Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #81

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but like many things its up to the park service to enforce it. The van was unmoved in that unmarked spot for at least 3 days and didn't get so much as a warning note. The Park Service must be overwhelmed and/or understaffed.

So did they have to pay for that camping spot or was if free there?

if they had money problems, how did he still over $1000 from her just a few days later?
That may have been an emergency fund given to her by one of her parents for emergencies or some such?

I'm pretty sure he phoned home in advance, why did he not ask his parents to wire him funds?
The arrogance and sense of entitlement in him is astounding!
MOO

I think they had a budget to make it to see her other grandma. You have this amount of money divided by days. Could have been the reason the MP bill might have upset them. Still not sure about the MP.

In the beginning, I read that the incident happened with BL going in and out yelling and the manager didn't see it happening. No video cameras in the area they were seated, I think the back area? Anyone remember where that was? Disregard if no one remembers that. jmo

So did they have to pay for that camping spot or was if free there?

I'm pretty sure they are free, but some places have marked spots because of overuse. They are first come first served. You just ride through the area and check to see if a marked spot is unoccupied and if so you just pull in and set up camp. If you leave for the day you give up the spot unless you are willing to leave something major there to show you are using it. Thats easy for people with 5th wheels are RV towing vehicles, but most van people don't like to leave stuff behind when they go places.

• Due to over use and high impacts, certain areas in the Jackson Hole Valley have had designated sites numbered for use. This is to help lessen the amount of impact on the resource.
Bridger-Teton National Forest - Dispersed Camping Areas (Undeveloped Campground)

Perhaps they had a argument about whose turn it was to pay or was one of them expecting to split the bill? IMO perhaps due to their argument, they walked out of the restaurant forgetting to pay. I certainly think they ate there as we've seen the bill. But paying on the pavement doesn't make sense to me as few people pay with cash these days nor does GP going in to ask for her money back. Did Brian pay for both, then GP paid additionally for her own and realised later that her share had been paid twice? The customer witness claimed that Brian was the one who was angry yet the Manager claimed that Brian was calm. Brian going into the restaurant four times then Gabby going back in later to apologise for Brian's behaviour seems to be an excessive amount of times.

Whatever happened, IMO GP and BL had money problems. When I travel with someone we have a special purse where we both put in an equal amount of cash and payments are made out of that kitty except when we have to pay by credit card in which case, we spit the bill.

BBM

We haven't seen their bill. The bill we saw was for the Tik Toker witness and her husband. She put it out to prove she ate there. Just luck she happened to keep the bill, I guess. Or maybe she got a copy when she decided to go public.
JMO

if they had money problems, how did he steal over $1000 from her just a few days later?
In my opinion, we don't know if he "stole" money from the account(s) with her name on them. I believe it was her father who said they saved together for the trip--they could have pooled the money into her account. In any event, they still needed a good sum of money to complete and could have had thousands in the bank and still had money troubles.

In my opinion, we don't know if he "stole" money from the account(s) with her name on them. I believe it was her father who said they saved together for the trip--they could have pooled the money into her account. In any event, they still needed a good sum of money to complete and could have had thousands in the bank and still had money troubles.
You reckon the Federal Warrant is a sham?

At least $1000?
I don't think so.
Why don't you think so? They still had 1000 miles to drive plus however many side trips they planned to take. They still had 2 more months planned on their trip to reach Oregon by Halloween. They must have had money set aside for that. Unless you are saying GP is so incompetent she can't plan ahead that far. They'd probably need $1000 more just to eat basic rations, but we know they didn't always eat basic rations. They visited restaurants and shops and other places of business and spent money. So a lot more than $1000 was going to be needed to finish the trip.

Perhaps they had a argument about whose turn it was to pay or was one of them expecting to split the bill? IMO perhaps due to their argument, they walked out of the restaurant forgetting to pay. I certainly think they ate there as we've seen the bill. But paying on the pavement doesn't make sense to me as few people pay with cash these days nor does GP going in to ask for her money back. Did Brian pay for both, then GP paid additionally for her own and realised later that her share had been paid twice? The customer witness claimed that Brian was the one who was angry yet the Manager claimed that Brian was calm. Brian going into the restaurant four times then Gabby going back in later to apologise for Brian's behaviour seems to be an excessive amount of times.

Whatever happened, IMO GP and BL had money problems. When I travel with someone we have a special purse where we both put in an equal amount of cash and payments are made out of that kitty except when we have to pay by credit card in which case, we spit the bill.

Good post, but I look at it a little bit differently.

IMO, the most important thing about the MP incident is that Gabby went back and asked for a refund. They had the money to pay the bill. The bill was paid. So, they must have thought they had a legitimate complaint and that's why they walked. Who knows if their complaint was actually legit. They are young and young people are caught up in their own righteousness. (I certainly was at that age.) The only other way I can see this is if Gabby asked for the refund to placate Brian, keep him calm. I don't actually believe that, though.

What's going to happen about the credit card of over $1,000 fraud now? Everyone seems to have forgotten about that.
Nothing I would guess. MOO
Unless the bank that has the account in question goes after the living relatives of BL for payment.

Unless the bank that has the account in question goes after the living relatives of BL for payment.

Do banks in the US cover their customers for fraud via insurance? My hunch is that this money could have belonged to one of GP's bio parents.

I don't think the bank can go after relatives that way. A bank couldn't even go after the parent of an adult child to collect a fully legitimate debt like the adult child's own unpaid credit card balance (unless the parent was a co-signer.) And the charge re: $1000 BL faced is not proven and won't ever be.

Since the bank has admitted the use was fraudulent, that likely means the account doesn't lose the money, the bank does.

Good post, but I look at it a little bit differently.

IMO, the most important thing about the MP incident is that Gabby went back and asked for a refund. They had the money to pay the bill. The bill was paid. So, they must have thought they had a legitimate complaint and that's why they walked. Who knows if their complaint was actually legit. They are young and young people are caught up in their own righteousness. (I certainly was at that age.) The only other way I can see this is if Gabby asked for the refund to placate Brian, keep him calm. I don't actually believe that, though.

I wonder if Gabby actually was given the refund?

Regardless of who put the money in the account, only the owner listed is considered an authorized user by the bank. The Feds wanted Brian and this was the way to bring him in. That's not to say he would ever have been charged with anything.
So you don't think the bank would go after anybody for misuse of an account that they oversee?
Quite unlikely IMO Especially considering fraud is a felony.

Why don't you think so? They still had 1000 miles to drive plus however many side trips they planned to take. They still had 2 more months planned on their trip to reach Oregon by Halloween. They must have had money set aside for that. Unless you are saying GP is so incompetent she can't plan ahead that far. They'd probably need $1000 more just to eat basic rations, but we know they didn't always eat basic rations. They visited restaurants and shops and other places of business and spent money. So a lot more than $1000 was going to be needed to finish the trip.
HE spent over $1000 on HER credit cards after he presumably throttled her to death.

Do banks in the US cover their customers for fraud via insurance? My hunch is that this money could have belonged to one of GP's bio parents.
I believe banks do this, yes. Can't remember exactly though. I am not in banking. It has been said by Gabby's parents before that they've helped her with money before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1