Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
22-Year-Old Gabriella Petito Who Was Travelling Around USA In Van Disappears

In one Instagram post, her boyfriend said: "Downsizing our life to fit into this itty bitty van was the best decision we've ever made.

"With the limited space we wanted to take advantage of every inch, while also keeping everything minimalist."

On 10 July, Gabby said: "After going on our first road trip across the country in my tiny car, we felt like there was just so much we missed.

"Turning this Ford Transit essentially into a camper was such an adventure in itself, but I couldn't love the way it turned out more!"

She added: "All the places it's brought us so far have been amazing! As soon as we got to the Great Sand Dunes I didn't want to leave, there was so much to hike!"

The couple have shared pictures from Colorado Springs, Zion National Park, the Arches National Park, Mystic Hot Springs, Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Bryce Canyon National Park.

____

Her last Instagram, posted on August 25, shows her visiting the Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah with the caption 'Happy Halloween'. The pair were heading for Yellowstone National Park but Petito never made it.

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancé

I find it odd that the boyfriend didn't report anything to LE. We don't know yet, but it looks like he didn't even call her Mother seeing as she posted to no longer look for the van last night. It must have took him a few days to drive home to Florida alone so if he had called her, she would have known she wasn't in the van at the beginning of the weekend.

Petito lived in North Port, Florida, with her boyfriend after moving from Blue Point, NY where she grew up and attended Bayport - Blue Point High School two years ago.

Father Joseph, who moved to Vero Beach, Florida, in June to be closer to his daughter, described her as 'very, very free spirited'.

'Clothes didn't impress her. Cars didn't impress her. Experiences - that's what impressed her.'

The couple started their trip on July 2 after Petito attended her brother's graduation in New York on June 17. They planned to reach Portland, Oregon, and visit a family friend for Halloween.

The pair had documented their conversion of a 2012 Ford van into a camper and their life traveling in it on YouTube and Instagram, and were developing a social media presence under the name 'Nomadic Statik.'

Per their Instagram accounts, the pair began their trip on July 2 and traveled to Kansas' Monument Rocks, Colorado Springs, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Zion National Park and Bryce National Park in Utah and Canyonlands National Park.

'Downsizing out life to fit into this itty bitty van was the best decision we've ever made,' her boyfriend wrote on Instagram in early July.

'Sacrificing space to wake up in nature everyday has been no sacrifice at all.'

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancé

Last edited:
New article confirms:

“Laundrie has since returned to his Florida home with the 2012 Ford Transit van and her family says he has not been cooperating with the investigation into Petitio's disappearance.”

Someone upstream was wondering where the van was recovered for processing. So… FL after he got back?

NOT a good sign BF is not cooperating. Guessing this will be solved w tech forensics. Her phone pings, his, & hopefully GPS on van. Otherwise HOW will they find GP between WY & FL? Another horrible situation.

Woman missing on trip with boyfriend as mom fears texts were not sent by her

Van-lifer, 22, disappears after cross-country trip to Yellowstone with her fiancé | Daily Mail Online

Laundrie has since returned to his Florida home with the couple's 2012 Ford Transit van, which police said has since been recovered. He has reportedly hired an attorney and refused to cooperate with investigators, according to her family.

Neither Petito's family nor her boyfriend Laundrie could be reached for comment.

Father Joseph, who moved to Vero Beach, Florida, in June to be closer to his daughter, described her as 'very, very free spirited'.

'Clothes didn't impress her. Cars didn't impress her. Experiences - that's what impressed her.'

Since Petito's disappearance, her family has launched a *advertiser censored* that has accrued $5,000 in just six hours. They have also started a social media campaign on Facebook, <modsnip> where a number of national park visitors have claimed to recognize the pair's van.

Last edited by a moderator:
Petito lived in North Port, Florida, with her boyfriend after moving from Blue Point, NY where she grew up and attended Bayport - Blue Point High School two years ago.

The couple started their trip on July 2 after Petito attended her brother's graduation in New York on June 17. They planned to reach Portland, Oregon, and visit a family friend for Halloween.

The pair had documented their conversion of a 2012 Ford van into a camper and their life traveling in it on YouTube and Instagram, and were developing a social media presence under the name 'Nomadic Statik.'

Per their Instagram accounts, the pair began their trip on July 2 and traveled to Kansas' Monument Rocks, Colorado Springs, Great Sand Dunes National Park, Zion National Park and Bryce National Park in Utah and Canyonlands National Park.

'Downsizing out life to fit into this itty bitty van was the best decision we've ever made,' her boyfriend wrote on Instagram in early July.

'Sacrificing space to wake up in nature everyday has been no sacrifice at all.'

This article states they were leaving Tetons headed to Yellowstone but that Gabby never made it there. I wonder how they know this for sure? Gas station videos? Ranger station video? Highway cameras? Phone pings?

New article confirms:

“Laundrie has since returned to his Florida home with the 2012 Ford Transit van and her family says he has not been cooperating with the investigation into Petitio's disappearance.”

Someone upstream was wondering where the van was recovered for processing. So… FL after he got back?

NOT a good sign BF is not cooperating. Guessing this will be solved w tech forensics. Her phone pings, his, & hopefully GPS on van. Otherwise HOW will they find GP between WY & FL? Another horrible situation.

Woman missing on trip with boyfriend as mom fears texts were not sent by her

Questions from a newbie. How would her family know if he's cooperating or not? Would LE tell the family that and if so, is it usually something they'd want made public? To me it sounds like they're making a lot of things public that shouldn't be this early in an investigation. MOO

TIMELINE:
  • JULY 2: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie
  • AUG 24: Gabby was last seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
  • AUG 25: Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
  • AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
  • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
  • SEPT 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM

Questions from a newbie. How would her family know if he's cooperating or not? Would LE tell the family that and if so, is it usually something they'd want made public? To me it sounds like they're making a lot of things public that shouldn't be this early in an investigation. MOO
I can't say for sure but my guess is the Mom has been trying to get answers from the BF, and he's not talking. I'd guess that the Mom is in contact with LE looking for answers, and they told her he's not talking.

Sorry I disagree!
I dont think he's told anyone anything!
I think I read he got a.lawyer!

This article states they were leaving Tetons headed to Yellowstone but that Gabby never made it there. I wonder how they know this for sure? Gas station videos? Ranger station video? Highway cameras? Phone pings?
GP's mother stated that she last face-timed with her daughter when they were leaving the Tetons. That was the last visual by mom. She received a text a couple days later but mom can't confirm the text was actually sent from GP. By all accounts, GP went dark after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to WS!

Since Gabby & Brian were engaged, I’d imagine the family knows him & knows his contact info. So maybe he is refusing to communicate with family. But when people lawyer up very early on in situations like these, it is generally public knowledge & deemed uncooperative.

Giving the BF/fiance the benefit of the doubt… They could have argued & she walked off/he drove off in anger. When she didn’t answer later, he was pissed & drove home. If something bad happened to her in the interim, he’ll be spending his life under suspicion. Jmo.

SEP 13, 2021
New York woman, 22, who was traveling across country with boyfriend goes missing (nbcnews.com)
[...]

JP, her father, told Newsday Sunday that Gabrielle's disappearance felt like "drowning with your hands tied behind you."

"You can't describe it. There's nothing you can do. You can't control anything," he said.

Petito was traveling across the country in a white 2012 Ford Transit van with a Florida license plate, which police said since has been recovered. It was unclear where her vehicle was recovered.

Gabrielle Petito was on a FaceTime call with her mother on Aug. 23 or 24, Schmidt said Sunday. She said she received texts sent from her daughter's phone until Aug. 30, but wasn't sure whether her daughter sent them.

[...]

I don't know if it means anything but the Daily Mail article does say the family started the "Find Gabby" FB page, and set up a go fund me.

Snipped:
It should be noted this article did not include a conversation with the family:

“Neither Petito's family nor her boyfriend Laundrie could be reached for comment.”

This suggests the Daily Mail came across this information the same way others have (searching the internet) and the page still remains unverified as to who is the admin and is running it.

Last edited:
TIMELINE:
  • JULY 2: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie
  • AUG 24: Gabby was last seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
  • AUG 25: Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
  • AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
  • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
  • SEPT 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
The hotel is interesting. They were so gung-ho about living the dream, sleeping in that van. Were they fighting, or was Gabby souring on their big dream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BunnyLugsCacti