JLM: 2002 Rape Allegations at Liberty University

Wow. This is disgusting. Really makes you think who that honor code is protecting, sure isn't the students. MOO.

especially, knowing what we know now about the links forensic link between MH and HG

but sick eitherway

especially, knowing what we know now about the links forensic link between MH and HG

but sick eitherway

I'm still in shock about it, going to need a big dose of Disney movies or something to cleanse my thoughts of all this pain inflicted on these innocent young women :(

I'm still in shock about it, going to need a big dose of Disney movies or something to cleanse my thoughts of all this pain inflicted on these innocent young women :(

the only bright side is, they have him

Thanks for moving this :)
I'm still a little disoriented by the lack of general thread!

Goodness. They need to be held accountable. Imagine if the 2002 rape had been aggressively pursued when it was reported.

Liberty University has policies against PDA - kissing, hand holding, etc. The accusation of rape would be pretty detrimental. UVA has never expelled a male student accused (or convicted in criminal court) of rape. I think it's pretty severe that Liberty expelled JM on the basis of an accusation in which the victim decided not to proceed with.

Wow. This is disgusting. Really makes you think who that honor code is protecting, sure isn't the students. MOO.

I 100% agree with this.

I went to Liberty University for 3 semesters (2012-2013) before transferring. The way LU handled their rules & discipline was a main factor of why I left.

At Liberty, my best friend/roommate was sexually assaulted by an athlete as well. 2 of my other close friends had been sexually assaulted within our freshman year also. In October, my roommate had been at a party past curfew (against the rules) and drinking (against the rules) so she did not report her rape to the school at first because she was scared she would get in trouble for drinking and being out past curfew. She finally broke down and reported it in February 4 months later. Lynchburg PD and LUPD were involved. I even had to give a statement. Since so much time had passed, Lynchburg PD could do nothing since there was lack of evidence. However, LU did expel the guy. My other 2 friends never reported their assaults in fear of getting in trouble with student conduct for breaking rules (curfew, etc)

Goodness. They need to be held accountable. Imagine if the 2002 rape had been aggressively pursued when it was reported.

This. A million times over. Morgan Harrington and Hannah Graham would more than likely be with us - and a woman in Fairfax would have been spared a brutal rape.

Liberty University has policies against PDA - kissing, hand holding, etc. The accusation of rape would be pretty detrimental. UVA has never expelled a male student accused (or convicted in criminal court) of rape. I think it's pretty severe that Liberty expelled JM on the basis of an accusation in which the victim decided not to proceed with.

:wagon: to Websleuths, wall0214!

:gthanks: for joining us in the forum for Hannah. :wave:

Seems to me she could, up to the date the statute of limitations allows... Did she have a rape kit done? That would be the 1st question from LE and her attorney. IMO, that would be the sine qua non of the investigation. Gotta have that, methinks.
I'm sorry that I'm late coming into this thread as I was hovering over the MH thread and once it broke ~ I couldn't get away.
But, I have to add here, if it hasn't already been covered, as shocking as it might seem that the rape survivor does not have the privilege of choosing whether or not she will press charges. It is up to the DA's office. They decide if they have a strong enough case or not.

I'm sorry that I'm late coming into this thread as I was hovering over the MH thread and once it broke ~ I couldn't get away.
But, I have to add here, if it hasn't already been covered, as shocking as it might seem that the rape survivor does not have the privilege of choosing whether or not she will press charges. It is up to the DA's office. They decide if they have a strong enough case or not.

I could be wrong, but the way I've been interpreting things is that she did not want to follow through. Without her testimony against him, they really wouldn't have a case. I'm sure they probably discussed it with the victim beforehand, and decided that if put on the stand, she was not going to be a good witness at that point -- if she had started to back down out of fear or shame or whatever.

I also wonder if DAs often follow the wishes of a victim, when it comes to sex crimes. To someone who doesn't want to take it to trial, to be put on the stand and relive it would be like being victimized all over again. Unfortunately, that's also what is needed to stop a rapist from being on the streets and raping again, and again...

Love, love, love my now adult daughter. She is so exceptional, outstanding and well rounded that she earned a Presidential nomination to the Air Force Academy. The Academy is a very tight and closed entity, much like what I hear of Liberty University. High standards, loudly touted moral codes of ethics and respect for authority demanded. She was raped in her second year there by another cadet. Even though he confessed, the Academy chose not to bring him to trial. They claimed they didn't have enough evidence. (They did kick him out.) They told us we were free to pursue a civil trial if we felt it was necessary but they could not see how that would advance my daughter's career in the AF. The bone they gave us: all of the cadets would now be allowed to lock their doors.
A couple of years later the entire scandal was revealed about all of the suppressed rape accusations being mishandled and dismissed. Our testimony was even included in the Congressional investigation of the crime.
All this to say ~ Yes!!!! All educational entities will try their best to keep their "safety" statistics in a good range, regardless of the injury it may cause innocents. Especially those institutes who tout their moral ethics.
DD is doing fantastic! In spite of all of the shunning she suffered from her fellow cadets, she graduated with honors, earned her wings, flew for a few years and now is a happy wife and mother of two.
But, yeah ~ those schools don't always have the welfare of the rape victim (or the future victims) as their first priority. Bless them all!

JMO, but this case proves EXACTLY why colleges need to be held to task more with regards to how they handle sexual assault and rape cases. They need to be made to cooperate with actual law enforcement more, and punished for sweeping crimes under the rug. Liberty University sounds like its especially negligent, but I have heard so many horror stories from friends (male and female) who were treated appallingly by their college or university after making a rape accusation. Enough is enough. Sexual assault is a damn good predictor for escalated violence. And even without that caveat, so many young adults are being victimized at college and not being protected in any way. Yes, I'm still in favor of innocent until proven guilty, but so many rape victims are treated as the guilty party. The way the American university system handles rape is just appalling.

The bone they gave us: all of the cadets would now be allowed to lock their doors.

How generous of them. :rolleyes:

I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing well despite how she was treated. She's lucky to have you as her parent!

I 100% agree with this.

I went to Liberty University for 3 semesters (2012-2013) before transferring. The way LU handled their rules & discipline was a main factor of why I left.

At Liberty, my best friend/roommate was sexually assaulted by an athlete as well. 2 of my other close friends had been sexually assaulted within our freshman year also. In October, my roommate had been at a party past curfew (against the rules) and drinking (against the rules) so she did not report her rape to the school at first because she was scared she would get in trouble for drinking and being out past curfew. She finally broke down and reported it in February 4 months later. Lynchburg PD and LUPD were involved. I even had to give a statement. Since so much time had passed, Lynchburg PD could do nothing since there was lack of evidence. However, LU did expel the guy. My other 2 friends never reported their assaults in fear of getting in trouble with student conduct for breaking rules (curfew, etc)

This is terrifying. I hope you were happy with the college you transferred to. College is stressful enough without worrying if the administration will take your side after a sexual assault. Awful.

I hope that three things will happen as a result of this story from Liberty U.

1. I hope the victim comes forward--if not to the public, at least to LE. Her description of what happened to her could help shed light on JLM's MO, and could greatly help with the search for Hannah. By this I mean that if JLM tried to romance his victim by taking her to a "lover's lane" type place with a nice view, that implies he might have done the same with Hannah. But if his approach was brutal from the get-go, we might change the priority of those sites in our current search.

2. I hope schools will see that failure to realistically deal with sexual assault can literally lead to a situation where a dangerous person is allowed to fly under the radar for years. Had this incident been charged and JLM convicted, even of some lesser sexual assault, JLM would have had to register as a sex offender and it's far less likely we'd be searching for HG today. Heck, JLM might even have been able to get help, change his ways and go on to lead a far more normal life.

3. Most of all, I hope that everyone on this board will go out into everyday life and share the message that there is no such thing as "implied" consent to sex. This whole grey area business allows for muddying up the distinction between sex and rape, and it's not good for our kids. The standard should be: old enough, sober enough, and most of all, enthusiastic. This whole "she/he didn't say no" or "she/he led me on" stuff needs to go out the window. Teaching girls to walk with a friend and lock their doors is all well and good as far as it goes, but parents need to give their sons the message that if it ain't enthusiastic, it ain't consent.

And now I will get off the soapbox.

Why were JLM and the young woman out so late behind the Vines building?

Solved that one: She probably got home a lot earlier, beaten, bruised and hysterical, needing to be hospitalized, and it took a lot of time for her room mate to comfort her and get the story, then to talk her into reporting it at 4:25 am (police report filed). Imagine her her PTSD state of mind and inability to function.

Morgan Harrington's body suffered broken bones and worse. There is likely to be the same kind of brutality suffered by other JLM victims. Don't be fooled by the 'gentle giant' meme.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lcd115
Back