Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
Not to mention much of Gabby's YT video looks to be from older trips and almost nothing from this trip.

I agree with your Insta model/influencer thought. Although we have absolutely no idea what Gabby could have been thinking about; perhaps even she didn't know what she wanted to achieve with any of this.
MOO

True, we don't know what they were planning. But you can tell a lot from the evolution of her Instagram. Initially I really believe she just wanted to post pictures of herself on Instagram, maybe do some modeling type of thing. (I did some reading about this last night and how the pressure of social media causes so much anxiety in young people, going after "likes" and approval on SM. It can be crushing).

Link to one article: Social Media Narcissism in Young Adults

Maybe she wanted to be an Instagram model, she sure did some of that with certain outfits - you can see that on her Insta account - and then I believe that she and Brian talked about their future plans, and decided they had some goals that lined up (organic farming or other nontraditional ways of living out West) but she stated in public they wanted to just "travel full time" (her Youtube account) and maybe thought later that they could monetize it. But the issue of money was probably causing strife between them, how best to do it, so Gabby started to portray herself as more of an athletic outdoorsy person - a hiker, (she describes herself that way in some of her Instagram posts at Arches in 2021).

It was the info under her Youtube video in August where she posted that she wanted to travel full time. Well, you need money to do that. I just think that question of how to get money was a source of tension between them, and that they really didn't have a clear plan for business or making money when they started their trip.

They were not getting any monetization of their trip even at the point where it ended, with her being killed. From what we can find online, they had online shops. BL sold his "art" and Gabby sold clothes and accessories and things. That does not bring in enough money to fund traveling either. (You can still see the prices online in their shops). I think the parents were probably at the point where they wanted these two to cut loose from being so financial dependent on them. I know from experience how much friction money can cause in a relationship - a lot!

JMO but their lack of a good plan to make money might have had a lot to do with their escalating arguments.

MOO

Last edited:

The biggest thing I'm wondering about - what is in BL's notebook. This quote is from the story:

"If the contents of the notebook are legible, the next question is whether they’d ever be publicly released.

“Unless there is a civil or criminal proceeding in this case, it’s quite possible we will never know the contents of the notebook,” 8 On Your Side Investigative Journalist and former New York City prosecutor Mahsa Saeidi said."

So we might never find out. Or there might be a civil case brought by Gabby's family.

Looking forward to see what the Forensic Anthropologist examining BL has to say: cause of death, time of death.. As I read through statements made by SB, so much continues to not make sense.

Did the divers just skip over the Ls hiked trail area??? The one that was specifically pointed out, so specifically that the Ls bee-lined for it when the reserve reopened ? It’s hard to believe these highly trained experts did look in the area and missed the back pack, dry bag AND remains- all still neatly by the trail despite the flooding water movement …

9/22/21

“The team, made up of about 10 divers, was requested by North Port Police on Wednesday morning, said Sarasota County Sheriff's office spokesperson Kaitlyn Perez.

"These divers are specifically trained and very talented in low visibility bodies of water," Perez said. "They dive down where you and I can't see anything at all. They utilize technology and other special equipment to help them get down deep into really deep bodies of water, so they're out there right now to recover whatever it is that they might find."

The fourth day of searching the reserve ended Wednesday evening, according to officials.

"Nothing found. We will be back out Thursday, similar operation," North Port Police tweeted.”

Couple was involved in an incident in a Wyoming restaurant in late August, witnesses say - CNN

10/20/21

"Chris and Roberta Laundrie were at the reserve earlier today when human remains and some of Brian's possessions were located in an area where they had initially advised law enforcement that Brian may be," Bertolino said. "Chris and Roberta will wait for the forensic identification of the human remains before making any additional comments."

Brian Laundrie's parents had 'advised' law enforcement to look in the location where apparent human remains were found, their lawyer says

10/22/21

“As for how the family knew where to look, Bertolino said that Chris had hiked with Brian on several prior occasions and the area was too flooded to get off of the path during prior searches.”

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie family attorney speaks out after discovery of Brian's remains

Another topic that’s been thoroughly hashed and rehashed, but still bugs the heck out of me.

Also in article 2, the initial inaccuracy of when BL went missing, first reported as 9/14, because as SB explains , Ls were confused by other events of the week, but then in article 3:

“"Brian had been extremely upset, Chris and Roberta were extremely concerned about him, they expressed that to me. That when he walked out the door that evening, they wish they could have stopped him, they wish they could have you know, prevented him from going out, but he was intent on leaving. Chris said to me, I know in hindsight I couldn't stop him, but I just wish I could have," he said.”

But then they forgot this was Monday night?? After they searched for him 4-5 hrs on Monday night and SB “mentioned”( not “reported”) it to the FBI Monday night, but still they ALL let the wrong date ride on the misper?

As I’ve been reading this thread there’s been musings over the Ls cooperation and possible ‘culpability’ or responsibility. IMO it didn’t appear as though there was much (to any) care for Gabby, and a confusing public lack of outcry to their son. But that’s moo.

Of interest here, right from the horses mouth (SB), about the Ls cooperation.

(From 3rd article)

“"Is that because they've been cooperating with the FBI," Stephanopoulos asked.

"George, I've been quite clear on this from the very beginning. When it comes to the FBI we have nothing to say in respect to the Gabby Petito incident. With respect to Brian, we've been cooperating since day one. And those are two different, from a legal perspective, those are two different scenarios, one was the missing persons with Brian, one was the missing persons with Gabby." “

BBM

MOO

ETA. Crazy, I have been looking and asking when BL left for his hike on 9/13. Even rereading these, my mind doesn’t read what it thinks it knows. I just realized SB said BL “walked out the door that EVENiNG”!!
But they then claim after he didn’t come back they searched for 4-5 hrs on Monday night?

I’ve even started to ponder “what evening?”. Sept 13th seems the more obvious day for him to disappear but…the dates were already messed up once BUT, as far as I have seen there is no footage before Sept 13th of the Laundrie house. We know when the car wasn’t there thanks to news reports but there is no footage of the car leaving the house. It wasn’t there when CL was mowing the lawn earlier that day (Sept 13th). What if BL left on Sat 11th when everything came to light or even on Sun 12th? I’ve tried looking for anything the moment the van was towed on Sept 11th but nothing. It would also make sense why there was a police notice on the car at the reserve after only two days, perhaps those two days were actually 4. Has anyone ever said they saw the Mustang leave the house? The police cams, the neighbours, anyone? Aside from the L’s who already messed up on dates…
JMO.

DNA under Gabby's nails to finally show evidence it was 100% Brian. IMO.

They were boyfriend and girlfriend. It's an absolute given that each will have the DNA of the other on them, especially when they were living together and sleeping together in such a confined space.

DNA under Gabby's nails wouldn't prove that BL killed her. It could prove they'd had another fight at some point prior to her death, where she had scratched him (as shown on the police body cam footage). I don't believe the DNA of one intimate partner on another definitively proves guilt, and BL's DNA under Gabby's fingernails would only prove that she had scratched him, not that he had killed her.

MOO

They were boyfriend and girlfriend. It's an absolute given that each will have the DNA of the other on them, especially when they were living together and sleeping together in such a confined space.

DNA under Gabby's nails wouldn't prove that BL killed her. It could prove they'd had another fight at some point prior to her death, where she had scratched him (as shown on the police body cam footage). I don't believe the DNA of one intimate partner on another definitively proves guilt, and BL's DNA under Gabby's fingernails would only prove that she had scratched him, not that he had killed her.

MOO
Nah there's a difference between normal living together DNA or a 'scratch' and rolled skin under nails that is indicative of a struggle.

Looking forward to see what the Forensic Anthropologist examining BL has to say: cause of death, time of death.. As I read through statements made by SB, so much continues to not make sense.

Did the divers just skip over the Ls hiked trail area??? The one that was specifically pointed out, so specifically that the Ls bee-lined for it when the reserve reopened ? It’s hard to believe these highly trained experts did look in the area and missed the back pack, dry bag AND remains- all still neatly by the trail despite the flooding water movement …

9/22/21

“The team, made up of about 10 divers, was requested by North Port Police on Wednesday morning, said Sarasota County Sheriff's office spokesperson Kaitlyn Perez.

"These divers are specifically trained and very talented in low visibility bodies of water," Perez said. "They dive down where you and I can't see anything at all. They utilize technology and other special equipment to help them get down deep into really deep bodies of water, so they're out there right now to recover whatever it is that they might find."

The fourth day of searching the reserve ended Wednesday evening, according to officials.

"Nothing found. We will be back out Thursday, similar operation," North Port Police tweeted.”

Couple was involved in an incident in a Wyoming restaurant in late August, witnesses say - CNN

10/20/21

"Chris and Roberta Laundrie were at the reserve earlier today when human remains and some of Brian's possessions were located in an area where they had initially advised law enforcement that Brian may be," Bertolino said. "Chris and Roberta will wait for the forensic identification of the human remains before making any additional comments."

Brian Laundrie's parents had 'advised' law enforcement to look in the location where apparent human remains were found, their lawyer says

10/22/21

“As for how the family knew where to look, Bertolino said that Chris had hiked with Brian on several prior occasions and the area was too flooded to get off of the path during prior searches.”

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie family attorney speaks out after discovery of Brian's remains

Another topic that’s been thoroughly hashed and rehashed, but still bugs the heck out of me.

Also in article 2, the initial inaccuracy of when BL went missing, first reported as 9/14, because as SB explains , Ls were confused by other events of the week, but then in article 3:

“"Brian had been extremely upset, Chris and Roberta were extremely concerned about him, they expressed that to me. That when he walked out the door that evening, they wish they could have stopped him, they wish they could have you know, prevented him from going out, but he was intent on leaving. Chris said to me, I know in hindsight I couldn't stop him, but I just wish I could have," he said.”

But then they forgot this was Monday night?? After they searched for him 4-5 hrs on Monday night and SB “mentioned”( not “reported”) it to the FBI Monday night, but still they ALL let the wrong date ride on the misper?

As I’ve been reading this thread there’s been musings over the Ls cooperation and possible ‘culpability’ or responsibility. IMO it didn’t appear as though there was much (to any) care for Gabby, and a confusing public lack of outcry to their son. But that’s moo.

Of interest here, right from the horses mouth (SB), about the Ls cooperation.

(From 3rd article)

“"Is that because they've been cooperating with the FBI," Stephanopoulos asked.

"George, I've been quite clear on this from the very beginning. When it comes to the FBI we have nothing to say in respect to the Gabby Petito incident. With respect to Brian, we've been cooperating since day one. And those are two different, from a legal perspective, those are two different scenarios, one was the missing persons with Brian, one was the missing persons with Gabby." “

BBM

MOO

ETA. Crazy, I have been looking and asking when BL left for his hike on 9/13. Even rereading these, my mind doesn’t read what it thinks it knows. I just realized SB said BL “walked out the door that EVENiNG”!!
But they then claim after he didn’t come back they searched for 4-5 hrs on Monday night?
I completely missed evening too, but that makes me wonder what he classifies as evening. Daily Mail had pictures of CL cutting grass that day. Fox 13, I think, had Evan Axelbank reporting live at 6 pm in front of the home and there's no Mustang in that footage. Now I can't remember if it was here in the DM pictures, but I'm going back to look. Actually, I don't recall seeing the Mustang there at all in any photos I've found from the 12th. Now I need to look again.

Making me wonder now if BL left the evening of the 11th instead....

I’ve even started to ponder “what evening?”. Sept 13th seems the more obvious day for him to disappear but…the dates were already messed up once BUT, as far as I have seen there is no footage before Sept 13th of the Laundrie house. We know when the car wasn’t there thanks to news reports but there is no footage of the car leaving the house. It wasn’t there when CL was mowing the lawn earlier that day (Sept 13th). What if BL left on Sat 11th when everything came to light or even on Sun 12th? I’ve tried looking for anything the moment the van was towed on Sept 11th but nothing. It would also make sense why there was a police notice on the car at the reserve after only two days, perhaps those two days were actually 4. Has anyone ever said they saw the Mustang leave the house? The police cams, the neighbours, anyone? Aside from the L’s who already messed up on dates…
JMO.
North Port PD had cameras set up around the Laundrie family home but that strategy was not successful. Those who were watching the Laundrie house saw Brian leave in his grey Mustang.

North Port police admit to mistakes in Brian Laundrie investigation

I completely missed evening too, but that makes me wonder what he classifies as evening. Daily Mail had pictures of CL cutting grass that day. Fox 13, I think, had Evan Axelbank reporting live at 6 pm in front of the home and there's no Mustang in that footage. Now I can't remember if it was here in the DM pictures, but I'm going back to look. Actually, I don't recall seeing the Mustang there at all in any photos I've found from the 12th. Now I need to look again.

Making me wonder now if BL left the evening of the 11th instead....
If you are willing to (re)post my photos you have/find of the 12th or 13th, I would be grateful.

BL's DNA to match to Gabby's entire crime scene and remains for a definitive answer of who killed her.

They were essentially living together, sleeping together, so his DNA would be all over her anyway. Finding his DNA on her will prove nothing, unless it was in a place like under her nails. But did BL even have any new scratches on him afterwards? Did LE even check?

The biggest thing I'm wondering about - what is in BL's notebook. This quote is from the story:

"If the contents of the notebook are legible, the next question is whether they’d ever be publicly released.

“Unless there is a civil or criminal proceeding in this case, it’s quite possible we will never know the contents of the notebook,” 8 On Your Side Investigative Journalist and former New York City prosecutor Mahsa Saeidi said."

So we might never find out. Or there might be a civil case brought by Gabby's family.
Or someone writes a book.

They were essentially living together, sleeping together, so his DNA would be all over her anyway. Finding his DNA on her will prove nothing, unless it was in a place like under her nails. But did BL even have any new scratches on him afterwards? Did LE even check?

The next (or only) time LE saw Brian after Gabby's disappearance was when his skeletal remains were found in the swamp. Can’t check for scratches on him by then.

I'm not sure what difference it makes how he died. We can all imagine the scene differently. I personally don't see any sense in taking yourself to a peaceful place and delivering yourself a violent death (such as with a gun, which is the opposite of peaceful). Of course he might have done, with sufficient self-loathing, but I would swallow a handful of pills and lay down and drift into unconsciousness. His body was found in pieces so that could only have been done by animals. The pieces may have been moved about, but probably not very far. The place was allegedly flooded (the area roundabout surely, but including the precise spot where he was found under the trees...? I somehow doubt that).

Anyway, it's all academic. They failed to find the body earlier, but I personally don't believe a wilderness area can or should be searched anything more than superficially because of the cost and the disruption to the environment. They shouldn't have let BL escape in the first place, but that seems to be a Constitutional issue.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
North Port PD had cameras set up around the Laundrie family home but that strategy was not successful. Those who were watching the Laundrie house saw Brian leave in his grey Mustang.

North Port police admit to mistakes in Brian Laundrie investigation

Aha yes I remember now they had seen BL leave on Sept 13th. SB really does have issues getting his times straight because if that’s the case BL would not have left in the evening as he stated IMO because the car was away from early afternoon. Glad I don’t have to wonder if he left earlier (11th or 12th) than we previously thought though! Thank you!!
:)

Did LE even see BL when they went to the house, ever? My skin and circulation are terrible, I am full of scars from my cat’s evil clutches and they are all most scab free after 10 days, I imagine BL after 10-13 days would be pretty much healed if scratched by GP end of August. I doubt IMO opinion LE even had the opportunity to check BL for anything, especially given he wasn’t even a POI back then. However as for the DNA under GP’s nails… one thing is skin but another I’m sure would be skin and blood under her nails and what layers of skin. JMO.

Did LE even see BL when they went to the house, ever? My skin and circulation are terrible, I am full of scars from my cat’s evil clutches and they are all most scab free after 10 days, I imagine BL after 10-13 days would be pretty much healed if scratched by GP end of August. I doubt IMO opinion LE even had the opportunity to check BL for anything, especially given he wasn’t even a POI back then. However as for the DNA under GP’s nails… one thing is skin but another I’m sure would be skin and blood under her nails and what layers of skin. JMO.

I wouldn't find the presence or absence of BL's DNA anywhere on or in GP's body especially persuasive. GP & BL did live together intimately without access to daily showers and without easy access to laundry facilities. People do engage in "back-scratching sex." We also know in the past GP slapped/scratched BL in non-fatal encounters.

Much has been made of the sweatshirt GP was supposedly wearing. Some posters have concluded that meant the attack occurred in the evening. I don't know if that conclusion is valid but if it was evening, her attacker--BL or someone else-- may have had on long sleeves too. That would have limited the bare skin area available to scratch. And last, her body was outdoors for at least 3 weeks after death.
JMO

I wouldn't find the presence or absence of BL's DNA anywhere on or in GP's body especially persuasive. GP & BL did live together intimately without access to daily showers and without easy access to laundry facilities. People do engage in "back-scratching sex." We also know in the past GP slapped/scratched BL in non-fatal encounters.

Much has been made of the sweatshirt GP was supposedly wearing. Some posters have concluded that meant the attack occurred in the evening. I don't know if that conclusion is valid but if it was evening, her attacker--BL or someone else-- may have had on long sleeves too. That would have limited the bare skin area available to scratch. And last, her body was outdoors for at least 3 weeks after death.
JMO
If they didn't find any other persons DNA on or around Gabby, that would say a lot in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay