Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no evidence to support this, but I'm hopeful that there's a chance the FBI does have eyes and ears on BL. Maybe they want BL to think that they don't know where he is. Since he isn't speaking to authorities or cooperating, maybe seeing where he goes, who he contacts, what he Googles, etc. can provide some answers.

The thought of BL sneaking away and committing suicide also crossed my mind. However, if BL's parents thought this was a possibility, I think they would have alerted authorities that he had fled when it happened.

Something about the "shoes-off" thing... that has been hard to articulate.

I'm not comfortable with BL's "anti-shoes" stance. I'm even less comfortable with GP's posts about BL's tendencies to go into the "wilderness" without shoes. Something about it feels very phony, and very weird. I don't believe it, and I don't understand why he'd go to such great lengths to perpetuate this. Here is why.

I'm also from NY, and I've also spent considerable time (nearly a decade) in FL and several years in the American West. These are three disparate climates.

I've been an avid outdoors-person for many years, and I spent some time in my past falling into the "no shoes" fad by wearing "barefoot" type shoes designed to minimize the interference a shoe would have with natural foot movement and feel on the actual ground.

All of that is fine and dandy. But gaining callouses from being barefoot in the American Northeast, with a humid and seasonal climate, is different than being barefoot in Florida, where it is humid and there are entirely different bacteria that live and grow in the soil. Then, of course, there is the West, with also another entirely different biome. It seems strange and unlikely that someone who spent such little time in all these areas would somehow manage to adapt to being barefoot in three entirely different climates, conditions and terrain. If anyone has more information on this, please chime in.

BL's (and purportedly GP's) publicizing of his barefoot-hiking tendencies make me feel uncomfortable. It feels so inauthentic. Even if authentic, it feels very rote. It does not reflect capabilities of a true outdoorsperson, or even of someone who is being upfront and honest. A lot of posturing?

I totally agree that the whole "no shoes" thing is handled weirdly. I mean, I never, ever wear hats. I just don't like them, never have. I don't wear them skiing, which is pretty unusual, and I don't wear baseball caps or straw hats to keep the sun off of my face and head. I just find them uncomfortable and unnecessary.

Above is literally the most I have ever said on the subject! I mean, every once in a while, people comment or offer me one or ask why I'm not wearing one, and I usually just say "nah, I'm fine, I don't really like hats. Thanks." I've never even really thought this much about it.

Why make such a big thing about being barefoot? I prefer wearing sneakers to hiking boots when I'm hiking even the most challenging terrain because I feel like I'm more agile when my ankles can move separately from my feet. Again, that is pretty much the most I've ever said about it.

The only thing I can think of is that he's just so boring and personality-less that he needs some defining feature so that he doesn't just feel like one in any old six-pack of people.

Very odd.

The thought of BL sneaking away and committing suicide also crossed my mind. However, if BL's parents thought this was a possibility, I think they would have alerted authorities that he had fled when it happened.
Unless he just told them by phone yesterday that he was considering suicide and that's why his parents called police.

I have no evidence to support this, but I'm hopeful that there's a chance the FBI does have eyes and ears on BL. Maybe they want BL to think that they don't know where he is. Since he isn't speaking to authorities or cooperating, maybe seeing where he goes, who he contacts, what he Googles, etc. can provide some answers.

I think it’s telling/important to remember that it was the attorney who contacted the police to report him missing. Clearly he was concerned about something enough that he contacted them.

BL fancies himself as a hiker and a real outdoorsman. Is LE checking the trails? There are alot of trails near North Port. The Florida Trail connects with the Appalachian Trail. Would that be the jurisdiction of the National Parks Service?
My heart breaks for GP parents and family. I can't begin to imagine what this is like. Now he's gone. It seemed in early interviews with her parents they were afraid this very thing could happen. Just gut wrenching.

IMO Someone is helping BL - I think he slipped out the back and was picked up during the night - or else he hasn’t been there and the parents are not being truthful about Tuesday. We now know her Van did not yield enough for an arrest warrant (LE said as much as this when they said there has been no crime) - someone knows where he is IMO and they need to come forward.

thanks @PommyMommy and @Seattle1 for keeping her media thread updated overnight!

I hope they have their cell phone pings and can narrow down their movements Aug25,26,27,28,29- and when exactly her Van was on its way back to Florida - my guess is 8/29 if we are to believe he returned sept 1 (where did LE get this information if the parents weren’t talking prior to last night?). Have the neighbors provided their videos (if they have them?) ? IIRC I remember it took a month to go through Mollies killers’ video to find his car.
jmo

There's questions I have about that TicTok couple who gave BL a ride. I can't seem to make sense of it. They said they picked him up at Colter Bay (which is a little northwest of Grand Teton) and that he wanted to go to "Jackson" (which is kind of south east of Grand Teton. When he found out they were going to Jackson Hole, they say he got agitated and wanted to get out of the car. So they dropped him off at Jackson Dam (which is mostly east of Grand Teton. What I don't understand is a) why it mattered much whether they were going to Jackson or Jackson Hole. Jackson is a little further south from Jackson Hole but you'd pretty much have to go through Jackson Hole to get there from Colter Bay or Jackson Dam. So, why get out at Jackson Dam.

cross, cross, apple sauce? what the....
Yes, I thought it strange for someone his age to use the phrase, "criss-cross applesauce," when referring to sitting down.

When I was a child it's what teachers used to call sitting "Indian style" with legs crossed in front.

I think Brian may be socially awkward as well as anti-social. Maybe he uses popular phrases instead of using his own words often, if that makes sense. He also tends to be repetitive and evasive, like when he was trying to answer the question officers asked
about grabbing Gabby's face. I still think he was not telling the whole truth about what happened.

Hopefully these things, as well as his nervous laughter and demeanor, will help anybody who comes into contact with him, identify him. If police find Brian, they may be able to get some answers out of him.

He can't stay in hiding forever.

Last edited:
Gosh I don’t know what to make of any of this. I think LE has been played, but exactly by whom? On the surface it seems most logical that BL drove the van home, then either was at his parents until he left like they said or he drove the van home and disappeared right then. BUT I’m not convinced he was the one who drove it home at all. I hope they’re checking the whereabouts of anyone close to him who could have helped him by going to retrieve the van. Such strange behavior by so many, and I’m not sure if there’s way more going on? LE seems pretty angry right now.

My scenario and opinion only...
BL’s parent’s may have encouraged their son to leave. They may have helped him leave. At the very least, they knew he left on Tuesday.
On Friday, they realized that the handgun they kept in their house was missing, and thought there was a chance he might kill himself or a situation might arise where he would be killed so they called their lawyer who called the police.
I think they called the police because they were suddenly concerned about their son’s welfare, not because they care where GP is.
I initially thought BL was already in South America somewhere. If he took a gun I doubt that now.

There's questions I have about that TicTok couple who gave BL a ride. I can't seem to make sense of it. They said they picked him up at Colter Bay (which is a little northwest of Grand Teton) and that he wanted to go to "Jackson" (which is kind of south east of Grand Teton. When he found out they were going to Jackson Hole, they say he got agitated and wanted to get out of the car. So they dropped him off at Jackson Dam (which is mostly east of Grand Teton. What I don't understand is a) why it mattered much whether they were going to Jackson or Jackson Hole. Jackson is a little further south from Jackson Hole but you'd pretty much have to go through Jackson Hole to get there from Colter Bay or Jackson Dam. So, why get out at Jackson Dam.

She wasn't hiding the fact that it was strange. She pointed out in the TikToks that Jackson Hole and Jackson are used interchangeably so they didn't understand why he freaked out when told Jackson Hole the second time. People here speculated that maybe he had the van parked near the dam and he just needed an excuse to get out of the van there.

I don't think the TikTok witness is lying but it's still very unclear whether it was him or mistaken identity.

I think it’s telling/important to remember that it was the attorney who contacted the police to report him missing. Clearly he was concerned about something enough that he contacted them.

Or the family just want to stay one step removed from any potential future charges as accessories after the fact.

Yeah, I’m really starting to believe BL did not fly/go home to FL 8/17-24. The only account I recall is the handwritten note by GP’s uncle and possibly verbal account relayed by GP’s mom. They were simply relaying information that was told to them by GP. they had no proof of this occurring.

surely the feds can and will verify whether BL or any of his friends/family were on flights to and from SLC/out west and FL.

I was on the fence also ...still am kinda

then I remember Gabby's Dad on the Nancy Grace Podcast when she asked her dad . .. said he cant talk about that or wouldn't talk...and its being investigated.

During this time at the hotel in SLC he sent Domino to Gabby room.... her dad only talked about Gabby getting the food and asking for help with blog thing and he did give me the impression BL wasn't there.

The storage excuse I thought came from BL mom/family to Gabby's mom or family....so I'm taking that with a grain of salt. Maybe it was something else and they didn't want GP's mom to know or to have to explain.

After the fight is seems a lot happened that we don't know JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members