Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This 20 20 show seems full of inaccuracies to me. For one thing they said the van was bought by both of them.
Well the FBI never says the van was stolen!
Sooo being they were not married it had to be in someone’s name. Did they each pay half
Who paid the Insurance?
Another thing if it was registered back to Brian’s house abs the van ended up back there it was not stolen correct?

Who knows!

So, I am not criticizing anyone, just going to make an observation here. As others have noted, Gabby and BL are almost blank slates to us. We know only the very small, curated versions they chose to post online. We saw them more clearly in the Moab stop and feel we have more insight into their lives because of it.

Reading through the posts, however, I see so many posts projecting that “maybe Gabby did this because it happened to me once.” Or “maybe BL did this Bc my ex did this once.” I just want to point out that our own life experiences may not have any relation to these two people and what they experienced. That may react nothing like us and process things differently than us. We just don’t know.

I love the theories, I’m just saying that sleuthing actual facts through the small amount available to us is not necessarily the same as applying what’s happened to our lives. I understand the tendency but I think it has begun to skew how these 2 people have been portrayed. We just don’t know them. I know what I think I may have done in Gabby’s situation but my reaction may he nothing at all like hers.

JMO.

Similarly, the ideas we have in our heads cause confusion when different information comes out. Like it seems possible now that GP was involved in a dine and dash, or was the type of customer who demands refunds, and this conflicts with prevailing ideas about her. So different explanations come up that seem complicated and unlikely. But it could simply be that she really did this as reported by the manager. None of this in any way justifies her murder, or even has anything at all to do with her murder. MOO

Edit - I don't really understand why we are trying so hard to justify potential theft but I think this ties into that. We don't have to explain away theft in order to fully support GP as a victim. It's unrelated.

Last edited:
I'm not allowed to speculate on any matter but what is known. However, I will just offer the (most likely irrelevant) fact that very often a murder happens for the purpose of silencing someone who knows too much, or found out something that could not, under any circumstances, get out. Not saying that is the case here, but I am saying it's as good a possibility as any other speculation. Imoo.

Perhaps they found a piece of meat in what was supposed to be a vegan meal. They could have just got up and left out of disgust. Obviously I have no idea if that was the case but that would be upsetting to vegans/vegetarians.

Split tab-one person pays while another patron in the party doesn't realize the tab has been split.
Payment is left in cash, server doesn't realize or it gets picked up by someone else.
Payment is left in cash but not enough (i.e. bill is $40 and patron thought they left 2-20's but they left a 20 and a 10).
Or in this case, a restaurant charges 18% gratuity. Patron leaves just enough money to cover the tab, refusing to pay the gratuity, then the bill isn't completely paid.
Split tab-one person pays while another patron in the party doesn't realize the tab has been split.
Seriously doubt this was the case at MP.
Payment is left in cash, server doesn't realize or it gets picked up by someone else.
I don't think this happened at MP. They paid with a card on the sidewalk.
Payment is left in cash but not enough (i.e. bill is $40 and patron thought they left 2-20's but they left a 20 and a 10).
They paid with a card.
Or in this case, a restaurant charges 18% gratuity. Patron leaves just enough money to cover the tab, refusing to pay the gratuity, then the bill isn't completely paid.
If the bill isn't completely paid, it's Dine and Dash. And if they didn't like the food and punished the waitress for it, that's lousy.

I don't know, and nobody knows all the details. I'm just going to say that IF it was leaving without paying, for any reason, it's Dine and Dash. And I don't understand all the twisting into a pretzel to somehow justify it. Sure, the examples you gave are possible, but IMO, not probable in this case. MOO.

I understand that, I guess I didn't know that servers hung on to all the cash payments, plus all the charged transactions til the end of their shift.....sort of risky, to me, for the establishment. What if all the charges are drenched in water or coffee, by mishap? I just thought there was a designated person as keeper of the intake. That's a burden on waitstaff, but I suppose you are right. jmo
They don't hold onto them. They handle the transactions immediately. As for me, when I was a teen I was a waitress at a ma & pa coffee shop. I'd either take the payment from the table, ring up in the register myself (and make the change), or hand over to the owner to handle, give me back the change, which I in turn returned to the person paying. JMO. I can't speak for all restaurants.

Perhaps they found a piece of meat in what was supposed to be a vegan meal. They could have just got up and left out of disgust. Obviously I have no idea if that was the case but that would be upsetting to vegans/vegetarians.

I am a vegetarian. It would be gross to me, but I would summon the waiter or manager to complain. I would not just walk out without paying. I don't understand the effort to justify theft. MOO

I'm not allowed to speculate on any matter but what is known. However, I will just offer the (most likely irrelevant) fact that very often a murder happens for the purpose of silencing someone who knows too much, or found out something that could not, under any circumstances, get out. Not saying that is the case here, but I am saying it's as good a possibility as any other speculation. Imoo.
It's a possibility that the 27th text to mom that mom hasn't divulged is telling mom what happened at the restaurant...and Brian, who was always snatching her phone, saw the text. jmo

Websleuths is filled with stories of women being murdered. Whether it's a stranger or someone you're involved with the story always seem the same. Not being in the legal profession myself I don't know what makes one murder worse or better than the next one.

