Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The samples with Brian's DNA:

I think it's to match up to DNA found at the crime scene ...maybe something that was not on Gabby's person, like an oddly placed sharp rock...

Or, you don't suppose they found some decomposed human remains in that swamp and need to identify?

Just thinking out loud.

You can have three witnesses of the SAME event with THREE different accounts as to what happened. Officers have this happen regularly. The officers tracked down the van to “see what the situation is,” look for evidence, and acted accordingly.

True. But in doing so, they ignored the least biased account of what happened, which was what the person who saw it happening saw and reported to 911 right away, as close as possible to the time when it was happening. LE gave more weight to what a DV and her aggressor said during the stop, and a written account that happened hours later. We know that DV victims and aggressors don't always give accurate accounts. The only person whose account had no real agenda and no time to have memory distortions was the person who called 911. Which we now know was accurately relayed to the officers.

As someone with expertise in memory, it's fascinating to me. The officers unconsciously edited their memory of the dispatch call to conform with the narrative that they jointly constructed, in collaboration with the DV victim and aggressor, at the scene. Aside from being tragic, it's also a fascinating example of the reconstructive nature of memory, and how biases enter narratives about events.

Has there been any word on the actual cause of death for GP? Though it may sound morbid whenever I look into cases such as these finding out about how the perp operates provide me a better psychological understanding of the individual. BL's a bit of enigmatic person so it be interesting to get more forensic details IMO.

A good police officer wouldn't have ignored a report that stated that a man had slapped a woman initially. Nor would they have sided and laughed with the male aggressor, and made the female DV victim feel like she was at fault. They deserve to be disciplined. IMO JMO MOO
I disagree. The situation was very weird and nuanced. You’re seeing it with 20/20 hindsight. They didn’t have that advantage.

Do you need a warrant to collect DNA? I don’t recall seeing that in the original warrant.

ETA: I’ll bet unknown DNA was discovered under Gabby’s finger nails. They would need DNA from a donor to match it or disprove it.

MOO
I think they do if they can't get a sample voluntarily or when needed for a criminal investigation. Having his DNA profile serves two purposes in this case. One for identification purposes, and the other is for linking him to the homicide. (Or excluding him) Jmo

Has there been any word on the actual cause of death for GP? Though it may sound morbid whenever I look into cases such as these finding out about how the perp operates provide me a better psychological understanding of the individual. BL's a bit of enigmatic person so it be interesting to get more forensic details IMO.
Not yet.
It's very hard to speculate on where a person might be located if you only have minimal information about their character and nature..

We could easily see the finger marks on the outside of her right arm when she was sitting in the van. I don't understand how that was not glaringly obvious to someone standing there speaking to her. IMO.
Axon bodycam resolution, contrast, hightlights, pixel count, hue/saturation/luminance, etc are not the same as the human eye.

This is controversial; sure. But it’s just my opinion. I think with the incident with the body cam video she was more at fault/the “aggressor” than he was. In that specific situation. Overall; no. But as I’ve said before: hindsight is 20/20. None of us were there.

I’m guessing a toothbrush and a hair brush. Just a guess.

edited to add: I realize he’s bald. But he hasn’t always been.

I'll bet a few dozen donuts he's no longer bald (if he's alive). Best way for him to go unrecognized. His DNA would also be ample on any musical instruments he played or the pens he used for his pen and ink drawings...

How much video of the female LE interacting with GP have you watched? You have decided what is in the male cops mind with snippets of video. I assume you know every little detail of what happened outside of the bodycam footage?
Most of us watched the whole video, not snippets. Most of us who have experienced a partner who "gave us time", then told us when TIME WAS UP know all too well what went on that day. IMO he pulled the plug on her internet upload, she objected as it ruined her entire day's work, and he paid her back by slapping and hitting her then trying to steal her van and her belongings. Her van, her project to finance the trip. But HE wanted to go hiking, and described her internet project dismissively to the cops as LITTLE.

The retired female FBI agent who Brian Entin interviewed the other day said she has never seen that happen. MOO

I recall an instance where a woman faked her own disappearance (I believe it was “The Runaway Bride”) and when they discovered that her disappearance had unnecessarily incited a costly wild goose chase, she was sent a bill to cover the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odiwakar