Zach Adams guilty in kidnapping murder of Holly Bobo Sept 23, 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LOL! Yes, in my adult lifetime and I am 70. I hope I am never called again though.

okay that is incredible...no wonder you know so much...and I gather you were permitted to take your notes...so I guess maybe it is not so unusual.

The judge needs to retire, IMO. I'm still shocked he said this was the longest trial he's done in 25yrs! Then, to point to specific jurors and state he knows them, their family, etc.... beyond abnormal. I don't know the law enough to say it's grounds for appeal or anything like that. But that was bizarre!

May the Bobo family rest easier, and enjoy their life. They must find some joy and heal.
Wow I guess I saw him in a different light. I thought he did a great job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The entire reason for change of venue was to obtain a Fair and Impartial Trial. That didn't happen. According to Kenneth Belkin, Jurors can not know the parties involved. This case should have been tried somewhere west of Nashville. That's the bottom line.

See the video on twitter - [video=twitter;911688296920748032]https://twitter.com/Redraider007007/status/911688296920748032[/video]

All of this is incorrect. Also,it was tried west of Nashville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure the defense would LOVE to have the notes, for their appeals. But if a juror doesn't want to share them they can destroy them before they get served.

The defense or any lawyer will not even know who has any notes. Since the jurors were giving back the binder in the jury room, no one would if anyone took any notes. I think that a lawyer will try to subpoena the notes but can't believe they have enough information on who and what they are looking for. A good defense lawyer will swing for that fence if possible.

Holly Hunter should play Jennifer Nichols in the movie.

I believe she did that because ZA had appeared before him previously, which is a different issue. It's certainly not unheard of for a defendant to appear before the same judge more than once.

Certainly not, in what we call a district court. They see the same faces, over and over again; but a jury trial is not influenced by a judge, unless they are seen to be biased, objection wise and allowing of evidence.

I believe she did that because ZA had appeared before him previously, which is a different issue. It's certainly not unheard of for a defendant to appear before the same judge more than once.

i think the major reason Thompson asked for him to recuse himself is about a phone call where the judge told the prosecution the defendant should take a plea ...actually he said they all should. That sounds a bit unusual. Interesting at the end of the day there was a sort of plea deal at least on the sentence.

Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to report what was going on in the courtroom.

If this case had been tried in a big city or California, I have no doubt it would have taken months instead of weeks.

I have conflicting feelings about LWOP. On one hand, I am so glad the Bobos are finished with this animal, on the other hand, I wish he was sitting in a cell alone and confined for 23 hours a day, or more. He does not deserve human contact. His family will be able to visit.
I am sure, he will be up to his evil ways just as soon as he gets to his new home. We all know drugs are rampant in prisons. He will be a big fish where ever he goes. It makes me sick.

I have a question about an appeal in TN if someone could answer it. In the state where I live, a death penalty case is automatically appealed to the state supreme court at taxpayer expense. People receiving conviction with a lesser sentence don't get an automatic free appeal. Those with lesser sentences can appeal, but they have to pay their own lawyer and other fees or find a lawyer to take the appeal on a pro bono basis. My question is if ZA appeals, will he have to pay for it himself.

i think the major reason Thompson asked for him to recuse himself is about a phone call where the judge told the prosecution the defendant should take a plea ...actually he said they all should. That sounds a bit unusual. Interesting at the end of the day there was a sort of plea deal at least on the sentence.

Jeez. Is the judge allowed to have phone conversations with both the prosecution and the defence?

KB had ZA as a student in her 4th grade class. As a retired teacher, I wonder what her impression of him was when she was his teacher. She must have replayed that school year over and over in her head. What a nightmare!

Given the fact that the defense attorney had already asked McGinley to recuse himself ( http://http://www.wsmv.com/story/34379839/attorney-for-suspect-in-holly-bobo-case-asking-for-judge-to-be-recused ), it seems especially reckless.

"In a motion, she has argued that Judge Creed McGinley has shown bias towards the state.

Adams is one of three suspects charged with the rape and murder of Bobo in 2011.

Attorney Jennifer Thompson represents Adams. She said during a recent teleconference between herself, McGinley and the prosecuting attorneys, the judge made several comments that Thompson said clearly illustrate he has made a predetermination of Adams’ guilt. Thompson also believes McGinley was making those statements in an effort to induce a guilty plea.

Thompson quoted McGinley as saying, "If I were representing Zach Adams, and based on new developments in the case and what the court has been led to believe occurred, if I were Mr. Adams' attorney, I'd be beating down the door at 201 Poplar to negotiate a deal."

probably no consequence at all..however it is very common in voir dire to ask each juror if they know or recognize anyone of the attorneys or of course judge. If yes they are questioned further and then each side can decide if that could be a problem. So the fact that occurs leads me to believe it can make a difference.

That's true, if the judge was the jurors good family friend and he called him Uncle Joe and spent holidays with him. But if it is just a matter of the judge knowing his father, as they are probably the same age, grew up in same area, then I don't think i tis an issue.

I highly doubt the judge would have said that,on camera, if it was a case of them all being very close friends.

I have had plenty of people say to me, over the years, I knew your father, because he was an attorney and so he knew a lot of people ---and I rarely knew any of them.

"In a motion, she has argued that Judge Creed McGinley has shown bias towards the state.

Adams is one of three suspects charged with the rape and murder of Bobo in 2011.

Attorney Jennifer Thompson represents Adams. She said during a recent teleconference between herself, McGinley and the prosecuting attorneys, the judge made several comments that Thompson said clearly illustrate he has made a predetermination of Adams’ guilt. Thompson also believes McGinley was making those statements in an effort to induce a guilty plea.

Thompson quoted McGinley as saying, "If I were representing Zach Adams, and based on new developments in the case and what the court has been led to believe occurred, if I were Mr. Adams' attorney, I'd be beating down the door at 201 Poplar to negotiate a deal."

That is pretty standard, for judge to try and get the attorneys to make a plea deal, and avoid costly trials. My father was pressured to do that many times. Often, it is in the defendants best interests. ZA may have gotten a much better plea than LWOP if his attorney had considered it.

right I should have qualified that...if disclosed and discussed and okay with all parties no problem. I think the point is there is some question as to whether this was moved far enough away...I don't know how hard the defense atty fought for that...no matter what I think she would have lost.

And I don't think it is clear that the jurors he pointed out knew him personally. He could have easily recognized last names, and he saw info about them, and could realize he knew their families---- but that does not mean the jurors knew him personally.

KB had ZA as a student in her 4th grade class. As a retired teacher, I wonder what her impression of him was when she was his teacher. She must have replayed that school year over and over in her head. What a nightmare!

I know. How horrible would that have been for her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back