Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #103

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad to read this. Haven't been in this thread for a bit, RL can be busy even when we stay home. It's helps to have some supportive community for those of us that still want to be safe, or feel more safe staying home. My grandbabies are around me, however I'm fully vaccinate mostly so I can be around them. Just now reading up on the new strain and it appears we are still protected.

So glad to hear I am not alone with my hesitation to run back to pre pandemic social life. Happy Holidays to all of you.

This thread often reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where one family has a bomb shelter in their basement. I know many of you have had conflicts with friends and family over Covid. Do you think that when (if) this ends, those relationships will be restored, or will there be lingering animosity? Will you be able to go back to normal with people who flaunted every protocol from the beginning?

I think it's important to keep in mind that it's not the entire class (or type) of a medication. So not all antidepressants, or high cholesterol drugs are included. There are specific medications listed.
So for example if someone is taking an antidepressant they can look at the list and see that bupropion and trazodone are the two specific drugs listed that are contraindicated.

It’s important to note that, for example, bupropion should be “monitored for an adequate clinical response” (presumably worsening depression) whereas trazadone has an array of serious potential side effects and “a lower dose of trazadone should be considered.” So even within the same class of drugs, there are different concerns.

This thread often reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where one family has a bomb shelter in their basement. I know many of you have had conflicts with friends and family over Covid. Do you think that when (if) this ends, those relationships will be restored, or will there be lingering animosity? Will you be able to go back to normal with people who flaunted every protocol from the beginning?
For me, personally, I have no let Covid ruin my relationships with friends and family. Vaxxed, unvaxxed…..isolated, not isolated….. we all respect each other’s decisions and that’s that. It’s disheartening to watch TBH.

It’s important to note that, for example, bupropion should be “monitored for an adequate clinical response” (presumably worsening depression) whereas trazadone has an array of serious potential side effects and “a lower dose of trazadone should be considered.” So even within the same class of drugs, there are different concerns.
Great point!

This is a hypothetical question for me. I’ve been very fortunate that my entire extended family and circle of friends have all been on the same page and didn’t flaut protocols. But if they had, it could make me think about whether our ethical and moral standards are far enough apart to make a normal relationship difficult or impossible. It would depend on how aggressively they had promoted their point of view with me and whether they pressured me to endanger myself in order to associate with them. I would have expressed my beliefs firmly one time and let it drop, while avoiding further discussion if they were firmly entrenched in their point of view. But honestly, I would have a hard time respecting someone who minimized covid and didn’t care about protecting others. JMO

For me, personally, I have no let Covid ruin my relationships with friends and family. Vaxxed, unvaxxed…..isolated, not isolated….. we all respect each other’s decisions and that’s that. It’s disheartening to watch TBH.

I'm like you. We choose to have conflict or we choose to understand each person is an individual. That applies to both sides. JMO

The trouble is, these decisions are not equally scientifically correct or beneficial for society as a whole during a pandemic, and it concerns me when people view them as equivalent. We have received very clear guidance* from respected and experienced epidemiologists throughout the pandemic. So to refuse to obey mandates or strong recommendations to mask, isolate and vaccinate is irresponsible no matter how you cut it.

*Just because the guidance has occasionally changed is not an excuse to dismiss it. This is a novel (i.e. new) corona virus and knowledge is expanding as time goes by.

ETA: Added word.

Last edited:
When a person knows they are sick with obvious Covid symptoms (lies/ hide it because they don’t believe in Covid or thinks “it’s just a flu”), lies that they have been vaccinated, etc and I base my decision to let them around my family or in my house for a visit and the family gets Covid putting one in the hospital and trying to manage the fallout afterwards with work, daycare, doctor visits, etc?

Yes, absolutely those relationships are permanently damaged.

Relationships are damaged when a person dimishes Covid whether mild, moderate, just a little permanent lung damage or death when you had a family member, friend or coworker die from Covid.

(Nope, they weren’t 80 with underlying health issues either)
JMO

I'm like you. We choose to have conflict or we choose to understand each
My MIL isn’t vaxxed. She has an autoimmune disease that if she gets a vaccine it will rear it’s ugly and painful head. She said she’d rather take her chances with Covid. I’ve seen what her autoimmune has done to her in the past and I’m pretty sure she was on the brink of suicide. So I try not to judge others and why they make the decisions they make. Everyone has their reasoning and it’s not for me to judge. To think these “unvaxxed” people are out to get you is preposterous IMO.

When a person knows they are sick with obvious Covid symptoms (lies or tries to hide it because they don’t believe in Covid or thinks “it’s just a flu”), lies that they have been vaccinated, etc and I base my decision to let them around my family or in my house for a visit and the family gets Covid putting one in the hospital and trying to manage the fallout afterwards with work, daycare, doctor visits, etc?

Yes, absolutely those relationships are permanently damaged.

Relationships are damaged when a person dimishes Covid whether mild, moderate, just a little permanent lung damage or death when you had a family member, friend or coworker die from Covid.

(Nope, they weren’t 80 with underlying health issues either)
JMO
I’m sorry that you have friends and family who deliberately lie to you. But that’s not the vast majority I would imagine.

My MIL isn’t vaxxed. She has an autoimmune disease that if she gets a vaccine it will rear it’s ugly and painful head. She said she’d rather take her chances with Covid. I’ve seen what her autoimmune has done to her in the past and I’m pretty sure she was on the brink of suicide. So I try not to judge others and why they make the decisions they make. Everyone has their reasoning and it’s not for me to judge. To think these “unvaxxed” people are out to get you is preposterous IMO.

The question had to do with people who “flout protocols,” which your MIL is not doing…unless of course she refused to mask or isolate if she feels sick. Unfortunately, many people’s “reasoning” is totally at odds with science and the good of society (love of neighbor, if you will), so IMO it would be wise to reevaluate one’s relationship with them. That’s not harsh “judgement” that’s discerning who people really are when they show you and deciding you are not compatible. JMO

Last edited:
It wasn’t a friend or family member! Yikes!
Neighbor. Home Health care. Person my cousin didn’t even know but was at a birthday party.
Oh well that’s good to know. I will never understand people sometimes. If I’m not feeling well I just stay home. Same with my kids in school. If they aren’t feeling well they stay home. No harm no foul. Deliberately going somewhere when you’re sick, at least while Covid is still running around, is pretty crazy. My kids go to a private school and it’s up to parents to decide if their kids are sick or not before sending to school each day. An honor system. Masks are optional. Vaccines aren’t mandated and so far we haven’t had any issues. Because if your kid is sick you keep them home. It’s not that difficult.

Oh well that’s good to know. I will never understand people sometimes. If I’m not feeling well I just stay home. Same with my kids in school. If they aren’t feeling well they stay home. No harm no foul. Deliberately going somewhere when you’re sick, at least while Covid is still running around, is pretty crazy. My kids go to a private school and it’s up to parents to decide if their kids are sick or not before sending to school each day. An honor system. Masks are optional. Vaccines aren’t mandated and so far we haven’t had any issues. Because if your kid is sick you keep them home. It’s not that difficult.

Vaxxed, unvaxxed…..isolated, not isolated….. we all respect each other’s decisions and that’s that. It’s disheartening to watch TBH.

But if a parent violates the honor system and sends their kid to school sick, do you “respect their decision” to endanger your child? Sincere question.

The question had to do with people who “flaut protocols,” which your MIL is not doing…unless of course she refused to mask or isolate if she feels sick. Unfortunately, many people’s “reasoning” is totally at odds with science and the good of society (love of neighbor, if you will), so IMO it would be wise to reevaluate one’s relationship with them. That’s not harsh “judgement” that’s discerning who people really are when they show you and deciding you are not compatible. JMO
Right but in that same argument why is it any of your (not YOU- general you) business what someone’s reasons are for not getting it. I don’t think people are out to be unvaxxed and ruin everyone’s lives by giving everyone Covid. I haven’t vaxxed my kids because I’m still unsure if that’s what I’m comfortable with. I had a bad reaction to the vaccine as did my husband so we aren’t boosting and that made me pause in giving it to my kids. I just need time and there are many other people in my exact position. I’m just saying. It’s not always black and white.

But if a parent violates the honor system and sends their kid to school sick, do you “respect their decision” to endanger your child? Sincere question.
Well, that’s an entirely different situation. I’m more referring to vaxxed vs unvaxxed. I would be annoyed absolutely but that hasnt been the case

Our main health aide that works for numerous residents here...in and out of their apartments all day long, doesn't mask...she is going to Vegas for NYE weekend. Big gambler, Can't stay away.

Apparently doesn't mind gambling with her health.

Few places, on that night, will have more people close together inside.

New Year's fireworks returning to Las Vegas strip after COVID pandemic prompted 2020 hiatus

sema07_t600.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I meant “isolated not isolated” meaning just in general. I don’t know many people who are hiding at home however there are a few who are more cautious for whatever reason and choose not to partake in certain circumstances/activities. Everyone I know isolates if they are sick and especially if they pop positive. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anon_11