all changed when BL came home. I think that's when the L's went into full on protection mode. It is going to be interesting to see how the Judge rules on this. JMO
When CL gave the interview was after BL had left for the swamp. All in L's including CL went camping after BL returned home. It was only when the case hit the media and Gabby was found that the line of communication was cut between CL and her parents.

When CL gave the interview was after BL had left for the swamp. All in L's including CL went camping after BL returned home. It was only when the case hit the media and Gabby was found that the line of communication was cut between CL and her parents.
I think you are correct about the timeline. I do remember CL seemed to think everything appeared normal during the camping trip and she didn't think it was all that odd Gabby wasn't there. And remember BL was home without GP the month before too. If he was my son or my brother and I wasn't told what was going on my first thought the second time BL was there alone would probably be that the relationship was floundering. I'm pretty sure I'd not have concluded GP must be dead. I believe CL shared pictures to show how normal everything was on the trip Sept 6,7, and returning home Sept 8. But for her things changed after BL left for the swamp and the case got lots of attention. I also remember CL said the P's never called or texted her even though JP did they did.

TAMPA, Fla. – EXCLUSIVE: The first public glimpse of a confession Brian Laundrie left in a notebook in the Florida swamp where he killed himself last year reveals his final words.

"I ended her life," reads the note, which the FBI recovered from the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Oct. 20, 2021. "I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock."

Laundrie wrote that he chose to end Petito's life after she injured herself when she fell in Wyoming. He also wrote: "From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

He also wrote: "From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

<snip>

"Please do not make life harder for my family," the notebook states, "they lost a son and a daughter and a daughter – the most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I'm sorry."

Earlier in the note, he wrote: "I am sorry to my family. This is a shock to them as well [as] a terrible grief (sic)."

Last edited:
TAMPA, Fla. – EXCLUSIVE: The first public glimpse of a confession Brian Laundrie left in a notebook in the Florida swamp where he killed himself last year reveals his final words.

"I ended her life," reads the note, which the FBI recovered from the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on Oct. 20, 2021. "I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock."

He also wrote: "From the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn't go on without her."

<snip>

"Please do not make life harder for my family," the notebook states, "they lost a son and a daughter and a daughter – the most wonderful girl in the world. Gabby I'm sorry."

Earlier in the note, he wrote: "I am sorry to my family. This is a shock to them as well [as] a terrible grief (sic)."

Why does this strike me as ... very, very strange? I expected it to read something along the lines of, "We drove each other crazy and I just snapped after yet another huge, painful fight." Instead he's saying that he took it upon himself to end her supposed pain?? Like an assisted suicide? And he had no sense that there'd be repercussions? What pain is he referring to? Had they broken up?

The crossing the creek part is a bit confusing. Is he saying that she wanted to freeze to death, therefore she wanted him to sleep across the creek in the RV so that the fire would indeed go out so she could freeze, not wanting him to cross the creek to go back to her in the tent and stoke the fire?

*** EDITED TO ADD - I did not see all 8 pages of the journal entries when I typed the above. After reading them all now, I see what he was referring to by her pain. PLEASE IGNORE MY COMMENTS ABOVE!

Last edited:

<snip>

Well, that's pretty definitive. I wonder in what way he thought strangling her to death would be "merciful."

I suppose she asked him to do it? Yeah, okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay