Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not relevant to what I said, though. Taking the car home and, as well, specifically not asking for LE to help find their presumably endangered or dead son (in the scenario to which I responded), don't have anything to do with protecting their son - unless you are talking about a scenario in which they believed him alive and well and wanted to obscure his possible whereabouts...which isn't the scenario I was addressing.
I’m sorry if I misunderstood your post.

The little-known reporter who broke the biggest story in America

The NewsNation correspondent, Brian Entin, can recall the moment he first heard Ms Petito’s name. The date was 14 September, and he got a call from his station chief to say there was a missing person case that he should look into.

(interesting read; perspective of Brian Entin)

They did help him escape by not watching him closely and saying they thought Roberta was him. So, by incompetence.
I agree, sort of. The thing is, Brian was not a suspect at that time. I would imagine he was not high on their list of things to do and resources to use. They had him under surveillance, though I understand this to be just a camera pointed at the L residence. I guess no one was watching that in real time?

I agree, sort of. The thing is, Brian was not a suspect at that time. I would imagine he was not high on their list of things to do and resources to use. They had him under surveillance, though I understand this to be just a camera pointed at the L residence. I guess no one was watching that in real time?
I think this should be a learning experience. So much of this case was shocking on so many levels. Brian was not a minor and he should have been the one to hand LE the attorney's card. That would have at least have allowed LE to see Brian there.
Also, since Gabby also resided there, the house should have been checked. For all LE knew Gabby was in that house. She was missing and her van was in the driveway, that should have prompted a home search.
And finally I think that it's important to have some kind of reporting for family members who live out of state or are travelling cross country, like Gabby was doing. In cases where someone may need help, precious time is lost while figuring out which state to report to.

The little-known reporter who broke the biggest story in America

TO NOTE:

Where does the investigation go from here?

Brian Laundrie’s remains are being examined by a forensic anthropologist in Sarasota County to try to determine his cause of death.

There is also his personal notebook, retrieved from a dry bag near his body, that may yield some answers.

Then there are all of his digital communications: was he impersonating Ms Petito when texting her family, trying to confuse them and the police? What were his final movements, and messages to friends and family?

“I think the FBI knows a lot of those questions and they will be resolved,” Mr Entin says. “If they close the case those documents will be available through public record searches.”

Mr Entin sees two possibilities from here.

The FBI could quietly wrap up their investigation and never say anything again on the case.

The other more likely scenario is that they lay out the information they have to connect Laundrie to Ms Petito’s death, either via the release of a memo or by holding a press conference.

“If they don’t do that, there’s technically a chance that there’s still a murderer out there,” he says. “I think that would calm the public down and give the Petito’s some kind of closure.”

I was responding to your last sentence in your post. I always wondered the same about his lingering near the crime scene. My thoughts are not how most see it, but I will write it anyway. I don't think BL is what he is portrayed as in social media. Yes, I do believe he killed GP, but I do think it shocked him and sent him into a mental fog due to his anxiety issues. I think that GP and BL fought ALL the time, even before they took off on their road trip. The van life trip just exacerbated their fighting where it became more violent between the two of them,and it does take two people to fight. I do not think BL meant to kill her. Since we don't have the complete autopsy report, I wonder if it was more of a freak accident. Perhaps he grabbed her throat as he had grabbed her face in Moab. He could have been so mad that his anger and strength crushed her windpipe in the process, and she died relatively quickly. It makes me think BL loitered around not believing she was actually dead. I wonder if he left her in the van and ran off in disbelief hoping she would actually still be alive when he returned. When he came back, she would be working on her vlog as he had told the people that he hitchhiked rides with. When he returned, everything was at he left. Perhaps he set her shoes next to her with her backpack and a blanket at the site they had camped at and ran home pretending it didn't happen. I believe that is his MO.....to run away . That way it never really took place. He could pretend it never happened. He couldn't face the consequences, and those consequences were coming in the form of a Long Arm of the Law. I choose to believe BL didn't mean to murder Gabby. It's just that their fights went too far. Should be a lesson to everyone that we should never strike another. In short, he was hoping she wasn't actually deceased. He hoped when he returned, she would be working in the van.
The autopsy finding is that strangulation, not asphyxiation, is the cause of death, so we know she didn't die from a sudden, rapid act of violence. She was manually strangled, which takes at least 3 minutes to kill.

Likely why they retrieved his car? I do find it odd that they did that IF they thought he might still be alive. I just know I'd be ticked off had I gone hiking for a few days to find *my car not where I left it. The fact they retrieved his car has puzzled me for a while. That is, if they thought he was still alive. Otherwise, it makes sense.

ETA *or the car I drove, parked, and found missing when I returned.

Per the timeline, no discussion thread:

Sept 17- LE at BL home - he is declared missing by his parents as of Tuesday

Parents admit driving the mustang back home after finding it at the preserve
It was stickered for towing and if it's like Utah or California, that is a hefty tow bill. They took it home so they didn't have to pay the hundred plus to retrieve it. moo

This has always stuck in my mind:

“I really wish he had come to me first that day with the van because I don’t think we’d be here,” Cassie tells ABC News.

CASSIE LAUNDRIE: 'Just come forward': Brian Laundrie's sister asks him to 'get us out of this horrible mess'

I don't think we'll ever find out much more from any of the family members, but I would be interested to hear what Cassie meant by the statement above.
Great quote by Cassie. I think what she means is that if he had shown up at her house without Gabby and with the van, she would have known something was wrong and would have asked him where Gabby was and would not have settled until she got an answer from him. Then she would have told the police and Gabby's parents, he would have been arrested, she and her parents wouldn't become objects of disgust and anger. And she didn't know it at the time (at least she didn't know for sure), but his suicide could have been prevented.

I think Cassie is a good person, who really did love Gabby, whose kids loved Gabby, and who was genuinely horrified by Gabby's disappearance.

All MOO.

Thanks for your post! It reminded me that I looked again at the Bethunes original footage, and I was counting the seconds off between 'campers'. You are right. There were campers both sides in relatively close proximity. If Gabby was attacked in the late afternoon/evening time, it is possible that other campers heard a commotion or disturbance. This is what is bothering me. Where G&B were camped was not remote. There were people around.

If B attacked G in a 'white rage' or if they had been fighting - would that fight be noisy enough to alert people nearby? After the incident that we can't mention at the place we can't mention either - would this have made them both more aware not to fight where they could be overseen/heard.

This case is most perplexing - but I am sure if any additional information is released - we will all say 'of course!'

The door to the van closing just prior to the Bethune's passing by has always been haunting to me. If Brian is the one who strangled Gabby, I wonder if they were fighting, and when he saw the vehicle approaching, he put his hands around her neck to keep her quiet so they wouldn't be heard as the camper passed by. And he kept his hands there too long....

No. When someone is represented by counsel, and LE has been notified that they have representation, LE can not do this. They can engage in surveillance, but they can not approach a represented person for a chat without clearing it with that person’s attorney.

I believe, as an adult, Brian would be required to state to police that he is represented by an attorney and will not speak with them without the attorney. His dad was not Brian's POA, so I'm pretty sure his father telling the police that Brian had an attorney is of no legal standing. Even so there needs to be some explanation about why LE failed to follow BL to the Mykahatchee environmental Park.

I often think about Gabby’s parents and what Hell they lived in both day and night while she was missing.
Lost. Helpless. Scared. Sick. Day in and day out.
I imagine sleep would only come out of emotional exhaustion, only to wake up every day hoping it was just a bad dream. As well, the shock, disbelief and anger that other people who might hold the key to their despair, refuse to help them. And then, a parent’s worst nightmare came true. The loss. Hopeless. Anger. IMO
That is exactly the same thing the Laundries were going through plus the added horror of idiots camping on their sidewalk and harassing them and the media screeching at them. moo

I am in exactly the same place as you.

How do you know he hiked for 2 days?

I believe he killed her the night of the 28th then in either panic or some psychosis walked the entire night into town. I mean l would be panicking if l just killed someone and out of my mind.

I think his intentions were to get the heck out of dodge as soon as he got to town.

He ended up by the laundromat and public showers. Probably his brain was spinning out on what to do?!

And that is why he tried to hitch a ride to Jackson. That is where the greyhound buses and airport is to leave town.

Then changed his mind and asked to be dropped off by Spread Creek …again in a panic.

imo - we do not know what state he was in nor undying personality issues that could also explain his behavior.

Anyways just my opinion-

FBI probe Brian Laundrie’s texts and emails - follow updates live

LIVE Updates

4 mins ago

‘Gabby’s law’: Joseph Petito calls on states to make it compulsory to report missing persons cases to national database

Gabby Petito’s father is calling on states to make it compulsory to report missing person cases to a national database.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) is a federally funded resource centre to help law enforcement track cases.

The site is described by cold case investigators as the nation’s most effective database for tracking missing persons, but many law enforcement agencies don’t use it.

Only 10 states have passed legislation requiring law enforcement to report missing persons cases.

Joseph Petito, whose daughter was killed during a van-life tour, has become a vocal campaigner in trying to improve the way missing persons cases are investigated.

On Wednesday, he asked his 100,000 followers on Twitter: “Should every state make it a law to report to http://Namus.gov or create a site so that all the missing in all states can be found in 1 database? If yes, tag all the politicians to help make it so.”

Home is one of the only places to see who is missing in all states. Only 10 states made it so law enforcement has to utilize it. Let me know: 1. If you heard of it. 2. If your states doesn’t take part, do you want them to? #gabbypetito #missinginamerica
I don't think it can be named "Gabby's Law" since that is the name for HR 7514 on Sepsis protocols in hospitals. 2 states have already passed Gabby's law but the house is considering making it federal law. Text - H.R.7514 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): Gabby’s Law Act

I think this should be a learning experience. So much of this case was shocking on so many levels. Brian was not a minor and he should have been the one to hand LE the attorney's card. That would have at least have allowed LE to see Brian there.
Also, since Gabby also resided there, the house should have been checked. For all LE knew Gabby was in that house. She was missing and her van was in the driveway, that should have prompted a home search.
And finally I think that it's important to have some kind of reporting for family members who live out of state or are travelling cross country, like Gabby was doing. In cases where someone may need help, precious time is lost while figuring out which state to report to.
The police cannot search a house without a search warrant. Attorney for Search Warrants in St. Petersburg, Florida

FBI probe Brian Laundrie’s texts and emails - follow updates live

LIVE Updates

4 mins ago

‘Gabby’s law’: Joseph Petito calls on states to make it compulsory to report missing persons cases to national database

Gabby Petito’s father is calling on states to make it compulsory to report missing person cases to a national database.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) is a federally funded resource centre to help law enforcement track cases.

The site is described by cold case investigators as the nation’s most effective database for tracking missing persons, but many law enforcement agencies don’t use it.

Only 10 states have passed legislation requiring law enforcement to report missing persons cases.

Joseph Petito, whose daughter was killed during a van-life tour, has become a vocal campaigner in trying to improve the way missing persons cases are investigated.

On Wednesday, he asked his 100,000 followers on Twitter: “Should every state make it a law to report to http://Namus.gov or create a site so that all the missing in all states can be found in 1 database? If yes, tag all the politicians to help make it so.”

Home is one of the only places to see who is missing in all states. Only 10 states made it so law enforcement has to utilize it. Let me know: 1. If you heard of it. 2. If your states doesn’t take part, do you want them to? #gabbypetito #missinginamerica

I agree there should be a national database (*^#%^ that there isn't already), but is this one the right one? Are they equipped, can they scale, why haven't other jurisdictions engaged them, do their systems communicate with state-used systems, do they collect the right info ...it's not so simple as "just do this" if it needs to be done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces