Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. BL was a POI with an attorney. What could they do until there was a warrant to arrest him? As far as surveillance, why would they? Someone with an attorney doesn't appear to be someone who is going to flee, do they? Besides, how often do police engage in surveillance anyway?

Exactly. At the time, nobody knew Gabby was dead. Nobody knew there was DV during the trip. Nobody knew, and so (moo) it’s wrong of us to sit here in hindsight and say what the police should have done, or blame them for not watching him when it’s most likely he was already gone. It’s not illegal for adults to go off and hide for a bit, so that would have been the first assumption, and so BL wasn’t suspected of a crime at that point. Surveillance would have been unreasonable. But again, I think it’s a moot point since you can’t surveil someone who is already on the run and he was probably long gone by that day. It’s only once all the pieces started coming together that everyone realized she is dead, he is in hiding, and the parents seem dishonest.

Yep, any one of the protesters, leisurely walkers, or anyone else could be doing surveillance, IMOO. All that person would need to do is send a quick text and a car several blocks away could start tailing them. That would be the old-fashioned way. In this day and age, as I noted before, a GPS tracker would simplify that tremendously. An agent could be parked blocks away and receive an auto-notification that one of the L's vehicles was moving and be ready to follow.

Simply my amateur option and supposition.

Exactly.

ATM’s or cash machines as we say in the uk generally have CCTV so he could have potentially got cash out to further establish an alibi, plus he’s then got cash for the journey home. MOO

Yes we have cctv here at atm machines too in the United States. Our society as a whole also have surveillance camera's almost everywhere we go. Stores, highways, gas stations, bridges and tunnels. I'm sure the FBI has been pouring over all the video data they have and probably knew exactly where and when BL was using the debit card, hence the arrest warrant for dates he shouldn't have been using it.

SBM.
I’m just wondering why this would be if she were left in the open for nearly 3 weeks? You’d think at night wildlife would have discovered a body in the open.

Wouldn’t that be amazing if we find out that indeed, she was not touched by wildlife? I doubt it but that would add onto the bizarreness of this case.

I was just thinking about the money that was offered to the tiktok woman from a suspected BL for hitchhiking, is there a town in between where GP was found and where they apparently picked him up? So he could withdraw cash, and maybe this is what the warrant is about?Having $200 is a lot of cash (to me anyway) to be carrying around and offering to someone. All my opinion.
When Miranda Baker picked him up hitchhiking, she said he looked clean and had minimal hiking/camping equipment. He said he had a tarp, but I don't think that she saw a tarp. She picked him up at or outside of Colter Bay. So, he must have showered at a campground or somewhere near there. If he didn't find an ATM, using Gabby's card, then he already had the 200 bucks when he set off on his "hike". Why on earth would he offer that amount of money for a 10 or so, mile ride? All I can think is that she misheard him, or that he wanted to make sure that she remembered him and his (unnecessarily) uttered statements about his fiancé working on her web page at the van in the campground he was hiking to. Setting up an alibi. We have heard nothing about what he did near or in Colter Bay.... no report of seeing him at an ATM or a campground, or restaurant, or food store. Maybe FBI knows, but we sure don't. And his current federal charges do not include any purchases or money transactions from the 27th through the 29th. He was reportedly seen buying gas at 11pm in Jackson WY on the 29th...but I don't think charges include that, so maybe he paid cash. Supposedly, he had 200 bucks to do that. JMO

Yes we have cctv here at atm machines too in the United States. Our society as a whole also have surveillance camera's almost everywhere we go. Stores, highways, gas stations, bridges and tunnels. I'm sure the FBI has been pouring over all the video data they have and probably knew exactly where and when BL was using the debit card, hence the arrest warrant for dates he shouldn't have been using it.
Good point. If he withdrew cash on 9/29 in Colter Village (as I think his offer of $200 in cash for a ride suggests), he was probably using his own card. And with the photo that is automatically taken when someone uses an ATM, it would have been another piece of his potential alibi.

Personally, I do not believe these people have masterminded a great escape for BL. Frankly, I think it is just as it looked. BL left to the preserve to commit suicide after telling his parents he’d be gone on a hike for a period of time. Maybe he planned a suicide-by-nature, but I do not believe he is alive. I think it looks like more than it is because of how his parents are responding to the situation.

MOO.

A lot has been made of BL using Gabby's van and cards. In fact, it is the use of those cards that have gotten a federal warrant issued for BL's address. However, IMO, it happens often SO's use each others' vehicles and cards without a thought. Not something I would recommend, but I see it often enough that I don't believe BL did it as a deliberate theft attempt. I dont' think it was even on his mind. I believe he made a mindless rush to get back to home and parents as fast as he could.

For Gabby and her family, it is a good thing that she allowed shared used of resources as it is the only thing that is giving a legal manacle on BL at this time.

A lot has been made of BL using Gabby's van and cards. In fact, it is the use of those cards that have gotten a federal warrant issued for BL's address. However, IMO, it happens often SO's use each others' vehicles and cards without a thought. Not something I would recommend, but I see it often enough that I don't believe BL did it as a deliberate theft attempt. I dont' think it was even on his mind. I believe he made a mindless rush to get back to home and parents as fast as he could.

For Gabby and her family, it is a good thing that she allowed shared used of resources as it is the only thing that is giving a legal manacle on BL at this time.

This is exactly what I think. I personally didn't know until this case just how serious "card sharing" can be as a crime (I'm not talking about actual theft) in that the crime is against the bank, not the card holder. I really feel he just didn't even think and continued to use what he saw as shared resources. It is fortunate that it gave the FBI an easy indictment to pin on BL. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stella Stiletto