How charges are higher for one murder as opposed to lower charges for another. I don't know how charges are determined by the DA's office in any case.

What I do know at this point in this particular case is that no one is ever going to face charges for Gabby Petito's murder.

If BL hadn't died I wonder what charges he would have faced. Would he have taken a plea deal with lesser charges so that one day he'd see the light of day? Would charges have been higher with DP as a option? Or would it have been a trial by jury with charges somewhere in between?

Will we ever hear evidence to satisfy our need to know? Will it really matter at the end of the day with both victim and suspect dead? I know Gabby mattered and I know she didn't deserve to die, but can't that be said for all women, children, and the missing that have never been found?

I believe all women who wind up in toxic relationships deserve to live a complete and full life, but what is wrong with those who chose to kill instead of leaving? This I suppose will always be the big question until it happens again to another innocent woman or child. JMO

I am a vegetarian. It would be gross to me, but I would summon the waiter or manager to complain. I would not just walk out without paying. I don't understand the effort to justify theft. MOO
Oh I'm not justifying it. Just wondering if there is a scenario where they might have been upset enough to walk out. Of course it wouldn't be the best way to handle it. I don't eat meat myself and wouldn't walk out in that scenario. But others may differ.

She also complained and was not charged, she didn't just walk out. jmo
But cady, I may be wrong but I think the OP was asking for an example of just that: "There can be circumstances where someone can leave without paying and it's not dine and dash."

True. But any super-busy restaurant of the caliber of MP would have hostesses. (And Google reviews for MP mention hostesses.) MP also has a wait list so people aren't just seating themselves willy-nilly. A hostess would be able to track down the server because she will know which server was assigned to a particular table.
JMO

Something just occurred to me - being as it was the waitress who followed them out- could the issue have been that they didn’t leave a tip? Maybe that’s why they’re being so tight lipped about it? It’s not a good look pr wise.

I think that they arrived on the 26th and slept in the van. I do not think that they set up a tent out there, so far away from the van, which was not supposed to be parked there, for any amount of time , to begin with. The van was not parked at a numbered campsite. The hike to a tent out there across 2 streams is really a stretch. jmo

I agree.
I don't think they set up or slept in a tent across the creek.
But I do believe Gabby died where she was found and here's why:

I'm thinking perhaps Gabby had pre-planned to do a sunset photo/video shoot looking back over the mountains from across the creek in the late afternoon / early evening of the 27th, that BL had initially agreed to that and they crossed Spread Creek together... for that purpose.
I'm guessing/assuming BL was experiencing elevated negative emotions left over from the apparent fiasco at Merry Piglets.
I'll even venture to say there is a good chance they were arguing... again.
Once on the other side, his tolerance level already depleted... Gabby's sunset clock was ticking.

Perhaps Gabby said something or started crying... again.
Imo, that something was the deciding trigger that threw BL's circuits into overload.

imo
Going back to how Gabby so vividly described and displayed how easily BL grabbed her face, without hesitation just 15 days earlier, on August 12th...
If there was an ounce of hesitation, any desire, whatsoever, to stop and/or walk away that might have existed in the recent past... that concept was abruptly dismissed the moment his fingertips touched the delicate skin of Gabby's neck.

I’m not totally understanding the relevance of the dine and dash conversation. Does it matter in the context of Gabby’s death why she left the restaurant? I do understand if she had an argument with BL, it’s very relevant as he likely ended up killing her. But if they chose to leave because they didn’t agree with a tip, didn’t like the service, or even just felt like being obnoxious… does it further the investigation into the circumstances of her death?

Oh I'm not justifying it. Just wondering if there is a scenario where they might have been upset enough to walk out. Of course it wouldn't be the best way to handle it. I don't eat meat myself and wouldn't walk out in that scenario. But others may differ.

Yes I see. They were apparently quite dissatisfied with something about their meal!

Oh I dont know about that!

A hair in the food? Yep, that's usually a comp. It's an old con-artist trick too. Cleanliness is the one thing that restaurants are super sensitive about. Once I found a live inch-worm in my salad. I got my meal comped and a free one for the future. lol

I don't think that was BL/GP complaint, though. I looked on google reviews, and the most common complaint against the Merry Piglets was for bad service. That's a tough one to try and base a refund on.

But cady, I may be wrong but I think the OP was asking for an example of just that: "There can be circumstances where someone can leave without paying and it's not dine and dash."
I see. If there's a complaint and a comped meal, that happens often. I thought OP was justifying a walk out because of hair in the person's food. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces